As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NSFDATA] Look at my dog, and other people's dogs, and their cats and stuff [pets]

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Yesterday were Vivi and Moogle's annual check-ups at the vet. Both of them got Rabies vaccination updates, but as Vivi is 5 years old now, the vet recommended we draw some blood and set that as the new baseline, then do it again when she's 10.

Moogle handles being in the carrier fairly well, but Vivi gets very upset and froths at the mouth and dribbles in hers. It's was much more rough for her this time than ever before, on top of the nurses having to try to draw blood twice from different legs because the first time was unsuccessful.

About a couple of hours after getting home and letting them hide in their own safety places for a while, we brought out some treats and they came into the room, but then Moogle (the younger) hissed at Vivi for a bit. She did it all day whenever they were close to one another and she did it a bit this morning. Not sure what's up with that. They aren't close buddies all the time, but they can always handle being in the same room even 3 feet apart from one another with no issue.

Mr. Fantastico thinks it's because there's a lingering alcohol smell from where they wiped Vivi's back legs from the puncture wounds. I tried to clean her up with a couple of non-scented wet wipes to see if it would neutralize any strange scents, but Moogle's still hissing occasionally at her.

I'm going to let them sort it out for another day, but I'm really not sure what the change in behaviour is about.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I hope Moogle settles down soon!

Sugar, our non-people cat, occasionally walks around the house dragging leaves/paper/toy mice around and mewing pitifully. This is a habit she’s had in the whole 7 years we have had her.

Today I come home to this...

2019-03-18%2017.37.41.jpg

I locked up the house this morning and I definitely did not leave paper towels all down the stairs!

Also, her face markings always make it look as if she’s smiling, which you can see here!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    here is Selena, pretending to be good and patient because it is dinner time
    v4vm0cdcgqr6.jpg

Shorty on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I hope Moogle settles down soon!

Moogle seems fine now. When I got home from work, I caught her sniffing at Vivi's tail and butt a few times, and no hissing. I think she still detected a little something of what was bothering her before, but it might be so faint now that it's not enough to upset her. This morning when they got wet food together, it was like nothing happened the last 48 hours. She was back to her old self.
    Sugar, our non-people cat, occasionally walks around the house dragging leaves/paper/toy mice around and mewing pitifully. This is a habit she’s had in the whole 7 years we have had her.

Vivi does this, too. She'll find a little catnip knot or mouse and attack it, then meow and carry it around in her mouth like a victory kill.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Gaston's bed etiquette is extremely bad. He farts big. He wants to sleep on me, and me alone, and he is very heavy. He like to wake up in the middle of the night, stand up and be like "hey, what's up", before dropping his elbow on a new part of my anatomy.

On the other hand I woke up today with him guarding my right foot intensely between his paws so maybe it's good.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Zig knows the feels.

D2Fm7IaUgAEG7BQ.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    big dogs always think they're lap dogs it's the best

120 lb malamute lap dogs

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @pooka since separating the cat food and water the cats’ water bowls have been emptying much quicker, so thank you! They definitely seem to be drinking more.

I also think at least one of the cats is using the water fountain, as it was down quite a bit, too. :D

Also, we have two litter boxes, one covered and one not. The cats seem to be solely peeing in the non-covered one and solely pooping in the covered one. It’s very funny.

Janson on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Cats: They're Weird as Shit (tm)

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Had a small update on the blind kitten, they’re still trying to find a friend for him. He is VERY active and playful, to the point where the lady I spoke to said she’s been coming in early to play with him because the other two cats at the animal hospital don’t really want to play with him.

He’s also apparently clever enough to climb partway up a ladder she left out, despite being blind.

Anyway I’ll probably call again on Friday, or maybe early next week.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Some good friends of ours just picked up Darcy's future bestie.
    6q6ur3bstv7b.jpg
    7ca0lob9cjlu.jpg
    Meet Harper, the border collie, who Darcy will no doubt outrun for 30 seconds, claim victory, then lay down and watch her run around for the next 2 hours.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    This morning I had an encounter that was both terrifying and adorable.

I was walking Ori and Kya and we were passing a backyard of a notoriously aggressive guard dog, a huge chunky mastiff cross who I’m pretty sure could tear a man in half in no time. Normally he’s kept securely behind a sturdy gate, but something went wrong this morning as the owner was getting ready to leave and the electric gate started opening before he had a chance to secure the dog.

The dog immediately came roaring down the driveway and out the gate towards us, heckles raised. Time kinda stood still for a moment as I looked from the dog to the extremely wide eyed oh fuck expression on the owner’s face, no doubt mirroring my own. There was no way he was going to be able to get to the dog in time. I’m about to lose a dog, I thought. I’m about to lose an arm.

And as it reached us, it abruptly stopped, centimeters from Ori’s face. My girls didn’t even flinch. They stood perfectly still, looking far calmer than I felt. They all stood there for what felt like a thousand years before Kya slowly and gently nosed forward, sniffed the huge boy’s ear and licked him gently on the face. He hesitated for a moment, huffed a little, and then cautiously moved to assume butt-sniffing duties, tail lowering and wagging slightly.

I’ve never seen a man sprint as cautiously as I saw the owner do so in that moment. It was like watching a cartoon character do the sneaking movement except while running as fast as possible. He slowed to a cautious creep as he got near, real fear still clear in his eyes, and slowly took hold of his dog’s collar while looking apologetically to me. “I am so sorry” he quietly said to me, “but you need to go now.”

I slowly and gently eased the girls away. The boy just watched for a moment, before making a sudden movement that made my stomach leap into my brain, before I realised that he was play bowing. The owner and I both let out an extremely nervous chuckle and we walked away, trying to will my organs back into their correct positions.

Good start to a Thursday morning.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yikes!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    yikes!
    thank crap that turned out ok.

• Options
    Yeah I’m attributing the good outcome mainly to Kya’s innate ability to make friends with any living thing.

• Options
    Well, except cats

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Well, except cats

Cats aren't actually living things, so much as they are demons encased in flesh. Kya's just trying to warn you.
    Sure, some of them might act nice, but don't fool yourself, that's still an act. They're just biding their time and waiting for the right moment. If that means a few years of scritches in the mean time, so be it.

• Options
    This cat

Guaranteed, she hops up onto someone’s lap for an hour of chin scritches every evening.

2019-03-21%2000.15.45.jpg

Also, I feel as if I am the favourite of her sister, Sugar. Sugar seems to recognize and respect that I respect her maintain a distance, and she follows me round and favours me with the opportunity for pettings.

Also I feel as if my allergies may be lessening? That, or vacuuming every day and keeping them out of the bedroom really is that effective.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Convinced Stanley to sit still for a few minutes after chasing him around the room because he would not stop chewing everything

d0L13TNl.jpg

He couldn't believe his luck at being allowed on the couch and promptly fell asleep for an hour. Now every time I go to sit he'll bring his blanket over and just stare at me until I set it up for him

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Aww nuts.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Jesus. I dont know what Id have done in that situation. Id probably have punched a dog. Lola is an agressive type of friendly and most dogs seem to put up with it bu
    Convinced Stanley to sit still for a few minutes after chasing him around the room because he would not stop chewing everything

He couldn't believe his luck at being allowed on the couch and promptly fell asleep for an hour. Now every time I go to sit he'll bring his blanket over and just stare at me until I set it up for him

Can he sing Walking on Sunshine yet?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Man there is something genuinely gratifying about spending a few months training a dog out of a bad behavior and then watching them successfully self-regulate. Reo came with a hoooorrrrible habit of walking up to people who are sitting down and pawing them, hard, for attention, sometimes just straight up jumping on them. Now he comes up and I can see him start to put his paw up, realize that's a no-no, and put it back down and just nose them instead.

• Options
    We're having a lot of problems with Gaston pulling on the lead. It's tough because he's so strong, and he's really good at "I can't hear you" bullshit.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    We're having a lot of problems with Gaston pulling on the lead. It's tough because he's so strong, and he's really good at "I can't hear you" bullshit.

Have you tried one of these yet? https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Gentle-Leader-Collar-Training/dp/B00074L4RW. They loop around the base of their snout so that if the dog tries to pull, it causes their head to turn back towards the leash holder, which dogs absolutely hate. They're like horses in that they get really uncomfortable if their head isn't oriented exactly where they're trying to go.

They look a lot more like a restraint than they actually are and they work wonderfully for dogs that pull. Successfully trained Enzo and an old neighbor's dog (who was a nightmare on leash) out of it.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    I think it's next on the list to get him to stop. We have a collar that tightens if he pulls and he doesn't give a fuck about it, he'll cheerfully choke himself out trying to get to something he wants to get to.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, in my experience chokers don't end up working for a lot of folks - dogs have a high enough pain tolerance that they just do exactly what you described.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    I checked with HQ and apparently the leading collar turns him into fucking Houdini

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Yeah, in my experience chokers don't end up working for a lot of folks - dogs have a high enough pain tolerance that they just do exactly what you described.

Yeah Uschi will happily crush his own windpipe if it means getting to chase something fun. He now walks extremely well on the leash, but it's been a long haul with some serious hard work put in, and some of it was probably more about growing out of the idiot-brain puppy stage.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I've heard two plans to help with that.
    The first is to take the dog for a walk, and whenever they get ahead of the leash-holder, change direction. The idea is that they will learn to follow so as to not get yanked around.
    The other idea is basically heel training. Keep treats in your pocket on the side you want the dog to walk on. Every couple of steps, give the dog a treat for staying in its designated position.

Of course, if Berners are as dumb as I've been led to believe, maybe those wouldn't work. But I think they make sense, and maybe they'll help.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    We use the treat technique for heeling when there's no distractions, and do a direction reversal when they start pulling (because in a contest between a treat and a live kangaroo, the treat is going to lose every time).
    It worked well on Usch, and he's 45kg of pure stubbornness. Berners aren't that thick, they just take a little longer to get the hang of complicated ideas, but they pick up stuff fairly quickly if food is involved.

That said, I've yet to completely solve the not-infrequent "I don't want to move at all" issue, or the "actually I'm going home now" phenomenon.

tynic on
  • Options
    Gaston did "I don't want to move" as a puppy (he hated walks) and would roll over and jujitsu grab my arm if I reached for him. We eventually got him to obey a stand command, at which point he'll normally go, and he's now stopped doing it. He apparently does "fuck you I'm going home now" to our room mate when we go away.

I've tried simply stopping if he pulls, with some success. He doesn't seem to draw a clear line between "I'm pulling" and "I'm not getting to go forward like I want" though.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    With the poodles, dad would find a leafy stick and wave it in front of the dogs face when doggo wasn't heeling while he reiterated the command. Worked a treat on them.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lola pulling has been a struggle and she just doesnt want to change. Ive given up on it and am looking into a fenced area for her to run around in.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Our biggest issue walking Darcy is that when she see's another dog in the distance, she locks on to that target and I swear her head does not move a degree away from it until either we reach them and she can have a sniff, or it's clear that our paths aren't going to cross. It is just the most intense stare.

Pretty sure she has freaked a few smaller dog owners out, if not the dogs themselves.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Has @JoeUser been around? Saw this and thought of them.

https://imgur.com/gallery/oo6w8QS

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Ollie and Tucker are enjoying the new, much more spacious apartment.

U1TwNqSl.png

WJLaCfQl.png

• Options
    Hooman... this is how I love you, hooman

2019-03-31%2022.48.15.jpg

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not sure we got a dog, but an ambulant teddy bear instead

Rf09YHsl.jpg

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD YOUR PUPPY
    GIVE ME YOUR PUPPY

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'M BACK TO SCREAM MORE HOLY CRAP YOU HAVE THE CUTEST PUPPY GIVE HIM TO ME

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN