Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Apparently Trump's chumps are trying to figure out a way to close the borders to everything except trade, because they want to have their racism cake and eat it too.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    it also fucks over Texas 100%
    because there is so much border exchange
    many people live on the border and work in SA and HOU or go from SA and HOU to visit family
    i can't imagine any state on the border supporting a border shutdown

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Apparently Trump's chumps are trying to figure out a way to close the borders to everything except trade, because they want to have their racism cake and eat it too.

So...Mexit?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

So...Mexit?
    First of all, Mexit is when California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington bail on the USA or are re-acquired by Mexico. I'll take either.

Second, no.

Third, I lost it, but a journalist tweeted a quote of Trump answering a question on this matter, and Trump said that "security" is more important than trade RE: closing the border so it sounds like he just wants to stop everything.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

So...Mexit?
    First of all, Mexit is when California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington bail on the USA or are re-acquired by Mexico. I'll take either.

Second, no.

Third, I lost it, but a journalist tweeted a quote of Trump answering a question on this matter, and Trump said that "security" is more important than trade RE: closing the border so it sounds like he just wants to stop everything.

Oregon, Washington, and Idaho would go back to Canada, not Mexico.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

So...Mexit?

Closing the southern border to trade would have Brexit level economic implications. The saving grace would be that they wouldn’t be as hard to reverse.

Its like the English speaking western world decided that trade sanctions on places like Iran and cuba were awesome so why not put them on ourselves too?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Cnn had a headline that if the border was closed the automotive plants would shut down within a week.

This us a dumb idea so I fully expect it to happen.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

So...Mexit?

Second, no.

Ah ha ha, of course they would Billy. Of course they would.
    RickRude wrote: »
    Cnn had a headline that if the border was closed the automotive plants would shut down within a week.

As far as auto production goes are things really on that tight a delivery schedule?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

So...Mexit?

Second, no.

As far as auto production goes are things really on that tight a delivery schedule?

The article says that auto.makes don't have the storage space to stockpile a large amount of parts. Space = money and there's no reason to stockpile so I can see it being a problem.

• Options
    On the one hand, I want them to do it because the auto-industry immediately shitting the brick would be a massive strike against the administration and pull support away from it.

On the other, people are gonna get financially punched by that so it shouldn't happen at all. Let's go with this one. This is dumb. THIS IS FUCKING DUMB.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

So...Mexit?

Second, no.

The article says that auto.makes don't have the storage space to stockpile a large amount of parts. Space = money and there's no reason to stockpile so I can see it being a problem.

Yeah, they aren't going to order any more parts than they can use over whatever length the delivery cycle is. If they get a truck a week, they have made sure that everything that came on the truck is gone in time for the next truck, which will come with the same set of items in the same number.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

So...Mexit?

Second, no.

Just in time delivery has been a thing since Toyota beat the pants off GM decades ago. I'm actually surprised they'd last a week.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

So...Mexit?

Second, no.

Just in time delivery has been a thing since Toyota beat the pants off GM decades ago. I'm actually surprised they'd last a week.

Assuming a single driver, it's about a 2.5 day trip to go from, say, el paso to detroit by truck, and I could see a plant having enough parts to last one or maybe 2 missed deliveries. So if the border is closed right after the truck gets through it would be 5 to 7 days before all the parts ran out, but if it is closed right before that truck was supposed to get through those plants could shut down in as little as 3 to 5 days.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

So...Mexit?

Second, no.

A week probably drains all WIP.

I doubt that they’d even be at full capacity by the second day.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

If they can close the borders this easily, why do they need a wall?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Not to justify any of their horsehit, but the wall is for people crossing outside of border stations, a border shutdown is because Trump is mad about people requesting asylum (or "abusing loopholes" as he puts it.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Not to justify any of their horeshit, but the wall is for people crossing outside of border stations, a border shutdown is because Trump is made about people requesting asylum (or "abusing loopholes" as he puts it.)

Because Illegal immigration is a threat to the purity of the body political.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Its amazing that I didnt think this could get stupider than the shutdown over the wall.

This threat is the equivalent of trump threatening to dunk his own head in a toilet because someone didnt do the dishes. Even though the dishes are in the dishwasher

Also during a press event about NATO he struggled three fucking times to say the word Origins. Saying oranges multiple times before giving up. I had to check I was still in reality because AssCreedOranges is what my friends and I call assassins creed origins

Also he said his dad was born in a german city. A bizzare lie or brainfart as his dad was born in new york. Maybe he meant his grandad? where was he born?

What in the christ is going on/

This border shutdown threat has to fizzle, right? Its too far even for this new no-holds-barred reality

Prohass on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

So...Mexit?

Second, no.

A week probably drains all WIP.

I doubt that they’d even be at full capacity by the second day.

Most manufacturing is based on 3 jit delivery a week

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Will no one rid me of this troublesome due process?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Oh, McConnell was doing his damnedest to pack all the courts with super-conservative judges.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

He also goes on a rant about limiting *legal* immigration because as always "just come legally" is a lie.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    I have seen several sources point out that a closed border with Mexico would mean an end to a ton of what we think of as staple foods.

Colbert had a bit in his monologue about the US running out of avocados in three weeks if the border is shut.
    WaPost backs it up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/04/02/how-us-mexico-border-dispute-could-make-avocadostoast/?utm_term=.cbcbc3549532

He also pointed out that Spring Break is this month.. so I'm sure keeping all of those college kids away from Cancun and other Mexican destinations will go over really, really well.

Would airlines be required to refund tickets if the border is closed to air traffic?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    I have seen several sources point out that a closed border with Mexico would mean an end to a ton of what we think of as staple foods.

Colbert had a bit in his monologue about the US running out of avocados in three weeks if the border is shut.
    WaPost backs it up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/04/02/how-us-mexico-border-dispute-could-make-avocadostoast/?utm_term=.cbcbc3549532

He also pointed out that Spring Break is this month.. so I'm sure keeping all of those college kids away from Cancun and other Mexican destinations will go over really, really well.

Would airlines be required to refund tickets if the border is closed to air traffic?

If you don't tell him that technically the border isn't closed if you continue to allow air traffic, he probably won't realize the border isn't closed and move along.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

He also goes on a rant about limiting *legal* immigration because as always "just come legally" is a lie.

Conservative 1: I'm not a racist. I have no problem with immigrants as long as they come legally.
    Conservative 2: We must reduce the number of visas available per year. Companies should employ Americans unless the job absolutely cannot be done by an American.

Result: Eternal conservative harmony as these two camps never, ever seem to debate.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    It turns out that Trump is da bestest at international diplomatic relations!

Four days after issuing a firm threat to shut down the U.S. southern border as soon as this week, President Donald Trump was far less definitive in a recent speech.
    Good Morning America is a morning news program on ABC
    “I really wanted to close it. But now Mexico is saying, ‘No, no, no.’ First time in decades. ‘We will not let anybody get through.’ And they’ve apprehended over a thousand people at the southern border, their southern border. And they’re bringing them back to their countries," Trump said during remarks at the National Republican Congressional Committee's annual spring dinner.

Dollars to donuts that Mexico isn't doing anything different than they were before and Trump is just claiming victory without proof.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dollars to donuts that Mexico isn't doing anything different than they were before and Trump is just claiming victory without proof.

He was babbling earlier about those foreigners in the foreign country of Puerto Rico taking $91 billion from the US, so I'm just figuring he's even deeper in turbomendacity mode than he usually is.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm very willing to believe that they told him that, if nothing else just to placate him, because everyone knows by now that Trump has the mindset of a playground bully, and the only thing that really matters to him is making his pecker feel hard.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options

Four days after issuing a firm threat to shut down the U.S. southern border as soon as this week, President Donald Trump was far less definitive in a recent speech.
    “I really wanted to close it. But now Mexico is saying, ‘No, no, no.’ First time in decades. ‘We will not let anybody get through.’ And they’ve apprehended over a thousand people at the southern border, their southern border. And they’re bringing them back to their countries," Trump said during remarks at the National Republican Congressional Committee's annual spring dinner.

Mexico stopped the invisible caravan that was going to rape Iowans on Thursday.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm very willing to believe that they told him that, if nothing else just to placate him, because everyone knows by now that Trump has the mindset of a playground bully, and the only thing that really matters to him is making his pecker feel hard.

I think it's more likely someone showed him the numbers that were already happening, and he had no idea

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Or more likely someone showed him what happens if the auto industry shuts down like his dumb tantrum would cause.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

He was babbling earlier about those foreigners in the foreign country of Puerto Rico taking $91 billion from the US, so I'm just figuring he's even deeper in turbomendacity mode than he usually is.

He read the estimates of damage suffered and thought it was aid received.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Mexico stopped the invisible caravan that was going to rape Iowans on Thursday.

The ones targeting Iwegians are still en route, though.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/how-climate-change-is-fuelling-the-us-border-crisis

One particular section is mind blowing:
    Jiménez has dark hair, an angular, youthful face, and ramrod posture. Her house, on a sloping plot of land, consists of a cluster of rooms with dirt floors and doorless entryways. The area’s soil is intermittently rocky, with broad patches of thick vegetation and coniferous trees. The agronomists with the C.D.R.O. showed Jiménez how to arrange her crops to take advantage of alternating stretches of sun and shade. Tree cover helped modulate temperature and absorb rainfall, and certain plants could protect the harvest from morning frosts. The C.D.R.O. also provided plastic receptacles to capture rain water and condensation, as well as seeds for additional crops. Rising humidity in the region meant, among other things, that Jiménez could plant coffee and citrus at higher altitudes. Charchalac, who oversaw the Climate, Nature, and Communities program in the highlands, told me that, three years earlier, it would have been impossible to find these types of crops in a place like Paraje León. “The coffee and citrus are a clear sign of climate change,” he said. “At the same time, it can be an opportunity. By planting so many diverse things, you can create your own microclimates.”

At the end of the first year, Jiménez and her family had grown enough maize to last them most of the following year, saving them hundreds of quetzales in purchases each month. The C.D.R.O. also set up a device in Totonicapán that measured wind speed, barometric pressure, humidity, and a host of other indicators that could help predict weather events that imperilled crops. In the span of a single month, Jiménez received a pair of text messages from the service, one warning about a coming frost and another alerting her to a stretch of unseasonable heat and humidity. “I planned accordingly,” she told me. “It saved my crops. I warned my neighbors, too, but some of them who weren’t involved in the program or didn’t believe me didn’t make their own preparations, and they lost an entire year’s worth of food.”

Within three years, Jiménez and her husband no longer needed to cut firewood to cover their expenses. They sold tomatoes, vegetables, and beans to buyers at nearby markets and also some of their fruit—apples, peaches, citruses—to residents in Paraje León. Others, including de León, the mayor, were experimenting with their plots as well. A forestry expert at the C.D.R.O. helped a group of volunteers create a nursery for tree saplings, and a local board formed to monitor their progress. Before long, they were planting in denuded stretches of the mountainside.

Jiménez’s brother-in-law worked in a restaurant in Mississippi, and the remittances that he sent home were an irrefutable testament to the benefits of leaving Paraje León. Still, for the first time, she and her husband could make an argument for staying. Jiménez managed to convince her sister, who lived in a neighboring village, not to migrate. Her father-in-law had tried, and failed, to reach the United States several years before, and he’d since been saddled with a massive debt. When he broached the idea of selling his land to repay the bank, Jiménez’s husband told him that the land was too valuable to give up. “The more success we had,” Socop, of the C.D.R.O., told me, “the less attractive it was becoming for people to leave town.”

In July, 2017, the Trump Administration ended funding for the Climate, Nature, and Communities program that covered the project in Paraje León. Although the President had been explicit in questioning the scientific consensus on climate change, there were no official announcements or press conferences; the funding simply petered out. “The reasoning wasn’t an official thing,” one N.G.O. director, who preferred to remain anonymous, told me. “Those who were associated with the U.S. Embassy had a way of communicating it. It was something that came up informally, that the climate-change work would no longer be a thing.” Advocates began noticing subtle changes in the language adopted by U.S.A.I.D. In grant proposals and project descriptions, “climate change” was replaced with phrases such as “resilience to environmental impacts.”

Sebastian Charchalac talks to villagers in a field in Paraje León. Trained agronomists, through grants, have been instructing rural communities in diversifying crops, conserving water, and reforesting some of the surrounding areas.

The residents of Paraje León, meanwhile, knew little about the new Presidential Administration in the U.S. but noticed changes in the community. Jiménez told me that the text-message alerts about weather patterns ceased. (“I started to just look at the sky and clouds to predict if there would be a bad frost,” she said.) A representative from the C.D.R.O. continued to visit the village, but less frequently, and the seed supply diminished. Even so, the people of Paraje León had been fortunate to a degree: their village was one of only a few that had the chance to join the regional initiative before the funding disappeared.

The Trump admin cut funding to an agriculture program that was actually succeeding at helping farmers adapt to climate change instead of migrating to the US. We had something that was working and they killed it.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    This is from a couple days ago but reminder that Arizona is one of the largest racist shitholes in America and has been for the better part of a decade.
    Workers won't face charges after they were seen on video dragging and shoving immigrant children at a privately run shelter in Arizona.
    From the article:
    Prosecutors in Maricopa County said there's no reasonable likelihood of proving the workers committed a crime at the now-shuttered Southwest Key facility near Phoenix.

Prosecutors said none of the three children sustained physical injuries; there was no evidence of intent to injure the children; and they didn't share any feelings with investigators of being ill-treated.

"Ultimately, prosecutors did not have evidence to prove that any use of force was unreasonable to gain compliance or to establish that the physical health and emotional well-being of the children had been placed in danger," the Maricopa County Attorney's Office said in a statement.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/how-climate-change-is-fuelling-the-us-border-crisis

One particular section is mind blowing:
    Jiménez has dark hair, an angular, youthful face, and ramrod posture. Her house, on a sloping plot of land, consists of a cluster of rooms with dirt floors and doorless entryways. The area’s soil is intermittently rocky, with broad patches of thick vegetation and coniferous trees. The agronomists with the C.D.R.O. showed Jiménez how to arrange her crops to take advantage of alternating stretches of sun and shade. Tree cover helped modulate temperature and absorb rainfall, and certain plants could protect the harvest from morning frosts. The C.D.R.O. also provided plastic receptacles to capture rain water and condensation, as well as seeds for additional crops. Rising humidity in the region meant, among other things, that Jiménez could plant coffee and citrus at higher altitudes. Charchalac, who oversaw the Climate, Nature, and Communities program in the highlands, told me that, three years earlier, it would have been impossible to find these types of crops in a place like Paraje León. “The coffee and citrus are a clear sign of climate change,” he said. “At the same time, it can be an opportunity. By planting so many diverse things, you can create your own microclimates.”

At the end of the first year, Jiménez and her family had grown enough maize to last them most of the following year, saving them hundreds of quetzales in purchases each month. The C.D.R.O. also set up a device in Totonicapán that measured wind speed, barometric pressure, humidity, and a host of other indicators that could help predict weather events that imperilled crops. In the span of a single month, Jiménez received a pair of text messages from the service, one warning about a coming frost and another alerting her to a stretch of unseasonable heat and humidity. “I planned accordingly,” she told me. “It saved my crops. I warned my neighbors, too, but some of them who weren’t involved in the program or didn’t believe me didn’t make their own preparations, and they lost an entire year’s worth of food.”

Within three years, Jiménez and her husband no longer needed to cut firewood to cover their expenses. They sold tomatoes, vegetables, and beans to buyers at nearby markets and also some of their fruit—apples, peaches, citruses—to residents in Paraje León. Others, including de León, the mayor, were experimenting with their plots as well. A forestry expert at the C.D.R.O. helped a group of volunteers create a nursery for tree saplings, and a local board formed to monitor their progress. Before long, they were planting in denuded stretches of the mountainside.

Jiménez’s brother-in-law worked in a restaurant in Mississippi, and the remittances that he sent home were an irrefutable testament to the benefits of leaving Paraje León. Still, for the first time, she and her husband could make an argument for staying. Jiménez managed to convince her sister, who lived in a neighboring village, not to migrate. Her father-in-law had tried, and failed, to reach the United States several years before, and he’d since been saddled with a massive debt. When he broached the idea of selling his land to repay the bank, Jiménez’s husband told him that the land was too valuable to give up. “The more success we had,” Socop, of the C.D.R.O., told me, “the less attractive it was becoming for people to leave town.”

In July, 2017, the Trump Administration ended funding for the Climate, Nature, and Communities program that covered the project in Paraje León. Although the President had been explicit in questioning the scientific consensus on climate change, there were no official announcements or press conferences; the funding simply petered out. “The reasoning wasn’t an official thing,” one N.G.O. director, who preferred to remain anonymous, told me. “Those who were associated with the U.S. Embassy had a way of communicating it. It was something that came up informally, that the climate-change work would no longer be a thing.” Advocates began noticing subtle changes in the language adopted by U.S.A.I.D. In grant proposals and project descriptions, “climate change” was replaced with phrases such as “resilience to environmental impacts.”

Sebastian Charchalac talks to villagers in a field in Paraje León. Trained agronomists, through grants, have been instructing rural communities in diversifying crops, conserving water, and reforesting some of the surrounding areas.

The residents of Paraje León, meanwhile, knew little about the new Presidential Administration in the U.S. but noticed changes in the community. Jiménez told me that the text-message alerts about weather patterns ceased. (“I started to just look at the sky and clouds to predict if there would be a bad frost,” she said.) A representative from the C.D.R.O. continued to visit the village, but less frequently, and the seed supply diminished. Even so, the people of Paraje León had been fortunate to a degree: their village was one of only a few that had the chance to join the regional initiative before the funding disappeared.

The Trump admin cut funding to an agriculture program that was actually succeeding at helping farmers adapt to climate change instead of migrating to the US. We had something that was working and they killed it.

This sort of thing is probably why illegal border crossings are up despite the whole world knowing what sort of welcome awaits the immigrants.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Illegal border crossings are down. Its crossing by families that are up.

Bush caught and sent home the peak of our crossing estimations this year... on average

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Bush caught and sent home the peak of our crossing estimations this year... on average

And those illegal crossings are in part due to the lines we are creating at ports of entry by intentionally preventing people trying to make a legal asylum claim.

• Options

And those illegal crossings are in part due to the lines we are creating at ports of entry by intentionally preventing people trying to make a legal asylum claim.

One can make a legal asylum claim even if they cross the border somewhere other than designated points of entry.

But this administration doesn't much care for acknowledging asylum seekers as valid, period.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

One can make a legal asylum claim even if they cross the border somewhere other than designated points of entry.

But this administration doesn't much care for acknowledging asylum seekers as valid, period.

Sure, but if you do it at a port of entry that is one less data point for apprehended in the middle of nowhere.

This discussion has been closed.