Options

[Nintendo] Switch - Everyone is Here!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    hey do you think Star Fox Zero will get a Switch port or will that be the one first-party Wii U game they conveniently forget

We're never going to see Star Fox Zero again

Given Nintendo's history with the series we may see something that looks and plays really similar to Star Fox Zero, but it will have a different name and they will never acknowledge Zero

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I don't think we're even going to get that. Star Fox Zero was straight up an embarrassment for the company, and they've never really mentioned it since it came out. It wasn't Other M levels of negative reaction but the game was almost universally derided as fundamentally flawed

Sometimes I think about the folks who are working on games like that. They're all hard-working, skilled folks with lots of experience. When they get near the end of development, do you think they can feel that something is wrong? Or do you think it blindsides them and they're completely unprepared for the reaction to what they've made, a game they had thought was very appealing?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    They definitely know.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Do you think they ever make another star fox game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

There's that rumored Star Fox: Grand Prix

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Legit would be way down for that racing game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

There's that rumored Star Fox: Grand Prix

I... suspect that is not real

But we will see I guess

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    If it had removed the gamepad stuff and used wiimote and nunchuck controls as was probably the original concept I think it would have been a solid game.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    If it had removed the gamepad stuff and used wiimote and nunchuck controls as was probably the original concept I think it would have been a solid game.

That game was built from the ground up to work exactly how it did, it wasn't retrofitted from another control scheme

• Options

oh definitely

Other M put mainline Metroid on ice for nearly a decade but didn't manage to kill it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »

oh definitely

Other M put mainline Metroid on ice for nearly a decade but didn't manage to kill it

But metroid had other very successful games

I feel like they haven't made a star fox game thsts above okay since 64

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Star Fox Adventures

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

That game was built from the ground up to work exactly how it did, it wasn't retrofitted from another control scheme

It started development as a wii game.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

It started development as a wii game.

No it didn't

They used some assets from an unreleased Wii game but it was always a wiiu game with this control scheme

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    They definitely know.

Also I find this idea kind of depressing. Neither of those scenarios are good, but to see it coming, to see all the disparate parts working together and realizing it's not going to work 6 months, a year in advance? God alive

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Starfox Zero was specifically made to be an example of how to use the Wii U gamepad to make game experiences that would be impossible on any other platform

Its failure was kind of the final nail on the coffin for the Wii U

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    What kind of gameplay are people looking for from star fox?

The only one I've ever played was the SNES game and I thought that played terribly, was that what star fox u was trying to emulate?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    gameplay where I don't have to constantly look at 2 screens

even if they wanted to port it I dont think they could when so much of it was designed around the cockpit view

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

The only one I've ever played was the SNES game and I thought that played terribly, was that what star fox u was trying to emulate?

Star Fox Zero was trying to emulate Star Fox 64

And if they hadn't insisted on saddling it with the awful two-screen gimmick, it would have been a good game

But holy cow does that gimmick make it awful and frustrating to play

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018

Starfox 64 is generally considered to be the Good One

But it plays very much like a suped up version of the original

Every game since then has felt like Nintendo doesn't think a rail shooter is a meaty enough concept to build a game on, and they've struggled to add new shit to it to flesh it out into a bigger thing

The DS game added a weird tactical layer while doing away with set, designed levels, the GameCube one added like, on-foot sections and shit, and the Wii U one added the poorly conceived two screen system, and a bunch of gyro gimmicky shit

When the Wii U game works, it works GREAT. There are moments in that game that are everything I want out of a modern starfox, and there's even places where I think the second screen gimmick works well

But by and large it's just a mess to control

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    My ideal Star Fox is a high-octane rail shooter with plenty of speed and tons of enemies and big cool boss battles set to a kickin' soundtrack

Other visions for the game can also be cool but that's the kind of game I find myself anticipating when people talk about Star Fox, and it's very much what an alternate universe version of Star Fox Zero woudl have been. It's basically the cousin of my ideal title in the series.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I honestly think the Star Fox 2 design is the best way to approach a modern Star Fox game

Have the levels be well made, fun, fast paced rail shooters (and ideally have branching paths within them and also a LOT of them) but add an additional layer on top with some sort of pilot/ship management so the game feels less one note and shallow

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I honestly think the Star Fox 2 design is the best way to approach a modern Star Fox game

Have the levels be well made, fun, fast paced rail shooters (and ideally have branching paths within them and also a LOT of them) but add an additional layer on top with some sort of pilot/ship management so the game feels less one note and shallow

Yeah, it seemed like a concept way ahead of it's time. The levels needed more work, but the overall idea of SF2 could be made into a really good game

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I was gonna say rail shooters aren't meaty enough for a modern game, but then I remembered there are 807 Pokémon for a new Pokémon Snap game and that's definitely enough

• Options
    I was gonna say rail shooters aren't meaty enough for a modern game, but then I remembered there are 807 Pokémon for a new Pokémon Snap game and that's definitely enough

I might say the same about 2d platformers but that hasn't stopped Nintendo from putting them out for full price

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    How’s tropical freeze doing
    I seem to only hear positive things

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It outsold the Wii U version's total lifetime sales in a week, I believe

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think it's doing well

It's another one of those Wii U games that was really great but failed to find an audience because it was on the Wii U

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'd be perfectly happy with just another Star Fox rail shooter without any stupid gimmicks. Except, maybe, some freerange dogfights against Star Wolf or that Katina level from 64.

But Nintendo's need to bolt on a bunch of extra stuff onto the series that really harms it, in my opinion.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Huh, I never heard a similar brag about Bayonetta 2, wonder how that did

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    the 3ds version of SF64 is probably the best version of the game for me and I wish they hadnt bothered with zero on the wiiU and just made it a 3ds title at the time

the starfox format is great for a pick up/put down handheld game

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Actually thinking about Nintendo gimmicks, and also meat, was there anything at all to that Labo robot game, or is it just “isn’t controlling this robot fun?”

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    put the labo robot in smash

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Starfox Zero was specifically made to be an example of how to use the Wii U gamepad to make game experiences that would be impossible on any other platform

Its failure was kind of the final nail on the coffin for the Wii U

It was an "innovative" control system for a game released in the Wii U's dying year.

The Wii U was already stepping into it's grave sometime after Mario Maker.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I'd like a rail shooter

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That tweet gone

• Options
    the only time I thought the cockpit view worked in SFzero was the rival dogfights because it gave you a wider angle to hit the other pilots and there wasnt a lot of shit to crash into

actually I thought those were the best parts of the game, and the new vehicle was kinda neat but I think it was only used in one stage? unless im forgetting

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I would like another Star Fox game but I want an open sky one like the Ace Combat games
    On the rails had it's time

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Star Fox died on the way to his home planet.

This discussion has been closed.