Options

[Marvel]Thread:From Miniscule Arthropods, Murderous Tex-Mex lovers, and Marvelous Captains

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The 2-in-1 Annual was really great but is also pretty handily Zdarsky's final proof of being one of Marvel's best writers. He's done weighty moments in his work before, but pretty much all of his books are couched in a sizable comedic element. This Annual was not only a straight up follow-up/epilogue to Secret Wars and Hickman's F4 run (that explains why Reed and the family let everyone think they're dead) but also has almost no humor in its entire length, instead focusing on an intense Doctor Doom character study. It is genuinely impressive.
    Doom and Ben travel to a universe to track down their Reed, only to find that this world's Doom has freshly killed it's F4. Eventually the Dooms square off in a duel sans armor, with Evil Doom kicking MU Doom's until he grabs something off the Dead Reed and teleport away.
    DVHjIkJ.png?1
    o7CQoY2.jpg
    L4iGSUZ.jpg
    jBhoSBC.jpg
    xvRt5EG.jpg
    PDiRoZS.jpg

It then cuts to immediately after Secret Wars, with Reed revealing that he honestly believes that Doom could be a great, good man if Reed wasn't there, especially with Johnny and Ben to keep him in check. So he decides to put it to the test and thus everyone thinks they're dead.

(2 more pages than usual because it's an extra sized issue)

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Talking about as corporations do, apparently comcast put an all cash offer that was like 20% more than disney's stock one, and would also cover the fine for dropping the other deal.

Disney take the penalty for the deal not going through, not Fox.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Talking about as corporations do, apparently comcast put an all cash offer that was like 20% more than disney's stock one, and would also cover the fine for dropping the other deal.

I don't see why they would, when it would be fox breaching it to go with comcast?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I don't see why they would, when it would be fox breaching it to go with comcast?

As far as I understand, the "fee" is supposed to go to the seller, so Fox wouldn't, at any point, have to pay the fee; because they're the ones selling. Disney is the one trying to make the aquisition, so they're supposed to be the ones liable if it goes to shit.

Disney wouldn't pay the fee if Comcast bought stuff out though, I mispoke. The fee is for if, like, regulators blocked the deal. Not if Fox took their business elsewhere.

I'm not a financier though, so I could be interpreting things wrong.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Not that anyone knows, but what does Comcast planning on doing to make that money back? Make movies one assumes, but good luck with that.

And 20% doesn't seem high enough with taxes being involved now, either. But guess we'll see what happens.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    So I watched the first couple of episodes of Cloak and Dagger. Enjoyed them, and I'm really interested to see where this goes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    edited June 2018

As far as I understand, the "fee" is supposed to go to the seller, so Fox wouldn't, at any point, have to pay the fee; because they're the ones selling. Disney is the one trying to make the aquisition, so they're supposed to be the ones liable if it goes to shit.

Disney wouldn't pay the fee if Comcast bought stuff out though, I mispoke. The fee is for if, like, regulators blocked the deal. Not if Fox took their business elsewhere.

I'm not a financier though, so I could be interpreting things wrong.

The fee I heard was just the standard "Ante up some dough so that our time wasn't completely wasted if you unilaterally back out" thing, and had nothing to do with regulatory hurdles.

EDIT: collateral, that was the word I was looking for

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I was going off of this
    At the November 15th shareholder’s meeting, Fox’s management team recommended dropping Verizon, and in the following days, they met with representatives from Comcast and Disney to discuss prices. Disney floated a new offer $29.54 a share, which would work out to around $52.3 billion for RemainCo, and that they’d be willing to pay a reverse termination fee in the event that the sale was blocked by regulators, at $2.5 billion.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/20/17258454/disney-21st-century-fox-acquisition

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Not that anyone knows, but what does Comcast planning on doing to make that money back? Make movies one assumes, but good luck with that.

And 20% doesn't seem high enough with taxes being involved now, either. But guess we'll see what happens.

Seeing as how net neutrality died, probably screw their customers with new internet and cable packages to recoup the cost, then give themselves raises.

• Options
    I was going off of this
    At the November 15th shareholder’s meeting, Fox’s management team recommended dropping Verizon, and in the following days, they met with representatives from Comcast and Disney to discuss prices. Disney floated a new offer $29.54 a share, which would work out to around $52.3 billion for RemainCo, and that they’d be willing to pay a reverse termination fee in the event that the sale was blocked by regulators, at $2.5 billion.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/20/17258454/disney-21st-century-fox-acquisition

Ah, there are 2 fees. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fox-m-a-comcast/comcast-offers-65-billion-to-lure-fox-from-disney-bid-idUSKBN1J92Z2
    Comcast offered a $2.5 billion reverse termination fee if the deal did not go through, the same as Disney. It also offered to pay Fox’s $1.525 billion breakup fee owed Disney, if Fox went with Comcast.
    The bolded was the one I originally heard of

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah, okay, that explains the confusion.

• Options
    BC is saying that the upcoming, somehow still classified despite coming out next month, X-Book is titled Mr. And Mrs. X and is written by Kelly Thompson

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm betting that somebody gets married in X-Men Gold #30, but it's not Kitty and Colossus.

• Options
    Yeah it's gotta be that at this point because the wedding is a known quantity and has been for months so there is zero reason to keep the book under wraps if it is those two

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Remember that one episode of The Simpsons where Homer got baptized in place of Bart by pushing him out of the way and taking the drop of holy water in his place?

The wedding is gonna be the same. The X-Men's enemies will attack and as the officiant is pronouncing Kitty and Colossus as being married, they'll be jostled out of the way and instead Sabretooth and Professor X will end up being proclaimed as married, or something.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Best outcome would be a resurrected Cyclops and Emma Frost

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    There is no way in which resurrecting Cyclops can be considered a "best" anything.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Did Kid Cyclops ever get involved with one of the Cuckoos?

• Options
    No, but Emma tried to brainwash him for extremely uncomfortable reasons during Secret Empire.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There is no way in which resurrecting Cyclops can be considered a "best" anything.

I say resurrected, but I really mean he appears with utterly no explanation in a tux.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    tumblr_inline_n13gbsOXJs1r455w0.png

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Not even if the first thing he sees is his younger self making our with what appears to be... is that a young, female version of Logan?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

Not even if the first thing he sees is his younger self making our with what appears to be... is that a young, female version of Logan?

I also do not want to see Laura debase herself like that

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Donny Cates is writing a one-shot called Thanos Legacy that will apparently bridge his Thanos Wins story and the Infinity Wars event.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/90029/donny-cates-continues-his-mad-titan-tale-with-thanos-legacy/
    Editor Jordan D. White offers a few insights on what to expect from this massive one-shot: “Donny is cooking up a 20 page story that answers the questions you’re definitely going to have regarding the mind-blowing events of INFINITY WARS PRIME…while Gerry Duggan is writing a story about the connection between Thanos and Requiem. Both shine new lights on the villain of INFINITY WARS and how the story comes from what came before.”

As Duggan explores Thanos’ link to Requiem, Cates returns to answer how the Mad Titan’s journey back from the future in “Thanos Wins” will impact the world-shattering events of INFINITY WARS. And the latter offers an ominous tease of the story to come… “THANOS LEGACY is a kind of thematic sequel to the ‘Thanos Wins’ storyline that Geoff Shaw and I created. It follows the missing time from the end of Thanos’ journey at the end of everything to…well, you’ll see,” explains Cates. “It’s an absolute blast to step back into the Mad Titan’s story and to give voice to my favorite monster again. If you dug ‘Thanos Wins’, this is a story you won’t want to miss! Things are about to get brutal again.”

• Options
    While Duggan is very good

I kind of wish Cates was just writing Infinity Wars

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Cates can write his own cosmic event later!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Hello friends, my wife is looking to read some captain marvel. Reccomendations?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Kelly Sue Deconnik's run.

• Options
    Hello friends, my wife is looking to read some captain marvel. Reccomendations?

Kelly Sue DeConnick's run has been collected in four oversized volumes, starting here: Captain Marvel: Earth's Mightiest Hero Vol. 1

Also check out Ultimates by Al Ewing for a really good team book she's a part of.

• Options
    Just, whatever you do, don't read Civil war 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Just, whatever you do, don't read Civil war 2.

You never know, maybe they like fascists who watch Minority Report and think Tom Cruise ruined it for everyone.

And also Deus Ex Machinas in the literally classical sense, except used so badly Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides would dismiss it as utterly poorly done

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Busiek wrote a great Carol Danvers in his Avengers run.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    The part in Kang Dynasty when Carol single-handedly destroys Kang's battlestation is such a good moment. I went on a bit of a dive through Carol's history on Marvel Unlimited a while ago, and I'd rank that as one of the best moments she's ever had as a character, up there with the time she reignited the Sun in Operation Galactic Storm and the time in Secret Invasion where she single-handedly fought off an army of Skrulls.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Not a knock on Dwyer and the other fill-in artists, but it is borderline criminal that Alan Davis did not draw the entire "Kang Dynasty" storyline.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    What on Earth are those things that Cable is toting on that cover there? If they were supposed to be guns, they're the worst attempts at guns I've ever seen Liefeld draw, and that's really saying something.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure those aren't the worst guns Liefeld has drawn; maybe top 5 though.

The "barrels" are straight, at least. Can't say the same for Shatterstar's swords.

• Options
    Cable's right hand is possible more fucked up than any feet

• Options
    Liefeld stuff is great in that it's a veritable Where's Waldo of malformed anatomical horrors that just keeps giving.

This discussion has been closed.