As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PlayStation’s Insomniac’s Marvel’s Spider-Man, Out September 7

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Question about something that happened last night. I’m not sure how to tag this spoiler without spoiling something so maybe don’t read this without having completed the game or at least getting very far into it.
    Related to Taskmaster:
    I got ambushed by Taskmaster in Central Park and lost. The game continued on and he called me complaining that I suck. Was that fight winnable? Did I screw up my story or whatever?
    He attacks you once when you've done either half the challenges, or at least one of each type (I'm not sure which), and again once you've done them all.
    Specific spoilers:
    He gets away at the end anyway, so I don't know if you can be beaten and he leaves but not a game over or not, but it makes very little difference, story-wise.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Question about something that happened last night. I’m not sure how to tag this spoiler without spoiling something so maybe don’t read this without having completed the game or at least getting very far into it.
    Related to Taskmaster:
    I got ambushed by Taskmaster in Central Park and lost. The game continued on and he called me complaining that I suck. Was that fight winnable? Did I screw up my story or whatever?
    I think you just continue forward, just with him throwing shade at you.

Until Round 2, of course.
    Okay thanks.

Was that fight actually unwinnable? It started inside some trees so my vision was obscured. But he seemed to get like invincible near the end of the fight. Just wonder if it’s a scripted/forced loss.
    I seem to remember winning it, but I could be conflating it with the second fight.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    This game's soundtrack is up on Spotify now

Man, the main theme is just perfect

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Related to Taskmaster:

Okay thanks.

Was that fight actually unwinnable? It started inside some trees so my vision was obscured. But he seemed to get like invincible near the end of the fight. Just wonder if it’s a scripted/forced loss.
    Yes it's winnable.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Okay thanks for all the answers.

Everyone will be getting a personalized thank you card via laser carrier pigeon within the next 4-6 millennia.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ceno wrote: »
    Related to Taskmaster:

Okay thanks.

I seem to remember winning it, but I could be conflating it with the second fight.
    They're both winnable. I lost the second one, and he'll ambush again once you do another challenge.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I just hope this tiny text thing goes away. I can't read the Twitter feed on my TV unless I use the PS4's zoom in feature

wait the PS4 has a zoom in feature?

edit: I just googled this, and thank you! This is going to be helpful for RPGs with tiny, poorly contrasted character stat screens (I'm looking at you, Soulsborne games)

You can't control the game when you zoom in, so it's really only helpful on a pause screen or when there's no action

It's how I read the lore in God of War before they patched it

I just don't understand how they keep doing it. Like, do they just not ever test the game in a "living room" setting? Only at desks with monitors right in front of them?

• Options
    People keep telling me about the good good tweets in this but I have zero chance of reading them

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Alright so I'm at a point
    Just after the Raft and Rykers break out. Gotta say, I'm a little bummed at the direction the game took here. Having New York go all I Am Legend looking and rooftops full of snipers kinda dampens the appeal of swinging around Manhattan. Seems a little too, I dunno, grandiose? I basically liked it a whole lot more when it was a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man sim. Its still great, just a personal nitpick.

Peter and MJ's text message thing right after taking down Li felt perfectly believable and wonderfully executed. Like, man. So good.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    The thing that made me laugh was JJs pothole rant

"The only reason I can think of is because he hates us and wants us to be miserable."

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Is there something up with the research stations trophy? They all have ticks but it hasn't popped

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Is there something up with the research stations trophy? They all have ticks but it hasn't popped
    There's a post-story one that doesn't appear on the map until after the ending.

• Options
    I'm past the ending though.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Maybe you visited one, opened it but didn't/couldn't do the actual experiment inside? There's one that you need ground pound for that I had to come back to for example. I don't remember if it was ticked after I unlocked it though ..

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Did you do Canopus, in the Upper West side? It only unlocks after completing all the others.

It's the one where
    You have to connect all the towers while avoiding lightning

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I just hope this tiny text thing goes away. I can't read the Twitter feed on my TV unless I use the PS4's zoom in feature

wait the PS4 has a zoom in feature?

edit: I just googled this, and thank you! This is going to be helpful for RPGs with tiny, poorly contrasted character stat screens (I'm looking at you, Soulsborne games)

You can't control the game when you zoom in, so it's really only helpful on a pause screen or when there's no action

It's how I read the lore in God of War before they patched it

I just don't understand how they keep doing it. Like, do they just not ever test the game in a "living room" setting? Only at desks with monitors right in front of them?

I don't have any trouble reading it on my tv. In my living room. They probably do test on too narrow of a cross-section of displays though.

• Options
    Did you do Canopus, in the Upper West side? It only unlocks after completing all the others.

It's the one where
    You have to connect all the towers while avoiding lightning

This one just appeared. Thanks

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The only enemy types I don't like are when the sable guys show up in a car after you stop the first car, because all of a sudden you have six guys with guns shooting at you plus a turret and those whip dudes that work for Li.

Mostly because in those situations I need to do real specific moves to take them out and the game really isn't that specific so I get real frustrated with those two situations.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    The only enemy types I don't like are when the sable guys show up in a car after you stop the first car, because all of a sudden you have six guys with guns shooting at you plus a turret and those whip dudes that work for Li.

Mostly because in those situations I need to do real specific moves to take them out and the game really isn't that specific so I get real frustrated with those two situations.

I agree

But I'm also really looking forward to fighting them again on NG+

I feel like I'm good at this game, and I wanna kick their ass in a way that I had trouble with at the time

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I only did one of the Sable bases once they appeared but I felt like the god emperor of ass kicking once I cleared it

• Options
    The biggest problem that the combat has is when it requires you to be precise or get a particular enemy out of the way quickly. Batman was better about automatically selecting the best target for the current situation, if you hit a takedown and there was a knife guy nearby it'd go "you want to take out the knife guy, trust me".

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It really frustrated me when I would Web up my main target that I want to swing against a wall, hold triangle in the direction of the dude and it would try and pull the gun off the person next to them.

Or if they are on the ground and you would try and Web them to the floor and you just Web people in random directions.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I only did one of the Sable bases once they appeared but I felt like the god emperor of ass kicking once I cleared it

I kited a lot of people in those, I am not proud of my actions, but it worked.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This game's soundtrack is up on Spotify now

Man, the main theme is just perfect

The way they riff on the Danny Elfman score while remaining Legally Distinct is fantastic

It's got better music than Homecoming did (outside of that glorious forty seconds before the movie even starts)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The biggest problem that the combat has is when it requires you to be precise or get a particular enemy out of the way quickly. Batman was better about automatically selecting the best target for the current situation, if you hit a takedown and there was a knife guy nearby it'd go "you want to take out the knife guy, trust me".

The priority aspect was nice, but I feel Spidey is more congruous when it comes to the visual of picking a goon out of the crowd. Batman would teleport across the room to dropkick a guy at low velocity and it looked weird as heck.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

The priority aspect was nice, but I feel Spidey is more congruous when it comes to the visual of picking a goon out of the crowd. Batman would teleport across the room to dropkick a guy at low velocity and it looked weird as heck.

Nah it felt super awesome

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    And Platinumed. What a ride.

Sony is on fire with the exclusives this generation.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

Nah it felt super awesome

It was cool, but it didn't make sense that batman could really do that and it was frustrating that spider-man couldn't, and it took me so long to realise that what you were supposed to do in spider-man was hit triangle and Web zip.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The platinum is such a slog

I’ve spent the last several hours of play just swinging around hoping for random crimes to pop off

• Options
    It should be really quick if you’re in a district where you have crimes left.

• Options
    I had multiple crimes of every type left in every district

It’s still not ideal!

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    My priority targets were all the bad guy everywhere all the time, because I was Spider-Man.

Unless, of course, I was late for something. Then priority targets were only the bad guys that happened to be on the way to the place that I was running late. Also maybe there was a pigeon or a backpack on the way as well.

Because I was Spider-Man.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I had multiple crimes of every type left in every district

It’s still not ideal!

Yeah. It really is a thing you need to be constantly doing as you play the game, otherwise they just stack up too much.

By the end of the game i think I made my self do 8 thug missions or so before I'd do the next mission and it felt a lot like a slog.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/okKgp-Cpu4M

Even when things don’t go perfectly (I take a bullet toward the end of this video), this game is incredible at making you feel like you’re really good at it

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    so i finished the game, i think most people have said most of my thoughts already

the only thing Ill add is: I actually liked Silver Sable near the end of this game? I hope we get a bit more with her next time.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    so i finished the game, i think most people have said most of my thoughts already

the only thing Ill add is: I actually liked Silver Sable near the end of this game? I hope we get a bit more with her next time.
    The third DLC pack is seemingly Sable focused what with the name Silver Lining and where her story leaves off in the main game

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Finally, we Silver Sable fans are getting our due

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    silver sable rules

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The platinum is such a slog

I’ve spent the last several hours of play just swinging around hoping for random crimes to pop off

I broke that up with the Photo Ops suit mod. Went around the district looking for pictures to take and crimes happened.

Which was funny, because of course when I find a place to take a picture, a crime always popped literal feet away from the building.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    silver sable rules

ive never DISliked her, but ive never found her super interesting but she was good in this!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group