As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Well my buddy and I were finally able to co-op... But only in the Castle. We couldn't connect at all for the Dragon Shrine and the Dragon area for some reason. But as soon as we went into the Castle to fight the final boss it worked! So we went in and took care of business for him. And while the credits rolled for him I went ahead and soloed her.

I think it's time for me to finally put the game down. That's my 4th character to complete the game. And my friend's first time beating any Souls-like game!

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    You can't actually summon at all in the Dragon Aerie using a large soapstone, as there isn't an actual boss for you to fight. You probably can't summon in the Dragon Shrine either unless you've triggered the Ancient Dragon boss.

You should still be able to summon using the small white soapstone though.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    You can't actually summon at all in the Dragon Aerie using a large soapstone, as there isn't an actual boss for you to fight. You probably can't summon in the Dragon Shrine either unless you've triggered the Ancient Dragon boss.

You should still be able to summon using the small white soapstone though.

Oh my god I wish I had realized that. We were literally just standing around for 2 hours. Usually the game is pretty good about blocking the ability to put one down if it doesn't work there.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Should I do the good stuff with Irina or damn her soup for eternity?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Should I do the good stuff with Irina or damn her soup for eternity?

You should definitely damn her soup. She's always wanting to serve something nasty like split pea, instead of the things we ask for like misua or chicken noodle.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Woah hey. Split pea is the necter of the gods and I won't have anyone besmirching it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Praise the soup!

• Options
    I beat the Abyss Watchers. First try.

That’s a first. No pun intended.

• Options
    Caaaaaaaarthusssss!!

(Like how Kirk says “Khaaaaaaaan!”)

• Options
    Wolnir dead, second try.

• Options
    Fextralife is the weirdest site in the universe.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Welp, Sully is dead. Second try though I used Easy Mode (I summoned Anri and Pale Shade of Londor). I was going to try and fight Pontiff solo but honestly, as much as I appreciate Irithyll’s topside aesthetically, I’m glad to see the back of it.

Not sure where I should go next: Retrace to Smouldering Lake (I only went in for Horace earlier), Irithyll Dungeon, or the place after Pontiff.

Drez on
  • Options
    I'm a fan of Irithyll Dungeon myself. It's weird and creepy and mostly pointless and optional, but I liked the challenge and lore.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuuck Irithyll Dungeon

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I hate the jump scare screams, I would always stop playing the game enough to forget about their existence

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Best area in the game , wish it was larger.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Fextralife is the weirdest site in the universe.

I hate Fextra with a passion. The weird (and often factually incorrect) editorializing in the articles, the cesspit-of-the-fandom comments, the Twitch stream embed on every single page of every single game's wiki to artificially inflate their stream viewership that tanks the site's performance*... It all just sucks and is even frequently inaccurate compared to a more sedate site like Wikidot.

*This is also why Fextra has wikis for every game under the sun, has them SEO'd to hell and gone to push them to the top of Google rankings, but most of said wikis have barebones content at best.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Where did that site even come from? It showed up out of the blue with one renowned wiki for Demon's, then all of a sudden it was everywhere(and the site is a hot mess).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Where did that site even come from? It showed up out of the blue with one renowned wiki for Demon's, then all of a sudden it was everywhere(and the site is a hot mess).
    It abuses SEO to get where it is.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's weird where like, the DS2 fextralife will have normal-ass items that are missing pages, but then it has super in-depth breakdowns of how the different stats work.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm replaying DS3, bought the Season Pass but starting fresh.
    How is Soapstone coop these days? I had my sign out for a bit at the first boss just to test. Around launch that'd get you summoned within seconds, now it sat there for 15mins or so......

I'm playing a Pyromancy F/I build so I'm expecting a rocky journey here and there..... The first being I couldn't actually find an angle to get that Wyvern because Dex 10 = no bow, supposedly you can do it with Fireballs but you need to hit everyone on 4 bars of mana, and it sucks angling the camera, every time you cast you end in a different position than you start.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I use Fextra and Wikidot for souls games. I dont pay attention to fextra for anything else.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

Not sure I would go this far, but I did quite like it. One of the more memorable zones for me.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Not sure I would go this far, but I did quite like it. One of the more memorable zones for me.

I really enjoyed Metal Gear Soliding that area my first time through on my no healing build.

Since, yknow, you don't get your health back once your health bar returns to normal so if I took even one of those attacks I would be screwed for anything beyond them.

It impressed me that it was possible to avoid every single one of those attacks, with careful ambushing, pulling and line of sighting. When I first started that area I thought that would be impossible.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Is there no healing in that area or something?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I had seen a video of someone just running the crowded room of jailors around while funny music played or something showing off how inadequate they could be as a threat before I ever actually encountered them, so Irithyl Dungeon was sort of undermined for me from the start.
    Kalnaur wrote: »

The Jailers deplete your maximum HP continuously until you have 1 if they maintain line of sight on you. After they're dead or you've broken los for a while you get your maximum back but your current HP stays low.

Of course, they're also the kind of enemy you can just walk/sprint around, or go right up to and bully really easily because they're fragile, turn slow, stagger to any hit, and have long startup on their actual damaging hits. They're most dangerous when you respect them, basically.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Kalnaur wrote: »

There is, estus still works, I was just doing a no healing challenge run for my first playthrough.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I personally really like Irithyll Dungeon. The first half is way too short, but it's lovely. Inspired by possibly my favorite area in Demon's Souls - the Tower of Latria.

The Jailers (Dark Souls 3) are less frightening than Mind Flayers (Demon's Souls) but their HP MAX-limiting curse is annnnoooooyyyyyyiiiiiiinnnnnnng.

It has a perfect Survival Horror aesthetic even though the game itself is not really a survival horror game (though kinda aesthetically it is). Anyway, Latria and Irithyll (actually both the topside and the Dungeons, but more the Dungeons) remind me of Silent Hill in some ways.

Drez on
  • Options
    So, I've done everything you can do (minus stuff you can glitch to early and early Dancer) up to Anor Londo. I'm married and all that jazz. Last night I was trolling people via Aldrich Faithful (killed those alligator fools on my second try - the first try I literally rolled right into the mouth of one of the allgators and got "instakilled" [not really instant, but there's no way to escape once you get picked up into its maw]). I always had trouble with those in the distant past.

Anyway, I was trying to fashion troll while PvPing. What do you think?

tbj23v0q1nwx.jpg

• Options
    "New pic might delete later idk"

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    "New pic might delete later idk"

Instasouls

• Options
    I guess Monday mornings are when hackers come out to play?

I've done a surprising amount of PvP in this playthrough, especially with Aldrich Faithful, but I have (to my knowledge) encountered no hackers before this morning.

I encountered two in a row this morning. The first one was invincibly non-corporeal. Intangible. I wasn't able to hit him - my sword literally went right through him. He literally stood there so I know I wasn't missing him - the sword just passed through his torso while he was standing still. So I can only assume hack. I black crystaled out.

The second one was probably my second favorite PvP interaction ever in the whole Soulslike series, if not favorite. I invaded this guy in Anor Londo (again as an Aldrich Faithful) and he would not die. He went down to a sliver of health but I could not kill him. He decided to play cat and mouse with me. He kept running away and hiding - clearly trolling or hoping I'd give up and crystal out.

Well, instead of doing that, I just slowly walked around the entire map many times (on the Aldrich fog gate side, near the Anor Londo bonfire).I found him finally lying down in the corner of the circular stair column that you can raise and lower. I stabbed him point blank and he had a sliver of health. He didn't die but ran away again. I caught up to him but then I stopped running in front of the cathedral doors with the toast animation while he runs on ahead. After like 4-5 minutes he comes find me again while I'm sitting there toasting the cathedral doors and throws a firebomb at me, clearly taunting me to go catch up to him. So I ran through Anor Londor again, trying to find him, but spamming the "I'm Sorry" carving every few seconds. Finally, I run back outside and he's near where I was outside the cathedral doors, not attacking, just walking slowly to me.

So I used the "Very Good" carving once and then ran up to and past him and jumped off the balcony.

That was literally 20-30 minutes of mutual trolling, and I loved it.

• Options
    The Aldrich Faithful ganksquad is the reason I go offline during my playthroughs from Suly to Anor Londo.

Or I use a seed and watch them get absolutely eviscerated by the deacons.

• Options
    The Aldrich Faithful ganksquad is the reason I go offline during my playthroughs from Suly to Anor Londo.

Or I use a seed and watch them get absolutely eviscerated by the deacons.

Somehow, I had almost no invasions in my run attempts. I actually had a crazy easy time through preamble to the Anor Londo bonfire. Those Silver Knights are super dumb.

But the PvP is pretty fun when you're on the other side. I had one battle where it was the host, two blue phantoms, one red phantom and myself. The two blue phantoms ganked the crap out of me but whatever.

I had one fight which had a mad spirit allied to the host. Killed the mad spirit and then killed the host with a sliver of health left. That was awesome.

But I think wearing the symbol of avarice while killing hosts must be very frustrating.

• Options
    I always felt like Belfry Luna was my biggest PvP pain in the series, even more than Aldrich Faithful, but I didn't get invaded once in Belfry Luna when I played through DS2 this time (or Belfry Sol) which kinda saddened me. Maybe I was overleveled, IDK.

• Options
    I was invaded a couple of times in DS2 but mostly in the Dragon Shrine area. Which is kind of a dick move... But I did invade just to see if my online was working and I ended up just playing around with the other players and eventually letting them kill me.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Well, Aldrich is dead.

Next: Dancer.

Edit: Oh yeah, when should I do the DLC? That's brand new content for me. Any suggestions?

Drez on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Well, Aldrich is dead.

Next: Dancer.

Edit: Oh yeah, when should I do the DLC? That's brand new content for me. Any suggestions?

Post Aldrich is fine for the first dlc. Probably wait until you're ready to end the game for the 2nd dlc.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I feel like no Tolling costume is complete without Smough's boob armor.

• Options
    As much as I like the DLC in DS3

That iced over root section in Ariandel can choke on a bag of dirty assholes

This discussion has been closed.