Options

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    In the Arkham games, you can punch one guy, then need to switch to another person twenty feet away for the next hit; the game will automatically have Batman leap the distance and land the blow, no problem. In these Spider-Man games, you'll move about five feet and swing at empty air. Spider-Man can jump 30-40 feet laterally no problem, just have him automatically do it and land the hit.

Zip strike. Triangle button. Am I wrong on this?
    Fix the Spidey Sense stuff. Don't pop up with generic Spidey Sense white then switch to yellow or blue.

Hard agree.

The zip strike works, but a couple things. One, you have to know the enemy is actually there to zipstrike to; this can be problematic for off-screen enemies because they might move or you might move and then you end up zip-striking into somebody with swords and everything goes to hell. And the more important (to me) second item is that it's a manual selection that disrupts the flow of combat. If I want to attack a distant enemy, the game should simply do the zip strike automatically. It sounds small, but it simplifies the combat process and also makes it so you can reliably reach something in the direction you think something is. Basically, juice up the auto-targeting and leverage Spider-Man's abilities to make it so a press of the melee button and a direction always hits something if you're within even an 180-degree arc of something.

I just get so annoyed when I throw a punch and the enemy is a couple feet too far away and so I completely whiff. It was outright not a concern in the Batman games, which was a significant factor in making that one of the best melee combat systems ever made.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    What do you mean by bonuses?

Perfect dodge still webs the enemy like previous games with a special animation. Normal dodge does not.

You can then immediately knock them back and they're out.

There's also skills and suit techs that reward perfect dodges.
    As a combo fiend the left side of the shared tree is mwah chefs kiss.

In my entire first playthrough I never messed around with the swing kick -> triangle to fire them higher up skill. I bought it but never used it.

2nd playthrough I'm using it and I can just stay up there forever, climbing high enough that I'm too far from enemies on the ground to yank them up.

Omg yes. And the dodge to keep comboing, and the rebounce, and the instant kd so you can quickly remove an enemy after webbing.

The minute I got the web kick upgrade I was fighting people at the ceiling lol.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The bugs are really starting to pile up. Trapped on a bench, rumble doesn’t shit off, final enemy on a challenge doesn’t spawn. It just keeps going and becoming actively irritating.

I’m hoping Mile Morales and Remastering SM1 didn’t force them into crunch on this.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I don’t think there was crunch, you might’ve just had a bad run of luck. I basically didn’t encounter any bugs or glitches that I noticed

What I loved about venom (ending spoilers)
    they didn’t make him his own character, which is fine, I like that take on venom too, the whole oddball twos company symbiote form the movie is great, but it wouldn’t have worked here in this narrative, so I’m glad instead he was just kind of a blank force modifier for the internal emotions and conflicts of the characters he took over, whilst also being used as a traditional horror kind of villain. The sequence with Peter getting first taken over and you’re following him as MJ was like a horror film. Venom in this was actually terrifying!

They did a really good job of like pure alien evil venom, just an external force that takes over and warps your internal emotions and uses them to justify its basic instincts and goals. Pairing that kind of simple and focussed “just the complications of the hero characters in a dark mirror” villain with the more “personal motives” based villain of Kraven…

…went a long way to avoiding a feeling of villain-overstuff which I really appreciated.

If they had done more to (ending spoilers)
    show how New York being taken over was sending the world into chaos, ie with national guard coming in, news reports from around the globe, I would’ve liked it even more. It started to stretch credulity when the entire city was taken over and it felt largely like another day in Spider-Man’s New York. Like I know they deal with super villains all the time, but this should’ve been received like on another level

Prohass on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Had that bench one, little earlier had a bug where Miles got a new power but the button prompt didn't do anything. Restarting the software fixed both, though.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I actually hit several bugs. Had the game crash out on me twice, got stuck on railings twice during a leaping dodge, and got stuck under the geometry of the corner of a car.

The last one was a little funny, as it was during a story fight with a helper and it turns out the helper just... can't finish the fight. So I was stuck there with the the helper and one final enemy going back and forth to no resolution.

But each time I had to reload I never lost more than a minute of progress, so no big deal. I had more inconvenience from a couple of the Mysterium challenges.

• Options
    The only mysterio challenge that annoyed me was the take everyone out in 60 seconds one, the arena was awkward and I kept falling off. Still nothing compared to some games challenge arenas tho

Oh and also I do remember a bug! Got stuck inside a chandelier and couldn’t get out of it

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I had a bug in a story mission where a triangle prompt caused miles to spin uncancellably in a circle trying to get to the right position to do it. I had to restart the checkpoint.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've had one issue with walking as Peter into an area programmed to turn you around, but then get stuck in a crowd and softlock. A similar scenario with a bike section that I was eventually able to free myself. One time I web zipped into a vent only for the game to teleport me a floor above. I have a picture of a floating coffee cup which I assume is being held by an invisible model. And one out-and-out hard crash to desktop.

I've certainly seen worse, but the game does have some minor nicks and cuts. That said, I turned my system on a while back and there was a patch downloading, so I assume that buffed out some stuff.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah, the 60 second one was annoying, they had the enemies so spread out. Actually had to beat it like three times because a couple times I just couldn't see the dang last enemy and then time would run over while I was looking.

The 6 takedowns was a tough one for me too. Ended up beating it with literally 0 seconds to spare, I just could not get those takedowns built up fast enough. The part where they turned invisible would make it a little iffy to group enemies up so I ended up doing two takedowns while they were visible, building up three bars, doing a final takedown to shift the challenge over to invisible enemies, and then I only had to build up one meter while they were invisible.

I will also say they hit a waaaaay better balance of challenges and stuff this time around. Fewer challenges with annoying limits on them and overall far fewer tedious challenges. Can't say that the stealth stuff getting downplayed a LOT was a problem for me; too many of the challenges for those were too specific and too error prone. I much preferred the fewer stealth sections and not having challenges attached, as they let me approach those areas entirely as I wished.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Yeah I was thinking ‘this isn’t as long as the first game’ but honestly I think that’s just from them pulling away from the bronze/silver/good tiers of success from the first game so there was less repeating the same task for a better score

And as far as bugs go, the quantity has been low but I’ve had more hard crashes playing SM2 then every other PS5 game combined.

Javen on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, the 60 second one was annoying, they had the enemies so spread out. Actually had to beat it like three times because a couple times I just couldn't see the dang last enemy and then time would run over while I was looking.

The 6 takedowns was a tough one for me too. Ended up beating it with literally 0 seconds to spare, I just could not get those takedowns built up fast enough. The part where they turned invisible would make it a little iffy to group enemies up so I ended up doing two takedowns while they were visible, building up three bars, doing a final takedown to shift the challenge over to invisible enemies, and then I only had to build up one meter while they were invisible.

I will also say they hit a waaaaay better balance of challenges and stuff this time around. Fewer challenges with annoying limits on them and overall far fewer tedious challenges. Can't say that the stealth stuff getting downplayed a LOT was a problem for me; too many of the challenges for those were too specific and too error prone. I much preferred the fewer stealth sections and not having challenges attached, as they let me approach those areas entirely as I wished.

I’m glad that the stealth stuff was more optional so I could do stuff like ‘there’s no way black suit Peter would give a shit about stealth, he’d charge in headfirst against 100 goons, but MILES would definitely be sneaky

• Options
    I think I turned on stealth for Miles maybe twice the whole game. And once was by accident because I didn't remember which button turned it on.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I could take or leave the original stealth challenges cause it was fun figuring out the order you needed to take people out in and the time limits did mean you had to do it without stopping which meant still being aggressive while stealthed.

But most of the difficulty was kind of just trial and error until you found a good flowchart.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I stealth with both they are both broke at it.

I have most of the left side tree now and j. h. joseph and mary do I have a lot of options that lead to super chaotic and fun fights.

Hold x is so good for immediately clearing an enemy. Web and x, bye.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    The haptic feedback stuff is great! Wish more games utilised it.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I think I turned on stealth for Miles maybe twice the whole game. And once was by accident because I didn't remember which button turned it on.

Honestly I might be underutilizing it. I did a stealth takedown on an axe brute at the start of a combat encounter once and I should be looking to do that as much as possible.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    There’s a lot of stuff in the game and so yeah it feels like some aspects get waylaid. Miles invisibility definitely could’ve used some X factor new aspect to remind people of its utility. Maybe like a skill where you get an instant use instead of death once per encounter

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I don't use stealth because the combat is so fun I want to fight bases full of enemies.

I had 3 little easy checkpoint reset bugs.

The funniest was doing a side mission where i was typing on a computer on too a building. After the scene finished I did a dive off the rooftop into a loop de loop. At the top of the loop I just... appeared back at the computer typing. That was a very bizarre one. It was also the first time I ever tried loop de loop making it even funnier.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    I don't use stealth because the combat is so fun I want to fight bases full of enemies.

The funniest was doing a side mission where i was typing on a computer on too a building. After the scene finish I did a dive off the rooftop into a loop de loop. At the top of the loop I just... appeared back at the computer typing. That was a very bizarre one. It was also the first time I ever tried loop de loop making it even funnier.

I think that’s because spiderman has superman powers so he can reverse time by going in a circle

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Stealth is disappointing because it mostly the same jumping around and taking down safe enemies. The web lines are neat but just make your job easier. One positive is that there seems to be a grace period when an enemy switches from safe to danger as you do a takedown, which was something annoying in the old games. Also enemies will group up at the end, and they leash much faster when you make a sound, which requires more creative thinking but doesn’t happen often enough.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    One thing that always bothered me in SM1 and MM was the rockets.

Someone shoots a rocket at you, you grab it with your webs and fling it back and it bonks them on the head like any piece of debris. I get it - Peter and Miles aren't about blowing people or things up - that's true! But it's also dissatisfying to snatch an explosive out of the air and not have it blow up when you throw it back.

Spider-Man 2 resolves this. I don't wanna' kill anyone, but I do want that rocket to go boom when I throw it back at someone.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

The funniest was doing a side mission where i was typing on a computer on too a building. After the scene finished I did a dive off the rooftop into a loop de loop. At the top of the loop I just... appeared back at the computer typing. That was a very bizarre one. It was also the first time I ever tried loop de loop making it even funnier.

Pretty much when I was younger I used to do stealth a lot but I realize outside of missions that require it or if it fits the vibe of said mission I would rather just punch.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I do the stealth because I find it fun to clear a whole room without them ever knowing I was there. I don't think its disappointing at all. It was just what I enjoyed when I played the first game.

I finished the game last night, I really enjoyed it. Gameplay felt like a refined version of the first game and the story moved my emotions to tears multiple times. I really couldn't ask for anything more in a Spider-Man game. Okay, I could ask for the hard crashes to be solved. It did that to me 3 times. Enough to be remembered, but not enough to really bother me.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    One thing that always bothered me in SM1 and MM was the rockets.

Someone shoots a rocket at you, you grab it with your webs and fling it back and it bonks them on the head like any piece of debris. I get it - Peter and Miles aren't about blowing people or things up - that's true! But it's also dissatisfying to snatch an explosive out of the air and not have it blow up when you throw it back.

Spider-Man 2 resolves this. I don't wanna' kill anyone, but I do want that rocket to go boom when I throw it back at someone.

I don't care what the game claims happens, a lot of people have died in this game at spideys hand. Both of them lol.

The previous game could kinda handwave it, but now I can get someone high enough that I can throw them down from six stories up and they hit the ground and get webbed there.

Alive right?

Nooooooooooo. No no no. No.

Dead.

The power creep increase has led to definitely murder all over the place.

I don't care or anything it's just pretty funny.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Miles literally electric shoryukens people.

I am sure they are dead but I will play along for the sake of lore.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    That's just tasering innit. *giant ludicrous exaggerated wink*

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I yanked a guy out of a car moving at high speeds just as a big van drove by in the incoming traffic lane. That guy is definitely dead.

Even the people who don't die when you web them to the side of a skyscraper 20 stories have to be dead. Those webs only last an hour and that's not even enough time for the cops to realize somebody is up there, much less get them down safely before they plummet to their death. No, they just have to kind of hang out for a while, possibly screaming for help (if their mouths aren't webbed over), then living in growing terror as the webs gradually dissolve and give way before they end up street pizza at two hundred miles an hour.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    It's still better than 2004 Spiderman 2, where Spidey dealt with muggings by piledriving the mugger off the top of the Empire State Building.

... at least my Spidey did...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Finished the main story. I'll start in on open-world cleanup after I do the last world in Mario Wonder.

• Options
    It's still better than 2004 Spiderman 2, where Spidey dealt with muggings by piledriving the mugger off the top of the Empire State Building.

... at least my Spidey did...

Definitely a feature, not a bug. Pretty sure everybody took at least one criminal to the top of Empire State and went for maximum piledriver.

• Options
    I don't like the oversimplification of the car qte.

Just have him automatically stop the car if you are gonna make it one brain dead button press. Don't fiddle me about.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I don’t know why they didn’t just replace it with something else. Like a different kind of car chase or something. Like yeah I was kind of sick of the QTEs in the first one, but just taking them out and leaving one button press doesn’t really fix that. I think the crime system is the one major element in need of the biggest rework for any future game

I don’t mind something simple and QTE based if it’s new, but just doing the same thing again but making it less involved, it was like, why

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Just have him automatically stop the car if you are gonna make it one brain dead button press. Don't fiddle me about.

If you turn QTEs to autocomplete in the game settings it makes the car chases literally one button to stop. Once in range, you press triangle and boom, Spidey does the rest. I would swear the car chases were bugged in both prior games because dodging seemed to have totally random effectiveness, so I was happy to divest myself of that little chore and let the game handle it.

It unequivocally improved the experience of the game for since it meant I could just enjoy the action cutscenes instead of trying to track whatever random unrelated buttons they were doing for QTE this time around. The only QTE I did the entire game was the fun little Dance Dance Webolution in the Mysterium.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

I like it. You can fail the press and have to try again, and it's the closest SM2 gets to a pigeon chase. It's the little "swing real fast after this thingie" side event, and - for giving me a way to earn upgrades and XP by swinging real fast in pursuit of a thingie - I like it ^.^

• Options
    edited October 2023
    It’s just like, yeah it’s easier, but after doing it twice and realising it was the same every time, I just never did it again (there’s like maybe two versions?). We don’t need ways to grind xp in a game like this, it should be about unique or exciting experiences. And this was just the same basic thing as game 1. It should’ve been replaced with a different activity entirely or different sequence rather than just made “easier”. It just feels like a waste

Prohass on
  • Options
    Eh it's less about the xp than it is someone shaking a stick in front of me and saying "wanna' go run and jump and swing, boy? Go get it!"

Oh boy I do wanna' do all of that.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Eh it's less about the xp than it is someone shaking a stick in front of me and saying "wanna' go run and jump and swing, boy? Go get it!"

Oh boy I do wanna' do all of that.

I get that but it would’ve been nice to change the details of the context or sequence from the first game, where I already did it 50 odd times.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s just like, yeah it’s easier, but after doing it twice and realising it was the same every time, I just never did it again (there’s like maybe two versions?). We don’t need ways to grind xp in a game like this, it should be about unique or exciting experiences. And this was just the same basic thing as game 1. It should’ve been replaced with a different activity entirely or different sequence rather than just made “easier”. It just feels like a waste

There's at least three variants of it. One with "normal" goons, one with Hunters, and one that turns into a roadblock Hunter ambush instead.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I've also run into an item box cache that turned out to be a Hunter ambush event, which was pretty cool.

8i1dt37buh2m.png