As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yes, the Persona Thread is the means by which all is revealed - P4G now on PC!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Persona 3 really had the best soundtrack.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, the P5 Strikers 'Route Secure' (Daredevil is the name of the track) theme is just an absolute fucking BANGER. Just pure condensed hype.

I actually said "Holy shit" out loud when Lyn did her yell.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    The new tracks and remixes in strikers are very good

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I am basically finished with P5S, and my overall take is that it's... fine? It isn't amazing (except the soundtrack), but it's pretty good as an action game and pretty good as more Persona.

I think the one thing that really knocks it down is that there just isn't enough time to relax and hang out with the characters. The emotional beats are all pretty generic, which is fine in a Persona game when you already spent hours hanging with the characters so it pays off better, but falls a lot more flat when you really haven't had as much time to become attached. It doesn't help that
    the game more or less explicitly tells you "oh yeah this is just like the last game's ending"

which makes the comparisons much, much more obvious.

I also think the dungeon structures were a little... weird. They seemed to vary wildly in size and they were (justifiably) inconsistent in their setup in a way that felt like there were some cut elements or shuffling around of the plot; an especially notable part was where they explicitly called out a vent to crawl through in a later dungeon, which screamed "THIS AREA WAS BUILT FOR A VERTICAL SLICE OR MEANT TO BE AN EARLY DUNGEON" after a game of crawling through vents everywhere.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I am basically finished with P5S, and my overall take is that it's... fine? It isn't amazing (except the soundtrack), but it's pretty good as an action game and pretty good as more Persona.
    I'm currently on my Merciless difficulty run, and I'm closing in on the Platinum (just a couple more Treasure demons and maxing out Bonds now). I'll be done with the game once I finish the Merciless run, I think.

It's a "fine" game, and it's certainly the only Musou game to ever hold my attention (I usually hate Dynasty Warriors), and it was cozy to revisit with this family again and to know that they were still friends. I had the same feelings when playing through P4 Dancing All Night and Persona 4 Arena. I wish everything mechanics-wise (outside of the Musou gameplay loop) wasn't just a stripped down version of the mainline games. The Fusion system is both the most forgiving version that they've had and also the simplest. Why do the guns even exist for most of the characters (other than Joker, who has the only interesting Gun combat mechanics, and maybe Haru, who has that grenade launcher)? The cooking system also felt very "bare minimum".
    I think the one thing that really knocks it down is that there just isn't enough time to relax and hang out with the characters. The emotional beats are all pretty generic, which is fine in a Persona game when you already spent hours hanging with the characters so it pays off better, but falls a lot more flat when you really haven't had as much time to become attached.
    Once they took out the time management aspects (other than, like, two RP scenes), it really put the structure of the game on rails. And since there are only two new characters, it ends up with a cursory look at the returning cast, at best.

It was definitely worth my time and money, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But it's definitely "slightly disappointing, but enjoyable, sequel" territory. My hope is that they do the same treatment for some other SMT/Persona games. :) Or have a big-ass crossover with the P3-5 cast. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Guns do P5Original level damage, so they do have some use. Sulukaja'd Fox using his rifle to snipe constant crits does great damage and shield breaking. Skull's charged shotgun blasts are also not bad.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Is P5S entirely linear, or are there things to do other than the current palace? A lot of the Warriors games have side missions with special battles, or the ability to go back to older missions and replay for loot/xp/resources.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    There are requests that will send you back to earlier dungeons, which you can freely pop back to whenever you want

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Is P5S entirely linear, or are there things to do other than the current palace? A lot of the Warriors games have side missions with special battles, or the ability to go back to older missions and replay for loot/xp/resources.
    The story and activities are pretty linear (you don't really get a choice of what to do day-to-day, but then again, all of the game takes place over the span of a little over a month), but starting with a point in the 2nd dungeon, you can go back to earlier dungeons, and they give you missions to fulfill in previous dungeons. The dungeons themselves in the early portions of the game are pretty open-world-y, but the final dungeons are pretty straight-and-narrow.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Guns do P5Original level damage, so they do have some use. Sulukaja'd Fox using his rifle to snipe constant crits does great damage and shield breaking. Skull's charged shotgun blasts are also not bad.

Mona's slingshot hits goddamn everything. It's pretty great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    P5S makes me grouchy cause all the delicious food and talk of delicious food makes me so hungry

Also, way too easy to get 100-0’d cause you missed a cue or got stuck in an attack animation.

But worth it for more time with best girl Makoto and my precious golden retriever of a boy Ryuji

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Fifth jail
    I pumped my fist and shouted when Zenkichi awakened his persona. I didn't know he'd be playable, just figured he was there to move things along, but nope! So fucking cathartic seeing him start kicking ass.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I started playing Persona 4 Golden on my Vita again.

I considered getting it on Steam, but my clear data is on Vita. Transferring a save off of Vita looks pretty hard, but I bet I could find a save to copy pretty easily. But I didn't and now it's May 2.

The 'retry' option that you unlock is pretty silly. It happens when the protagonist dies in a fight. But it doesn't restart the fight. It just revives, fully heals, and removes debuffs on your entire party. Is it limited? I kludged my way through the optional boss at the end of Yukiko's castle thanks to it. I didn't really want to rely on cheese but I didn't have a recent save so I didn't want to test what not retrying meant. The customizable difficulty is great, and should be available at the start of Persona games. I turned my damage down, enemy damage up, and XP and Yen up. That feels right for a new game+

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Fifth jail
    I pumped my fist and shouted when Zenkichi awakened his persona. I didn't know he'd be playable, just figured he was there to move things along, but nope! So fucking cathartic seeing him start kicking ass.
    See, I pretty much figured he would become part of the Shadow Thieves, as the games traditionally have a latecomer join with some weird and overpowered abilities.

But I did NOT expect the persona to be fucking Jean Valjean from Les Miserables. He even has "24601" on a nameplate on his chest! And based on the dialogue prior to his awakening, it seems like it's the MUSICAL version of Jean Valjean, not just the character from the novel. This is so totally my jam.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Fifth jail
    See, I pretty much figured he would become part of the Shadow Thieves, as the games traditionally have a latecomer join with some weird and overpowered abilities.

But I did NOT expect the persona to be fucking Jean Valjean from Les Miserables. He even has "24601" on a nameplate on his chest! And based on the dialogue prior to his awakening, it seems like it's the MUSICAL version of Jean Valjean, not just the character from the novel. This is so totally my jam.

Spoiler for Jail 6
    I liked Sophia's persona a lot too. I mean her getting Pandora makes sense, but I loved how during the awakening it flashes on her visor.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    captaink wrote: »
    I started playing Persona 4 Golden on my Vita again.

I considered getting it on Steam, but my clear data is on Vita. Transferring a save off of Vita looks pretty hard, but I bet I could find a save to copy pretty easily. But I didn't and now it's May 2.

The 'retry' option that you unlock is pretty silly. It happens when the protagonist dies in a fight. But it doesn't restart the fight. It just revives, fully heals, and removes debuffs on your entire party. Is it limited? I kludged my way through the optional boss at the end of Yukiko's castle thanks to it. I didn't really want to rely on cheese but I didn't have a recent save so I didn't want to test what not retrying meant. The customizable difficulty is great, and should be available at the start of Persona games. I turned my damage down, enemy damage up, and XP and Yen up. That feels right for a new game+

Battle Retry is unlimited, no drawbacks. It's like Phoenix Mode, or Narrative Difficulty, for players who don't want any challenge. It's off by default except on the easiest difficulty setting.

TamerBill on
    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Persona awakenings are the best part of Persona.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.esrb.org/ratings/37481/Shin+Megami+Tensei+III+Nocturne+HD+Remaster/

ESRB finally rated the Nocturne remaster, looks like it's finally coming out here soon

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I am playing Persona Q2 on the 3ds, and I have the distinct impression they felt the need to pad this game with dialogue. Does every single character have to have something to say at least three times a floor? With a cast across three games...

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah too much dialogue was one of the reasons I never finished those games.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I’m such a fan of
    Haru being radicalized into a smiling, bubbly ACAB supporter fucking rules.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I’m such a fan of
    Haru being radicalized into a smiling, bubbly ACAB supporter fucking rules.

I'm REALLY loving the Zenkichi scenes, and Haru is a huuuuge part of the why.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Is the FemC being gay based on anything? Like something that happens in the game or the spinoffs? From what I understand, she only dates the guys? I'm not here to attack fanon, just curious if their basis is 100% "I want it," or not.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "wtf gay little _____" is some sort of meme I suspect

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Is the FemC being gay based on anything? Like something that happens in the game or the spinoffs? From what I understand, she only dates the guys? I'm not here to attack fanon, just curious if their basis is 100% "I want it," or not.

Apart from Elizabeth, who is very MC-sexual, I think all her female friendships are platonic.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

She can date both Aegis and Elizabeth, and a few of her other links with girls get kinda subtexty.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    First English screens of SMT3:
    Shin-Megami-Tensei-III-Nocturne-HD-Remaster_2021_03-19-21_002.png
    Shin-Megami-Tensei-III-Nocturne-HD-Remaster_2021_03-19-21_003.png
    Shin-Megami-Tensei-III-Nocturne-HD-Remaster_2021_03-19-21_004.png

Coming to PS4, Switch, and Steam(!) on 5/25.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs5t6ALJFCM

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i hate that font preorder canceled

• Options
    It's my favorite RPG of all time, so there's a lot I'm willing to forgive.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Finished Strikers today.

Jail 7
    FUCK YEAH SOPHIE GET THAT PERSONA!

All in all, happy ending, great stuff. Cried at the end because yet another adventure with those damn kids is over.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Rolled credits on P5 Strikers. Waiting for a bit before doing the post-game stuff to get the Platinum trophy.

What a fun game. I loved doing more stuff with the crew. I loved actually being able to hang out with crew that got shortchanged for screentime in P5R (Haru gets to roll with you the whole time!). I loved the combat once I got the feel for it. I loved that if you brought the right crew into a boss fight, you could trap the boss in a festival of command baton passes, 1 Mores, All Out Attacks, and Showtimes.

But more importantly, what an amazing soundtrack.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Strikers quite a bit, but it gave me a POWERFUL hankering for the real deal Persona experience. Good excuse to finally give Royal a chance!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    new difficulty level 'mericful'

what do you call normal difficulty

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    new difficulty level 'mericful'

what do you call normal difficulty

Normal. As in, normal levels of blood and tears for Megaten.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm actually thankful to the new grinding bonus dlc so I can play the game on Hard where the battles are the most fun, but not have to suffer the massively inflated bullshit compendium and magatama prices (3x) which is just tedium and did nothing but multiply the grind and not the game's difficulty.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I enjoyed Strikers quite a bit, but it gave me a POWERFUL hankering for the real deal Persona experience. Good excuse to finally give Royal a chance!

I want to play Royal so bad. I even bought it on PS4 when it was on sale over the holidays.

But I really don't want to turn on the PS4 anymore. Just give it to me on Steam already.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Jail 5
    Fighting your shadow-self is one of my favorite tropes in video games, period. I literally never get tired of it, and the more that they actually replicate what your character can do and how you act, the better.

What I WOULD have preferred is a much more aggressive fight, with much less health, but you need to do it for ALL the Phantom Thieves so the fight would be roughly the same length, but giving you the chance to fight everyone's copy

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    You know, the city where I live is much smaller than Sapporo, and I haven't run into the mayor by chance even once, let alone twice in a week.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've hit the credits on Strikers, I'm into the post-game. Not sure if there's a "true ending" or anything (and I'm not asking if there is, I'll keeping poking around and see if I feel compelled to stick around)

Overall, I really liked this game. Some great character moments, gameplay that really grew on me (even if I wish there were more gimmick boss fights and fewer "what if a billion HP?" boss fights), an overall thematic thrust that complimented P5 without retreading it. Good shit! It felt like a solid second season of a TV show I was already a fan of.

That said, it's possible to summarize the entire game with one of my favorite Dia Lacina trollish-but-not-NECESSARILY-trolling meme images:
    Enb_KSjXUAInnL7.jpg