As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TotalBiscuit has passed away.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    RIP TotalBiscuit.

I have mixed feelings about the man the last few years of his life. Not for any of the reasons I've seen listed, so don't try to drag me into that. But as a result I'd had to finally unfollow and unsub from his content.

Now I find myself really missing the good times. His first impressions of Space Marine where he squee'ed over the Heavy Bolter. So many great Cooptional moments. His sessions of Terraria with Cox. The constant amusement his SC2 announcer pack brought to me.

I may have to have a marathon of my favorite TB vids this weekend. Or indulge in the many, many tribute videos I'm sure are going to pop up.

Maybe I'll even have a doctor finger my bum in his memory. I'm actually a little older than he was.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    The constant minimizing of GamerGate in this thread is actually really surprising, I thought what it was and is had been settled around here and that the people who supported it had long left. It's interesting that bringing up the fact TB was a vociferous supporter of the movement is some peoples' last straw.

I don't think there's many people on the forums who actually agree with the underlying toxic and hateful philosophies at the core of the GG movement.

Rather, I think that there's a lot of people who simply aren't aware of just how big and awful the whole GG thing was.

It's very easy to not be aware of how pervasive harassment is when you aren't a member of the groups that are being harassed.

Agreed, but...that’s also a part of the problem and why raising awareness about these issues isn’t as irrelevant as people will sometimes argue.

Oh, I agree.

And I also think that we should make it clear that being made aware of the legitimate problems behind the movement and still downplaying the problems, or ignoring the problems, or even doubling-down and promoting the smokescreen even harder to lend the movement undeserved legitimacy... well, that's the very sin that we're being critical of TotalBiscuit for.

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    There might also be people who are not interested and do not care.

About 99% Being cynical, I know.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I've known two people who lost the fight to cancer; one my grandmother (lung cancer from smoking), and one my then-girlfriend's young half-brother (a childhood brain tumor). My grandmother was in her 70s and lived on the other side of the world, and had done for most of my life, so the loss there was very abstract for me. That kid, on the other hand... watching someone slowly grow more tired until, one day, they're just gone, gives you such a feeling of powerless dread. Especially when it's a young person.

Even then, there's something newly personal about seeing that someone so close to your own age (I'm just turning 30 next month) has died. It's such a solid reference point for how unfinished that life is.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Too bad for them?

I mean, you have people who are apathetic and indifferent and make comments dismissing or downplaying the negative effects of gamer gate and I’m sorry but fuck those people. They don’t have an inherent right to be indifferent/ignorant/apathetic and yet still add their two cents dismissing the situation. If you’re going to insert yourself into the discourse, you don’t get to hide behind “I don’t care.”

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

About 99% Being cynical, I know.

Speaking for "the silent majority" is something the GG community, and so very many other movements driven by toxicity and hate, use to justify shouting down and silencing voices they don't agree with.

So it's really not the best approach to take in this thread.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Dead or alive, unapologetic Gamergators are cowardly pieces of shit who supported targeted harassment campaigns against minorities, mostly women. TB didn't improve my life a bit; supporting Gamergate did real harm to real people.

Polanski doesn't get a "free rape" pass because he made good movies, and TB doesn't get a "not a privileged asshole" pass because he had a lot of youtube subscribers.

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    I've known two people who lost the fight to cancer; one my grandmother (lung cancer from smoking), and one my then-girlfriend's young half-brother (a childhood brain tumor). My grandmother was in her 70s and lived on the other side of the world, and had done for most of my life, so the loss there was very abstract for me. That kid, on the other hand... watching someone slowly grow more tired until, one day, they're just gone, gives you such a feeling of powerless dread. Especially when it's a young person.

Even then, there's something newly personal about seeing that someone so close to your own age (I'm just turning 30 next month) has died. It's such a solid reference point for how unfinished that life is.

Too bad for them?

I mean, you have people who are apathetic and indifferent and make comments dismissing or downplaying the negative effects of gamer gate and I’m sorry but fuck those people. They don’t have an inherent right to be indifferent/ignorant/apathetic and yet still add their two cents dismissing the situation. If you’re going to insert yourself into the discourse, you don’t get to hide behind “I don’t care.”

This is exatly what I loathe with a passion.
    You might not fathom the possibilty that some people just want to talk about video games or mourn a passed person. It has always be fucking politiacal with you silly gooses.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Everything is political. It is impossible to divorce politics from anything, especially culture, and any attempt to do so is in fact a political act in of itself.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I think it's important to remember everything about a person when they've passed away, the good and the bad. If one of the things that people remember you for is your association with an internet hate movement, well...maybe that's something to consider when you choose which causes to champion.

Trying not to talk about the negative things just whitewashes the very real harm that was caused to the groups that were targeted.

I will miss him. His videos were a huge part of my gaming life. I love his podcasts. It was cool to follow his esports team in Starcraft 2. His wife is great and their videos together were really cute. He also had some opinions that I don't agree with and made it hard to be a fan as time went on.

As always...fuck cancer.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    There are a number of people here who take GG seriously, take TBs involvement of it as his approval of sexual harassment and gender inequality. They judge him harshly in that light.

I don't think gamer gate is a subject worth investing thought into because, in my opinion it's just a way for talking heads to make money off of each other. Arguments over TBs involvement on Gamer Gate are, to me, trite. I understand that might not be the case for everyone.

People here looking to talk about John Bain's accomplishments don't want to talk about GG. But remember that this is a generic video game thread and GG was about video games at one point.

I'm not going to condemn people for slinging shit here, hell, that's what TB loved the most.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Too bad for them?

You might not fathom the possibilty that some people just want to talk about video games or mourn a passed person. It has always be fucking politiacal with you silly gooses.

I dunno if I was accidentally quoted in your post or intentionally thrown in as a point of analogy, but to be clear, I'm 100% sympathetic to people who also want to discuss the more problematic elements of this man's illustrious career. You have to take both in hand; in paying our respects to the dead I think it does them a disservice to simplify their lives just so that we can feel better about our mourning a complicated person.

edit: In fact, a number of people have expressed the sentiment that a small part of the shame of his young death is the fact that he never had the chance to come around re: GG. It's a tarnish that, in a more just universe, he'd have real time to meditate on. I feel that and it's something that factors into my own thoughts on his death, because I'm again of a similar age and have stuff that I'm working on about my personal life and my viewpoints that is an ongoing process. The idea of that getting that cut short sucks.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    ‘Opting out’ of politics is itself a political choice. It’s a lot of people who either know someone who was targeted for gamergate harassment or were themselves harassed and it is unreasonable to expect them to ignore a dude’s history of promoting it in any consideration of his legacy.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Too bad for them?

Nothing is stopping you from doing that unless your mourning process or desire to discuss video games involves dictating how other people mourn and react to things. Which is a right you do not have.

If you find it loathesome that people choose to express opinions that fall outside of what you personally want other people to say within a semi-public discussion forum, so be it. But your desires are unrealistic.

Drez on
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Everything is political. It is impossible to divorce politics from anything, especially culture, and any attempt to do so is in fact a political act in of itself.

I'm sure this feels great when you hold the whip. I doubt you'll enjoy it so much when the whip turns on you. That's why we used to have more neutral ground. Now everything is just Total Culture War, all the time.

The GamerGater trying to chase you out of your favorite hobby feels just as morally righteous as the average left wing activist trying to run a GamerGater out of theirs. And you cannot reason on motives. You can only reason on tactics. Either it's to harass people and try to shut down their lives, or it's not. You justify it for one cause, and you'll never convince a competing cause it's not justified for them.

I miss when the most political thing I'd see reading about games was an ongoing series of letters to the editor in Computer Gaming World arguing over whether Shadow Warrior was racist. And not whether Tribe A or Tribe B deserved to be allowed in the industry, community or media, and what measures can be taken to drive them out.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    What fuckin' whip am I holding? I ain't forcing anything on anyone, unlike some who want to dictate the terms of the conversation, here.

Hagiography is not a neutral ground. There is no such thing as 'no politics'

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I'm fully okay with driving gamergaters out of their favorite hobby of harassing woman and minorities.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    That's why we used to have more neutral ground.

What we used to have was a situation where marginalised voices were ignored - this was not better.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    My mother died of cancer 7 years ago. I loved her greatly. She wasn’t perfect. I have admitted as much to myself and others. SHE would have admitted as much because she’s self-aware. Some of these conversations were going on right after she passed, too.

I feel like, to not recognize a human being’s own choices during their life is dishonest and extremely disrespectful to that person. That person, for better or worse, made those choices. And those choices reverberate. And those reverberations are also a part of that person’s life, or at least their legacy.

So this idea that you should have some kind of waiting period on being honest about who a dead person really is or really was is just another scapegoat to shut down discussion on GG. Maybe some people aren’t doing that consciously, but being uncomfortable with being presented with ideas you don’t want to contemplate is pretty much the same damn thing and a problem in and of itself.

Reject and loathe that all you like, but nobody has a right to a “safe space” over stuff like this, especially not the living that can continue to do harm if they don’t learn from the dead’s mistakes.

Drez on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think not caring and speaking out are kind of at odds with each other

Notice how people who don't really care about his death don't engage with the people that do - they only engage with gamergate related statements.

If you don't care about the gamergate stuff, don't respond to it. I'm kind of curious to see what happens if you just let people say their piece and move on.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I'm just saying, you want everything to be political, be careful what you wish for. By making that statement, you pre-suppose you'll win every fight.

You won't.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I'm sure this feels great when you hold the whip. I doubt you'll enjoy it so much when the whip turns on you. That's why we used to have more neutral ground. Now everything is just Total Culture War, all the time.

I don’t think that you’re really following that from the perspective of a lot of people, TB was one of the whip wielders. Not only did he occasionally hold the whip, he supported other men who wanted to wield the whip.

The Culture War has always been present and it has always been violent. It’s just that now, one side is drastically better armed than it was in years past. So when a guy still holding a whip is saying “whoa, put down the whips, let’s not do anything unpleasant” to people with whip-scars on their backs, the general reaction from a certain quarter ranges from a polite “fuck no” to something rather more impolite.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'm just saying, you want everything to be political, be careful what you wish for. By making that statement, you pre-suppose you'll win every fight.

You won't.

Everything is political. Trying to say it’s not is just a way to dismiss voices bringing real grievances about issues. Just because you specifically are not directly affected does not mean everyone gets to have that privilege.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I don’t think that you’re really following that from the perspective of a lot of people, TB was one of the whip wielders. Not only did he occasionally hold the whip, he supported other men who wanted to wield the whip.

The Culture War has always been present and it has always been violent. It’s just that now, one side is drastically better armed than it was in years past. So when a guy still holding a whip is saying “whoa, put down the whips, let’s not do anything unpleasant” to people with whip-scars on their backs, the general reaction from a certain quarter ranges from a polite “fuck no” to something rather more impolite.

Oh I don't question TB occasionally wielded a whip. Everyone with an audience has wielded that audience as a whip, and cried foul when someone else with an audience wielded a larger (or smaller) whip against them. They all do it. No side owns that. Most just think it's ok when they do it, because they are so self evidently morally correct.

Guess what, the other side thinks they are self evidently morally correct as well. Congrats, you two have fun whipping each other. I understand people are into that.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    My mother died of cancer 7 years ago. I loved her greatly. She wasn’t perfect. I have admitted as much to myself and others. SHE would have admitted as much because she’s self-aware. Some of these conversations were going on right after she passed, too.

I feel like, to not recognize a human being’s own choices during their life is dishonest and extremely disrespectful to that person. That person, for better or worse, made those choices. And those choices reverberate. And those reverberations are also a part of that person’s life, or at least their legacy.

I lost a grandmother to cancer and an aunt to cancer. And I know they weren't perfect. But one day after they died I didn't go around interjecting their faults in any conversation I could.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Yes, let's all just be silent and not fight back when someone whips us. That's the message we should spread.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think what Carnavaron said is worth considering: I think he would have loved a memorial to be filled with acerbic controversy

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Yes, let's all just be silent and not fight back when someone whips us. That's the message we should spread.

I mean, that's exactly what you expect the other side to do though, isn't it? You are shocked and appalled when they whip back over your whipping over their parents whipping.

You can't feign moral outrage at being whipped and then whip yourself. You can only resign yourself to the fact that it's whipping all the way down. That whipping is how you accomplish things.

If you don't like that whipping is how you accomplish things, stop it. Or don't. Whatever. I'm not your dad.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Oh I don't question TB occasionally wielded a whip. Everyone with an audience has wielded that audience as a whip, and cried foul when someone else with an audience wielded a larger (or smaller) whip against them. They all do it. No side owns that. Most just think it's ok when they do it, because they are so self evidently morally correct.

Guess what, the other side thinks they are self evidently morally correct as well. Congrats, you two have fun whipping each other. I understand people are into that.

I thought it was self-evident that the people who run targeted harassment campaigns are worse than the people who are the targets of said harassment campaigns.

But your post seem to suggest that they are equally at fault, and that by calling harassers out for harassing them, those who are harassed are inviting the harassment. That's called victim blaming.

• Options
    edited May 2018

I lost a grandmother to cancer and an aunt to cancer. And I know they weren't perfect. But one day after they died I didn't go around interjecting their faults in any conversation I could.

Well, that’s neither a fair description of what I stated about my mother nor what has been going on in this one thread, which is one discussion on TotalBiscuit. I certainly haven’t been hunting down conversations regarding TB and interjecting with my thoughts on his faults.

Doesn’t change my initial point, though, that a person is a sum total of what they had done in their life. It doesn’t matter if they are faults or not - they did what they did, that was who the person is, and If you exclude things you’re not really discussing the person at all, are you? Just some fantasy pretend person that never existed.

Drez on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

I mean, that's exactly what you expect the other side to do though, isn't it? You are shocked and appalled when they whip back over your whipping over their parents whipping.

You can't feign moral outrage at being whipped and then whip yourself. You can only resign yourself to the fact that it's whipping all the way down. That whipping is how you accomplish things.

If you don't like that whipping is how you accomplish things, stop it. Or don't. Whatever. I'm not your dad.

Wait I thought you didn't want us to criticize TB?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    It makes me sad... I will miss him

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Please describe in detail the "whips" being wielded by GG opposers and what makes those whips equivalent to sexual harassment, doxxing, and mass death/rape threats.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think we can probably ditch the commentary on other members of the forum at this juncture.

• Options
    edited May 2018

A flaw in this sort of reasoning is that you're defining all actions by all sides as equatable to one another.

Whipping someone is a violent act. It is an abusive act. It is an act that is associated with unequal power exchanges such as slavery, where the person who is the target of the whipping is at the mercy of the person who is doing the whipping.

You say that "if you don't like that whipping is how you accomplish things, stop it," and yet you have created a rhetorical framework where any response to a whipping is a reciprocal whipping. Which invites, and justifies, any number of further lashings.

Let's just discard the bad metaphors. We're talking about harassment, not whipping. The world does not run on harassment campaigns, and those who are harassed are not as at fault as those who harass them.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    I'm not here to render judgement on his life. As a viewer of the co-optional podcast for the past 2 years, I'm going to miss his grouching and his banter. He was a good straight man to Dodger and Jesse's antics. RIP.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'll miss his video's

My condolences and prayers to the family he left behind.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    He was an asshole, dying of cancer doesn't make him less of an asshole

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Can anyone post a good top 10 (or 5) of his videos? I've always heard good things about his videos but never really had the time to watch them.

Dying from colon cancer really sucks. Folks if you are having issues down there be sure to see your doctor immediately. There is nothing to be embarrassed about! I personally had a colonoscopy done recently (I'm 34, btw) because of issues and they found a pre cancer polyp. Who knows what would have happened if I had waited longer because I was embarrassed.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    urahonky wrote: »
    Can anyone post a good top 10 (or 5) of his videos? I've always heard good things about his videos but never really had the time to watch them.

Dying from colon cancer really sucks. Folks if you are having issues down there be sure to see your doctor immediately. There is nothing to be embarrassed about! I personally had a colonoscopy done recently (I'm 34, btw) because of issues and they found a pre cancer polyp. Who knows what would have happened if I had waited longer because I was embarrassed.

This +1. My oldest brother has had cancer twice. The first was colon cancer. The second was when the cancer spread to his liver. He's doing better now (been cancer free for about 4-5 years or so), but it definitely wasn't easy. He's turning 44 next month.

When in doubt, see a doctor. Catching it early greatly increases the survival rate.

Nightslyr on
This discussion has been closed.