As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've always saw SOTDL pitched as more of a WFRP-like.

Thematically, yeah, but mechanically it's definitely "build a bad-ass character with a lot of special abilities."

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Shadowdancers should be bards

Ballet so hard you become an insubstantial assassin

they originally billed to me as performers but, like, mysterious and quiet performers

I know what you mean, but my brain keeps rebelling and flipping to Mime Artist

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I want to play a clown/mime bard so bad

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Shadow Of The Demon Lord looks good, although a lot of people have issue with the whole demon maggots barfing corruption on you so hard a demon chestbursts out of your stomach.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    guys

the Water Temple has, obviously, canals and waterways going through the rooms through grates and stuff

should I have a Water Elemental fight in the big room with lots of water for it to move around, or several Water Weirds that move through the rooms popping up to grab the Party?

or both?

probably both.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    don't forget a room where you have to fight your evil dark reflections that emerge from a wall of water

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Make your players swim. Nobody memorizes the suffocation and drowning rules. Most systems make them way more generous than they would be IRL, but players always assume the opposite and panic. Make them swim, and make them do shit while they're swimming. Solve puzzles. Fight critters. Navigate in the dark, because they couldn't bring their torches down there, obviously.

On the other hand, the amount of hassle introduced to combat mapping by adding free movement on a Z-Axis is several orders of magnitude. So make them do all that while swimming... but in narrow little tunnels without a lot of vertical room.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    My Thursday night players are so lucky that I'm too lazy to learn more than the most basic use of Roll20. I am so much more of an asshole DM when I'm working with hand drawn maps in person.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    My Thursday night players are so lucky that I'm too lazy to learn more than the most basic use of Roll20. I am so much more of an asshole DM when I'm working with hand drawn maps in person.

having every gnome in that village be a snitch definitely rates somewhere high on my list

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm playing a Lizardperson right now, so I can hold my breath for 15 minutes!

Already came in handy as we were fighting some ghouls that smelled so bad we had to make Con checks or attack at disadvantage. Not really a factor for me.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

having every gnome in that village be a snitch definitely rates somewhere high on my list

well, they have one less gnome and got to witness the death of a saint for their trouble.

all in all, not a bad day.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    fucker killed my rental donkey

I don't feel bad at all about what happened to her

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    seriously, gnome burned our cart, tiefling killed our donkey.

it was a mistake to ever go to that town.

• Options
    Catching your nameless rental donkey in an AoE was really the "now it's personal" moment, wasn't it?

• Options
    I thought I made that very clear

dealing with snitching gnomes, cops, and fungus goblins was already bad enough

but then the fucking dockey bites it for no reason?

oh no, no no no no no

she's not getting away with that

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    and then she gets decapitated by a potential highlander.

really, it worked out well, and we got to keep the horn hold.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I'm reminded of the Guild of Fools and Joculators from Discworld, where comedy is not a laughing matter

A clown would be more like a Cleric, getting boons from their patron god by performing strict routines of battle-clowning to imbue their custard pies and squirty flowers with damage dealing capabilities

Jesters would fit the Bard archetype, with a side of spying and intrigue (you'd be amazed what people will say when they think only the Fool is present)

A mime Bard would be really sinister. He catches your eye and makes a rude gesture, and somehow you take damage? Weird psyonic / illusions but illusions you can't see yet know are there...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    My Lizardfolk barb was cursed with an insatiable hunger for horseflesh a while ago. The curse has since been removed, but he still eats it recreationally.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sometimes as a DM you get to know stuff that's going on in your game that the party doesn't really get.
    Right now my party is traveling with two devils under the effects of alter self, one of the devils doesn't know the other is a devil, mainly because the second devil is also a paladin.

The paladin devil has literally been highlandering his way through thousands of years of being on the material plane. A thing he normally wouldn't be able to do, but he learned how to cheat a magic item for power and became a paladin which he devotes the power of to maintaining his form on the material plane.

The other devil is more recent to the material plane and was trying to manipulate what he thought was just a powerful noble to consume a shit load of souls through land baron plays that would have created parks with art installations that would lay the runes for some pretty foul magics. The second devil figured it out, but wanted to see where this guy was going.

Then a bunch of fuckin demons and slaadi showed up and kinda porked both their plays, so now they are both gonna try to get into the party's good graces before the party's paladin and musketeer fighter kills them. The second devil is totally willing to sell out the first devil cause he loved the whole, "his boss is literally trapped in another inaccessible plane so he doesn't have to do work and can just enjoy being needlessly rich", thing he had going, and this guy seems like a good worker bee type.

I've given three party members visual and auditory clues about one of the devils (his flaming spear and voice), who they've met before, and absolutely want to kill.

There's a very good chance the party paladin and basically leader of the party this adventure kills them both without interrogating any of that, when he figures out they're devils. Cause that's just who he is, though the second devil is an elder and well respected paladin of his order.

Im playing the old paladin very pure to the order as well, somewhat imperious, and seemingly very sure of his righteousness, trying to move some money around the avarician coffers with a parks project all business like then when the fires start up he continued to be down to business and vanquishing foul beasts.

When the paladin player gets back im going to have to be very particular about where the devils stand so as to not get caught by divine sense.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I'm reminded of the Guild of Fools and Joculators from Discworld, where comedy is not a laughing matter

A clown would be more like a Cleric, getting boons from their patron god by performing strict routines of battle-clowning to imbue their custard pies and squirty flowers with damage dealing capabilities

Jesters would fit the Bard archetype, with a side of spying and intrigue (you'd be amazed what people will say when they think only the Fool is present)

A mime Bard would be really sinister. He catches your eye and makes a rude gesture, and somehow you take damage? Weird psyonic / illusions but illusions you can't see yet know are there...

I was thinking more along the lines of tramp style clowning, personally.

It's almost like a drunken master thing, yet more focused on creating fortuitous situations for your allies (or unfortuitous ones for your foes).

I'd probably toss in a bit of Commedia influence as well to keep it vaguely medieval fantasy. Maybe actively switching masks and roles in order to do different things.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I just submitted an article proposal to a fairly prominent D&D website.

I hope they'll let me write about this dumb, dumb game.

Well they haven't gotten back to me, so naturally I should keep submitting different article proposals, right?

I was told perseverance is a virtue.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I'd say so, Zonugal

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    it's come up enough times now in D&D where I'm putting my foot down about a couple of things

1. I will demand more short rests, because our tendency to rush has bit us in the ass without any tangible benefit
    2. if I think a dangerous enemy is remotely capable of being tricky, I will make fucking sure they're dead

tired of getting skunked by this these things

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    In last night's session we started our journey into the desert, looking for a moving city which holds the next powerful artifact we're hunting.

During it we were attacked by a giant scorpion and in six seconds Zook was 50 feet away from it.

Because my rogue has an AC of 13 and FUCK THAT!

Once the creature was dispatched Zook immediately ran up, started stabbing it in the brain, and then chopped off a limb to barbecue it later.

Also, I brought my big bag of Dwarven Forge dungeon-pieces and the DM was so excited to use them he ended the session with tempting us towards a cave out of the way of our actual adventure.

We voted and decided to investigate it and when we came upon it...

Well... Zook asked our Captain America-inspired Fighter to walk in it first.

aladdin-cave-of-wonders-1061121-640x320.jpg

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Catching your nameless rental donkey in an AoE was really the "now it's personal" moment, wasn't it?

I'd imagine the deposit on a rental donkey has to be considerable, given peoples propensity for treating them poorly.
    You think you're getting any of that back when you try to return 600 pounds of smoking donkey meat? They're not going to buy "It was like that when I took it off the lot" for that.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I sure picked a hard pose to try to draw my barbarian in jeeze.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

I'd imagine the deposit on a rental donkey has to be considerable, given peoples propensity for treating them poorly.
    You think you're getting any of that back when you try to return 600 pounds of smoking donkey meat? They're not going to buy "It was like that when I took it off the lot" for that.

In between last week's sessions and tonight's, the Donkey Rental lady has gone from "you find somebody to rent a donkey from, it doesn't cost you much" to a fully statted and combat-ready NPC. Just in case.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I would love some suggestions for items for a Dungeon World Cleric.

He's a former burglar/Robin Hood type, now works for the God of the Downtrodden, the god you pray to when you can't make this month's rent. His holy symbol is money bag that he pulls coins out of to cast spells; the coins then disappear into the arms(???) of his god. He's Neutral.

Slippin' Micky also speaks with the worst Jersey accent.

Anyway, I've been looking through items trying to find some fun stuff in there and they lean heavily on good and holy clerics. There's a couple of good thief style trinkets that would be fun for his roleplaying that I was looking at. I've been trying to gin up some sort of lucky coin for him to find and flip and do some effect but I figured I'd come to the good good folks here who are much better at it than I.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    don't forget a room where you have to fight your evil dark reflections that emerge from a wall of water

this is actually one of the secret treasure rooms in the temple

I also have a room where there's a chest and a Mimic sitting next to each other, and an illusory wall behind that, containing a third chest that is also a Mimic.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

He's a former burglar/Robin Hood type, now works for the God of the Downtrodden, the god you pray to when you can't make this month's rent. His holy symbol is money bag that he pulls coins out of to cast spells; the coins then disappear into the arms(???) of his god. He's Neutral.

Anyway, I've been looking through items trying to find some fun stuff in there and they lean heavily on good and holy clerics. There's a couple of good thief style trinkets that would be fun for his roleplaying that I was looking at. I've been trying to gin up some sort of lucky coin for him to find and flip and do some effect but I figured I'd come to the good good folks here who are much better at it than I.

His holy symbol is his Last Dollar. Whatever he spends it on was really needful.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular

A valuable coin that turns to worthless lead an hour after you spend it on something.

Amulet of Hope. Shines as bright as a candle, but only when there are no other light sources. Light points back towards dungeon entrance, vaguely. Hums reassuringly when clutched, and warms your hand.

Saint's Bones. About the size of a cigar box. Contains mandible + some carpals. Will rattle ominously when a lie is uttered nearby.

A small silver figurine that, when given away, will return to your pocket after 1d6 minutes. The only way to permanently get rid of it is for the recipient to similarly give it away before the 1d6 minutes expire. (Alternatively, the original owner could die.) Yes, this is great for scamming people. Apparent value: 1d100 silver.

(Stole these from http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com.)

Maybe some kind of hypno-coin, like you roll it on your fingers like some people can do, but it casts basically Friends or Charm Person or whatever.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Circlet of Aiyohyew- you may count your promise of future payment as leverage when parleying with anyone who claims land ownership.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Glove of Forgotten Promises. When you wear this glove and shake hands after establishing leverage for parley, after you leave, no one who was there will remember you promised anything if you don't want them to. The nagging sense of obligation remains, however; take -1 ongoing to Parley with them until you fulfill your promise/"do them a nice favor for no reason". On a 6- Parley roll, they remember you promising to do something the glove has made someone forget and will demand assurances right now.

• Options
    it is that time again when i remember i have a bunch of the Dark Eye books and i still want to play it, but not really run it, and can't reasonably expect anyone to even know what it is.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    see317 wrote: »

In between last week's sessions and tonight's, the Donkey Rental lady has gone from "you find somebody to rent a donkey from, it doesn't cost you much" to a fully statted and combat-ready NPC. Just in case.

reminder that this was entirely your doing

I wasn't the one who made this is a necessity

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    only thing i can think about when it comes to donkey rentals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkpyd2lr4dI

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The Shut Up and Sit Down boys played some Keyforge on their stream and instead of figuring out how to put overlays that say their names when the camera switches to close-ups of their hands, they just wrote their names on their hands in with markers.

https://twitch.tv/shutupandsitdown/videos

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It's been really fun watching these guys start to switch over to the whole new style of video that they're doing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    But seriously, the dark eye. anyone here heard of it? played it? want to play it? i think the quick start rules are free, it seems neat, and i have most of the books, but my brain can't run it. i would gladly help someone else run it.

it seems more like a slice of life rpg, and that speaks to me in a way, as much as i like kicking down doors and killing the goblins within, the idea of a game where the problem is the mayor is kind of a jerk, and that's an actual problem both in your day to day life, and you can't just beat everyone up or teleport the mayor to hell, ever, interests me.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Great suggestions, y'all! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.