As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take some [photos] and show me them

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Today I hung out with an ostrich for a while and now I'm obsessed with their weirdass ears

4j0j5coufaer.jpg

If I may, I believe we appear to be looking at weird assears.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    What's up with that bump on his neck?

I hear ostriches are assholes.

I believe it.

I mean just look at him. You can tell.

Did you know Johnny Cash got beat up by an ostrich one time? It's a thing I learned.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I believe it.

Did you know Johnny Cash got beat up by an ostrich one time? It's a thing I learned.

They really are assholes. We have a wildlife refuge thing here where you can drive around and hand feed elk and giraffes and zebra and stuff, but I roll up my windows when ostrich are near. I've had them peck me too many times to take another chance

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That bump on his neck is filled with pure rage and hatred.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It's residual scarring from where the second head was removed.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's residual scarring from where the second head was removed.

If you don't immediately cauterize it do 2 additional heads pop up?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    No, that's a hydra. To make an ostrich you just have to kill one half of a doduo.

sarukun on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2018
    RT800 wrote: »

I believe it.

He's eating something
    ... No wait I mean it's the head scar thing. Definitely that.

Ostriches are absolutely jerks but I gotta say in the cash v ostrich confrontation I'm siding with the bird. He pretty much asked for it.

tynic on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i hope you enjoy and appreciate these bees

DbMfgszVMAElN8m.jpg
    DbMfjztU0AAYon3.jpg
    DbMfstPU0AAxam6.jpg

• Options
    gosh, it was nearly a year ago that I was in france and seeing bumblebees for the first time and they were absolutely fascinating. Honey-bees are great in their own way, but bumblebees are phenominally cool and chill in their own way.

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    gosh, it was nearly a year ago that I was in france and seeing bumblebees for the first time and they were absolutely fascinating. Honey-bees are great in their own way, but bumblebees are phenominally cool and chill in their own way.

I had never seen one until a couple of years ago at work. I thought a bumblebee was just another name for a honey bee until I saw a bumblebee flitting around some flowers next to honeybees.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

I had never seen one until a couple of years ago at work. I thought a bumblebee was just another name for a honey bee until I saw a bumblebee flitting around some flowers next to honeybees.

they are big and fluffy all over and aren't itchy or irritating at all when they land on you, not even like other insects

also i'm just gonna use this as an opportunity to post this photo

DbNGPtaU8AEebhw.jpg

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Someone once told me the giant "chicken drumsticks" at renfaires are ostrich legs. So if you want payback for all those times they've been a giant dick to you...

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bumblebees are amazing. Here we have carpenter bees which are like bumblebees but come in weird colours like black and white. I love bees.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Bees are awesome

fucking love bees

• Options
    This forum sure has done a big ol’ 180 on bees.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    This forum sure has done a big ol’ 180 on bees.

Are you confusing bees with wasps?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bees are great and a vital part of our ecosystem.

Wasps are also sometimes a somewhat vital part of our ecosystem but they are aggressive little bodies of hate so fuck them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That's not actually true and often wasps are the victims of slander. They can be just as chilled as bees. They only really get aggressive towards the end of summer when all their food is disappearing and they start starving to death. And hey, everybody gets hangry.

• Options
    I have been attacked, on 4 separate occasions, by whole nests of wasps.

Like 20+ wasps/hornets biting the fuck out of me. Because I had the audacity to be in their vicinity and being not a wasp!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm fairly positive I ran a 2 minute mile that day too.

• Options
    bumblebees are funny because instead of hoarding food and producing honey to survive the winter, their strategy is to just die

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I have been attacked, on 4 separate occasions, by whole nests of wasps.

Like 20+ wasps/hornets biting the fuck out of me. Because I had the audacity to be in their vicinity and being not a wasp!

I have only ever been stung one time, and that was by a red wasp when I was like 3 years old and minding my own business. It was in the car with us and my grandmother told me it wouldn't bother me if I didn't bother it, so I didn't. It stung me anyway.

That's when I learned that anything that flies and stings is to be feared and hated, and that my grandmother was a filthy fucking liar

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Just kidding, my grandmother was a lovely woman and I miss her very much. I also slowly got over my terror of flying, stinging insects and even leave wasps alone (unless they're building nests near my house. A few random wasps flying around isn't a big deal, but a whole nest of the aggressive little shits isn't something I want nearby)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    So one of the four times I've been attacked (I've told the wood pile one here before but not this one I don't think): I apparently annoyed a nest that was underground near a some wild blueberry and huckleberry bushes.

We were picking them and I felt a poke on my leg and thought it must've been a thorn because there were occasionally blackberries and stuff tangled up in these bushes.

Then I felt another.

Then another.

I thought I was being clumsy so I looked down at my leg and saw 4 wasps climbing into my jean pantleg. I shook my leg and 8 wasps flew out.

So, I screamed "AHHHHH WASPS" and started running.

I ran ~1.5 miles in what felt like 25 seconds all the way home from my friend's house in the woods. When I got there I ripped off my clothes (this is a common enough thing that I have learned the steps to do it -- which I learned the first time it happened because a friend and I were playing near a wood pile) and there was at least 15 wasps still on me.

I slept the whole rest of the day after my mom basically only woke me up to dose me with benadryl. According to my dad he had spent the next hour fighting wasps in our house.

To date those wasps were more painful than any of the other ones. Fucking yellowjackets.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Bees are like sewage treatment facilities: I’m sure they’re very important and good at what they do, but I don’t want to be anywhere around them.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Woods are pretty

py4p0avm8qyr.jpeg

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Holiday view...

IMG_20180420_154200.jpg

• Options
    Infinity loop
    7720h1fs4foy.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Hiking with my little girl today. Verrrry strong wind coming off the lake.

u0pv9se0cf2w.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Wasn't aware of gorn until now, and now I want to be MORE aware of it...

• Options
    edited April 2018
    bumblebees are funny because instead of hoarding food and producing honey to survive the winter, their strategy is to just die

Role models, to be sure.

sarukun on
  • Options
    @Brovid Hasselsmof thanks for turning me onto this thread. Been enjoying seeing more of your photos here as well as everyone else's. Like the spirit of this thread as something a little different than the AC. Good to step out of that bubble now and again.

My dog:
    40715540315_b31d45b8db_c.jpgIMG_6023 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

My Brother's Dog:
    40715540565_822228e151_c.jpgIMG_5959 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    duggs

Meet our newest puppy, Doug the Pug. He's 4 months old and we got him a week ago and he's just the best.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    duggs

Meet our newest puppy, Doug the Pug. He's 4 months old and we got him a week ago and he's just the best.

:biggrin:

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    DZpz2E2U0AAAynt.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Love how much that tree stands out Dapper.

Came across this old convenience store in a very small town in the mountains today.
    41654027881_efb95ae36d_c.jpg

Prospicience on