As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    If she does as much as the former Press Secretary (ie, fucking jack shit), she can probably handle both jobs.

I mean, how hard is it to just not do Press Conferences?

Look! I'm not doing one right now! It's easy!

MorganV on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    She used to be Melania's spokeswoman, so apparently she already knows how to spin everything they do, and she's been with them for a while so she'll happily be a good little worker bee and bear all the slings and arrows of the press while Donald goes batshit on Twitter.

I give it until the end of the year, tops.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    She could be the entire WH communications department and still never need to show up at the office.

Actually sounds like a cushy gig if you don't mind working for a rapist.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Tomanta wrote: »

Pretty common in this administration. Including at least one SCOTUS clerkship.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The Acting Director of ICE will be the new Acting Director of the CBP and the new Acting Director of ICE will be Matt Albence who has already been the Acting Director of ICE once before when the previous Director stepped down back in April.

Roque Planas of Huffington Post: Mark Morgan, a man who claimed on Fox News to be able to identify "soon-to-be MS-13" gang members by looking child migrants in the eye, will now head an agency that has thousands of child migrants in its care.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Welp, guess we get to see if playing acting head merry-go-round is a viable option...

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So the guy who says he can tell who is a criminal by looking at them (aka the brown ones, it's the brown ones) is going to be in charge of taking care of brown children

Great

Great

Great

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    She could be the entire WH communications department and still never need to show up at the office.

I still sort of think Sanders got forced out, and the reason is because notoriously cheap Trump didn't want to pay someone who was doing nothing. I can't imagine bringing in someone else to "do nothing" will go well, when he starts looking for someone to take his anger out on.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Why is Melania announcing appointments?

Because the WH Communications Director and Press Secretary forgot to log out of Melania's account before announcing her new position from the proper one?

Seems like the most on-brand explanation for a new WH hire.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    The government is taking Omarosa to court for not filing her termination financial disclosure (180 days past due).

https://www.usatoday.com/documents/6168704-Complaint/

Curious to see where that goes, and if any other equally delinquent former staffers were mysteriously spared a DOJ referral.

Edit:

Her lawyer is claiming they're witholding the files she needs to complete it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The government is taking Omarosa to court for not filing her termination financial disclosure (180 days past due).

Curious to see where that goes, and if any other equally delinquent former staffers were mysteriously spared a DOJ referral.

The one who talked gets the hammer

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

The one who talked gets the hammer
    - The footer on the post-Shaub OGE letterhead, probably

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The massive irony of this Administration taking someone to court over mishandled paperwork is giving me an aneurysm in real time.

Kushner's security clearances.
    Trump's "shall provide" tax returns.
    Abuse of the vacancies act.

The list is endless and much more significant.

*pop* Yup, there it goes.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I imagine the withholding documents thing is just typical of Trump Inc. Like for anybody ever terminated by them, they don't release all the proper documentation just to fuck with whomever for whatever reason. Not even just the dick move to block unemployment.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The chief of protocol has been pulled prior to the G-20 summit "amid a possible inspector general’s probe into accusations of intimidating staff and carrying a whip in the office, according to one of the people."

Cannot make this shit up, not enough drugs in the world. (And predictive typing completed that last statement, which is...telling.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The chief of protocol has been pulled prior to the G-20 summit "amid a possible inspector general’s probe into accusations of intimidating staff and carrying a whip in the office, according to one of the people."

Cannot make this shit up, not enough drugs in the world. (And predictive typing completed that last statement, which is...telling.)

I'm surprised they still had a protocol official on staff as heavy as State got gutted in the last 2 years.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Lawler has worked for the government for almost three decades, according to his State Department biography.

And...
    Trump has little fondness for Lawler, and repeatedly asked why he still worked at the White House, according to the people.

With how bizarre the whip accusation is..and the timing of this happening right before the summit...this stinks a bit.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I can see he maybe has a whip in his office somewhere, you know, as a joke.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Or someone gave him one as a gift.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It does seem odd it comes out Trump hates the guy and despite being at the job thirty years now there is suddenly problems.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    It does seem odd it comes out Trump hates the guy and despite being at the job thirty years now there is suddenly problems.

He’s worked in the government for 30 years and is suddenly surrounded by people with no experience or expectations. He’s probably lost his temper a time or two.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

He’s worked in the government for 30 years and is suddenly surrounded by people with no experience or expectations. He’s probably lost his temper a time or two.

When I was temping I once went from an office that followed the rules and did a job correctly to an office that, well, didn't. If you are the type that values following the rules, as I believe most long time government employees do, it is absolutely maddening.

I wonder if anyone has looked into if alcohol sales around DC went up in a statistically significant way since 2016...

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Viskod wrote: »

You know what the chain of command is?

It’s the chain you’re beat with for disobeying orders.

One, I first heard it on Firefly.

Two, my Soldiers still laughed anyhow.

Edit: It’s not a literal chain, but just an exaggerated joke. So I imagine a whip is a similar hyperbolic joke.

Unless it isn’t, which SHEESH!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Hey man, some people just really miss the confederacy.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So, SecLabor Acosta's past is catching up to him:
    The Department of Justice has opened an investigation into Secretary of Labor Alex Acosta’s role in negotiating a controversial plea deal with a wealthy New York investor accused of molesting more than 100 underage girls in Palm Beach.

The probe is in response to a request by Sen. Ben Sasse, a Nebraska Republican and member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, who was critical of the case following a series of stories in the Miami Herald. The Herald articles detailed how Acosta, then the U.S. attorney for Southern Florida, and other DOJ attorneys worked hand-in-hand with defense lawyers to cut a lenient plea deal with multimillionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2008.

The Herald’s three-part series, Perversion of Justice, was cited by Assistant Attorney General Stephen E. Boyd in his letter to Sasse. DOJ’s Office of Professional Responsibility will head the investigation, he said.

“OPR has now opened an investigation into allegations that department attorneys may have committed professional misconduct in the manner in which the Epstein criminal matter was resolved,’’ wrote Boyd in the letter dated Wednesday.

Good. That deal was a travesty.

Epstein was arrested on sex trafficking charges today. Joint NYPD/FBI investigation. There are lots of potential ramifications here, including Secretary Acosta's job.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/07/08/admiral-set-take-over-navy-will-instead-retire-citing-emails-with-retired-officer-who-was-center-scandal

A bit cabinet adjacent, but fits a pattern that you'll all be shocked (SHOCKED!) by: Admiral William Moran was named to be the next chief of naval operations. He promptly declined and retired from the navy. You'll never guess why. Go ahead, and try.

Got it in one? Good for you. He's under investigation for his relationship with a subordinate who himself harassed female officers. The exact nature of the investigation isn't known, but from his "apology" it sounds to me like he was either outright covering up for the guy or just quietly ignoring accusations to protect him.

Moran himself wasn't the one doing the harassment, but as we've seen in situations like Nassar, Weinstein, and Epstein, in the long run the cover up is responsible for more damage than the perpetrator, because if it weren't for the cover up, there'd never BE a long run to talk about.

Hevach on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    In the ongoing saga of Michael Flynn, he was supposed to testify against his former business associate Bijan Rafiekian in a trial starting next week. But, the government no longer wants Michael Flynn testifying because... (wapo paywall) https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/government-no-longer-wants-michael-flynn-to-testify-against-ex-partner/2019/07/09/3138cfa4-a1b3-11e9-b732-41a79c2551bf_story.html
    An unsealed response from defense attorneys includes an email which prosecutors ended by saying they “do not necessarily agree” with Flynn’s “characterizations” of how he came to make an inaccurate filing under the Foreign Agent Registration Act for an influence campaign that benefited the Turkish government. According to the email, Flynn says he did not provide false information to his attorneys at the time, did not read the FARA filing before signing it and was not aware that it contained falsehoods.

In their filing, lawyers for Rafiekian say they “interpreted the email’s final sentence as a euphemism for, ‘we’ve concluded [Flynn] is lying.’”

The government no longer believes Flynn when he said he didn't intentionally file his FARA inaccurately. He claims it was an accident, the government thinks it was deliberate. This is important because...
    When Flynn was first set to be sentenced last year in the D.C. case brought by the special counsel’s office, U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan berated him for his entanglement with both Russian and Turkish interests.

Flynn’s lawyers asked for proceedings to be delayed so Flynn could continue to cooperate with federal prosecutors in hopes of a probationary sentence — a request recently renewed specifically so he could testify at Rafiekian’s trial.

The government will now seek admission of Flynn’s prior statements into evidence in Rafiekian’s case as the words of a co-conspirator, prosecutors said in the court papers.

The whole reason his sentencing has been delayed was to provide more information to the government in hopes of a lighter sentence, and to testify against Rafiekian. Now the government has concluded the information he provided was lies.

Michael Flynn's going to jail.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    For how long though is my question

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    For how long though is my question

He squealed on the King.

They will bury him in a hole so dark it will blot out even memories of the light.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dud they wind up deciding not to persue anything else for Manafort?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Trump just said Acosta is resigning, though if Acosta isn't watching TV right now he might not know himself that he's offered his resignation to Trump.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    It remains hilarious that the surest sign that someone is about to be fired from the Trump administration is the explicit assurance that they are safe. I shudder to think of the toxicity of that work environment.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    It remains hilarious that the surest sign that someone is about to be fired from the Trump administration is the explicit assurance that they are safe. I shudder to think of the toxicity of that work environment.
    To be fair, that's true of most administrations.
    "Absolute confidence in [blank]" generally means "[Blank] is going to resign at a relatively quiet time in the news cycle (preferably Friday, as no-one reads the news on Saturdays) to try to minimise the damage to us, or else."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »

Nah, his crime was being bad on TV. He WAS safe until his presser the other day was not aggressive enough.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    The surest sign someone is going to resign is that they appear on cable news and blow it. That's why Acosta is gone.

Trump watches cable news constantly. Looking good on TV is what he cares most about. In return, looking bad on TV is what he hates. You do that, you get fired.

Acosta looked weak in his presser, so this was inevitable.

shryke on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Wasn’t it literally yesterday that Trump said there was zero chance of Acosta resigning?

The man is as opaque as polished glass.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wasn’t it literally yesterday that Trump said there was zero chance of Acosta resigning?

Trump is never actually thinking ahead on anything, because he doesn't know anything. He is constantly just spouting whatever bullshit he thinks sounds best in the moment. So someone probably told him something he actually paid attention to and didn't like hearing, or Acosta did something to piss him off, in-between yesterday and today.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Immediate denial is Trump's mental muscle memory. He's like an NFL football coach

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Trump is never actually thinking ahead on anything, because he doesn't know anything. He is constantly just spouting whatever bullshit he thinks sounds best in the moment. So someone probably told him something he actually paid attention to and didn't like hearing, or Acosta did something to piss him off, in-between yesterday and today.

Yup. And that thing was, per others above, looking bad on TV.
    This ****ing administration.

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.