As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    the hunter's dream doesn't lock out or anything, no

if you get the true ending you can even mark out after first boss phase to get the reward for that, and the second phase will wait until you reenter the fog gate. beating this fight locks you into NG+.

chalice progression carries over.

Thank you!

I’m working through the DLC now which is pretty cool. The research area is neat so far.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Every fight in Bloodborne is basically a lambada. Get in fast and dance. Close. To lambada music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLdoQGBchQ

?

If that's what you meant.

Perfect analogy.

Still the best version of that song, too. The remix(es) pain me.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Even though they are slow and I know I will beat it, the Living Failures fight is a bunch of bullshit.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Picked up DS3 on the PS5 (PS4) because it was on sale. I'll probably have to restart Bloodborne if I start it back up but I may have started up Dead Rising 1 again and might go into 2.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I really hate the maneater fight in Demon's Souls. It is such a poorly designed fight.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I really hate the maneater fight in Demon's Souls. It is such a poorly designed fight.

I've not played DeS too many times, and I always do that part late in the game, so I've always been able to just rush it down so fast I'm never fighting two. Seems cursed to do it any other way.

• Options
    Lady Maria killed me like 40 times last night.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

I've not played DeS too many times, and I always do that part late in the game, so I've always been able to just rush it down so fast I'm never fighting two. Seems cursed to do it any other way.

It usually depends on what build I'm trying to do that determines how early I do it. Right now I'm working on a uchigatana magic build and I need homing soul arrow to really make it shine.

I went and upgraded my crescent uchi to +5 and came back and wrecked the maneater but yea, that fight sucks.

For the achievement for collecting all magic and faith spells, and getting all the rings, does that need to be done on one character?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Been getting into DeS on my shiny new PS5. Its slowly been coming back to me. I freaking imported the original PS3 version and nearly platinumed it, but haven't gone back to it since my PS3 died several years ago.

Got my ass handed to me the first 4 hours or so as I adjusted to the speed of the animations and what the hell the weapon types can do.

Went the wimpy way and have now rerolled as a Royal and blitzed through Phalanx and Tower Knight and headed to 4-1 for the Cresent Falchion. Damn does it feel good to get back in the flow and in tune with one of these games again.

Debating whether to farm some moonshade stones to pump it to +3 or 4 or head to the tower to free Sage Freike to get Flame Toss and Soul Ray.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Been getting into DeS on my shiny new PS5. Its slowly been coming back to me. I freaking imported the original PS3 version and nearly platinumed it, but haven't gone back to it since my PS3 died several years ago.

Got my ass handed to me the first 4 hours or so as I adjusted to the speed of the animations and what the hell the weapon types can do.

Went the wimpy way and have now rerolled as a Royal and blitzed through Phalanx and Tower Knight and headed to 4-1 for the Cresent Falchion. Damn does it feel good to get back in the flow and in tune with one of these games again.

Debating whether to farm some moonshade stones to pump it to +3 or 4 or head to the tower to free Sage Freike to get Flame Toss and Soul Ray.

You can already grab Flame Toss from the apprentice magic person.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

Some tips:

-She's weak(ish) to fire oddly enough
    -If you can use the Beast Roar that can stunlock her up against the wall
    -Don't get greedy
    -Her range extends at each phase
    -There are three phases total
    -Dodge to the left
    -If you need to heal back all the way up; she can damn near hit you from across the room in the last phase
    -Parrying and viscerals can carry the day but you'll need to stay in her face to pull them off

Good hunting. Maria is one of the best fights in the game. Incredibly satisfying once you are finally victorious. Also her clothes are pretty baller, especially on female characters. You can buy them at the insight shop after you defeat her.

• Options
    HeraldS wrote: »

Some tips:

-Don't get greedy
    -Dodge to the left
    -If you need to heal back all the way up; she can damn near hit you from across the room in the last phase
    -Parrying and viscerals can carry the day but you'll need to stay in her face to pull them off

Good hunting. Maria is one of the best fights in the game. Incredibly satisfying once you are finally victorious. Also her clothes are pretty baller, especially on female characters. You can buy them at the insight shop after you defeat her.

Thank you!

I’ve gotten her podcast pretty far down health-wise in phase 3. I usually parry/visceral her through phase 1 and 2. It’s phase 3 that’s gives me problems since she follows pretty much every attack with a slightly lagged, semi-invisible fire attack which can prevent your visceral riposte even if you do parry her.

I really do like the fight, though.

I started messing with Beast Roar last night - maybe I’ll pay more attention to it next time I try. I started delving into more chalice dungeons for a bit instead.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

Some tips:

-Don't get greedy
    -Dodge to the left

Thank you!

I’ve gotten her podcast pretty far down health-wise in phase 3. I usually parry/visceral her through phase 1 and 2. It’s phase 3 that’s gives me problems since she follows pretty much every attack with a slightly lagged, semi-invisible fire attack which can prevent your visceral riposte even if you do parry her.

I started messing with Beast Roar last night - maybe I’ll pay more attention to it next time I try. I started delving into more chalice dungeons for a bit instead.

Yeah phase 3 is definitely the hardest bit. That might be the time to try to burst her down a bit instead of parry+visceral. A fast weapon like the Saw Cleaver or untricked Ludwig's is the best option. IIRC you can usually get 2-3 hits in after you dodge left before you have to worry about her next attack.. If you can enter that phase with more or less full health you should be able to outlast her. Stay close though- it's the long range attacks that can really eat you up. If you've got the charred hunter set from Old Yharnam that can help mitigate her fire damage. I'd recommend 2 health runes and 1 stamina rune for the encounter if you have them too.

• Options

Some tips:

-Don't get greedy
    -Dodge to the left

Thank you!

Yeah phase 3 is definitely the hardest bit. That might be the time to try to burst her down a bit instead of parry+visceral. A fast weapon like the Saw Cleaver or untricked Ludwig's is the best option. IIRC you can usually get 2-3 hits in after you dodge left before you have to worry about her next attack.. If you can enter that phase with more or less full health you should be able to outlast her. Stay close though- it's the long range attacks that can really eat you up. If you've got the charred hunter set from Old Yharnam that can help mitigate her fire damage. I'd recommend 2 health runes and 1 stamina rune for the encounter if you have them too.

“I’ve gotten her podcast pretty far down”? What the hell was I writing there?

And thanks for the tips.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

You can already grab Flame Toss from the apprentice magic person.

Oh...Umbasa

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Or maybe it's very well designed and the developer just hates us.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    "I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why."

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I soooo want to kill Patches, but he sells the best grasses. If only Boletaria or the Nexus would get with the times and open a dispensery not ran by a sociopathic dick head.

I bet ya Saint Urban loads his censure and talisman up with some high grade kush.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Reynolds wrote: »
    "I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why."

It only moves towards black world tendency if you die while in human form. If you are a spirit you can die as much as you want.

I feel like the joke went over my head after rereading this.
    I soooo want to kill Patches, but he sells the best grasses. If only Boletaria or the Nexus would get with the times and open a dispensery not ran by a sociopathic dick head.

I bet ya Saint Urban loads his censure and talisman up with some high grade kush.

Started the quest where I get to kill Patches for a colorless demon soul and it felt so good.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited April 2021

Patches has done nothing wrong, ever, in his entire life.

Kamar on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Being angry at Patches is like the frog being angry with the scorpion. It's just . . . in his nature.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Some tips:

-Don't get greedy
    -Dodge to the left

Thank you!

And thanks for the tips.

If you have enough in arcane, Augur works really well on her to.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

It only moves towards black world tendency if you die while in human form. If you are a spirit you can die as much as you want.

The mechanic is easily avoidable once you understand how the game works.

But the game doesn't tell you that dying affects world tendency.

Or how world tendency works.

Or that world tendency is a thing that exists.

It's part of the whole Souls charm.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Some tips:

-Don't get greedy
    -Dodge to the left

Thank you!

And thanks for the tips.

Cool. I have 40 ARC, actually.

Where can I find this? Can I get it pre-Rom?

• Options

He is a wondrous grass dealer.

Best dealer, compeer.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Some tips:

-Don't get greedy
    -Dodge to the left

Thank you!

And thanks for the tips.

Yeah. It's in the
    small part of the Lecture Building you can access on the way to Nightmare Frontier. Which, if you haven't been, you access by getting a Tonsil Stone from any (I think?) red lantern window, then going to the big seemingly pointless open building with a basin which normally kills you with an invisible/horrible monstrosity at the end of the path to the right of the Cathedral facing the entrance like you're coming to fight Vicar, left if you're coming from inside the cathedral. Let it grab you but you won't die with the stone.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I like Patches.

I almost laughed my ass off after meeting him in Bloodborne
    after seeing roughly the same cutscene for the fifth time in a row as I play through the entire series back-to-back.

Drez on
  • Options
    I like Patches.

I almost laughed my ass off when you meet him in Bloodborne
    after seeing roughly the same cutscene for the fifth time in a row as I play through the entire series.

Oh if you've seen Patches in Bloodborne before Rom then afaik you've already been through the area where you can get Augur.

• Options
    I like Patches.

I almost laughed my ass off when you meet him in Bloodborne
    after seeing roughly the same cutscene for the fifth time in a row as I play through the entire series.

Oh if you've seen Patches in Bloodborne before Rom then afaik you've already been through the area where you can get Augur.

Hmm okay. Thanks.

• Options

Some tips:

-Don't get greedy
    -Dodge to the left

Thank you!

And thanks for the tips.

Yeah. It's in the
    small part of the Lecture Building you can access on the way to Nightmare Frontier. Which, if you haven't been, you access by getting a Tonsil Stone from any (I think?) red lantern window, then going to the big seemingly pointless open building with a basin which normally kills you with an invisible/horrible monstrosity at the end of the path to the right of the Cathedral facing the entrance like you're coming to fight Vicar, left if you're coming from inside the cathedral. Let it grab you but you won't die with the stone.

Oh! Okay. Yeah I finished all the non-DLC pre-Rom content so I must have missed it. I’ll take a look now. I thought I had been all over the current-accessible parts of that area, but I guess not.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Some tips:

-Don't get greedy
    -Dodge to the left

Thank you!

And thanks for the tips.

Yeah. It's in the

Oh! Okay. Yeah I finished all the non-DLC pre-Rom content so I must have missed it. I’ll take a look now. I thought I had been all over the current-accessible parts of that area, but I guess not.

If you need more detail,
    Wiki wrote:
    It can be found in the Lecture Building 1st Floor and obtained in a chest on the right side of the building (looking from the lamp to the frontier portal). The key to the locked lecture room that leads to this chest can be found in the lecture room on the left, on the lecturer's body.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Oh my god.

I just killed her. First time trying with the Augur.

Thanks for the tips, all of you!

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

The mechanic is easily avoidable once you understand how the game works.

But the game doesn't tell you that dying affects world tendency.

Or how world tendency works.

Or that world tendency is a thing that exists.

It's part of the whole Souls charm.

Lets not forget character tendency and the affects that has on the game as well.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Stumbling onto Patches accidently in the Nightmare was one of my favorite Bloodbourne moments my first playthrough:
    Darkened Room, Voice Calls out from the Spider-shape in a Doorway: Ahhhh, Brave Hunter! Ehehhehheh, I see you have been wait what are you doing

Hunter: *JESUS-FUCK- A TALKING SPIDER, KILL IT!* (Already in the middle of power-swinging the Kirkhammer)

Patches: (puts out a single, futile leg) Stop, but don't! I'm...

Kirkhammer: *SQUELCH*

Hunter: (guiltily inspecting spider mess on the end of his Hammer) Ah geez...sorry guy that's, that's my bad. Just...whoops!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    PvP is so bad in Demon's Souls. So laggy.

Also really need to increase my endurance. Really starting to feel the 10 endurance

Stragint on

• Options
    Oh man, I was lagging on my endurance too in DeS, and wound up becoming way too dependent on the Ring of Whichever One Ups Your Equip Weight. I'm in the endgame and have it upped to 30-ish now, but if I had to do it over I would've made sure to keep that boosted so I can actually swing a weapon more than twice and wear armor more substantial than a paper bag.

• Options
    I think I finished Dark Souls 3 with an Endurance of 12, starting from 10. It seemed totally unnecessary in DS3. And that’s playing through as a melee.centric character.

• Options
    I think I finished Dark Souls 3 with an Endurance of 12, starting from 10. It seemed totally unnecessary in DS3. And that’s playing through as a melee.centric character.

Depending on the weapon low endurance can be totally fine. In Demon's Souls I only get 4 swings 1h and 3 swings 2h. Luckily I can just do 1h even though I don't meet the strength requirement to 1h because the weapon scales off magic so I still do big chunks of damage.

I do kind of want to take the secret dagger and upgrade it to crescent and see how that plays. Uses very little stamina.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    longsword: swings 8 times, does 300 damage
    greathammer: swings twice, does 500 damage

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I like high endurance even when it's not strictly necessary (even in BB with stamina runes I have trouble making myself stay under 20). Makes it a lot easier to pull off going hyper aggressive without ending up with nothing in the tank and getting walloped.

Which is why in all of these games, my absolute first priority is 20 in the stamina stat unless I absolutely NEED stats elsewhere to make the build work.

Kamar on
This discussion has been closed.