As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yes, the Persona Thread is the means by which all is revealed - P4G now on PC!

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    In P5 specifically it also sucked that even ‘catching’ a new persona wouldn’t count unless you added them to your current active roster.

So if you went through all the dialogue rock/paper/scissors to convince them to join you, but if you don’t like their move set, they basically need to take up space

EDIT: Not to mention that none of its info is saved, so you can beat up a Persona, convince it to join you, see its moveset and weaknesses, but unless you exit the fight with it in your active party, none of that info gets saved and will be unknown if you come across it again.

you can just release them after you get them...

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Yeah SP recovery (or rather, the money for it) is the main issue. Made good progress on my first attempt, got to the floor where Yukiko is, but I was too low on everything to continue. Also fusing is...a lot to take in

A few tips for lower-cost SP recovery (in spoilers in case you don't want em):
    1. Buy out the stock of TaP sodas by the item shop vending machine and clean out any soda at the lottery vending machine at the far end of the shopping district every week (resets monday). 75+ SP worth of items for 1200 yen.
    2. Buy out the vegetable seller's soul tomatoes if they're available. They're at Junes, 800 yen for 60 sp worth.
    3. Yukiko's castle 1st floor farming. This will be tedious, but it's extremely low risk with enemies you can kill off by just hitting the rush button. This floor is small, has 4 treasure chests, and there's a very limited set of drops from them that includes soul drops and snuff soul.

Once Yukiko's in your party, the SP problem becomes a little more manageable. She has naturally high SP and has healing spells and fire spells, so a little bit of the burden is taken off the MC.
    In P5 specifically it also sucked that even ‘catching’ a new persona wouldn’t count unless you added them to your current active roster.

So if you went through all the dialogue rock/paper/scissors to convince them to join you, but if you don’t like their move set, they basically need to take up space

EDIT: Not to mention that none of its info is saved, so you can beat up a Persona, convince it to join you, see its moveset and weaknesses, but unless you exit the fight with it in your active party, none of that info gets saved and will be unknown if you come across it again.

Check out the GB endurance run for the original way you got personas after battles in the ps2 version of p4. Yikes.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

But you gotta actually accept the persona into your heart in order for it to register in your compendium if it’s a new one. That means releasing a persona you’ve already got, which you may not want to do. Especially early on when you only have like 6 persona slots.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

But you gotta actually accept the persona into your heart in order for it to register in your compendium if it’s a new one. That means releasing a persona you’ve already got, which you may not want to do. Especially early on when you only have like 6 persona slots.

This why you ABF so you have those open slots. Register them in the compendium, fuse 'em up, go get new ones, repeat.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

This why you ABF so you have those open slots. Register them in the compendium, fuse 'em up, go get new ones, repeat.

This sucks if you're trying to finish a palace in one day though, because there are waaaaay more persona in a palace than you can hold, and constantly going back to the velvet room is lame.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Woof, P4G's hard mode is no joke if it's your first time around. After flaming out somewhere in the fifth floor of the first "real" dungeon, I have basically no SP restoratives left to throw at my next attempt. Now granted, I still have seven days or so until the deadline, so it's not like I couldn't level-grind a bit, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to start over on Normal just to start off on better footing and/or experience the "intended" difficulty level (and not feeling like I'm losing days I could spend on social links / personal development to dungeon crawling).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    what is Persona

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Woof, P4G's hard mode is no joke if it's your first time around. After flaming out somewhere in the fifth floor of the first "real" dungeon, I have basically no SP restoratives left to throw at my next attempt. Now granted, I still have seven days or so until the deadline, so it's not like I couldn't level-grind a bit, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to start over on Normal just to start off on better footing and/or experience the "intended" difficulty level (and not feeling like I'm losing days I could spend on social links / personal development to dungeon crawling).

It starts hard and then levels off as you get your personas with more elemental coverage/debuffs/buffs/proper resistances and immunities.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    what is Persona

anime

• Options
    ...go on

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    ...go on

Persona 1 & 2 are their own beasts. But from Persona 3 on, the games are about misfit anime teens coming together to confront their personal demons, help their friends (and sometimes save the world), and also balance their social/school lives.

Should I go into the dungeon today, or study for my finals? Should I hang out at the ramen shop with my team member to boost our ability to help each other in combat, or should I try to eat a 20-pound-hamburger to increase my bravery stat?

Also there's JRPG combat. And while it makes up a great deal of the gameplay, it isn't really where the charm resides.

• Options
    ...go on

You go to school and hang out with your friends for a year.

Sometimes hanging out with your friends means killing god.

Also there’s always some awful stuff in the game that you wish wouldn’t be in there.

So, you know. Anime.

• Options
    Should I play a persona

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Play persona 5

Date your teacher to empower your Jojo stand

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    yes

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Should I play a persona

yes

be warned for MAXIMUM anime, and occasionally squicky gender/sexuality stuff, but 3, 4 and 5 are all excellent

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah buy three old pieces of tech and weld them together so you can play 3

Or just play 5, the best one, he confidently states having only played 5

• Options
    play 5R if you want maximum quality of life and style

but the best one is 4, and 4 Golden just came out on Steam

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    play 5R if you want maximum quality of life and style

but the best one is 4, and 4 Golden just came out on Steam

https://youtu.be/3-nGtfpSvTY

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    5R is the most fun to actually fight the fights, and the story has very satisfying (and timely) themes

4/4G have the best party characters

3 has a dog that carries a combat knife in its jaws

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I think 3 is still my favourite story of the games. It certainly has better pacing than the others, and I like the ending a lot. Plus, Knife-Dog.

But mechanics wise it's a bit rough now. No choosing fused abilities, hitting stunned enemies wakes them up, and while I was fine with not having full party control when I played, I can see why it would put people off.

It really needs a remaster/remake with all the QoL changes from 5R, or at least 4G.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I think 3 has a lot of problems but if you look closely you can also see thBABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    I think 3 has a lot of problems but if you look closely you can also see thBABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

♪♪♪♫♫♫

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I would pay full price for Persona 3 FES but with the FeMC from P3P added as an option, The Answer changed to remove the dungeons and just have the story and boss fights, and the fusing and fighting mechanics of P4G.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I wouldn't actually buy it again but they should still do that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Tube I would think you should play 5 Royal because 4 Golden, despite how much I love it, really hasn’t aged super well both mechanically and with some not great plot points and running jokes.

Not that 5 is flawless but it’s a hell of a lot better on that front than 4 is.

Also 5’s soundtrack and style are so great oh my god.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Bear in mind that Persona 4 doesn't so much have a difficulty curve as a difficulty slope. The first two dungeons are the hardest in the game, the last two dungeons are the easiest in the game. Golden makes it even worse by ramping up the player's power in various ways without rebalancing anything.

So Hard will become reasonable if you can push through it, and Normal will start reasonable before becoming trivial.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Tube I would think you should play 5 Royal because 4 Golden, despite how much I love it, really hasn’t aged super well both mechanically and with some not great plot points and running jokes.

Not that 5 is flawless but it’s a hell of a lot better on that front than 4 is.

Also 5’s soundtrack and style are so great oh my god.

Yeah, I'm playing 4G right now, watched a let's play of it years ago but didn't remember a lot of it.
    Dungeon 2/June
    Man that voice they make Troy Baker do for Shadow Kanji really sucks! And it's worse because his performance as regular Kanji is really really good!

• Options
    The only reason starting on any of them other than 5 would make sense is that going backwards is a terrible horrible experience filled with nothing but pain.

I’m trying but other than a few very specific things based on pure preference I can’t think of a single thing that 5 doesn’t do so much better. Which I guess is good because it shows that they can iterate the same formula over time very well, but even going from 5 to 4 completely sucks ass when it actually wants you to play the game.

• Options
    The only reason starting on any of them other than 5 would make sense is that going backwards is a terrible horrible experience filled with nothing but pain.

I’m trying but other than a few very specific things based on pure preference I can’t think of a single thing that 5 doesn’t do so much better. Which I guess is good because it shows that they can iterate the same formula over time very well, but even going from 5 to 4 completely sucks ass when it actually wants you to play the game.

Yeah I played 4 first and then tried to go back to 3. I love 3’s story and the characters ain’t bad but 4 plays so much better than 3 that I still haven’t completely beaten it after multiple partial playthroughs. I always burn out right near the end.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Yeah I played 4 first and then tried to go back to 3. I love 3’s story and the characters ain’t bad but 4 plays so much better than 3 that I still haven’t completely beaten it after multiple partial playthroughs. I always burn out right near the end.

Yeah it's pretty clear that keeping to the same formula and just improving it over time, as opposed to Final Fantasy which prefers varied gameplay mechanics and playstyles with each iteration lends itself to direct comparisons with each sequel, and to their credit they seem to make great strides with each new numbered release.

This makes going forward in the series feel amazing, because you really get a better feel for the improvements, but feels terrible going backwards where even just going back one, feels unplayable.

Javen on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Just play 5

Its like 100 hours, its assuming a lot anyone would want to go back for more

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Javen did you know that in 3 there’s certain situations where your social links can just...reverse and go to zero, and you have to spend time getting them back?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Persona 4 is the worst one in my opinion because it has the most really bad homophobic and transphobic stuff going on in it and the story has aged the worst as well IMO.

Persona 3 has really great themes (both musically and narratively) but it lacks a lot of the QoL stuff that made 4 and 5 less aggravating/more fun to play.

Persona 5 is the newest one and is the one I'd recommend going with for your first one, probably.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Javen did you know that in 3 there’s certain situations where your social links can just...reverse and go to zero, and you have to spend time getting them back?

I did not, but someone mentioned that in 3 you can't even control your own party members and just...what the fuck?

The best thing I can say about their iteration process is hearing about the gameplay differences between 3 and 4, and then experiencing the differences between 4 and 5, makes me potentially very excited for 6 if they continue the upwards slope

EDIT: And honestly the actual battle system isn't even THAT BAD in 4, but once I realized that the dungeons are just the same exact room for a dozen 'floors' got me to pretty much check out immediately

The dev cycle probably isn't great either, considering vanilla P4 was released in 2008 and it very much looks in all respects like a late PS1/early PS2 game that would've come out half a decade earlier.

Javen on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I did not, but someone mentioned that in 3 you can't even control your own party members and just...what the fuck?

The best thing I can say about their iteration process is hearing about the gameplay differences between 3 and 4, and then experiencing the differences between 4 and 5, makes me potentially very excited for 6 if they continue the upwards slope

EDIT: And honestly the actual battle system isn't even THAT BAD in 4, but once I realized that the dungeons are just the same exact room for a dozen 'floors' got me to pretty much check out immediately

The dev cycle probably isn't great either, considering vanilla P4 was released in 2008 and it very much looks in all respects like a late PS1/early PS2 game.

They did make it so you could directly control party members in Persona 3 Portable.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    To its credit, I will say that P4 is much more realistic to an actual high school experience. This is evidenced primarily by the fact that almost everyone you meet is an awkward moron.
    I gave Ryuji so much shit but he’s a fuckin genius compared to some of these clowns. Kanji and Naoto are definitely carrying most of the water to make the rest of the group likable.

Javen on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    P3P is the only version of 3 that lets you control your party members. The others just let set your companions on vaguely defined modes that determine the likelihood they use certain skills.

If you see people joking about Marin Karin its because a certain party member in 3 had a tendency to just spam the shit out of that skill if you left her to her default mode.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    There's a goddamn reason I never, EVER let Mitsuru be in my party when she had Marin Karin learned, yes.

Really hilarious in hindsight how the game with the theme of memento mori, the acceptance of death as an inevitability, really loved to get you killed at the most random of times without any chance to respond.

• Options
    Yeah I played P5 first, going to 4G is a lot harder in a lot of ways. I do really like the side quests in this one more though, P5's are all "go to Mementos and find a boss" while plenty of these require you to interact with people around town or do other activities like fishing and gardening.