As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Looks like there was a lot of videos released yesterday. Most should be available over at the subreddit. Looks like there was one for Fort Tarsis, Colossus gameplay, Interceptor gameplay, Storm gameplay, among others. Looks like most of the gameplay are open world missions.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wht_PaKqRNk

These are the kinds of videos that are standing out to me right now. Our first look at Sniper and Markman rifles, plus a peek into how builds matter in this game. This guy uses the interceptors mobility and speed to stay at distance and wreck stuff with his ranged guns

ObiFett on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm glad to read this thread. I kept seeing a lot of negativity/lack of interest for Anthem and I was like, "are they looking at the same game I am?"

• Options
    edited January 2019
    vamen wrote: »
    I'm glad to read this thread. I kept seeing a lot of negativity/lack of interest for Anthem and I was like, "are they looking at the same game I am?"

I think people are gunshy about Bioware games after the ME:A fiasco and are also rightfully gunshy about anything coming out from EA after things like Battlefront.

It will almost be good if this flies a bit under the radar and pleasantly surprises everyone. I think without the expectations, it can get the praise it deserves from people discovering it being a good game on their own. And game review places wont have to fight the hype when also playing the game.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    We are gonna need to get Alliance(s) aka Clans going for Penny Arcade asap. I've been reading there are good rewards for being in an alliance. Plus without the clan we had going in Destiny and the people I met as a result, I doubt I would have played the game as long as I did. I imagine it will be similar here.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    We are gonna need to get Alliance(s) aka Clans going for Penny Arcade asap. I've been reading there are good rewards for being in an alliance. Plus without the clan we had going in Destiny and the people I met as a result, I doubt I would have played the game as long as I did. I imagine it will be similar here.

Well I'm down for an xbone clan!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I'll be with whatever PS4 clan forms.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I'm glad to see the marksman and sniper having some oomph. In previous gameplay we've seen from the devs I was worried marksman rifles looked kind of weak, but maybe that was early build/bad player.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Or just lower tier than the content they were facing.

One of the devstreams they commented on it being set a bit higher than they'd expected, and neither had a particularly personalized/loaded up loadout, or at least that's what they were falling back on.

I'm sure taking Common weapons into higher difficulty tiers will look unimpressive no matter what. Which is a bit of context we should keep in mind, when a gun blows an enemy in half in 3 shots, is that because the gun/spec/build/etc are that awesome, or because they're playing on Normal difficulty with Grand Master level kits?

It's a thing with a lot of nuance and behind the scenes info we probably won't have in many (or any) of the videos, but with the demo looming, I think that'll be a good time to get a feel for things (while still recognizing that it's Subject To Change by release... and even after release...).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Yeah there are ways that guns can look stronger/weaker. I guess we'll find out soon.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Fellow Xboner here. I'm waiting until after the demo to pull the trigger, but if it's good, I'd love to clan it up.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'll be PC. Do we have a particular Anthem discord server (are those hard to setup?) or just a channel on the main PA discord? And/or is Discord the platform most people would be communicating on (please let there only be one)?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    With most games, like Destiny 2, we just get a room or 3 setup on the main PA Discord, so I assume we'll do the same with this.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I generally play infiltrators first in every ME game. That video has me thinking about going that route. However there is a ton i still don’t know. Are there weapons or ammo that is better at knocking shields down?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I generally play infiltrators first in every ME game. That video has me thinking about going that route. However there is a ton i still don’t know. Are there weapons or ammo that is better at knocking shields down?

It seems like anything elemental takes down shields faster than things that are non-elemental.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I imagine it'll probably be a feature of some guns too? Like drops shields or something? Seems a common thing with any gun based game and shields.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I imagine it'll probably be a feature of some guns too? Like drops shields or something? Seems a common thing with any gun based game and shields.

Guns can have elements on them

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It seems like anything elemental takes down shields faster than things that are non-elemental.

they know what the Destiny fans expect huh

• Options
    I should probably hunt down the PA discord at some point.

Probably while grumbling about now having like a half dozen chat apps on my phone, what is this the fucking 90's, where's my ICQ, etc, etc.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    If elemental damage has a bonus on shields, perhaps Storm + Sniper is the route i’ll go.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

they know what the Destiny fans expect huh
    Borderlands fans, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X5R_5uSZo

sig.gif
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Really starting to look forward to this. I was going to buy it day one anyway, but I got it free with my GPU upgrade...so it's just sitting there in Origin now, taunting me.

I'll be on PC and will definitely be down for clan/group activities from the start.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Has there been any mention of cross-play for PC/Xbone?

• Options

I think it was a not at this point, but I dunno since the game is all PVE.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/tbJW4NiFPs8

IGN has some mission gameplay, what I like though is we get to see a variety of different wild life. I'm glad its not just humanoid enemies we fight.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I want to try the demo out on both PC and PS4 to see which controls I like better before committing. Although I'm sure my fiancee would prefer me getting it on the PC so that she can actually use the tv that I've been hogging with Red Dead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/tbJW4NiFPs8

IGN has some mission gameplay, what I like though is we get to see a variety of different wild life. I'm glad its not just humanoid enemies we fight.

My favourite part of this video is that at one point there's a Colossus fighting an armoured wildlife thing.

He shoots it, 0 damage. So he fires a rocket at it, 0 damage. Then he shoots it some more, a few bits of damage, but mostly 0 damage. Then he just unloads rapidfire, 0 damage. Then finally a shotgun blast, 0 damage, at which point he leaves.

There's no audio of the person playing, but you can just perfectly imagine his thought process throughout the entire thing until "FUCK IT I'm out" at the end.

Characters
  • Options
    I am still amused that either they aren't really showing it or the IGN guys didn't play well or whatever, but they keep not actually using combo damage against these mobs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I liked the Colossus shield charging across the bridge and just knocking all the mobs off.
    I am still amused that either they aren't really showing it or the IGN guys didn't play well or whatever, but they keep not actually using combo damage against these mobs.

To go along with this that boss looked like a pretty obvious add fight and they all almost died because no one was managing the adds.

• Options
    Give me that Colossus super in my veins though. Just busting out the really big gun!

And I too liked the shield bashing across the bridge "fuck you, fuck you and FUCK YOU!"

I will agree with another video person I saw and I hope it got put in past this event (this footage is from like early december as I recall its why its alpha footage when the game comes out in a month) but I hope shotguns got a knockback/oopmh fix. You see the colossus person but one out at a point and it really felt tepid compared to that chain gun.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

To go along with this that boss looked like a pretty obvious add fight and they all almost died because no one was managing the adds.

Yeah, it looked like they got pulled into thinking they could burn it down quick since they all popped their ults in the beginning, but then damage slowed down and the adds got out of control

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I think people are gunshy about Bioware games after the ME:A fiasco and are also rightfully gunshy about anything coming out from EA after things like Battlefront.

It will almost be good if this flies a bit under the radar and pleasantly surprises everyone. I think without the expectations, it can get the praise it deserves from people discovering it being a good game on their own. And game review places wont have to fight the hype when also playing the game.

I think the videos have not necessarily been that impressive. It depends on taste and what you are looking for I guess.

Like, that video at the top with the Sniper Rifle Interceptor. The gunplay in that just looks ... anemic. There's no punch to it. And I've heard that comment from other people who are unsure about the game. You never know till you try it out because it's an alpha and some of this is feel when you play and the like but I also don't think the videos we have are necessarily blowing everyone away.

And then, obviously, sometimes the pay-attention-to-every-new-release crowd gets a 'tude going for whatever random reason too and that's always a thing as well.

I personally like a lot of the ideas here and I loved ME2 and 3's gameplay but I'm still not sold on Anthem given the previews.

shryke on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

I think the videos have not necessarily been that impressive. It depends on taste and what you are looking for I guess.

Like, that video at the top with the Sniper Rifle Interceptor. The gunplay in that just looks ... anemic. There's no punch to it. And I've heard that comment from other people who are unsure about the game. You never know till you try it out because it's an alpha and some of this is feel when you play and the like but I also don't think the videos we have are necessarily blowing everyone away.

And then, obviously, sometimes the pay-attention-to-every-new-release crowd gets a 'tude going for whatever random reason too and that's always a thing as well.

I personally like a lot of the ideas here and I loved ME2 and 3's gameplay but I'm still not sold on Anthem given the previews.

Sure. I bet there's lots of reasons on the micro level why people might not be hyped for Anthem. Some people might not like 3rd person shooters. Some people have commented they disliked the dialogue. People like you aren't impressed by the gun play. Others may dislike flying.

I think in general, though, those micro reasons are more a matter of taste and not necessarily indicative of a greater problem. Anthem has all the makings of a solid AAA game that should and normally would be hyped a bit more than it is. And the macro issues with this release are the reasons for that lack of unbridled hype, imo. People remember ME:A. Bioware burnt a lot of bridges with that buggy mess. People are very wary of EA fucking this up somehow. Because EA's horrible monetization schemes have fucked up nearly all of their recent releases. Those two major meta reasons are the main things i see keeping the greater gaming community in hype-check for this game. And it should.

But if the game doesn't look fun to you, then by all means please don't buy it.

• Options
    And there will be a demo at the end of the month. Try the game don't like it by all means don't buy it. But can you do me a favor if you don't? Please don't come in here and crap on a game you didn't end up picking up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The videos have only solidified my desire to play it. Different strokes for different folks.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Speaking of preload, it's been noted it will be around 30 GB for next week's and the week after's preload.

Characters
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I now think I'll have to split my time between the Storm and Colossus if I get this game. Basically I want to get the most possible explosions, whether that comes from grenade launchers or javelin abilities.

I noticed in one of those videos there's a specific grenade launcher weapon type. I hope that's not restricted only to the Colossus. My favorite part of ME3 multi was playing Human Engineer with the Falcon, and using the knockback from my guns and powers to stunlock groups of enemies. If I can do something similar here, I think I'll be happy.

• Options
    I believe that grenade launchers are classified as heavy and would be colossus only, but I'd have to check.

Characters
  • Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular

Fellow Xboner here. I'm waiting until after the demo to pull the trigger, but if it's good, I'd love to clan it up.

Add one for the xbone team. Pre-ordered it a while back and the more I see and read, the more me-likey

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options

I don't believe there is cross-play or cross-saves for any platforms at release, but they've tweeted that it's something they might work towards post launch.

They specifically call out cross play, but I'm hoping that one will beget the other. Not having to start over just because I want to play with kbam would nice, and being able to choose whether I felt like playing at the desk or from the couch would be awesome.

Also, mini-LAN events at my place. 2 consoles and 1 monitor later, I could run a full team.

This discussion has been closed.