As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Play the original PC version. Maybe try some mods even!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'd play the PC Remaster. Lots of QoL, native 60fps without weird 'fall through the world' risk, and complaints about the textures are drastically overblown.

Also the big mods are on it now anyway.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I got fed up with Demon’s Souls NG+ already, so I decided to give Dark Souls Remastered on the Switch another shot and it’s not so bad when I remember not to accidentally kill NPCs.

Right now, every current respawn is a choice between: Do I want the Taurus Demon or Havel to kill me this time?

Whenever I usually start over in Dark Souls, I typically make my way to Darkroot Basin before I do anything else. Maybe I’ll just run past Havel for now. He’s kind of dumb anyway, but surprisingly fast.

I guess I can lure him upstairs and then run back downstairs.

I already have the Astora’s Straight Sword and the Dragon Crest Shield.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    I'd play the PC Remaster. Lots of QoL, native 60fps without weird 'fall through the world' risk, and complaints about the textures are drastically overblown.

Also the big mods are on it now anyway.

I’m probably going to pay the 20 bucks and play it on the PC, to be honest. The switch is cool but I just think I want it on the PC.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Havel ain't too bad to avoid. As you come down the stairs, he will come up the stairs. Roll off the stairs, cancel your fall stun with a roll over to the door, open (you are invincible during this animation), then roll out. Even if he catches up to you the first time, he wont the second time when you roll out that door after the drop.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Havel ain't too bad to avoid. As you come down the stairs, he will come up the stairs. Roll off the stairs, cancel your fall stun with a roll over to the door, open (you are invincible during this animation), then roll out. Even if he catches up to you the first time, he wont the second time when you roll out that door after the drop.

Yeah, he doesn’t seem to really leave his tower.

Also, I just beat the Taurus Demon so maybe I’ll just stick with the Switch version for now. I forgot I have this upscaling hardware device thingie for when I played docked so it actually looks pretty good.

Any suggestions on what kind of build I should aim for to solo S&O later? I never beat them, but even with two blue phantoms supporting me. I think I’ve always gone for a Strength build and mained a great sword. I want to aim for something else this time.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Drez wrote: »

Also, I just beat the Taurus Demon so maybe I’ll just stick with the Switch version for now. I forgot I have this upscaling hardware device thingie for when I played docked so it actually looks pretty good.

Any suggestions on what kind of build I should aim for to solo S&O later? I never beat them, but even with two blue phantoms supporting me. I think I’ve always gone for a Strength build and mained a great sword. I want to aim for something else this time.

It's pretty easy to get a Baldur Side Sword while at Sen's Fortress, as there's two or three Baldur Knights near the upper bonfire. It's an excellent straight sword with fantastic reach and moves that, IIRC, benefits from a dex build. I'm certainly not alone in saying I've taken just about everything in the game with one, more than once.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

He wont go out the door at the bottom. Once you are in darkroot you are safe.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »

It's pretty easy to get a Baldur Side Sword while at Sen's Fortress, as there's two or three Baldur Knights near the upper bonfire. It's an excellent straight sword with fantastic reach and moves that, IIRC, benefits from a dex build. I'm certainly not alone in saying I've taken just about everything in the game with one, more than once.

It's one of the best weapons in the game, really.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Well, still using Astoria's Straight Sword for now, but I will keep an eye out for Baldur swords.

I'm making good progress - I already rang one bell. Still haven't been to Darkroot Basin, so this is definitely a different way than I've played in the past. I tried blundering into Blighttown via Valley of the Drakes, but the stupid third giant on the way in bonked me into bonkblivion.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I remember farming for a Baldur's Side Sword once.
    I did not have a lucky farm.

It was soul crushing torture that took forever.

I did get one tho but jeeeez.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    BSS's moveset is probably better than the Astora Straight Sword's, but I have more fun with the Astoran's. Got some nice variety between its 1h and 2h movesets. Plus it's got that holy magic damage, which is cool, and comes in handy on some occasions.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

He wont go out the door at the bottom. Once you are in darkroot you are safe.

well, safe from Havel anyway....

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    BSS's moveset is probably better than the Astora Straight Sword's, but I have more fun with the Astoran's. Got some nice variety between its 1h and 2h movesets. Plus it's got that holy magic damage, which is cool, and comes in handy on some occasions.

I actually love it too, but I never beat S&O with it and I'm sure I tried.

I also am fairly certain I tried with a Baldur Straight Sword in the past too.

• Options
    Also, if I've gotten up to S&O multiple times in the past, does that mean I rang both bells multiple times in the past? Because I really do not remember that. I remember fighting the Bell Gargoyles and winning once. I vaguely remember beating Quelaag once. Can you make a fire sword from her soul? That sounds familiar, but all the games are now running together for me.

I'm almost positive I have gotten past that dang blaster silver skeleton bridge in Anor Londo more than once and beat my head against a wall trying to fight S&O more than once but I just cannot dig that memory out of the chasm that is my memory.

So my question is: Are you able to get to Sen's Fortress/Anor Londo some other way, or is that literally the only way?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Only way to get to Anor Londo is ringing both bells, short of using major out of bounds glitches. If you've been to Anor Londo, you've rung the bells before.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Only way to get to Anor Londo is ringing both bells, short of using major out of bounds glitches. If you've been to Anor Londo, you've rung the bells before.

And have gotten through Sen's Fortress.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

And have gotten through Sen's Fortress.

Bouldered lizard man, best part of Sens.

• Options
    edited February 2021

I actually love it too, but I never beat S&O with it and I'm sure I tried.

I also am fairly certain I tried with a Baldur Straight Sword in the past too.

Even on runs where I use the BSS, I usually use a Silver Knight Straight Sword for O&S because you can max it out with the giant because it's Twinkling Titanite, whereas your BSS is probably at +10 at that point unless you've wandered to New Londo early.

Of course, I'd say SKSS is the best sword that you use like a sword, since BSS gets has an unusually high motion value AND a chance at counter hits on its R2 poke that encourages just R2 spamming like it's a big estoc, and the higher damage swords (Dark Sword and Sunlight Straight Sword) have slower swings.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Thanks, folks.

Right now I'm farming for the Crest of Artorias which is annoying but will be fun soon. Only need 3 more runs around the parish. Then I get to agonizingly try and steal the Pharis Bow or whatever it's called.

Drez on
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, I've been trying to push through Nioh 2 again. I finally realized a disconnect between expectation and reality and have been enjoying it more.

I've been clearing all maps 100% every time in Nioh 2, but that's pointless, because there is nothing special hidden anywhere. Maybe the first instance of a Sentient or Purity weapon to get you started looting those, but you can look those up (and probably want to farm to be able to smith them).

Its also heavily favors stacking a gear set for a single approach to killing, i.e. spamming this skill or applying this debuff then spamming attack.

Those two things together...it really is an ARPG with better combat, as much or more than it is a Soulslike. Adjusting my expectations thusly is helping a lot.

• Options
    On a different subject, I was reminded of this today and it brought me to tears from laughing. Again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shittydarksouls/comments/c4rz6l/peak_of_dark_souls_multiplayer/

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Slightly off topic, I've been trying to push through Nioh 2 again. I finally realized a disconnect between expectation and reality and have been enjoying it more.

I've been clearing all maps 100% every time in Nioh 2, but that's pointless, because there is nothing special hidden anywhere. Maybe the first instance of a Sentient or Purity weapon to get you started looting those, but you can look those up (and probably want to farm to be able to smith them).

Its also heavily favors stacking a gear set for a single approach to killing, i.e. spamming this skill or applying this debuff then spamming attack.

Those two things together...it really is an ARPG with better combat, as much or more than it is a Soulslike. Adjusting my expectations thusly is helping a lot.

I never even beat Nioh 1 but I did love it when it first came out.

I'm thinking of getting the Nioh 1+2 complete collection on the PS5 - comes out Friday.

I could also just buy the Nioh 2 complete edition on the PC since I already have the PC version of Nioh 1 on PC. I'm not sure though.

edit: My biggest claim to fame in Nioh was getting the Umi-Bozu crusher title (kill the boss without getting hit).

Drez on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    On a different subject, I was reminded of this today and it brought me to tears from laughing. Again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shittydarksouls/comments/c4rz6l/peak_of_dark_souls_multiplayer/

god this clip just escalates so perfectly

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    [-

Star Platinum vs King Crimson?

• Options
    Capra Demon fight is a hot mess, but I somehow took him down on my third try which is basically a miracle. I almost had him on my first try, but then I got stuck and my last hit didn’t connect. I died in like 2 seconds on my second try.

I’m pretty sure I actually skipped Lower Undead Burg and The Depths on my way to Anor Londo last time.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Hi guys... I decided to pick up Dark Souls: Remastered. I'm probably 3 hours into it (just ran through the church and got the upgrade for my flask behind the big shield dude) but I think I might have to restart. I went with Pyromancer as my class and pumped a lot of my stat points into Intelligence thinking it'd help my flame damage but since I can only have 8 I wonder if I should start over from the beginning again.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hi guys... I decided to pick up Dark Souls: Remastered. I'm probably 3 hours into it (just ran through the church and got the upgrade for my flask behind the big shield dude) but I think I might have to restart. I went with Pyromancer as my class and pumped a lot of my stat points into Intelligence thinking it'd help my flame damage but since I can only have 8 I wonder if I should start over from the beginning again.

So yeah, you goofed. In the first Dark Souls pyromancies only scale with the level of the flame. You're basically just looking to get attunement up to 3-4 slots, and only once you rescue the pyromancy guy. Until then you just play any other build.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Get a catalyst and soul arrow stuff for now.

• Options
    Yeah, Pyromancer in the first game was a good jump-off point for being a mage-ish character, if you've been pumping INT grab up some sorcery stuff, I seem to remember it comes relatively sooner than the pyromancy stuff? Then again it's been at least 5 years since I played the original so I might be wrong there.

• Options
    Yeah I'm not entirely sure where to find new spells. I've just been running around, getting rocked by dragons, gargoyles, knights with giant hammers... haha.

• Options
    Yeah I'm not entirely sure where to find new spells. I've just been running around, getting rocked by dragons, gargoyles, knights with giant hammers... haha.

If you want sorceries, you're going to want to buy the Residence Key from the Undead Merchant in the Undead Burg (for 1,000 souls), and then find Griggs of Vinheim in the Lower Level of the Undead Burg. You can technically also buy some from Rickert of Vinheim who is down the elevator to the ghost town area and around a small ramp (he's locked himself behind a door so you're looking for an alcove a door or bars on it?), just a note his spells are more expensive.

New pyromancies you won't get really until you find Laurentius down in the Depths (which is below the Lower Undead Burg).

For both of those characters, you rescue them and then they're back at Firelink Shrine to buy things from.

• Options
    Okay what sort of dark magic do you guys use to get a controller working on Dark Souls: Remastered on Steam? It worked the first time, and every time after it takes me like 40 relaunches for it to work.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    You can get spells early on but you pretty much have to know where to look, they are pretty much hidden/unlocked in obscure places
    I am not sure if you want to discover them organically or be given hints but if you are new and unfamiliar with the game you might be stuck with a couple of spells for quite a while as a caster, especially if you are a pyromancer

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’d like to add that the game’s designers are into it having a shared community, comparing it to sharing secrets about Zelda 1 back in the day.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Okay what sort of dark magic do you guys use to get a controller working on Dark Souls: Remastered on Steam? It worked the first time, and every time after it takes me like 40 relaunches for it to work.

Wireless or wired?

Either or, reconnect it. I have an xbox one controller I have to disconnect and reconnect to get Steam to recognize it after my computer goes to sleep.

• Options

Wireless or wired?

Either or, reconnect it. I have an xbox one controller I have to disconnect and reconnect to get Steam to recognize it after my computer goes to sleep.

Yeah I think I figured it out? I've launched it twice since and it worked perfectly. I use an app called reWASD to map my controls for Xbox Game Pass and other programs (so I don't have to flip the controls in my head and use a Switch Pro Controller).

• Options
    Man the iframes when you're dodging is horribly misleading. I'm far too used to being able to dodge at the last minute to avoid damage but this game doesn't play by that shit. I did end up taking down the demon on the bridge with my melee character. I ran up the ladder, jumped down on his face, booked it and ran back to the ladder... rinse and repeat.

• Options

Wireless or wired?

Yeah I think I figured it out? I've launched it twice since and it worked perfectly. I use an app called reWASD to map my controls for Xbox Game Pass and other programs (so I don't have to flip the controls in my head and use a Switch Pro Controller).

That windows app is cheating. You actually have to buy a Dark Magic spell called Control Controller to get the controller working consistently. But you can only learn it in NG++ and it costs 1,000,000 souls.

• Options
    Man the iframes when you're dodging is horribly misleading. I'm far too used to being able to dodge at the last minute to avoid damage but this game doesn't play by that shit. I did end up taking down the demon on the bridge with my melee character. I ran up the ladder, jumped down on his face, booked it and ran back to the ladder... rinse and repeat.

How heavy are you?

By that, I mean what's your burden ratio.

This discussion has been closed.