As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PlayStation’s Insomniac’s Marvel’s Spider-Man, Out September 7

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I don't understand how you're supposed to get gold in stealth

I have done them at breakneck pace without stopping to set anything up at all, finishing some of them in like, a minute twenty and still not gotten gold

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I have done them at breakneck pace without stopping to set anything up at all, finishing some of them in like, a minute twenty and still not gotten gold

Get your combo meter up

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

The heavy web is by far the fastest, and with a bit of timing you can hit duo's before they alert with it.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    This game had the exact same problem as the Batman games, which is the more complex enemies that took a lot more hits now meant I wasn't having fun with the combat anymore

Huh, I don't really remember the enemies getting too much beefier at least not super noticeably. Just much more deadly and needing to do more to actually be able to hit them. I don't think any of the regular enemies took more than like 3 combos or so which is the same that the original big mooks took.

You can also insta kill any enemy so if you save your finishers for the big enemies you will never have to deal with actually regular attacking any of them. Build up your bar on the little dudes and then turn around and finisher the big dudes. You will basically never have to worry about the health of enemies being bigger than standard mook level unless there is a single enemy left on the field.

• Options
    Heavy armor dudes end up taking just a few too many hits for my liking, to the point that during those fights I end up using finishers a lot more liberally

It's not a deal breaker for me, but it's noticeable

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    It's real weird that the stealth challenges are pseudo-puzzle games where the goal is to maximize your combo, and that's basically not communicated at all

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Have only been able to play short periods lately, so I've been cleaning up all the act 3 bases and crimes

Think I'm just gonna 100% everything before moving on with the story at this point

EDIT: also having built every suit, mod, and gadget upgrade leaves you with a weirdly large number of tokens

I guess having the preorder bonus helps because I'm not sure what it would have cost to make those three suits normally

I think that's intentional, so that you don't have to 100% the entire dang game to craft everything.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This game had the exact same problem as the Batman games, which is the more complex enemies that took a lot more hits now meant I wasn't having fun with the combat anymore

Huh, that's a problem I never really had, mostly because those web-resistant armored enemies still go down to a single finisher bar.

Also throwables hurting everything helps, especially since by that point in the game everything is a throwable.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Get your combo meter up

how do you combo with stealth
    SanderJK wrote: »

The heavy web is by far the fastest, and with a bit of timing you can hit duo's before they alert with it.

What is heavy web
    milski wrote: »
    It's real weird that the stealth challenges are pseudo-puzzle games where the goal is to maximize your combo, and that's basically not communicated at all

wait what

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The biggest problem was Sable is no fun to fight period and then they're everywhere

I wanted to rush through the rest of the story in the hopes that they'd disappear after that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The biggest problem was Sable is no fun to fight period and then they're everywhere

I wanted to rush through the rest of the story in the hopes that they'd disappear after that

The crimes that were just jetpack dudes were SUPER fun for me personally

• Options
    If you use the stealth takedowns (Square behind dude) and the triangle takedowns (Web zip kick) it builds your combo meter

It can be more difficult to line up, but it's worth a bunch of points

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Eh? I never went for combos, just take them down as fast as possible.
    It's all about the order you take them out in, and realising that the custom stealth takedowns (from perch points or creeping up behind) are mostly too slow.
    Remember that triangle is an instant takedown in a fraction of the time. Between that and Impact Web (if they're standing near a wall), you just have to pick out the order so you don't get anyone in danger who'll break your stealth..

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Even if you take everyone out super fast with gadgets, I think your score will end up being a bit too low without building some combo at least

• Options
    If you use the stealth takedowns (Square behind dude) and the triangle takedowns (Web zip kick) it builds your combo meter

I don't understand

You mean like, if you take them down in quick succession it counts as a combo? Because I basically only use the triangle takedowns and I was still just seeing a 1 hit combo

• Options
    Yes, if you quickly use triangle takedowns on multiple dudes your combo should increase

• Options
    If you're taking them out fast enough it will build your combo anyway, so it's the same difference.
    Practice your route, keep web-striking as your main way to take them out (for both speed and mobility), and use gadgets if they're too far out of your way.

Also, I imagine that certain suit skills can help, like the one that makes enemies slower to notice you., or the ones that extend your scan to keep track of enemies through walls.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Stealth challenges were all about Impact Web sniping everyone in as effecient way as possible

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

I never even considered the possibility of taking out anyone while on the ground, like, at all. All I wanted to do was web dudes up from the rafters and maybe use a web takedown if there happened to be absolutely nobody else around or I had already taken out all of the patrols.

I guess I need to start playing through the challenges tonight now that I have had some time off after finishing the story.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I didn't know impact webbing would count as stealth

That'll work

• Options
    If it takes them out in one hit, it's stealth so long as they're 'safe'.
    So impact webs will work so long as there's a surface close enough to blast them into, but on an open area you might be in trouble. I don't know if they'll sound an alarm, but you might leave them standing there and having to be taken out some other way, which will cost time.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I had to switch off of Spider-Bro because it felt like cheating.

I'm not entirely sure what Blitz does but I seem to move faster and that's fun.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I kind of wish the game was harder?

I generally feel like only assholes make complaints like that

But I would love it if the game actually made me use all of my gadgets

Also, the way that stealth doesn't work in strongholds is a bummer

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The introduction of Impact webbingis in a stealth context, yes?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

The only enemy type I feel really ruins the flow are the Big Dudes. They can attack way too fast and too often, and you gotta web them up first. I got hit a lot WHILE I was webbing them.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

Get your combo meter up

To add on to this: The timer CAN be a lie. You know how time slows down when you pull up your gadget meter? That slowdown does not affect the combo timer. You need to find a route that allows you to pretty much instantly taking down an enemy after repositioning. If you can take out the entire area without more than a few seconds between each takedown you are guaranteed to get gold.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Heavy armor dudes end up taking just a few too many hits for my liking, to the point that during those fights I end up using finishers a lot more liberally

It's not a deal breaker for me, but it's noticeable

A lot of gadgets will remove the armor plating instantly, after which they are "normal" guys that can be taken out like any other enemy (including being webbed up). So the best way to tackle a group of heavily armed enemies is to start with an opening gadged like the concussive blast or electric web, and then treat them like you would prison inmates or demons.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I definitely had better luck focusing on speed rather than the combo, but if you're fast enough you should get combos anyway. The challenges don't do a good job of letting you know what you're supposed to be doing.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I actually think Spider-Man reaches the sweet spot of variety in enemy types, last seen in Arkham City

It doesn’t get into Arkham Knight territory, which is a very good thing

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don't think I liked fighting any of the factions besides the thugs

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I just hope this tiny text thing goes away. I can't read the Twitter feed on my TV unless I use the PS4's zoom in feature

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I still maintain that Superman would work best as a Telltale or at least Telltale style game

People have brought up the "city damage as health" concept but that just seems irritating to me

Superman can basically do anything, so the interesting part isn't laying out sick punch combos with him, it's making choices about what he'll do with his incredible powers and how he'll deal with situations that he can't punch

Telltale should make a game where you literally play as Jesus Christ.

That would be...something.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I had a bit of a transition period with each new bad guy type, but the Sable guys were the first to really throw me. It took awhile to get a rhythm (leaping and throwing things around while in the air works very well), but there was definitely a period when the majority of Sable crimes ended with me dying from a dozen bullet holes.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I just use king of the ring and toss the huge lads off buildings or throw his friends at him till he fucks off

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I just hope this tiny text thing goes away. I can't read the Twitter feed on my TV unless I use the PS4's zoom in feature

wait the PS4 has a zoom in feature?

edit: I just googled this, and thank you! This is going to be helpful for RPGs with tiny, poorly contrasted character stat screens (I'm looking at you, Soulsborne games)

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Question about something that happened last night. I’m not sure how to tag this spoiler without spoiling something so maybe don’t read this without having completed the game or at least getting very far into it.
    Related to Taskmaster:
    I got ambushed by Taskmaster in Central Park and lost. The game continued on and he called me complaining that I suck. Was that fight winnable? Did I screw up my story or whatever?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Question about something that happened last night. I’m not sure how to tag this spoiler without spoiling something so maybe don’t read this without having completed the game or at least getting very far into it.
    Related to Taskmaster:
    I got ambushed by Taskmaster in Central Park and lost. The game continued on and he called me complaining that I suck. Was that fight winnable? Did I screw up my story or whatever?
    I think you just continue forward, just with him throwing shade at you.

Until Round 2, of course.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Related to Taskmaster:
    I think you just continue forward, just with him throwing shade at you.

Until Round 2, of course.
    Okay thanks.

Was that fight actually unwinnable? It started inside some trees so my vision was obscured. But he seemed to get like invincible near the end of the fight. Just wonder if it’s a scripted/forced loss.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Related to Taskmaster:
    If it is the fight after the challenges, you have to redo a single challenge (not improve just redo and pass it), and he will show up again. The dialogue makes it sound like you have to redo them all, which was dispiriting.