Options

[Marvel]Thread:From Miniscule Arthropods, Murderous Tex-Mex lovers, and Marvelous Captains

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Comic books are so dumb and I love them so much.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    that is the fucking best, oh my god

how in the world can you even get mad at that

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    that is the fucking best, oh my god

how in the world can you even get mad at that

Life finds a way

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I remember no less than 3 different fantastic four issues with Sue and Namor making out on the cover, with it being a dream or a clone or nothing whatsoever in the actual story.
    htvur7wuzho2.jpg

qEQ117I.jpg

(FYI: that was Teen Scott)

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm still disappointed that never happened.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Would've given Teen Scott something interesting to do, instead of the whole "I think my future self is Hitler for trying to stop genocide. Nazis? whatever" thing

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I'm still disappointed that never happened.

Didn't he make a move and she brushed him off?

• Options
    Adult Wolverine and Adult Cyclops walking in on Teen Wolverine and Teen Cyclops making out would have been one of the best moments to ever happen in comics.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The shading is really weird on that. Is it just painted over poser models?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Spoit wrote: »

I didn't see what you meant until I looked at the faces but yeah that's a bit odd looking

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Almost certainly

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Brandon Peterson has done that a couple of times. Just look at his War of Kings covers, it's probably the most obvious there.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Gurihiru is so good!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I like Gurihiru a whole bunch but what I read of the first volume didn't land for me at all and for some reason having their teen girl book which is all about girl power and literally has a science team named G.I.R.L. written by a dude has rubbed me the wrong way

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I literally shouted, out loud, "OH FUCK YOU" when I saw
    cosmic Phoenix Wolverine

Damned if I don't want to know the story behind it though.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Re:that Thor spoiler
    What if that’s why he’s alive?
    What if that’s why he has hot claws?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Adult Wolverine and Adult Cyclops walking in on Teen Wolverine and Teen Cyclops making out would have been one of the best moments to ever happen in comics.

It could have even been a running gag. Every so often just a panel of Adult Wolverine and Adult Cyclops still standing dumbfounded by whatever room they first saw it in. Even months later.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I mean you could have just about anyone that knew those two walk in on this and get a good reaction, but I'd like to throw Emma or adult Jean into the mix.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

I mean you could have just about anyone that knew those two walk in on this and get a good reaction, but I'd like to throw Emma or adult Jean into the mix.

Each new issue just more and more dumbfounded people are just standing in the background.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular

Each new issue just more and more dumbfounded people are just standing in the background.

and Bendis would have been perfect to write a 20 page issue with just people walking by the door going "wut"

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options

and Bendis would have been perfect to write a 20 page issue with just people walking by the door going "wut"
    Oh, actually Bendis did write a script like that and I have an exclusive excerpt from it. Here, check it out:
    "Wait, is that who I think it is?"
    "Do you think it's Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine?"
    "I think it's Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine."
    "It is Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine."
    "It is Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine?!"
    "It is Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine!"
    It goes on for another two pages like that.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Oh, actually Bendis did write a script like that and I have an exclusive excerpt from it. Here, check it out:
    "Wait, is that who I think it is?"
    "Do you think it's Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine?"
    "I think it's Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine."
    "It is Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine."
    "It is Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine?!"
    "It is Young Cyclops and Young Wolverine!"
    It goes on for another two pages like that.

only two pages? Wow, Bendis is getting better!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    It was a rough draft outline.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So all snarkiness about that aside, the actual issue about that wasn't bad, and ends with Teen Cyclops and Laura hugging, with Cyclops at a loss to do to comfort Laura so he hugs her. While she isn't comfortable with him and asks for him to stop, which he does, it does build up a nice little arc for the both of them where they bond over the fact that both of them have really shitty childhoods (in different ways) and difficulty relating to people. The issue after that ends with Laura collapsing in his arms and crying over the shit she had went through in the recent story.

twrnub8rk9v0.png

Later on, once Cyclops finds his father is still alive, and the roles are reversed:

uo4ako33x3rt.png

raywslba0fa1.png

There are many missteps that Bendis had in that run, and that cover is very misleading, but I thought he actually handled the teen Cyclops and Laura friendship very well. We don't think about it much, but having those two interact was a great twist on the Cyclops and Wolverine rivalry.

• Options
    When they knew what to do with the O5, they generally did alright.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    And now Marvel is apparently un-cancelling Iceman too:

https://news.marvel.com/comics/89958/iceman-returns-this-september/
    Following the groundbreaking 2017 series beloved by readers and critics alike, Bobby Drake is set to make his ongoing solo series return on September 12! Written by Sina Grace with art by Nathan Stockman, the new series kicks off a reenergized chapter in the life and times of the mutant hero.

It’s good timing too, because someone is hunting the Morlocks for sport. And it’s up to Bobby Drake to prevent another potential Mutant Massacre. But who’s behind this horrific hunt? You wouldn’t believe it if we told you! Guest-starring Bishop, get ready for more ICEMAN!

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I still dunno where Exiles is going but in this pirate themed issue, our stalwart heroes have a swashbuckling battle with
    The Juggernautical

*Chef kiss*

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I am incredibly sad the book isn't called Big Thor

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

Following the groundbreaking 2017 series beloved by readers and critics alike, Bobby Drake is set to make his ongoing solo series return on September 12! Written by Sina Grace with art by Nathan Stockman, the new series kicks off a reenergized chapter in the life and times of the mutant hero.

It’s good timing too, because someone is hunting the Morlocks for sport. And it’s up to Bobby Drake to prevent another potential Mutant Massacre. But who’s behind this horrific hunt? You wouldn’t believe it if we told you! Guest-starring Bishop, get ready for more ICEMAN!

I don’t understand. Why cancel it for 6 months to bring it back?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

I don’t understand. Why cancel it for 6 months to bring it back?

That's about how long characters usually stay dead, why not books?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The official marketing on Twitter are portraying it as a LISTENING TO THE FANS move and quoting various reviews of the books

It reads, to me at least, like a pretty blatant PR move by Cebulski trying to paint the abrupt cancellations of a lot of their female and minority titles as holdovers from Alonso's tenure

Which, hey, it's a good thing the books are back but selling it as a YOUR VOICES HAVE BEEN HEARD move when it's largely the same people who cancelled them in the first place is a little iffy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    But anyways if they're bringing short lived books back, give me Zdarsky/Anka Star-Lord and Loveness/Perez Nova please

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The most likely explanation I think is just that the trades sold better than they expected, and maybe Cebulski is more open to resurrecting series that sell well in trade.

• Options
    I mean even then it's largely the same people in charge who cancelled the books before they could even have a trade out so I don't see much of a difference?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    While I’m not complaining because bringing back a well-regarded book with an LGBT lead is a good thing boy it sure is a funny coincidence that they brought it back during Pride month

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i will simultaneously take the win and still never give the corporation any credit/goodwill/benefit of the doubt

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Yeah, I'm glad the book is coming back, but Marvel is only doing it for its own sake (as corporations do)

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Talking about as corporations do, apparently comcast put an all cash offer that was like 20% more than disney's stock one, and would also cover the fine for dropping the other deal.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.