Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Which is probably why I feel stamina starved more than anything else on SL1 runs.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Stragint wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I think I finished Dark Souls 3 with an Endurance of 12, starting from 10. It seemed totally unnecessary in DS3. And that’s playing through as a melee.centric character.

Depending on the weapon low endurance can be totally fine. In Demon's Souls I only get 4 swings 1h and 3 swings 2h. Luckily I can just do 1h even though I don't meet the strength requirement to 1h because the weapon scales off magic so I still do big chunks of damage.

I do kind of want to take the secret dagger and upgrade it to crescent and see how that plays. Uses very little stamina.

Not gonna lie, it's pretty fun running around and pancaking folks with the meat cleaver in DeS, even if I can only get in two wallops before I'm out of stamina.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    280 hours later:

7jhnqCm.jpg

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    "I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why."

It only moves towards black world tendency if you die while in human form. If you are a spirit you can die as much as you want.

I feel like the joke went over my head after rereading this.

The mechanic is easily avoidable once you understand how the game works.

But the game doesn't tell you that dying affects world tendency.

Or how world tendency works.

Or that world tendency is a thing that exists.

It's part of the whole Souls charm.

Agreed, just want to point out that this is 100% deliberate. They intend for people to talk to other people about the souls games, and discover things with their friends, learn new things from their friends, tell their friends things, etc. Even the wiki's and us talking about on this forum right now is what they want to happen.

The community aspect of souls is by design. They don't tell you everything for this reason.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Orphan of Kos, HOW DARE YOU KEEP KILLING ME.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Crescent weapons don't seem to scale all that well moving into NG+ on this magic katana build in Demon's Souls.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Got the platinum for Demon's Souls. It was pretty easy. Most of the achievements happen naturally.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Started up DS3 for the first time. Was not expecting this level of body horror ( I have only played 1 and 2 ).

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ethea wrote: »
    Started up DS3 for the first time. Was not expecting this level of body horror ( I have only played 1 and 2 ).

DS3 is contentious in aesthetics, but my favorite because it feels like a reburnt, ashed, dried out world that needs to die.

I even turn blood off so you get the green/black ichor coming out of enemies and yourself, just to really sell how far gone everything is.

I adore the visual styling and while I don't hope they keep it in Elden Ring (unless the story supports it), I hope to see that kind of slow, dusty apocalyptic style in another game sometime.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    DS3's issue is being far too linear.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »

I don't think it's that much more linear than DS2, both have 3 paths. Neither are as connected as DS1 but DS1 suffers from a massive drop in quality after Anor Londo, so pick your poison I suppose. Come to think of it, the back half of all of the games aren't that great.

I think a little bit of connective tissue in the Smouldering Lake to Irithyll would've been pretty sweet, and apparently it was there at one point (the path that goes down to Irithyll Dungeon also went to the Smouldering Lake), but you can definitely take one of the 3 branches however you wish.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I don't think it's that much more linear than DS2, both have 3 paths. Neither are as connected as DS1 but DS1 suffers from a massive drop in quality after Anor Londo, so pick your poison I suppose. Come to think of it, the back half of all of the games aren't that great.

I think a little bit of connective tissue in the Smouldering Lake to Irithyll would've been pretty sweet, and apparently it was there at one point (the path that goes down to Irithyll Dungeon also went to the Smouldering Lake), but you can definitely take one of the 3 branches however you wish.

DS2 is very linear once you hit Drangleic, but you have a lot of options to reach that point. DS3 feels like it's just a few one-zone branches off the critical path start to finish (aside from the early castle option... that requires being very good at beating a certain boss).

DS1 remains the best of them there easily (in terms of being able to get to places in whatever order)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited April 2021

DS2 is very linear once you hit Drangleic, but you have a lot of options to reach that point. DS3 feels like it's just a few one-zone branches off the critical path start to finish (aside from the early castle option... that requires being very good at beating a certain boss).

DS1 remains the best of them there easily (in terms of being able to get to places in whatever order)

DS3 is branch offs, but I think the world design is far better than DS1's, despite DS1 being a really well-done interconnected place.

I think they just ran out of time and slapped on the end part of DS1 (and likely DS2), which explains why things like Capra Demon Hell in the Demon Ruins exists instead of a well thought out area.

I want to see something with the detail and care of DS3 put into an interconnected, breathing world like DS1 without the sudden slump that happens after the midgame crescendo. Strangely enough, it happens in both DS1 and DS3 with Anor Londo, but DS3 recovers far better with Lothric Castle and the Dreg Heap/KOTFF imho.

I don't know if the areas in DS2 ever hit a super high point but I love Drangleic and the Huntsmans Copse aesthetically.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

DS3 is branch offs, but I think the world design is far better than DS1's, despite DS1 being a really well-done interconnected place.

I think they just ran out of time and slapped on the end part of DS1 (and likely DS2), which explains why things like Capra Demon Hell in the Demon Ruins exists instead of a well thought out area.

I want to see something with the detail and care of DS3 put into an interconnected, breathing world like DS1 without the sudden slump that happens after the midgame crescendo. Strangely enough, it happens in both DS1 and DS3 with Anor Londo, but DS3 recovers far better with Lothric Castle and the Dreg Heap/KOTFF imho.

I don't know if the areas in DS2 ever hit a super high point but I love Drangleic and the Huntsmans Copse aesthetically.

I think the latter half of DS1 has areas that are interesting ideas with poor execution. DS2 had that but all through the game, though nothing super-gimmicky or sparse like the dragon asses/capra hell style areas. I think that in terms of always feeling like you could get back to "somewhere", DS1 was the best at it that I've played, which needs to be stressed as I'm not all the way through DS3 (still in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley), but of what I've played the game might be tighter on the rails but it also feels like every area is more cohesive. Like, they all make sense, they feel both desolate and lived in, and everything feels like yeah, I'd buy that's right here.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I think the latter half of DS1 has areas that are interesting ideas with poor execution. DS2 had that but all through the game, though nothing super-gimmicky or sparse like the dragon asses/capra hell style areas. I think that in terms of always feeling like you could get back to "somewhere", DS1 was the best at it that I've played, which needs to be stressed as I'm not all the way through DS3 (still in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley), but of what I've played the game might be tighter on the rails but it also feels like every area is more cohesive. Like, they all make sense, they feel both desolate and lived in, and everything feels like yeah, I'd buy that's right here.

DS3 also has an insane amount of cut content.

Entire areas were gone, there was supposed to be a time travel mechanic in at least 1 area that effected what would happen there and 3 different time periods, and a lot of the interconnectivity was removed. Probably for time reasons.

They pushed out DS3 really quick. Maybe the studio was just done with the series and wanted it finished.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I played a little more of this to test out how my physio is helping out my hand and actually managed to beat a few bosses and get me the Dragonbone Smasher.

I currently have the stamina to swing this thing twice.

This is more than I need for pretty much anything.

It took 5 swings to finish the Adjudicator. Two of those were knocking him down. Three r2s on the bird and he's dead.

https://youtu.be/B4PpJxQyxww

I also managed to one shot Flamelurker! :D Was pretty pleased with that, I had a ton of trouble with Armored Spider.

https://youtu.be/Fqnh5bfFHlY

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Getting weirdly frustrated with Demon's Souls and it is stuff that is majority my fault. Rushing into stuff and all that.

I feel like there isn't enough of an online community to really get much more out of the game after a platinum. Maybe I'll play through DS1 to DS3 again in offline mode. Not really a fan of all the black phantom cheating that seems to go on.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    DS3 new game? Why not.

Get to the end of Lothric, twinked by some fuckface with a Dragonslayer axe.

That's why I don't play online anymore until I hit the middle/end of it, or NG+.

Literally the worst part of this entire series are these people who can't PVP with anything but end-game weapons in the first level.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yup, and since the remake pretty much uses the same system as the original, at this point in time the vast majority of people being summoned into the Old Monk fight are just twinks.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Yup, and since the remake pretty much uses the same system as the original, at this point in time the vast majority of people being summoned into the Old Monk fight are just twinks.

I hear "there's no advantage to doing it!"

Which doesn't explain why people go out of their way to get high tier weaponry then if there's no advantage in doing it. Some of this requires two accounts, a friend dropping it in their game, or going SL1, none of which is easy.

Just once I'd like to be invaded in Lothric by someone with a Longsword or Claymore instead of a Dark Hand. That's a death I could live with.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Managed to kill Artorias in three tries.

Sat stunned given that it took me at least 30 the first time I beat him years ago and it felt easy this time.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Manus down. First time I’ve beaten him, killed him until he died from it in the second try.

Now I just need to beat Black Dragon Kalameet and I will have killed all the bosses in DS1.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I hear "there's no advantage to doing it!"

Which doesn't explain why people go out of their way to get high tier weaponry then if there's no advantage in doing it. Some of this requires two accounts, a friend dropping it in their game, or going SL1, none of which is easy.

Just once I'd like to be invaded in Lothric by someone with a Longsword or Claymore instead of a Dark Hand. That's a death I could live with.

Whoever said theres no advantage is either lying or a loon.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Darksouls 3:
    Exile greatsword run was pretty smooth, it's really quick and have a really cool moveset. Also easy to get early on. Melted pretty much everyone except Dancer as usual.

Wonder what kind of unique, fun or weird ass weapon I should do next

Peas on
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Darksouls 3:
    Exile greatsword run was pretty smooth, it's really quick and have a really cool moveset. Also easy to get early on. Melted pretty much everyone except Dancer as usual.

Great Mace or Spiked Mace builds.

Great Mace is fuuuuuuun

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I figure once I get 3 I'll try using a weapon that has frostbite damage. I figure it's the only game in the series with that damage type, so if I'm gonna try something new I should try something I can only do in 3.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I figure once I get 3 I'll try using a weapon that has frostbite damage. I figure it's the only game in the series with that damage type, so if I'm gonna try something new I should try something I can only do in 3.

Vordt's Hammer or Friede's Scythe are your only real options.

Both are v fun.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Darksouls 3:

Great Mace is fuuuuuuun
    great mace is kind of trash compared to spiked mace

spiked mace has a wombo combo weapon art, great mace has perseverance but it's the shitty greathammer version that's slow to activate and lasts for like one swing

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    Darksouls 3:

Great Mace is fuuuuuuun
    great mace is kind of trash compared to spiked mace

spiked mace has a wombo combo weapon art, great mace has perseverance but it's the shitty greathammer version that's slow to activate and lasts for like one swing

Lightning GM gets up to 722 2 handed with a 40/40.

It's so sick, and it (unlike bleed) actually works for endgame bosses.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Think my favorite run in 3 was with the executioners great sword, you get it decently early and it’s a good weapon throughout.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Two hand whip with fire enchant was pretty fun, especially for Deacons.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Darksouls 3:

Exile greatsword is gotten from the two dudes in Farron right? I hate those dudes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    In a late DS3 patch, Exile Greatsword got tuned into a completely absurd monster of a weapon, far above anything else in its category. I think it got nerfed shortly after it was first buffed (it had like 650 AR at 66/min heavy) and it's still the strongest in its category at ~600AR, run with 66/minstat heavy. 20/70 sharp murakumo is the only thing close to it.

...I still use Carthus Curved Greatsword instead, for the fashion.

Kamar on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I prefer any greatsword or katana with a swipe light attack and stab heavy attack, like the claymore has, because with also using magic it's nice to keep at the range that a long stab move provides.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Drez wrote: »
    Darksouls 3:

Exile greatsword is gotten from the two dudes in Farron right? I hate those dudes.

There's a funny cheese where you just run past them and get to the ladder, stay on the top rung and they would just fall to their deaths trying to reach you, works for the npc invader there too

Peas on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    And down go Kalameet and Gwyn. Tanked the both of ‘em.

https://youtu.be/F4M9j3qg1JE

Descendant X on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I prefer any greatsword or katana with a swipe light attack and stab heavy attack, like the claymore has, because with also using magic it's nice to keep at the range that a long stab move provides.

I have been using the claymore since I found it, and the moveset is just amazing. I was thinking originally thinking about using a large club, but the claymore has everything.

As this is my first time through DS3 I am trying to not use help to figure out quests / paths / what to do. The chapel with never-ending zombie waves has been fun after I figured out they hate fire.

• Options

I have been using the claymore since I found it, and the moveset is just amazing. I was thinking originally thinking about using a large club, but the claymore has everything.

As this is my first time through DS3 I am trying to not use help to figure out quests / paths / what to do. The chapel with never-ending zombie waves has been fun after I figured out they hate fire.

They also follow skulls when you toss them on the ground, p easy

• Options

I feel like I need to point something out about greatswords in DS3 in particular (something that makes me really like using greatswords in DS3 a lot more).

Greatswords can feel a bit weak for their speed, which can make various fights where your range and stagger matter less a bit rougher...but there's something in the game that makes up for that with a bit of planning: There are three good greatswords in the game which have 20% bonus damage against a particular category of enemy.

These are:
    Hollowslayer Greatsword, made from the Curse-Rotted Greatwood's soul, for killing hollows
    Wolf Knight's Greatsword, made from the Abyss Watchers' soul, for killing abyssal enemies
    Black Knight Sword, found on a corpse in Smouldering Lake, for killing demons

This discussion has been closed.