Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I just bought Dark Orb but spent some points in STR to actually use my longsword and now I might just use my first Soul Vessel to redo my points.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I just bought Dark Orb but spent some points in STR to actually use my longsword and now I might just use my first Soul Vessel to redo my points.

As an added bonus if you go for hexes, dark infusion's usually the strongest for weapons and you'll have the option of fire infusions when dark works poorly.

Like a said before, a hexer with dark infusion casting Dark Weapon buff on it is the strongest 'melee' option in the game 90% of the time. On top of the spells being strong and quick and staggering more than other spells.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Hmm. Well I have a Magic Mace that is doing ~40 damage per swing with 30 INT. I also have an Enchanted Longsword that does more damage even though it scales with INT less.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hexes are amazing in DS2.

Be a Havelhexer.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Dark Fog worked very well against those archers in the Iron Keep (don't know if this was SOTFS or vanilla DS2, so it can be nerved)

No need to aim very well, just throw it at the top of those pillars. I have no idea how those archers got there, but now they can't move anywhere and just get poisoined and die.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    I was able to take care of the Smelter Demon. The next fight with the Old Iron King worries me... Although now that I think about it the only reason I got hurt on my melee is because I had to get in range to attack him.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I was able to take care of the Smelter Demon. The next fight with the Old Iron King worries me... Although now that I think about it the only reason I got hurt on my melee is because I had to get in range to attack him.

The OIK is a chump as long as you dodge the wide swipes.

• Options

The OIK is a chump as long as you dodge the wide swipes.

Can be a bit of an agility check if you're trying to iframe everything, since a lot of his attacks linger or are tricky to time (dodging through the fire breath sweep).

• Options
    Dear lord, eff the Frozen Outskirts.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Dear lord, eff the Frozen Outskirts.

WELCOME TO REINDEER FUCKLAND

• Options
    I mean that run up to the boss is ludicrous but the fight itself is pretty painful too.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    You came to the wrong hood motherfucker and now Rudolph is gonna make you pay!

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I keep toying with the idea of picking up DS3 for another playthrough, this time with the Cinders mod.

Anyone that has any experience have any suggestions?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I really need to finish ds2 dlc someday.

Maybe just make a meme build and dive in.

Ive gotten over doing challenge builds all the time.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I didn’t realize that the Lud and Zallen fight is so significantly more difficult with summons. I’ll try again tomorrow without. But by god I hate the run to the boss maybe more than anything in the entire series. More than Darklurker which took over 30 tries and cost me 35+ effigies.

• Options
    Dac wrote: »
    I keep toying with the idea of picking up DS3 for another playthrough, this time with the Cinders mod.

I don’t but googling makes it sound interesting. Do it and report back!

• Options
    Lud and Zallen are DEAD! I fought them solo and resisted the urge to burn ascetics to farm souls (say the Giant Lord) or respec. I ended up trading the Ancient Dragon Soul in for the Curved Dragon Greatsword and bumped it to +5 since I had a bunch of petrified dragon bones around. That did the trick. So did dismissing the NPC phantoms I ran to the boss with before the fight.

That was the last boss. And now I can move on.

It may not seem like much but I had a self-imposed limit not to ascetic any bonfires to grab better gear or farm souls. So I beat all the bosses without doing that and I succeeded in my goal.

Such a great game.

I'm going to move on to Dark Souls 3 next (which I beat upon initial release but have not experienced any of the DLC yet) but first a brief interlude to go finish Gnosia and a game of Civ 6 with my ex-roommate and his girlfriend.

• Options
    Also, this may be the creepiest screenshot I've ever taken:

zat7a9jgeu5o.png

• Options

zat7a9jgeu5o.png

If you didn't know, after that cutscene the crowns protect you against hollowing.

• Options
    I went ahead and tried to use the bonfire ascetic since I've never done it before. Used it in the first area... Only to remember that I still have to fight the Giant Lord. Uh oh.

• Options
    Oh wait there's a bonfire next to him. I bet that controls his difficulty!

• Options
    Oh wait there's a bonfire next to him. I bet that controls his difficulty!

It does. You’re good.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

zat7a9jgeu5o.png

If you didn't know, after that cutscene the crowns protect you against hollowing.

Thanks, I wore the Ivory Crown for my last few runs to Lud and Zallen.

• Options
    I have a question: Is there no way to disable the "camera reset" button on controllers? I absolutely hate that lock-on and reset camera are the same button.

• Options
    I have a question: Is there no way to disable the "camera reset" button on controllers? I absolutely hate that lock-on and reset camera are the same button.

The True Dark Souls Starts Here

try despair ahead

don't give up, skeleton

• Options
    But no, I don't think you can. I'm not 100% sure, though.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Also, all four crowns have unlisted special effects even before you unlock the anti-hollowing thing. Like, the Old Iron King's one periodically restores your spell charges, so I wear that basically always on my caster.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    DS2's lock on feature is way more janky than the other games. It's like weirdly short range.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Also, all four crowns have unlisted special effects even before you unlock the anti-hollowing thing. Like, the Old Iron King's one periodically restores your spell charges, so I wear that basically always on my caster.

That I didn't know. Is that based on time?

Like what about 1 use spells, like Outcry? Do they get refreshed?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2021

From the wiki:
    The crown restores 20% of spell uses (rounded up) every 2 minutes.

I'd sort of assume that would mean it'd take Outcry 10 minutes to re-up? Or maybe it just restores the one usage, there's only one real way to know, put on the crown, cast the spell, wait to see how long it takes to re-up.

Edit: The Crown of the Sunken King "Grants +1 Endurance, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith, while reducing Vigor and Vitality by -1", the Crown of the Ivory King "Grants slow HP regeneration – 40 HP/minute (stacks with other HP regen items), and the King's Crown "Grants +3 Intelligence and Faith".

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Kalnaur wrote: »

From the wiki:
    The crown restores 20% of spell uses (rounded up) every 2 minutes.

I'd sort of assume that would mean it'd take Outcry 10 minutes to re-up? Or maybe it just restores the one usage, there's only one real way to know, put on the crown, cast the spell, wait to see how long it takes to re-up.

Edit: The Crown of the Sunken King "Grants +1 Endurance, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith, while reducing Vigor and Vitality by -1", the Crown of the Ivory King "Grants slow HP regeneration – 40 HP/minute (stacks with other HP regen items), and the King's Crown "Grants +3 Intelligence and Faith".

It will restore the one charge every two minutes, it doesn't do anything cumulatively.

It also restores 20% of the casts in each spell slot, all at once. So say you've got four Dark Orbs slotted, each with 20 casts. You'll regenerate 16 casts (4+4+4+4) every two minutes.

It's kinda overpowered, but at that point in the game you'll likely be already overpowered.

Aistan on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah it's real handy for 1 use spells because of that. I mean not so good that I'd say "just take a bunch of 1 use spells" or anything. You probably still want a more workmanlike spell that you can spam a ton of. But it's real handy to be able to recast stuff like denial or resonant weapon a bunch of times.

• Options
    Well, I was curious how I’d fare against the first boss so I fired up Dark Souls III.

Even though I had 115.2 hours play time according to Steam, I decided to start a new character. For one thing, I wanted a fresh experience. For another, I my save game was missing in action. Doesn’t Dark Souls III have cloud saves?

Anyway, I started over and Bronk Gonklebonk, the level 1 Depraved was born and best Iudex Gundyr on his second try.

I remembered i-frames being king in Dark Souls 3. I reminded myself how ludicrous and overpowered simply rolling was. But even so, I was still not prepared how rolling in Dark Souls 3 is basically an invincibility button.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, I was curious how I’d fare against the first boss so I fired up Dark Souls III.

Even though I had 115.2 hours play time according to Steam, I decided to start a new character. For one thing, I wanted a fresh experience. For another, I my save game was missing in action. Doesn’t Dark Souls III have cloud saves?

Anyway, I started over and Bronk Gonklebonk, the level 1 Depraved was born and best Iudex Gundyr on his second try.

I remembered i-frames being king in Dark Souls 3. I reminded myself how ludicrous and overpowered simply rolling was. But even so, I was still not prepared how rolling in Dark Souls 3 is basically an invincibility button.

I installed the Cinders mod today and went through the first boss.

As someone that's been playing Nioh 2 lately and hasn't touched DS3 since about a month after it's release, the sheer amount of invincibility you have on dodge takes some getting used to - as does the raw amount of damage you put out. Bonkers.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

A bit late, since you've already dipped in, but I've played a few hundred hours of Cinders.

It's pretty good, but the previous few updates have kind of soured me on it. The mod author makes huge swings of balance back and forth with each update, so something kind of OP but super fun one build is nerfed into the ground or even removed the next.

Spellcasters in earlier versions were really powerful and fun to play, but a lot of it's been nerfed. The added weapons and armor from other Fromsoft games is hit or miss. DeS, DS1, and DS2 stuff is generally fine, but the Bloodborne weapons feel really tacky and wasted since they can't transform.

The sequence break shortcuts are fun, but some of the remixed bonfire locations are a mix of baffling and just plain bad.

It's a mixed bag of a mod, but I still generally like it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Shrine of Amana was BRUTAL on my caster. Okay I only died like 3 times but man those Priestesses snipe you from a mile away.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I sort of wish there was a way to go back to any boss in a Dark Souls game and pay a souls or humanity-style price to fight them again. I know that you can just play through NG+, or in DS2 you can bonfire ascetic to reset the area at a higher level and bring back the boss, but what I mean is to just fight the boss, at the difficulty level it originally was at, but instead of getting a boss soul or any of the rewards except maybe an amount of souls (probably enough to recoup the cost of encountering them again plus just a little more).

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I sort of wish there was a way to go back to any boss in a Dark Souls game and pay a souls or humanity-style price to fight them again. I know that you can just play through NG+, or in DS2 you can bonfire ascetic to reset the area at a higher level and bring back the boss, but what I mean is to just fight the boss, at the difficulty level it originally was at, but instead of getting a boss soul or any of the rewards except maybe an amount of souls (probably enough to recoup the cost of encountering them again plus just a little more).

This is something about the structure of Nioh 2 that works in its favor. Since everything is a standalone mission chosen from a world map you can go back in and do them again whenever you want, plus bosses show up in other spots as challenges or remixes as well.

Downside is some things you're expected to do this for, because equipment is random drops.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    DS3 - 27 Bosses free-for-all 14:00
    https://youtu.be/sT3CmU7X3eM

LETS GO MI-DIR LETS GO

CLAP CLAP

This discussion has been closed.