As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Ravens are dumb because there's zero in-game incentive for hunting them, other than contributing to a superfluous quantity of EXP.

I'm not even sure there's any minor dialogue that addresses the frequency with which Kratos tosses his axe at spectral birds no one else seems to see. If you can't write some lore for this activity, at least give me jokes.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Yeah, the Ravens are dumb because there's zero in-game incentive for hunting them, other than contributing to a superfluous quantity of EXP.

I'm not even sure there's any minor dialogue that addresses the frequency with which Kratos tosses his axe at spectral birds no one else seems to see. If you can't write some lore for this activity, at least give me jokes.

See I'd argue that's good. There's a collect-a-thon for folks that like big collect-a-thons, but it doesn't stop you from getting anything at all so everyone else can safely ignore it. Good design!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The raven thing got much better when I recognized they also have an audio cue when one is close by. It's easily the worst 'get/do this' in the game, though.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    It's a double whammy of not having a standard map to mark items found, and a slow and often frustrating travel process, which are basically my biggest complaints with the game. It's too close to open world, without the niceties to make that work well. Mordor and Horizon come to mind as having had very nice, manageable amounts of things to find, and a much easier way of physically reaching those items.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I loved picking up the artifacts and sniping the ravens. I haven't tried to get all of the Ravens yet though. It is kind of dumb that they'd have such a meticulous listing of everything you can find and get for each area in the menu, and then just leave some ravens off of that.

Also for Valkyries, its not that the last bit of health is rigged, its that when you get them to very low health the game has to register that and create an opportunity for the valkyrie to fall down "stunned" so you can do the finishing move. If its health reaches that point during a combo or an attack sequence, it's going to finish going through all of that before registering that it needs to be stunned.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i saw a bunch of those ravens in my first 8 hours or so with the game, but the first one i thought i hit with my axe and it didn't do anything, so i figured they were all decorative because the game didn't really say otherwise.

i hit another one with my axe way later and 1/51 came up and i just laughed. i don't do collectables so i didn't really care but yeesh that would have been frustrating because it's so hard to get back to a lot of those areas.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You can find a lot of the Ravens by moving the cursor on the map around to individual areas. If you don't see something like Ravens: 1/5 and it's a list of Unknowns then you know there's at least one Raven there, probably more.
    There is also one Raven in every Valkyrie chamber, sometimes outside the arena itself.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I just finished Niflheim last night. I absolutely LOVED this concept of the poisonous mist and having to get in and get out with the loot. I hope we get more like that!

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    You can find a lot of the Ravens by moving the cursor on the map around to individual areas. If you don't see something like Ravens: 1/5 and it's a list of Unknowns then you know there's at least one Raven there, probably more.
    There is also one Raven in every Valkyrie chamber, sometimes outside the arena itself.

I can confirm this. You don't need to physically scour the whole map for ravens. I managed to get about 40 of them in my initial run and I cleaned up in the post-game by hovering over areas of my map and making sure I got all the birds in that area. There are one or two little beach docks that may not show up on the map until you physically go there. Cliff of Ravens was one of them for me.

Once you narrow down which areas you need to head to, then you can look up a guide for that specific place and snipe them pretty easily.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    There are some Midgard ravens (at least 6?) that are not tracked in any area. I have all areas at 100%, but am still missing 6 ravens in Midgard.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    13 ravens left, all in Midgard. Great let's walk back through the whole game following a collectible guide this is fun. Man i hate collectibles in games.

Err uhh...then... why do it?

This seems to be on you my friend.

Because it's the only thing left to get the platinum trophy? I did all the fun stuff, and now I'm bitching about the drudgery that they put in the game for no particular reason if you want to 100% complete it. This game is way less bad than some games for this kind of thing, but I generally don't like that developers feel the need to put stuff like this in games. Just have it all be fun stuff! Or at least have lore tied to it or something to make it seem even vaguely worthwhile.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    13 ravens left, all in Midgard. Great let's walk back through the whole game following a collectible guide this is fun. Man i hate collectibles in games.

Err uhh...then... why do it?

This seems to be on you my friend.

Because it's the only thing left to get the platinum trophy? I did all the fun stuff, and now I'm bitching about the drudgery that they put in the game for no particular reason if you want to 100% complete it. This game is way less bad than some games for this kind of thing, but I generally don't like that developers feel the need to put stuff like this in games. Just have it all be fun stuff! Or at least have lore tied to it or something to make it seem even vaguely worthwhile.

The particular reason can be as simple some people like collect-a-thons so they threw that in there for folks who just want a simple reason to roam around the world more.

That is a much better reason than leaving it out because you don't want to do it for your 100%.

I get that idea that someone enjoys doing 100% of everything in a game. But by that very statement it's saying 100%. Optional things for various types of players are good, which means in most cases there will be things that are not there for you as a given player, but wanting to get 100% means you know that and playing parts of the game you don't like is in the end what you want to be doing. So saying you want to do 100% of the things in the game but want less things in the game so you can do less to get 100%... well that's not really wanting to do 100%. Which is what leaves me confused!

• Options
    I would say the perspective you aren't understanding is the belief that ideally what a game quantifies as "100%" represents objectives that are broadly enjoyable and rewarding; those qualities can obviously be very subjective, but as it pertains to the current argument, I think you can acknowledge that the Raven Killing trophy is oriented towards a niche population (those that enjoy collectable objectives for the sake of collecting) and can thusly be frustrating for someone like Ah_Pook, who presumably does not belong to that population.

Something that makes the Raven trophy curious is that there are many other equivalent tasks, like finding all the Lore Markers (not to be confused with all Jotun tableaus) or all of the Mystic Gateways, but they don't have accompanying trophies — which I think better serves the two populations of "people that like collecting everything" and "people that want all the trophies".

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

There's only one in the "lake of nine" area, I believe. All the others should be separated into the smaller individual areas which should help narrow it down a lot, just by looking at the map screen.

Aistan on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

There's only one in the "lake of nine" area, I believe. All the others should be separated into the smaller individual areas which should help narrow it down a lot, just by looking at the map screen.

There is also the Bullshit Raven (my pet name for it):
    Only one left to find, and it's in the Council of Valkyries. It's probably on one of the seats.
    Nope.
    Maybe it's on top of the cliffs? Nah.
    Oh, I bet it's flying around over the council so I can't see it when I look up from the middle. Hmm, guess not.
    Hey, maybe it's really, really far away, so you have to have the special reward from beating the Queen to have a chance of hitting it! That's the kind of BS I could almost respect, but no.

Fine, I'll break down and check a guide ARE YOU KIDDING ME on the oar statues?! That's not part of that area!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh I definitely used a guide for a couple of them. I'm just saying it's not as bad as having to walk through every area of the whole game checking every spot on a walkthrough.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There were a couple just chilling in sunny spots and I could barely make them out even when I knew where they were so I doubt I’d have found them without a guide.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I only realized they had the audio cue about 2/3rds through the game. Just finally managed to make the mental association of "that weird noise" and spotting a bird soon after. It's especially bad because there's regular ravens around who make a completely different noise.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    l1E9Ea6.jpg

• Options
    Got the Platinum last night, just a great game top to bottom (minus the collectible thing I was bitching about earlier, which wasnt enough to spoil the experience). Probably the best AAA game I've played since... I dunno uncharted 2?

• Options
    Any tips on the final Valkyrie fight? I spent 10 minutes fighting her and only got her to 50% health.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Any tips on the final Valkyrie fight? I spent 10 minutes fighting her and only got her to 50% health.

Level to 9 (mandatory)

turn the difficulty to easy (optional)

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Bought this game and a ps4 last night. Good lord, give me God of War is some shit. Took an hour to get through the first fight. Got real good at hurling that axe. It's fun.

My big complaint so far is the ps4 itself. Don't know if it's this game or if this is a normal thing, but it's so loud when I reload a checkpoint. It sounds like a jet taking off.

• Options
    glithert wrote: »
    Bought this game and a ps4 last night. Good lord, give me God of War is some shit. Took an hour to get through the first fight. Got real good at hurling that axe. It's fun.

My big complaint so far is the ps4 itself. Don't know if it's this game or if this is a normal thing, but it's so loud when I reload a checkpoint. It sounds like a jet taking off.

It's the game. The PS4Pro handles it a bit better and is thus quieter, but God of War clearly taxes the system and is tremendously loud.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Oh hey, apparently the new patch lets you use the resurrection stone when you've been killed by that one attack by that optional enemy, you know the one I mean.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    How is this thread not full of photo mode pics?!

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    timhodge wrote: »
    How is this thread not full of photo mode pics?!

Too easy to show spoilers. Give it some time and I imagine they'll appear.

• Options

Make sure you've got full rage going in? All I've got is "if she flies up, pepper her with arrows," because everything she does from up there is bad. Otherwise it's just down to reaction time, since you can't predict her moves when she has such a huge range of things she can do.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options

Make sure you've got full rage going in? All I've got is "if she flies up, pepper her with arrows," because everything she does from up there is bad. Otherwise it's just down to reaction time, since you can't predict her moves when she has such a huge range of things she can do.

Thanks I took her out last night. About 5 tries too, not too bad.

I was going to go for a platinum.... But then i realized that I had 22 ravens left. Even following a guide would take me several hours. Nah I'll tap out now before I get tired of the game.

• Options
    The advice of peppering her with arrows when she goes high is spot on. That attack does so much damage. Also I found out that a runic attack can break her shield. Those two pieces of information helped me kill her.

• Options
    You can apparently just regular-bash her shield open, though I never have space to try it. Does the game ever actually teach you that move? I swear the first time I saw it was in a loading screen tip.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What I did was, went in with full rage meter, chose runic attacks based on fast cool down times, and the berserker stone.

I hit her with all the runic attacks immediately before she got a chance to fly around, and then played defense against the dark arts until all the runics were full again. When I got down to about 1/4 health, hit spartan rage (which doesn’t really do enough damage against valkyries imho but at least you’re invulnerable for a time).

Then once that wore off I’d try and get some more runic bits in if I could before I died, and then once I got rezzed I’d pop Spartan rage again.

Plus the whole time I’d have BOY popping arrows at her as well as his runic attack when it was available. At first I was using Ratatoskr but it takes so long to recharge and doesn’t do any damage to the enemy and 3 rage rocks don’t even fill up one bar completely so I switched it out for murder of crows.

Took about 5-10 tries to finally make it all work together enough to win.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Got the Platinum today, which for me to do is crazy. I usually have game ADD, I get bored with something quick especially if it's open world. Ravens weren't really too bad, after beating the game I only had 9 left to find.

If it wasn't for Witcher 3 this would easily be my favorite PS4 game. 100% is bittersweet though, I now have a Kratos sized hole in my life. At least I'll always have the lasting effect of calling my dog BOY in a gruff voice now.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I made it to the top of the mountain!
    Except it's not the right mountain? But I did get to kill a dragon!

About how far into the game am I?

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

Probably closer to 60%. But it depends on whether or not you're going to do the side quests. (You should)

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I personally preferred the wolves against the Valks because they kept the Valks stunlocked for the duration.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Probably closer to 60%. But it depends on whether or not you're going to do the side quests. (You should)
    Maybe I missed something, but I haven't found any side quests or maybe I don't know where to look? It's been pretty linear so far. I mean I've found a lot of things that appear to be "hooks" for side quests - like the mirror doors and and the black spawn point things (that kill me the instant I touch them) - but nothing that says "go do this thing for an optional reward".

26904.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Maybe I missed something, but I haven't found any side quests or maybe I don't know where to look? It's been pretty linear so far. I mean I've found a lot of things that appear to be "hooks" for side quests - like the mirror doors and and the black spawn point things (that kill me the instant I touch them) - but nothing that says "go do this thing for an optional reward".

You're definitely way earlier than 60% through the game.

Unless I'm remembering wrong... Do you have an additional weapon yet? That's around the halfway point of the campaign.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

All the stuff around the Lake with the spirits and from Brok and his bro.