As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take some [photos] and show me them

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nice.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Oh hey something in colour

2dzkxcs8drw3.jpg

(I was on holiday in Athens)

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I love street art.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I love street art.

In that case I can highly recommend Athens

8y1nafjrpkiu.jpg

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    A couple of pics over the last few months.

ieriz1h7suf3.jpg
    4u8y4qyqwmct.jpg
    p39el1jw08f7.jpg

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    70i8r3siwpmh.jpeg

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Love the backlit fog and cloud

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I didn't know I needed to see a high res glossy jpeg of a crouton. But I did.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I didn't know I needed to see a high res glossy jpeg of a crouton. But I did.

Thanks. Not sure why I thought to take a picture of that but looked cool with the blue lighting.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just had my weekly or so breakdown at work and took this after

roiuk6eie1sr.jpeg

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited March 8
    Back from Mexico, saw some things and took photos of them as one is want to do. It will never be as deeply meaningful as a single tear after a breakdown but maybe few things are

53575531319_0e5f497b91_c.jpg

53575649435_80589435eb_c.jpg

53575499824_f2b65a6185_c.jpg

53575410403_6bc5037f7e_c.jpg

53575499869_7aa046760f_c.jpg

53575617850_0269494809_c.jpg

53574308857_08c50aeee9_c.jpg

53575383083_ef3f65ed31_c.jpg

53575410393_93847d3965_c.jpg

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited March 9
    My new apartment. Just needs some flooring and things like a fridge and washing machine, but it's mine.

c3snrkwfigvc.jpg
    u4ljs1ciqyut.jpg

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Just got back from an elopement / honeymoon in Kauai. Ended up wishing I had brought one more lens but ultimately pretty happy with how the shots / edits came out and definitely going to get a few printed and framed

rfx8n1q6tx39.png

iudwm9g2zx7g.png

kx7a3bzd3bl3.png

ty6kqtke8jpk.png

x1kzm912uct3.png

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Dat Pollo de Gallo thollo

• Options
    VampireFourVampireFour Sir Registered User regular
    vv80akhaay0e.jpg
    Practicing my skills. Any thoughts?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 13
    a couple relatively small things

first, it looks like your horizon is at a bit of an odd angle. you don't have to have a perfectly flat horizon but it's generally considered good technique (I can imagine this being a conscious choice to frame the couple better). second, and this really is minor and might only get noticed by other photo folks if they're specifically looking for it, but having that little bit of the sun underneath the guy's nose is a little distracting. a slight angle adjustment to either get rid of it completely, or maybe get it placed centrally between them (depending on what that did to the light balance) would probably help the composition (although that's very much something you're not guaranteed to catch when actually taking the shot)

really nice shot though, good subjects, good composition, the emotion of the people involved comes through really clearly even in total shadow

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 13
    Aside from what Houk said (all good) there's a few more details:

1) give your subjects room to breathe. There should be a bit more room between them
    2) whatever is in the background is colliding with the woman's hair--give her room to breathe
    3) more contrast with the cloud and the guy's head would be helpful--again, it gives him room to breathe

Overall it's a nice moment. Just need to pay attention to the details to bring it to the next level.

I'm a sucker for sunset silhouettes, and you're working well with what you've got there.

Orca on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yup, also good points

this is kind of a good example of how easy it is to focus just on your subject and lose track of the little bits of everything else, especially in a shot like this where the subjects are so centrally focused. always important to take a second to evaluate the entire composition

• Options
    I want to call out that you've got a good use of depth of field here. Notice how the eye is drawn to sharpness in the image, and that's part of what makes the silhouette work here despite the relatively low contrast for most of the two subjects.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I dug up some moss at work yesterday to take home because why not. It's very soft and pretty, I think it's star moss

30eej5k1wul0.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    First time going out to the botanical gardens to take a few photos this morning with my new camera

Hopefully I can upload some of these well enough with a little shrinking I did without more processing

Here are a couple of ones I though turned out okay, it was a very bright sunny day so most things are going to be very brightly lit though I was using my light meter to balance exposure with both the aperture and the shutter speed.

Anyways here we gooooo

n9u1ivkme4wi.jpg

Apparently I could only get one of them small enough to upload to the forums haha

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Okay let's try this for the rest of them I transferred them wirelessly from the camera at reduced instead of full size from the sd card

pf1kc80xvsk5.jpg
    z8z07p4y4pln.jpg
    bc4wzhwdxpwk.jpg
    9bakuafc1hng.jpg
    kwckvcawm9ay.jpg

EDIT: I know my composition needs some work, and I need to dial in how to really play with depth of field, but I can't wait till it starts to bloom more in april and get some more cool pictures.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Tallahasseeriel

Great pictures, looks like a cool place

Glad you got to enjoy it!

• Options
    Do you guys think it would be worth grabbing a lens filter and trying to get some photos of the eclipse coming up even though I only have the kit lens and not a telephoto?

I would probably want a tripod too I guess if I end up having to turn the shutter speed down? I still need to get a bag and cleaning kit anyway too.

• Options
    Do you guys think it would be worth grabbing a lens filter and trying to get some photos of the eclipse coming up even though I only have the kit lens and not a telephoto?

I would probably want a tripod too I guess if I end up having to turn the shutter speed down? I still need to get a bag and cleaning kit anyway too.

It can be worthwhile but you need not an ND filter, but a solar filter. A solar filter is designed to dump something like 20 stops and take the heat of doing so, a regular ND filter is not. You should also only use the back panel, not the viewfinder, when framing up. I've seen people use black tape or somethign over the viewfinder so they don't screw up.

Something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1574799-REG/haida_hd4610_red_diamond_nd5_0_128000x_filter.html

This particular one requires use of a filter holder. You can probably find a screw-in filter, but you need to know your filter thread.

A tripod is required as well since a) you don't want to look at the sun and b) you're dumping so much light you'll need the tripod for stability.

Once the sun has reached totality--the Bailey's Beads have disappeared--it's safe to take the filter off and view the sun with your bare eyes. You'll only have a few minutes though, because as soon as the Bailey's beads reappear you need to filter up again.

• Options
    edited March 30
    Something like Photopills for predicting the sun's alignment relative to whatever you're photographing will help you with framing too. Keep in mind the sun itself is almost the same size as the moon for help in understanding how large it will be inside your frame.

I've seen some neat time-lapses so if your camera supports it, or if you have an external trigger for it, you might consider doing one! You can also do the classic merge of the different phases of the eclipse into one image, which can look cool too.

Orca on
  • Options
    Ah okay it seems a little complicated for me just starting out with photography anyway

I'll probably watch with my solar glasses I've got and look up pictures more experienced people take later on.

• Options
    Ah okay it seems a little complicated for me just starting out with photography anyway

I'll probably watch with my solar glasses I've got and look up pictures more experienced people take later on.

If you just want to run and gun it, you can use your camera during totality (when it's safe to take off your solar glasses). You'll only have a few minutes though so...yeah, experiencing the moment is probably a better use of your time in that case. It does unfortunately require some setup to avoid damaging yourself or your equipment.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Agreed on all that except one thing to note: if he's using a mirrorless (which I think was the case?), the viewfinder thing is probably moot since it's not going to be an actual optical viewfinder, just an electronic one.

*with a couple of rare but notable exceptions like the Fuji X-Pro series that sport hybrid viewfinders.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Agreed on all that except one thing to note: if he's using a mirrorless (which I think was the case?), the viewfinder thing is probably moot since it's not going to be an actual optical viewfinder, just an electronic one.

*with a couple of rare but notable exceptions like the Fuji X-Pro series that sport hybrid viewfinders.

Even with mirrorless, it’s too easy to accidentally end up with an eye open. IMO the viewfinder should be considered off-limits except during totality.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The starting line of a 5k I did last weekend. The race started just after sunset, so we all were required to have headlamps.

P2ayd9e.jpg

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    It's beginning to look like it'll be mostly cloudy on the 8th anyways. That would be a bummer.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    All 8-day forecasts are bullshit, but cloud cover forecasts more than 2 days out are completely and utterly useless. Unless there's an atmospheric river or a hurricane coming in, the only cloud forecast that matters is the morning of, and then only maybe.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It was nice for the last 3 days and then high winds blew in
    As I came home from running my errand I heard the call of feathered cobras
    zginniee4vso.png
    A mere 5 minute walk from my house

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    they have come to stalk your fields and shit on them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    they have come to stalk your fields and shit on them

My yard is full of cactus and sagebrush

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    less your fields specifically and more your general region's fields

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bigger, meaner cacti. More sagebrush. Also alfalfa, but only where you're drilling for fossil water.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    less your fields specifically and more your general region's fields

There was an area of undeveloped land about 2 blocks away from my house that I called the sagebrush preserve it was where most of the coyotes lived. They are building condos/apts in the area so the coyotes have moved into the area and can be seen
    THe rabbits bred with someone's pet rabbit so they now have weird coats spotted or blotchy so they do the dumb thing of I'm a furry rock so they look just weird

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    skjwc7tcqnhw.jpeg
    04hq6vueh3oe.jpeg
    rwj8szd3yu2h.jpeg