As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy [Cobra Kai] (open spoilers)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Man, the karate fighting needs to stay in the dojo and at tournaments in this show. The only good fight scene was the season 1 lunch room, everything in season 2 and 3 is a boring gymnastics showcase with people getting "hit" in ways that would put them in the fucking hospital and just shrugging it off.

The interesting part of this show is the character interactions, let's have more great dialogue, more introspection and by all means training, but please no more "battles", it's just dull, fucks with my suspension of disbelief when no one is hurt and there are no stakes whatsoever.

Oh, one more nitpick, karate training is a good workout and most classes will spend part of their time just doing actual exercises before any instruction, so how are many of these students still overweight?

I actually was really looking forward to seeing Aisha and some of the other "losers" become more confident in themselves as their classmates react to their transformations from last year but I guess the show doesn't want to actually bother having any of the actors actually work out.

bad post

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Oh, one more nitpick, karate training is a good workout and most classes will spend part of their time just doing actual exercises before any instruction, so how are many of these students still overweight?

Ki accumulation traditionally goes to the belly. Big belly, big Ki.

Also, it depends. Some will not be heavy on the cardio and would do more traditional exercises which are more "weight training" in nature, plus some breathing. So it's not impossible, depending on the time-frame we're looking at (plus how much training per week they attend.)
    Just finished S3
    Really great growth from Johnny there at the end in a lot of ways, you can tell he’s really owning up to his past in a lot of ways he wouldn’t have in season 1 or 2, but its a gradual enough thing that it’s not forced at all.

I noticeably missed Aisha, hopefully they bring her back in a meaningful way. I can see why they wanted her character out of the way to focus on the feud between Sam and Tori since she was the only thing really keeping them from killing each other in season 2, but still.

I like that they give Kreese and Tori sympathetic backstories. Tori and Robbie really do have a point about being scapegoated, and their beefs make sense from their point of view... Its nice to have a bit more depth to the bad guys than just “these guys are bastards, the end.”
    Aisha should've been the one to tell Sam to dial it back the fuck down and not go turning their friends into another gang and go hunting the Cobra Kai people in the laser tag arena, which resulted in a broken arm. She could have been the catalyst that made her mature throughout the season.

But no, and the season is a bit poorer for it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I’ve known football players that could run me under the table and set school records in the weight room that were still 300+Lbs, and not in a bodybuilder way. Thats just not how weight loss works.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Man, the karate fighting needs to stay in the dojo and at tournaments in this show. The only good fight scene was the season 1 lunch room, everything in season 2 and 3 is a boring gymnastics showcase with people getting "hit" in ways that would put them in the fucking hospital and just shrugging it off.

The interesting part of this show is the character interactions, let's have more great dialogue, more introspection and by all means training, but please no more "battles", it's just dull, fucks with my suspension of disbelief when no one is hurt and there are no stakes whatsoever.

I actually was really looking forward to seeing Aisha and some of the other "losers" become more confident in themselves as their classmates react to their transformations from last year but I guess the show doesn't want to actually bother having any of the actors actually work out.

bad post

First, it isn't fat shaming to point out that athletes apparently obsessively committed to their training haven't gotten fit after a year of working out.

Second, even if it was, I'd expect a more constructive critical response than whatever this two word shitposting is supposed to be.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    S3
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there ends up being legal ramifications for the house brawl, especially since Kreese put them up to it and we don’t actually see what happened after. But I also won’t be surprised if they didn’t go to the police, since Daniel likely feels a lot of regret over Robbie. Plus the show just kind of works better without police putting a stop to it.
    Agreed. That kind of thing would be a lot different in the eyes of the law from a 3rd location brawl (which even then its silly that only Tori and Robby saw consequences but that can be explained by richkids). Actually invading someone’s home with the express intent of causing bodily harm though, in front of a dozen witnesses? Sam literally could have pulled a pistol and shot every single one of them dead and been within the law.
    Cue the Cobra Kai's going; we where invited to a party at an unknown house, once we got there, Myagi-Do and Eagle Fang jumped us without provocation. Just like they did at the 3rd location brawl. In fact most of the Myagi-do and Eagle Fang fighters where a big part of that school brawl too!! We where just defending ourselves as our Sensei, retired army captain Kreese told us to!

Also why wasn't there any adult supervision at this party? And didn't Sam previously have a party without adult supervision where there was underage drinking? Oh and Hawk betrayed us and was the one that set it up.

See we are totally innoncent.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I really liked them going back to Japan for Season 2 even if it was just a plot device, but man Daniel just straight up bails at the wrong time. That's my only gripe with him, but it also makes him human I guess.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I really liked them going back to Japan for Season 2 even if it was just a plot device, but man Daniel just straight up bails at the wrong time. That's my only gripe with him, but it also makes him human I guess.

It was a thing with both Johnny and Daniel I noticed in that part of the season; they were both being pulled in two directions.

Johnny was trying to both reconcile with Robby and help Miguel walk, and unfortunately Robby ended up falling through the cracks.

Daniel on the other hand had to both ensure his family’s financial well being and help Sam reconcile her fear, and Sam ended up falling through the cracks, albeit temporarily.

Daniel did get distracted with Okinawa, but he went to Japan for a good enough reason IMO and it ended up working out.

Daniel seems to have much better luck than Johnny, though to be fair, Daniel was sowing his heroic act in Karate Kid 2, so it works for me even if it’s a bit too convenient that Yuna ended up in the international division of the very company he needs to save his business.

Also, Chozen getting some petty revenge and reconciling with Daniel was fun and heartwarming, so I give it a pass.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

bad post

First, it isn't fat shaming to point out that athletes apparently obsessively committed to their training haven't gotten fit after a year of working out.

Second, even if it was, I'd expect a more constructive critical response than whatever this two word shitposting is supposed to be.

Dude, it's a former youtube show based off 80's karate movies. You're apparent need for realism in a show that is absolutely unrealistic is your own issue. It's about the characters, the Karate is just a mechanism.

• Options
    Season 1 was about the characters, Seasons 2 and 3 have entirely too much karate fighting, and I'd rather return to a focus on the characters.

I haven't seen any of these movies, so I'd love if they stopped doing flashbacks and bringing back useless random characters for one episode, too, but I don't bother pointing out those flaws since I realize it's pretty inherent to this thing.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

It's been a while since I saw season two, but I'm pretty certain Aisha's actress actually did lose a noticeable amount of weight between season one and season two (although I agree that it doesn't really matter). I've also heard that the reason she wasn't in season three was because of some kind of problem in her family.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Season 1 was about the characters, Seasons 2 and 3 have entirely too much karate fighting, and I'd rather return to a focus on the characters.

I haven't seen any of these movies, so I'd love if they stopped doing flashbacks and bringing back useless random characters for one episode, too, but I don't bother pointing out those flaws since I realize it's pretty inherent to this thing.

I'm guessing a fair number of those one offs aren't the last we'll see of them

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Why did no one tell me there was a fully-voiced Cobra Kai video game???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoi73Z7_CY

• Options
    Also this season's soundtrack slaps.

https://youtu.be/v-ckD8wzZdE

https://youtu.be/HCdJAHTX5Uo

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

We brought it up a few months back, but no one talks about it because it looks god awful.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

We brought it up a few months back, but no one talks about it because it looks god awful.

Well, yeah, but it also has Ralph Macchio using ice-based powers and depicts Kreese as an eight foot tall M. Bison-type character.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    I was gonna say, Kreese is straight ripping off Bison in that game. That said, the voice acting has Macchio and Zabrak, so that’s kinda cool.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    After finishing the season, I woke up in a cold sweat and started studying for a trig test I took 25 years ago. Fuck, that kid's dad is hardcore about grades.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I started watching season 3 but at first I had a weird bug where the audio for the Recap was playing on a loop after I got into the first episode proper.

Fixed that now.

Glad to see there’s actual immediate fallout from the brawl

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

I mean... the entire SHOW is based off what happened in the movies and how the older characters have progressed over the last 30+ years and what their legacies mean. Like, I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to pick on you, it's just, I'm not sure you really get this show? As much as anything, it's a nostalgia throwback. Some of these cameos from the movies are the entire freaking point. Saying you wish they wouldn't be there is like going to Disneyland and getting annoyed at all the Disney characters from old movies walking around the park.

Even without all that, they aren't useless. They make be Chekov's Guns, but they aren't useless. It's a standard plot device to drive characters forward in other series (See any episode of Star Trek where characters spend half the episode doing flash backs to their past lives (literally in the case of Dax)). The flashbacks help to give context to why those characters are there for folks who haven't seen the Karate Kid movies, and just nice nostalgia shots for those who do.

If you haven't seen the movies, you might want to. I don't remember a lot of 3 at this point, but I can still sit down and watch 1 and 2 (I'm not even THAT old).

• Options
    Welp

Show is definitely accurately portraying how useless school staff is at dealing with bullies and assigning blame from problems.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    knitdan wrote: »
    Welp

Show is definitely accurately portraying how useless school staff is at dealing with bullies and assigning blame from problems.

As someone who frequently had altercations of various stripes in elementary and middle school, I felt very seen with those sequences

EDIT: Now, in fairness, when a martial arts brawl breaks out and leaves several students injured (Almost fatally in 1 case) what's the solution that staff can implement that'll make kids safe, not piss off the rich parents when their rich kid gets punished/isn't catered to by some other kid getting punished, and won't get the school district sued back to the 1880s for negligence? Probably half-assed stuff like what you see in the show that everybody knows isn't going to measurably address the problem, cause the problem is bigger than the school, but they can't say that either or the parents get ticked and started moving the kids out, so

In short, crisis management is a land of contrasts populated by roving teenage karate gangs

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Hydropolo wrote: »

I mean... the entire SHOW is based off what happened in the movies and how the older characters have progressed over the last 30+ years and what their legacies mean. Like, I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to pick on you, it's just, I'm not sure you really get this show? As much as anything, it's a nostalgia throwback. Some of these cameos from the movies are the entire freaking point. Saying you wish they wouldn't be there is like going to Disneyland and getting annoyed at all the Disney characters from old movies walking around the park.

Even without all that, they aren't useless. They make be Chekov's Guns, but they aren't useless. It's a standard plot device to drive characters forward in other series (See any episode of Star Trek where characters spend half the episode doing flash backs to their past lives (literally in the case of Dax)). The flashbacks help to give context to why those characters are there for folks who haven't seen the Karate Kid movies, and just nice nostalgia shots for those who do.

If you haven't seen the movies, you might want to. I don't remember a lot of 3 at this point, but I can still sit down and watch 1 and 2 (I'm not even THAT old).

The first season was great without any nostalgia, the relationship between Johnny and Miguel is fantastic, Johnny's struggles with modern society are endearing and entertaining, it's just a good show that happened to get greenlit on the wave of 80s nostalgia series.

I'm getting less and less interested in the series with every passing season, and I may not watch the fourth, it's straying from the great character dynamics to shove in wrestling quality villainy, heel/face turns and fight scenes; and adding more and more nostalgia bullshit just for the hell of it.

Honestly, Daniel learning secret technique pressure points was silly enough, solving his business problem through deus ex machina cameo was just really disappointing. I was interested to see how the character would get out of this one and oh, I see this trip to Japan was just an excuse for some cameos and nothing happens.

• Options
    Oh man S3ep7
    ”There’s only one animal that can defeat a cobra!”

“A mongoose?”

“No, a real animal! Welcome to Eagle Fang Karate!”

“Eagles don’t have fangs.”

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    This season was full of so many great lines. The one that made us laugh the hardest, I think it was in 7 or 8
    *Johnny knocks random innocent high school kid's tray out of his hand while turning around*

"Sorry kid. Old habit."

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I’m on episode 8 and the city just cancelled the All-Valley Tournament

But there’s a hearing!

I predict Daniel will go up to make a big speech and then realize halfway through that the best thing to do is not fight, thus learning the lesson Chozen was trying to teach him on the trip to Okinawa.

And then Kreise and his goon squad will crash the meeting and try to start another brawl, probably. Maybe Hawk gets some redemption but I doubt it.

Edit: so, i was wrong!

knitdan on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

The first season was great without any nostalgia, the relationship between Johnny and Miguel is fantastic, Johnny's struggles with modern society are endearing and entertaining, it's just a good show that happened to get greenlit on the wave of 80s nostalgia series.

I'm getting less and less interested in the series with every passing season, and I may not watch the fourth, it's straying from the great character dynamics to shove in wrestling quality villainy, heel/face turns and fight scenes; and adding more and more nostalgia bullshit just for the hell of it.

Honestly, Daniel learning secret technique pressure points was silly enough, solving his business problem through deus ex machina cameo was just really disappointing. I was interested to see how the character would get out of this one and oh, I see this trip to Japan was just an excuse for some cameos and nothing happens.

I actually liked the Japan trip. Kumiko was great and the scene with her translating the letters from Miyagi was genuinely touching. The writing really sounded like something Miyagi would have sent. Chozen played the bitter, angry guy but flipped after teaching Daniel some techniques. His demeanor and laughter at the end of their fight was refreshing. He actually changed and is grateful to Daniel. Pretty cool moment.

The girl he saved ending up being a VP of sales was definitely a bit too far fetched though. But it was a nice story element to reinforce the "put some good out into the world" theme. While it might sound cliche, it definitely is something I wish more people would do.

All in all, I can totally get why you might be turned off by the show. For me, it's just a fun adventure. I don't think about it too much. Then again, I grew up in the 80s and the nostalgia hits me hard. I'm also quite easily entertained. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I did not think they would find a way to top the high school brawl in terms of sheer ridiculousness but they did manage

Tori needs to be in a padded room somewhere

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I actually liked the Japan trip. Kumiko was great and the scene with her translating the letters from Miyagi was genuinely touching. The writing really sounded like something Miyagi would have sent. Chozen played the bitter, angry guy but flipped after teaching Daniel some techniques. His demeanor and laughter at the end of their fight was refreshing. He actually changed and is grateful to Daniel. Pretty cool moment.

The girl he saved ending up being a VP of sales was definitely a bit too far fetched though. But it was a nice story element to reinforce the "put some good out into the world" theme. While it might sound cliche, it definitely is something I wish more people would do.

All in all, I can totally get why you might be turned off by the show. For me, it's just a fun adventure. I don't think about it too much. Then again, I grew up in the 80s and the nostalgia hits me hard. I'm also quite easily entertained. :biggrin:

I was a bit sad both Kumiko and Chozen never found anyone and had kids though. I know that's not everyones goal, but would have been nice to see they currently aren't on course to die alone.
    I did not think they would find a way to top the high school brawl in terms of sheer ridiculousness but they did manage

Tori needs to be in a padded room somewhere

Team Tori all the way

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    For someone with 2 jobs and a sick mum and little brother to take care of, Tori sure has a lot of time to get out of the house for karate adventures.

• Options
    So who did Kreese call at the end there? I know it’s his old army buddy but who could it be?

Did I forget about another movie that hasn’t been mined for content yet?

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    So who did Kreese call at the end there? I know it’s his old army buddy but who could it be?

Did I forget about another movie that hasn’t been mined for content yet?
    Terry Silver, from the third movie.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

bad post

You're talking about the producers of the show literally forcing children to lose weight for the fiction of a karate show based on a franchise from the 80s. It's a bad look dude. I don't need these kids to turn into fucking Power Rangers.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I just found out that Captain Turner wasn't Anthony Michael Hall. Huh. Had me fooled, those dudes are dead ringers.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Yeah the show gets silly but I just roll with it. I don't expect it to be very grounded in reality. It's a fantasy world where kids become skilled fighters after a few months of basic karate classes and where every conflict turns into karate fights.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Yeah the show gets silly but I just roll with it. I don't expect it to be very grounded in reality. It's a fantasy world where kids become skilled fighters after a few months of basic karate classes and where every conflict turns into karate fights.

I mean, that’s exactly what happens in the movies too. Daniel trains with Miyagi for less than a school year and defeats opponents who’ve been training for years.

(Not at you,) but as for nostalgia overload in season 3, a reminder that the very first scene in the series is the scene of Johnny and Daniel’s match from the first movie. The first season had several flash and call backs. From Johnny driving drunk and remembering Ali and Daniel beating him and Kreese choking him, to Daniel flashing back to Johnny and the gang beating him up, to the skeleton costume, to Johnny’s version of how the rivalry started.

The first season is absolutely loaded with nostalgia.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The flashbacks provide context, and highlight how similar the current situations are to those that happened 30+ years ago. Some things do remain the same - kids not fitting in, how socioeconomic differences affect relationships, etc.

Not watching the original source material is like watching The Mandalorian but never seeing the Star Wars films. Yeah, the show still works, but you're missing out on a ton of subtext and flavor.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »

I mean, that’s exactly what happens in the movies too. Daniel trains with Miyagi for less than a school year and defeats opponents who’ve been training for years.
    I mean, there is a scene of Daniel doing kicks on his own at home in the pre-Miyagi part of the movie, but yeah... I wouldn't call that training, per se.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Others have discussed the nostalgia part that you couldn't be more wrong about. I agree about the straight villainy characters (but mostly since, as I noted before, the show has spent so much time pointing out that most bad guys are just different perspectives).

Beyond that, if you didn't have great character moments in this season, I don't know what to tell you. Nearly every moment of Johnny and Miguel is STILL just golden. Both Miguels continued understanding (and Hawks new understanding) of "hey, maybe we are the bad guys" is great. Heck, even bringing back the S1 bullies and having them get trained and letting our characters deal with that was great.

Look, if you don't enjoy it, I'm not going to force you to, you just seem to be on a very different show. I don't want to just keep pounding on you about it, so if you still disagree, I'll agree to disagree and let it be. In the end, that's the whole point of these shows, is to enjoy.

• Options
    Johnny and Miguel are still golden, but there's less of them and more old material. I don't see how I can possibly be wrong in my opinion that I don't like "more flashbacks, less new material" but sure whatever. I'd even say the flashbacks are lower quality, the original karate kid stuff was high school drama and ok I get it, "You choose man, live or die?!" - what the fuck...?

We're discussing our feelings towards art there's no need to worry about "pounding away" or whatever, just, y'know, relax and know my criticism of the show isn't an attack on you. It's just kinda sad, I've watched season one a few times now, I really liked it. I have no desire to rewatch any part of season 2 or 3.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Johnny and Miguel are still golden, but there's less of them and more old material. I don't see how I can possibly be wrong in my opinion that I don't like "more flashbacks, less new material" but sure whatever. I'd even say the flashbacks are lower quality, the original karate kid stuff was high school drama and ok I get it, "You choose man, live or die?!" - what the fuck...?

...yet another example of something that would make more sense if you watch the movies.

Watch the movies.