Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also speaking of EVs, this article basically wonders why people are still buying Civic and Camrys and the like, when a Tesla could have a similar 5-year cost-of-ownership, and is faster, safer and better for the environment.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/22/honda-accord-toyota-camry-buyers-what-the-heck-are-you-doing/

I've heard the Tesla's have some serious fit and finish problems.

I'm waiting for a company that seems to know how to build cars to make a good EV.

Chiming in that we still really like our Niro EV, but they seem to be nigh on impossible to find.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't like Tesla's current front clip.

I honestly might try to pick up a used Chevy Bolt when I'm in the market in a couple years, but I'm sure I'll have better options by then.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    In other EV stuff, Ionity's charging network from last year to this year:

ts1XXJal.png

And also almost 25% of all cars sold in SF in the first half of the year were at least hybrids:

Jragghen on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    So my wife and I were talking about this last night - Why do most cars only come in very muted (boring) colors? Is it that there are no brighter options available when you custom order or is custom ordering just very rare? Do people really worry about resale value so much that they pick these muted colors when maybe they would take something else if it is available?

Most days going to work I feel like I'm driving through a car version of the opening scene of Joe Versus the Volcano.
    b2e41f9d6ecaf200a16a88ea518762d8.jpg

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Well, in my experience, the better colours cost more, and are available on only certain models (I think to justify charging an extra 1k for it)

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    It sure is annoying that Tesla charges $2k extra for red.

I do really like that yellow Honda E though. Hopefully they announce something about releasing it in Japan soon.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Most people are just boring and choose greyscale colors (white, black, grey, and silver are like 75% of the market). So most bold colors outside of red and blue are only available special order if at all. Most people are boring so resale on bold colors is lower. So bold colors never get enough market share for manufacturers to make it a stock color. Repeat the feedback loop.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Depending on climate, dust/dirt/etc show less obviously on neutral colors.

Additionally, depending on climate, color of the car can have a lot to do with heat retention (white was SUPER common in Hawaii when I was there, for example).

That being said, we're there with you. My wife's Honda Fit was bright orange. Made it super easy to find in parking lots, and we kinda miss that :P

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    SiliconStew has it correct.
    I've read articles given by various car company PRs, like Mercedes Benz, Toyota, etc. And people just want to buy shitty muted colors for their shitty muted cars.
    So few people bought Benz cars in red that they don't offer it as an option on almost all of their offerings any more, for instance.

Every once in a while, a cool color comes along, like the Hyper Blue on the Focus RS that is duplicated by various other companies (Subaru, Toyota, Honda), but I don't see those as being a stable of colors because they fade just as quickly as they came into style.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So my wife and I were talking about this last night - Why do most cars only come in very muted (boring) colors? Is it that there are no brighter options available when you custom order or is custom ordering just very rare? Do people really worry about resale value so much that they pick these muted colors when maybe they would take something else if it is available?

Most days going to work I feel like I'm driving through a car version of the opening scene of Joe Versus the Volcano.

I've driven company cars for the last few years. I got to pick the color of the last one and went with "Galactic Aqua", which was a brilliant blue. Loved the color. The car I have now is inherited from somebody else which means that, of course, the unimaginative idiot of a previous driver went with... grey. Ugh.

If and when I go back to owning my own car, getting a not-boring color will be a necessity. There's just no excuse for something that costs upwards of 20k to not have interesting color options.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about buying an M2 for a while and looking at used cars its a lot of white, black, and grey (dark grey, it looks really good in person though), but if I buy it new I can get it in Long Beach Blue Metallic which is absolutely gorgeous. Or Sunset Orange which I've yet to see on the road or in person, but am tempted by nonetheless.

Toyota has some fun colors out there though, although I dont think they're kind of spread all over the place. To the point where the Supra only has one really impressive color and its a grey/white. I thought they had a really nice red on the Prius lineup, but I dont see it on their website.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Speaking of colors, the Cappuccino needs some paint. Trying to decide between yellow or blue. It's red now. Or maybe I can teach myself how to wrap and crazy.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Yeah, the more expensive the car gets the less colour they get (until supercar level maybe), it seems. All the fun colours are in the A-segment, Ka, Twingo, 500, Aygo.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Sell me the car unpainted for cheaper so I can save a bit on labor when I take it to get the iridescent deep blue to purple transition with silver fleck that I want anyhow, please.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    FCA has actually been pretty good about color options. Wranglers and Charger/Challenger especially have some great colors.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Speaking of colors, the Cappuccino needs some paint. Trying to decide between yellow or blue. It's red now. Or maybe I can teach myself how to wrap and crazy.

Go with the blue, I've literally never seen a Cappuccino in that colour before, and I've seen dozens of yellow and red ones.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    a nu start wrote: »

Go with the blue, I've literally never seen a Cappuccino in that colour before, and I've seen dozens of yellow and red ones.

They really suit all of those colours. But yeah, the blue is a bit special. Really digging that.

Gods, that is a gorgeous car.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Yeah, the more expensive the car gets the less colour they get (until supercar level maybe), it seems. All the fun colours are in the A-segment, Ka, Twingo, 500, Aygo.

I think that may depend on the kind of car?

I've only bought two cars new - 2009 Impreza, which I got the base 2.5i model and the colour selection was pretty dismal. To get red or blue you had to go up to the sport version. To get the classic Subaru blue you had to go up to the WRX. For the Q60, there were several striking colours. I was going to get blue, but ended up with a brilliant red that people comment on all the time.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Sadly most people do seem to be that boring. When I bought my Stinger it was one of only 2 blue ones the dealership had gotten. I think they only got one red one. There were like 5 or 6 black ones.

Additionally when you move up into the luxury segment, about half the cars there are leased so the BMW/Mercedes/etc dealerships absolutely are concerned about resale value.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Sometimes a little extra for the rarer colors is worth it.

uu20kkqz9a2m.png

Nine months later I'm still enthralled by it honestly.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I drive an old NYC taxi and i love its school bus yellow paintjob. Ive had dozens of random conversations about the car because of how it stands out, and its just a crown vic.

Also i never lose it in a parking lot, unlike my wifes silver elantra GT.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Public transportation in LA is uh...not good.

It's real good if you are specifically going somewhere it goes.

(no one is going where it goes)

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh, oh, is this the car thread?

I'm on the cusp of putting in an order for a Tesla Model 3, long range, with full autopilot package. My 3-4 hour daily commute is stressing me the hell out every single day and I need to be able to just relax a bit. Plus that HOV sticker will help cut my commute a decent amount. I'm doing a trade-in on a 2017 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T with a KBB of 22k, and hoping to get 18-20k for it.

Any Tesla owners here?
    do..do you hate yourself? :confused:

No.. I love myself...
    vnuid8644vs8.png

But seriously, I live in the LA area. My office is 29 miles away, and without traffic it would take me 35-40 minutes to get to it, but with traffic it's about 1.5-2 hours each way every day.

The trick it to get them to let you go in super early and leave super early.

Also 29miles is a long ass commute in LA.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In "Why?" news, someone Frankenstein'd together a stretch Ford Festiva.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

The real question is, "why not?"

And what to make of it is that it's awesome. :)

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

First comment:

"Sid from Toy Story 3 grew up"

ZING

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Look at this garbage that is being taught to my daughter in her Things That Go book. I had to make corrections.

di6py80qkff3.jpg

l8sykwf2qx51.jpg

• Options
    You should write a strongly worded letter to the publishers.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    You should write a strongly worded letter to the publishers.

Like, I could maybe forgive the f1 mixup, but Jesus how do mistake a Peugeot for a stock car!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Tesla brings us a new innovation in automotive engineering - the self-bricking car:
    The issue, which was first brought to light by InsideEVs, appears to not only be preventing the screen from turning on, but also won’t let the car charge. It’s more or less a worse case scenario for someone who owns such a digitally-reliant car.

Here’s more detail from Business Insider:
    The issue concerns a flash storage chip, called the eMMC, that’s embedded on a piece of onboard technology called the MCU1. Flash storage is form of computer memory that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed to help a computer perform tasks quickly and efficiently. It is often used in computers, USB drives, digital cameras, and networking hardware. According to multiple repair professionals, Teslas are writing vehicle logs to this flash storage chip so frequently that the chip stops working properly.

Short version: Flash memory has limits to how often it can be written to. Because Tesla logs ALL THE THINGS, the flash memory in early models are hitting their max write capacity, and failing - which just so happens to brick the car.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    So the "If Microsoft made cars" joke has become real then.

https://www.hcs.harvard.edu/pnw/microsoftjoke.htm

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Look at this garbage that is being taught to my daughter in her Things That Go book. I had to make corrections.

di6py80qkff3.jpg

l8sykwf2qx51.jpg

You know they grabbed an European book and translated it to American.

• Options
    So the "If Microsoft made cars" joke has become real then.

https://www.hcs.harvard.edu/pnw/microsoftjoke.htm

Well, what were you expecting when a tech company makes a car?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Tesla brings us a new innovation in automotive engineering - the self-bricking car:
    The issue, which was first brought to light by InsideEVs, appears to not only be preventing the screen from turning on, but also won’t let the car charge. It’s more or less a worse case scenario for someone who owns such a digitally-reliant car.

The issue concerns a flash storage chip, called the eMMC, that’s embedded on a piece of onboard technology called the MCU1. Flash storage is form of computer memory that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed to help a computer perform tasks quickly and efficiently. It is often used in computers, USB drives, digital cameras, and networking hardware. According to multiple repair professionals, Teslas are writing vehicle logs to this flash storage chip so frequently that the chip stops working properly.

Short version: Flash memory has limits to how often it can be written to. Because Tesla logs ALL THE THINGS, the flash memory in early models are hitting their max write capacity, and failing - which just so happens to brick the car.

Rich Rebuilds did a thing on that, apparently it's great if you want to sit down and parse through all the things to figure out how different systems in the car work.

Seal on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

How the fuck can they not know this at the design stage? I'm not a programmer or an engineer and I still fucking knowing that one of the limitations of flash memory is a has a read/write limit.

• Options

How the fuck can they not know this at the design stage? I'm not a programmer or an engineer and I still fucking knowing that one of the limitations of flash memory is a has a read/write limit.

The suspicion is that they planned for a much lower level of logging, then a programmer later came in and decided to LOG ALL THE THINGS not caring about the hardware.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    There is a semi-famous thread on SA where a supposed former developer from Tesla starts talking about the horrible engineering decisions made there. He/she worked there back in 2015 so hopefully they have improved quite a bit.
    Look at the posts from "fart-powered cars"
    https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862643&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=62#post487296229

If this is to be believed it sounds like everything was written at break neck pace and held together with spit and twine because no one had time to do it right or make it maintainable. In software sometimes a person will quickly write a proof of concept that has no real concerns for security, maintainability, stability, etc. Then suddenly someone comes along and just shoves it in production without giving people the time to turn it from "proof of concept" into something that is meant to be run in the real world. A manager will usually say "oh we will give you time next release to fix those things" and then they never do give you that time.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    I think you missppeled typically for sometimes.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    For the first time in my life I bought a car that wasn't a beater last year, a 2018 Honda Fit.

Lately I've had to drive a ton for medical appointments. It's averaging 37.4 MPG. I've never cared about a car until now.

• Options
    Alternator warning came up on my XF.

The word "fuck" may have crossed my mind and/or lips.