As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Kinda spoilery but probably not really question about collectibles:
    Regarding the Spider-drones (which I'm assuming are being sent from other universes, not sure if this is just a cute reference or if the next game is going to really go nuts with it), do you ever get a way to get them to show up on the map? I'm in a situation where there are apparently 3 in an area, but I can't find any of them.
    The OCD compels me, but I'd rather not have to look for a guide online.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Kinda spoilery but probably not really question about collectibles:
    Regarding the Spider-drones (which I'm assuming are being sent from other universes, not sure if this is just a cute reference of if the next game is going to really go nuts with it), do you ever get a way to get them to show up on the map? I'm in a situation where there are apparently 3 in an area, but I can't find any of them.
    The OCD compels me, but I'd rather not have to look for a guide online.
    You do eventually get the ability to see them on the map. Some are also in the air so they can be hard to grab

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Are folks not spamming gadgets and abilities? Large groups go down fine for me. And you get the gadgets back pretty quickly after a few punches. Web grabber to open, then an AoE ability, then regular punches usually thins out most combat groups, and then you can usually disarm distant enemies one by one easily. Use ricochet web or upshot to CC groups in the middle of combat. Always Be Gadgeting, because they regen very quickly.

For singles, a quick web up and throw or slam (hold square to uppercut, web up, hold triangle to slam down to the ground… relatively quick. If you are vaguely near a wall, you don’t even need to uppercut.) easily takes out most non-brute mobs. At the last webshooter upgrade, just webbing up while point blank often KOs a dude.

Brutes are just learning the parry timing, or burn abilities.

Really, the only problematic mobs I run into are the cultists with double flamethrowers, because they parry webs and spam that weird double arc attack.

You’re also invulnerable when using abilities or takedowns, so subbing those in instead of a dodge does two things at once.

I always forget about gadgets cause they don't look as cool or fluid as hand to hand lol.

But one thing I do like about this game is you have a lot of options so a lot of ways to approach fights.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So for anybody who doesn't normally check on this stuff, I've already turned on the option to auto-fire webs and it saves soooooo much button pressing. One press and you get a burst of three shots, which webs all regular enemies. Very convenient. I'm going to try turning on the same option for punching because, honestly, I'm tired of mashing attack and I'm liking the idea of being able to fire off a triple-strike with one button press; that means taking an enemy down in two "attacks" instead of six or more.

If there's a clear way that these Spider-Man games fall short of the Arkham games, it's that the combat is too... fuzzy. You have to hit way too many times to knock an enemy out, Focus buildup is painfully slow, and the lack of mass takedown abilities is pretty obnoxious. The combat needs to be precise, not require beating on one guy with so many hits you can't possibly take him down without 2-3 other guys taking a swing at you and then you have to beat down like ten guys before you can use one takedown attack. The Arkham Batman games did not have these issues as you could defeat single enemies faster, attacks were faster, build up to takedowns was much faster (with perfect strikes, you're talking punching out a single enemy giving Batman enough combo for a takedown), and enemies worked according to a clear system with a rhythm to it. Even the counter system worked a lot better because, frustratingly, Spider Sense flashes white first and then flashes the correct counter color, taking away very important time to react to something or getting you to reflexively commit to the wrong counter. Just color code the damn counter type to the Spidey Sense color: white for melee dodge, yellow for blades, red for projectiles, and blue for crush. I've been hit a million times simply because that white Spidey Sense flash says "dodge"... and then I'm stuck mid-fucking-dodge when a blade attack comes around. And drop the silly "perfect dodge" window and just make every counter perfect. This combat system is just not precise enough to benefit from different levels of counter timing, give us the perfect dodge as the regular one.

It's not a terrible combat system, it's just the weakest part of the game to me and overall where they've shown the least improvement between games. They really should tighten that shit down.

I feel like a lot of these things are just what your upgrades and character progression are for. Like focus speed, if it's too quick normally the upgrades for it are pretty pointless. You have to feel wanting for an upgrade to be worthwhile.

And I'm still only level 20 something I already hit the point I have SO MUCH available during combat. And so many skills that work together to deal plenty of damage on hard mode(air combo damage! Dodge midair to not break combos, bouncing guys! Tools that launch!)

Like I can already see how crazy things are going to get with some more of these suit upgrades and abilities. But it already just non-stop combos and abilities and gadgets and I only have a few damage upgrades so far and it feels fantastic.

You can turn down enemy health by itself if you don't like how it feels. Personally I think it would feel far worse if it was notably lower than where it starts on hard. Everyone would die in 1 basic combo making half the skillset kinda pointless.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah one of my complaints about the first game was once you got going some enemies went down too fast even on the hardest difficulty so I don't mind them being a bit sturdier.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The photo mode is so good.

I set slow mode to one of the d pad short cuts so it's easier to capture cool action moments.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah one of my complaints about the first game was once you got going some enemies went down too fast even on the hardest difficulty so I don't mind them being a bit sturdier.

The fact that all of that stuff is controllable individually in the settings is pretty great. Its not just easy/medium/hard but if you think enemies are too much of a damage sponge, you can turn their HP down, or if you think they don't deal enough damage you can turn their damage up all independent of each other. I just love customizable difficulty like that.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I'd love a customization option like '50% less enemies with ranged weapons', but that's just my issue with it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Why do you bring the injured people to an ambulance instead of just straight to the hospital?

Is Spider-Man in cahoots with a private ambulance company?

Is he only pretending to be poor because he can’t figure out how to tell MJ he’s getting the money?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Why do you bring the injured people to an ambulance instead of just straight to the hospital?

Is he only pretending to be poor because he can’t figure out how to tell MJ he’s getting the money?

Because they can randomly spawn an ambulance anywhere in a reasonable travel distance but a hospital could halfway across the city.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Because they can randomly spawn an ambulance anywhere in a reasonable travel distance but a hospital could halfway across the city.

New York City has 11 hospitals, so it really wouldn't be halfway across the city, but you're probably close in that I think they probably didn't want to model all of the hospitals, so they just did a couple and stuck ambulances to cover the rest of the area.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Question about a minigame I want more of!
    the mysterio music thing. Are there more? That was awesome.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Question about a minigame I want more of!
    the mysterio music thing. Are there more? That was awesome.
    There are not. There are more Mysterio things around New York to do, but they're all
    combat challenges like get 6 finishers in 2 minutes or don't get hit ever.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I dunno why I'm surprised when the first two games went so hard with the story but holy shit, this game goes so hard with the story.

Also (major spoiler)
    wow, I just killed so many peoples as Venom. Like... a hundred people. And fucking wrecked that building. And definitively solved the Kraven problem, waaaaay more brutally than I was expecting.

What a great flip of the gameplay, having you go from fighting Lizard and then Kraven and then Black Suit Spider-Man over to playing as the big bad guy. Love how Venom is raw brutal power with no subtlety. No dodging attacks, he just absorbs and fires it back. He doesn't use weblines much, just leaps to his targets. The Spider-Mans are geared around fighting solo enemies and use abilities/gadgets for multiple targets, but Venom is just anti-everything, all the time, no gadgets.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    The Howard side mission was really cool.

As it started I switched to the Amazing Spider-Man 2 outfit because anything else just didn't feel right.

Insomniac really gets the core of Peter/Spider-Man, sadly better than the current comics even.

• Options
    I dunno why I'm surprised when the first two games went so hard with the story but holy shit, this game goes so hard with the story.

Also (major spoiler)
    wow, I just killed so many peoples as Venom. Like... a hundred people. And fucking wrecked that building. And definitively solved the Kraven problem, waaaaay more brutally than I was expecting.

What a great flip of the gameplay, having you go from fighting Lizard and then Kraven and then Black Suit Spider-Man over to playing as the big bad guy. Love how Venom is raw brutal power with no subtlety. No dodging attacks, he just absorbs and fires it back. He doesn't use weblines much, just leaps to his targets. The Spider-Mans are geared around fighting solo enemies and use abilities/gadgets for multiple targets, but Venom is just anti-everything, all the time, no gadgets.

The it feels like the whole final third is
    just going from "holy shit this is fucking awesome" to "holy shit this is fucking awesome" moments.

More side stuff opens up - cool! - but being locked out of Miles is grating on me. It's been hours and hours.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

As it started I switched to the Amazing Spider-Man 2 outfit because anything else just didn't feel right.

Insomniac really gets the core of Peter/Spider-Man, sadly better than the current comics even.

Yeah, they've balanced their wholesomeness, personal lives, and hero lives in these games infinitely better than the comics have for like... 15-20 years now. Even more amazing is how well they've integrated Parker and Miles into the same setting while still giving them plenty of their own unique stuff. Parker is the science guy, but I love how much of an art focus they give Miles and his experiences. Miles is really the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, he is so involved in his community and it's fantastic.

• Options

Yeah, they've balanced their wholesomeness, personal lives, and hero lives in these games infinitely better than the comics have for like... 15-20 years now. Even more amazing is how well they've integrated Parker and Miles into the same setting while still giving them plenty of their own unique stuff. Parker is the science guy, but I love how much of an art focus they give Miles and his experiences. Miles is really the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, he is so involved in his community and it's fantastic.

I want more of it though. Just more little stories, more little things to do, particularly as Miles.

More.

And Insomniac would say "this took us years."

And I would slam my fist on the table and bellow "More!"

• Options
    I feel like I’ve finished all of the side content before I unlocked the “take down two enemies on a web line” ability, like I get that I could unlock it earlier but it feels like they scaled back the optional “dungeons” or hideouts or whatever in this game. Maybe I’m just remembering all the dlc in one

• Options
    Okay. Finished. That was fuckin' siiick.

If I can start a separate save slot I think I'll just restart

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I like how the crime activities work in theory, the idea that crime is always happening, but ultimately once you’ve done a crime once there’s no reason to do it again, and the fact that they’re exactly the same every time, with no variation within categories, exacerbates that. Like I guess for people who absolutely want to grind xp, but you don’t really need to

I also think because they’re always the same people might skip them and miss our on the team ups rhat can happen with various characters

I wish there was a bit more randomness, and maybe instead of random crimes rhey also had random community activities, like a cat stuck in a tree kind of things

Prohass on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I like how the crime activities work in theory, the idea that crime is always happening, but ultimately once you’ve done a crime once there’s no reason to do it again, and the fact that they’re exactly the same every time, with no variation within categories, exacerbates that. Like I guess for people who absolutely want to grind xp, but you don’t really need to

I also think because they’re always the same people might skip them and miss our on the team ups rhat can happen with various characters

I wish there was a bit more randomness, and maybe instead of random crimes they also had random community activities, like a cat stuck in a tree kind of things

Oh no my balloon!

If you don't know, Spider-Man 2... well the OG based-on-the-film game now, had these. This was a fucking nightmare because it was next to impossible to actually get the god damn balloon.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah but I like the idea of a superhero stopping to get a cat out of a tree. That's a superior Pet the Dog moment.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    One thing i wish they had in the last section of the game is
    military helicopters and like tanks and stuff arriving. Cos it feels weird to not have the world reacting. Like I guess no police makes sense since they’re being taken over, but I’d like to see like outside forces arriving to quarantine the area. Just feels like a missed opportunity to make the events seem more tangible and epic

At the very least it needed a few scenes of like big crowds running or news reports from around the world. I get that it’s focussed on spiderman and the cast and that’s good, but it needed some establishing montages of the context of the events cos it ended up feeling a bit like there was nobody else on earth except the main cast.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Chance wrote: »

I want more of it though. Just more little stories, more little things to do, particularly as Miles.

More.

And Insomniac would say "this took us years."

And I would slam my fist on the table and bellow "More!"

I didn't ask for excuses, I demanded MORE STORIES ABOUT SPIDER-MAN!
    maxresdefault.jpg

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Some of the suit variations are so cool, all the classic black suit variants look amazing, but the one with the blue and red lighting, like a comic book colouring that reacts to actual light

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The ones of Miles where he's dressed exactly in the red/blue/sometimes white colours of classic Spider-Man feel weird, especially in the menu when you can barely tell them apart. I almost feel like I'd get totally mixed up on who I was playing as if I had them go twinning like that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    For people who have beaten the game
    man I wish insomniac could make a Gargoyles game

• Options
    edited October 2023
    My above and beyond dream for one of the costumes:
    They already went above and beyond with the animation and sound effect filters for the Spider-Verse suits (the animation was cool but distracting, but I'm keeping the TWHACK bubbles for the entire game), but I'd have loved loved loved it if they'd recorded some hard-boiled lines for Peter to use in fights if he's dressed as Spider-Noir.

Story progress:
    Last story mission saw Pete's new workplace trashed, and Pete and Yuri just let a cult leader get away by fighting about killing him. That was the toughest fight for me so far, so by the end I was coming around to wanting to kill my enemies. Good job making your case, Yuri.

edit: Also, Pete's "I don't have any honey" line totally cracked me up, credit where it's due.

klemming on
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    My above and beyond dream for one of the costumes:
    They already went above and beyond with the animation and sound effect filters for the Spider-Verse suits (the animation was cool but distracting, but I'm keeping the TWHACK bubbles for the entire game), but I'd have loved loved loved it if they'd recorded some hard-boiled lines for Peter to use in fights if he's dressed as Spider-Noir.

Story progress:
    Last story mission saw Pete's new workplace trashed, and Pete and Yuri just let a cult leader get away by fighting about killing him. That was the toughest fight for me so far, so by the end I was coming around to wanting to kill my enemies. Good job making your case, Yuri.
    Yeah I found that fight unusually tough, I never got the hang of the counter and dodge timings in it

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    This game is so sick but the tutorial was obnoxiously handholdy and they need to not ever do that again period.

Turning off all the assists seems to give me a lot more control, so I can do sick shit while web slinging. The new movement mechanics are good.

I am filling out all the movement.

I don't super need much help in the combat skill wise because I almost never get hit cos you have all the old games basic moves? I got the basic ability unlocks with both characters (eg the venom stuff and spider legs stuff).

However I would like to ask one thing, what do you do about that one flame arms enemy that does like a criss cross flame attack. Do you have to parry that? It does like a million billion damage on Spectacular so I haven't had a chance to learn.

I currently focus on and crowd control the hell out of them so they never have a chance to do it, and stay in the sky as much as possible.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The tutorial had to allow for people who hadn't played the first one, I wouldn't say it overstepped. The stuff that was actually new to me (abilities, how gadgets work now, gliding) was introduced fairly quickly but not all at once, and the stuff I already knew was mixed in with all of that the same way.

For that one enemy, yes, either parry or just jump away, dodging won't help you.

• Options
    I don’t even remember a tutorial, it’s integrated pretty well into just sequences and story that’s happening. It wasn’t like there was some like training mode section, it just naturally layered stuff as you went

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I don’t even remember a tutorial, it’s integrated pretty well into just sequences and story that’s happening. It wasn’t like there was some like training mode section, it just naturally layered stuff as you went

Yeah it was pretty fluid - if you held a gun to my head I'd describe everything up to the
    prison break

as kinda the tutorial? There is a noticeable jump in difficulty after that sequence and it's the first point where the game isn't really really hammering you to get at the next plot objective / ability unlock.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    It gates you to tutorial areas extremely clumsily. You feel like you've lost control.

You are locked in a cage. This happens for an aggravatingly long time.

If you are the type to follow objectives you wont notice.

I don't care about the how to do x stuff, press button to do y stuff. It's all fine, solid tutorialising.

But if I wanna swing around for a while before I go to the next objective don't make the gated area so obnoxiously small. I'm trying to learn how the swinging works not follow your little guided path. It's an open world game. Give me at least the entire district. The blocked off areas were a tiny corridor to the objective and if you went past it at all the whole swinging system bugged out with an invisible wall in the air.

Spidey goes back and forth mid air as you keep pressing forwards without realising and it's really confusing until you work out its not you, its the game very clumsily telling you hard no.

Thankfully its all gone now, I can go anywhere, but boy was it aggravating.
    It also broke immersion pretty fierce when it happened cos it was really janky looking. Impossible physics, wigging out animations.

And now I don't wanna talk about it anymore. It's done with. I wanna talk about how cool the game is now. Cos it is very cool.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I literally laughed out loud at a comic reference.

Spoiler deals with a story mission that follows the Coney Island story mission
    Harry rocking the Agent Venom look!

Love how they use and remix all the comic stuff.

• Options
    However I would like to ask one thing, what do you do about that one flame arms enemy that does like a criss cross flame attack. Do you have to parry that? It does like a million billion damage on Spectacular so I haven't had a chance to learn.

I currently focus on and crowd control the hell out of them so they never have a chance to do it, and stay in the sky as much as possible.

I... shit, I forget. They are annoying as fuck. I definitely tended to just stay airborne and yank people in for beatings... maybe it was cooldown skills and thrown items?

...I didn't figure our that you can disarm and slap a goon with their weapon while airborne until my second playthrough >.<

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Finished the game last night and am a resounding “meh” on the story.

First game was much better in that regard.

• Options
    Yea any annoying enemy like that I just go airborne and pull them up to me for free combos until dead.

Also just in general the gadget that yanks everyone in is stupid good with the upgrade that also pulls in throwables.

Like sometimes it will grab enough junk to just 1 shot a bunch of enemies on Spectacular.

Honestly overall I feel like I do so much damage and i still have a good amount of upgrades to get.

• Options
    I never upgraded the pull-everyone-in gadget - not even once - until like the last mission of the game >.< dunno why I ignored it so long.

I loved pulling guys in to Miles' AoEs.