Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dark Souls update: I made it through The Depths, and then Upper Blighttown, and now I'm at the Lower Blighttown bonfire.

Spoilery question about Anor Londo:
    Am I able to fly back once I go, before beating S&O but without re-crossing that *(&#@$(&@# bridge? I legit can't remember and since I never beat S&O and the bridge is garbage, I'm worried about getting stuck there. Darkroot Garden outstrips Anor Londo for powerleveling and I'd like to not give that spot up if I need to do some more leveling once I get into Anor Londo.

And a less spoilery question about Anor Londo: What's a good SL for Anor Londo? I am SL44 right now, mainly focused on DEX (23 DEX right now, my highest stat), though I've been using my Drake Sword as a crutch ever since Undead Parish. The Baldur Straight Sword never dropped even though I farmed in Undead Parish a bit. I did get the Baldur armor set, though I'm not using it. I think a lot of my problems in previous runs is that I went for medium or heavy armor, but this time I'm sticking with the Thief's default set and it's working for me grandly.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    You can fly back but you have to go back to the point in Anor Londo you came in on. Until you get fast travel you just have to hoof it. Getting down from Sen's is much easier than going up it, there's a few holes you can fall down.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    OK thanks.

Maybe I'll grind a little in Darkroot before I go.

Well I am getting ahead of myself. Let's see if I can beat Quelaag before Nioh unlocks at midnight - that gives me 21 minutes. Wish me luck!

• Options
    Quelaag is dead but I feel terrible. She was like 2-3 hits from dead and the other human player I summoned died. Poor bastard.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I tried the Nioh demo, and the instant I understood the combat system I knew it wasn't for me. Way too complicated and in depth for my skill level. But I'm glad it exists as an alternative that some people clearly love.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Well, I finished the intro and tutorial. Time for bed but it looks so good. How I've missed thee, Nioh.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    dear god nioh 1 is hard; the horror. i love it.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Quelaag is dead but I feel terrible. She was like 2-3 hits from dead and the other human player I summoned died. Poor bastard.

Don't feel bad :) When helping, it's really important that the player survives. If the player dies, noone gets anything. Ghosts are supposed to know the fight and be able to take care of themselves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    You can fly back but you have to go back to the point in Anor Londo you came in on. Until you get fast travel you just have to hoof it. Getting down from Sen's is much easier than going up it, there's a few holes you can fall down.
    Also once you've made it to the top of the funhouse you can activate the shortcut cageelevator that lets you skip most of the place.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    They put you in mean encounters but you have the moveset to trash those encounters because protags of both Nioh games shit on any souls protag including bb in terms of power level.

It's more like a logical escalation tying in with your rising skill level. "Ok you can beat that, now can you beat this?"

They're the character action game of souls.

Totes, it gives a lot of tools--even just the basics like using rocks/arrows to split up mobs goes a long way.

That said, fresh to the series you're gonna get rolled and be confused.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im downloading nioh 3 rn excited to use guest character bayonetta will report back

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    There's something about how the character keeps their head locked on the enemy when doing directional running in Nioh that I find really satisfying. Like the running cycle in Nier:A.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I am going to need

So much time

With Nioh 2's character creator. Holy shit the real Dark Souls starts here.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I am going to need

So much time

That good?

Fuuuuck 6 o clock can't get here fast enough

• Options
    I am going to need

So much time

That good?

The tools are real good while also allowing for an end result that looks real good, but with enough range to let you get yourself into trouble and create a monstrosity instead. It truly seems to cover what anyone may want out of a character creator.

• Options
    im downloading nioh 3 rn excited to use guest character bayonetta will report back

um

• Options
    I am going to need

So much time

No, sorry, I forbid everyone from playing Nioh 2 before I beat Nioh 1.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I bounced off Nioh 1 pretty hard, I wonder if Nioh 2 would hook me more.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Finally took down the Capra Demon. The fight wasn't necessarily hard but the camera was killing me and sometimes I'd dodge left or right instead of backward even though I was holding back.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Finally took down the Capra Demon. The fight wasn't necessarily hard but the camera was killing me and sometimes I'd dodge left or right instead of backward even though I was holding back.

Never hold back while fighting the Capra Demon.

*cough*

• Options
    I didn't have a problem with the capra demon

That said, I died to the Taurus Demon like 5 times. Also, Pinwheel killed me once.

• Options
    I didn't have a problem with the capra demon

That said, I died to the Taurus Demon like 5 times. Also, Pinwheel killed me once.

Yeah I didn't die either, but those basalisks can die in a fire. I don't know why but they were harder than the actual demon. Capra can be blocked and he telegraphs his attacks long before he does them.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I am going to need

So much time

That good?

The tools are real good while also allowing for an end result that looks real good, but with enough range to let you get yourself into trouble and create a monstrosity instead. It truly seems to cover what anyone may want out of a character creator.

Looking forward to the eventual Monster Factory episode on Nioh 2 then.

I love a good character creator. I will spend way too much time in it. And then while playing the game, I will 100% wear items based on their aesthetics. Fashionsouls is what I am here for, killing demons and skelemans and such is just an added benefit.

Cruor on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Not sure which weapon I am going to stick with this time around, Nioh 1 I mained the kusarigamas/dual swords before eventually doing the busted ass shuriken build for NG++.

So far doing dual swords and kusa again but the switchglaive is some straight up monster hunter/bloodborne shit and I am all about it.

Aretè on
  • Options
    Holy fuck the Depths. LOOK AT THAT RAT!

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I am going to need

So much time

That good?

I love a good character creator. I will spend way too much time in it. And then while playing the game, I will 100% wear items based on their aesthetics. Fashionsouls is what I am here for, killing demons and skelemans and such is just an added benefit.

Absolutely, they'll be able to make some amazingly terrible things in it.

I tried to go for the other approach.
    B866784362F347A408DEA721D52C33CCBF3F5CD4

Now to actually try playing the game.

Seems to have a decent tutorial but hell if i'll be able to remember all this stuff in actual fights. Not leaving a grave when you die in human form is troubling as well.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Holy fuck the Depths. LOOK AT THAT RAT!

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I am going to need

So much time

That good?

Absolutely, they'll be able to make some amazingly terrible things in it.

I tried to go for the other approach.
    B866784362F347A408DEA721D52C33CCBF3F5CD4

Now to actually try playing the game.

Seems to have a decent tutorial but hell if i'll be able to remember all this stuff in actual fights. Not leaving a grave when you die in human form is troubling as well.

Nioh 1 took me several facecrushings before I could remember the ki stuff, which the entire fighting mechanic rests on. Tap tap tap BUMPER *ki*

• Options
    I think I've cleared the depths? I took care of the large rat. Got invaded twice... Won once and lost the other :(

I navigated through murdering these frog like things that shoot some horrible poison gas. But there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go down there. May need to swing back and go towards where I was previously. I entered a very, very large room with a few summon spots so I assume it's big boss time... But at the time I had like 8k souls and didn't want to lose anything.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I think I've cleared the depths? I took care of the large rat. Got invaded twice... Won once and lost the other :(

I navigated through murdering these frog like things that shoot some horrible poison gas. But there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go down there. May need to swing back and go towards where I was previously. I entered a very, very large room with a few summon spots so I assume it's big boss time... But at the time I had like 8k souls and didn't want to lose anything.

You will definitely want to go back to the very very large room.

And yes, don't stand in the horrible "poison" gas.

the gas
    will actually petrify you, not poison you.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    it's an even worse effect than that, and you really really don't want to learn about it.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I see what people mean about nioh 1 staring harder than dark souls and then becoming easier once it clicks, don’t get me wrong one fuck up will still kill me but after about 10 hours it clicked and I’m going through groups of enemies like a whirlwind of death. It’s actually pretty impressive how they managed to make it so it’s still super punishing and you can get one shot ala souls but also make you feel like much more of a badass than the souls protagonists

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    I see what people mean about nioh 1 staring harder than dark souls and then becoming easier once it clicks, don’t get me wrong one fuck up will still kill me but after about 10 hours it clicked and I’m going through groups of enemies like a whirlwind of death. It’s actually pretty impressive how they managed to make it so it’s still super punishing and you can get one shot ala souls but also make you feel like much more of a badass than the souls protagonists

Apparently Nioh 2 has an actual difficulty curve that ramps up. I've heard it compared to Sekiro, which is very favorable.

• Options
    Well I've beaten the first boss, so now it's all gravy going forward. However far I get it'll be further than Nioh 1.

Late title card, and an in-world acknowledgement that the PC doesn't talk. I'm on board.

• Options
    Well I've beaten the first boss, so now it's all gravy going forward. However far I get it'll be further than Nioh 1.

Late title card, and an in-world acknowledgement that the PC doesn't talk. I'm on board.

Same.

Wish screenshots weren't washed out when you used HDR, but it is what it is

g6wc35rqhqkj.png

• Options
    edited February 2021
    The stray demon fight is cheap garbage. I'm getting really irritated.

Drez on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Just stay way behind it and bleed it out with tail slashes, it's very susceptible to bleed damage. Any bandit knife/reinforced club/uchi should proc a bleed every few swings, even without upgrades.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Kamar wrote: »

Just stay way behind it and bleed it out with tail slashes, it's very susceptible to bleed damage. Any bandit knife/reinforced club/uchi should proc a bleed every few swings, even without upgrades.

Thanks...I forgot about the bleed damage.

I beat it.

I ended up re-attuning my magic to pyromancy. I had three slots so I slotted Fireball, Fire Orb, and Combustion. I literally used all 12 charges of combustion, all 8 of fireball, and all 6 of fire orb, none of them missing as far as I recall, and 5-7 swipes of my Drake Sword wielded in both hands. That's with a +10 pyromancy flame. That's kinda shitty, but whatever. It's over, at least.

Now I'm sitting at Andre's bonfire trying to decide if I should just go straight on to Sen's Fortress or if I should go tackle the catacombs first. I did run through it earlier to kill Pinwheel, but I didn't go through it properly - didn't meet Patches and didn't get the skull lantern. Not having the lantern kinda sucks but I don't know if I really have the strength to mess with the catacombs again right now.

Eh, as much as I want the lantern, I'm just gonna head to Sen's first.

Drez on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

I beat it.

I ended up re-attuning my magic to pyromancy. I had three slots so I slotted Fireball, Fire Orb, and Combustion. I literally used all 12 charges of combustion, all 8 of fireball, and all 6 of fire orb, none of them missing as far as I recall, and 5-7 swipes of my Drake Sword wielded in both hands. That's with a +10 pyromancy flame. That's kinda shitty, but whatever. It's over, at least.

Now I'm sitting at Andre's bonfire trying to decide if I should just go straight on to Sen's Fortress or if I should go tackle the catacombs first. I did run through it earlier to kill Pinwheel, but I didn't go through it properly - didn't meet Patches and didn't get the skull lantern. Not having the lantern kinda sucks but I don't know if I really have the strength to mess with the catacombs again right now.

Climbing out of the Catacombs without warps is the worst, so if you do go, I'd definitely not sit at any bonfires past the first if you go there before Anor Londo.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited February 2021

I beat it.

Climbing out of the Catacombs without warps is the worst, so if you do go, I'd definitely not sit at any bonfires past the first if you go there before Anor Londo.

Thanks, good point. I actually had a heck of a time trying to get out after Pinwheel. But that's because I couldn't see the stupid ladder next to the place you first dropped down to get to the bonfire next to the necromancer.

Drez on
This discussion has been closed.