Options

[Michael Cohen] Cohen cooperating conditionally, could connect POTUS

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Has this been covered?

Cohen's lawyer is saying that Cohen is willing to testify before Congress without immunity:
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/22/politics/lanny-davis-michael-cohen-testify-no-immunity-cnntv/index.html

Willing to bet Congress says "no thanks"

Congress interviews him, spends the whole time asking about Taxi medallions, and other shady, non-Trump stuff that he's done, to reduce his credibility.

Silver lining: they're all on public record ignoring the topic at hand and they all get voted out of office.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah Lanny Davis is just flat out bullshitting at this point. If Cohen had half the shit he claims he'd have gotten a better deal than he did. But as someone said above it is useful in giving the press a lead and a story to run.

Lanny Davis is a crook and a liar with zero ethics. Ignoring him is for the best.

If everyone ignored lying crooks with zero ethics, no one would talk about anything in this administration!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Has this been covered?

Cohen's lawyer is saying that Cohen is willing to testify before Congress without immunity:
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/22/politics/lanny-davis-michael-cohen-testify-no-immunity-cnntv/index.html

Congress interviews him, spends the whole time asking about Taxi medallions, and other shady, non-Trump stuff that he's done, to reduce his credibility.

LET THEM!

Let them try and slime him- to which he responds by reminding them of his finance chairmanship of their own goddamn Party.

Then, as someone on reddit said, he can always go full Igor Karkaroff and start calling dirty laundry and naming names of specific people in the chamber.

Here's lookin' at you Mitch and Paul.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah Lanny Davis is just flat out bullshitting at this point. If Cohen had half the shit he claims he'd have gotten a better deal than he did. But as someone said above it is useful in giving the press a lead and a story to run.

Lanny Davis is a crook and a liar with zero ethics. Ignoring him is for the best.

If everyone ignored lying crooks with zero ethics, no one would talk about anything in this administration!

well we could talk about their admitted crimes.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Has this been covered?

LET THEM!

Let them try and slime him- to which he responds by reminding them of his finance chairmanship of their own goddamn Party.

Then, as someone on reddit said, he can always go full Igor Karkaroff and start calling dirty laundry and naming names of specific people in the chamber.

Here's lookin' at you Mitch and Paul.

Oh that would be wonderful. Also the democratic members of congress would also get to ask questions and this close to midterms I wouldn't want to be the GOP congress member that asked about dumb stuff while everything is on fire.

Also I was busy with a gamejam for the last 5 days and I had not checked the news or the web until yesterday. Coming out of a full media blackout the moment the TV started running "BREAKING NEWS: Cohen pleads guilty..." such an awesome way to get back to reality.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/politics/read-michael-cohen-plea-deal/index.html

CNN has the full plea up. Pleaded down to 8-65 years.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There is just no goddamn way they let the guy who knows where they buried the bodies testify publicly when Democrats will get to ask questions too

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    There is just no goddamn way they let the guy who knows where they buried the bodies testify publicly when Democrats will get to ask questions too

It would be one thing if they thought he would do like Sessions and the rest and just refuse to acknowledge Democrats or talk around them, but this guy seems like he might actually respond and that's not acceptable.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

David Jolly is a former member of Congress from Florida

Fox and Friends is all that's wrong with this world

So Trump's just admitted on camera the payoff money came directly from him. A day after Cohen admitted the payoffs were made to directly support the campaign by suppressing the infidelity stories, which a judge yesterday agreed was definitely a crime.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Sure that's not months? Pretty sure they were talking up to ~5 years yesterday.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

My bad that is what he pleaded down from yes. Max of 65 years to months.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    From 65 years to 46-63 months, with a fine in the $20K-$1M range.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

He agreed not to fight a sentence of 40 odd to 63 months. Its on the next to last page.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

He has said exactly this previously already, right?

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

So Trump's just admitted on camera the payoff money came directly from him. A day after Cohen admitted the payoffs were made to directly support the campaign by suppressing the infidelity stories, which a judge yesterday agreed was definitely a crime.

"I didn't know about the payments until long after they happened."

"The payments came directly from me, not the campaign."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »

Cohen had access to his money though. I thought that was pretty standard? Saves you needing to authorize all the transactions involved in your law things.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Has this been covered?

At this point I'm thinking that maybe Cohen hasn't given up on getting that Trump pardon. He's just switching from the carrot to the stick.
    "Gimme my pardon or I will spill the beans to anyone who asks. This guy! That guy! Those folks over there! ANYONE!"
    This shit seems so desperate and yet so pointless given he's already taken a deal. Who's he selling to other then Trump?

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Or he expected the pardon, but instead he got betrayed.

So now he's turbofucked, and he can't stop that. But what he can do is make sure the people who left him to hang get turbofucked as well.

Never underestimate the power of pure spite.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Cohen had access to his money though. I thought that was pretty standard? Saves you needing to authorize all the transactions involved in your law things.

Cohen specifically plead guilty to getting a fraudulent loan to pay off one of the women (I think daniels) so no it wasn't trump's money.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    "I knew nothing about the payment."

"I didn't pay Cohen back for the payment."

"Cohen was paid back for the payment."

"It was all my money from the start and I did it."

That's the progression so far right?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Cohen specifically plead guilty to getting a fraudulent loan to pay off one of the women (I think daniels) so no it wasn't trump's money.

I should note that the legal issue is way smaller if it was Trump's own money. It becomes a minor reporting violation and not an illegal contribution to the campaign. Candidates are allowed to donate as much of their own money to their own campaign as they choose to.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Pretty sure we've reached the "I did it and it was awesome" step.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options

I should note that the legal issue is way smaller if it was Trump's own money. It becomes a minor reporting violation and not an illegal contribution to the campaign. Candidates are allowed to donate as much of their own money to their own campaign as they choose to.

But its complete bullshit though. Like a man literally plead guilty to the crime, he would not be doing that to be all "psych it was trump's money" and its not like the prosecutors didn't money trail it anyway. Trump is just lying because its what he does.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Also, to be clear here, this is the President of the USA, arguing that it is a good and moral thing that he used his own money to pay off his mistress, whom he had been cheating on his wife with in the months after the birth of their son, to prevent her from telling her story months before the election. Literally we are down to arguing about degrees of corruption, with the President arguing that his actions, while despicable, imoral and wrong, were not TECHNICALLY illegal.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Sanders was asked about that interview vs the fact that we have heard him on a phone call with Cohen talking about arranging the payments. So absolutely knew ahead of time and instructed Cohen to make the payments. Her response each time was "The President did nothing wrong" or "The President has been clear on this."

The Cherry on top is that to pay Cohen back for making these payments, Cohen submitted fake invoices to the Trump Organization to receive reimbursement through a cover up.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It was all immoral, it was all illegal, and somebody with a shred of shame would have resigned by now

• Options

Ah ok so he loaned the money and then made a fake invoice for Trump to get his money back? Still sounds like actually Trumps money, but makes it murkier.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Also, to be clear here, this is the President of the USA, arguing that it is a good and moral thing that he used his own money to pay off his mistress, whom he had been cheating on his wife with in the months after the birth of their son, to prevent her from telling her story months before the election. Literally we are down to arguing about degrees of corruption, with the President arguing that his actions, while despicable, imoral and wrong, were not TECHNICALLY illegal.

I mean it has worked out for him so far.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

But its complete bullshit though. Like a man literally plead guilty to the crime, he would not be doing that to be all "psych it was trump's money" and its not like the prosecutors didn't money trail it anyway. Trump is just lying because its what he does.

Yea, I don't believe Trump ever spends his own money if he can help it. I'm just giving folks context on why this issue is important in the larger picture and why now of all times he will loudly shout he bought the silence of these women with his own money.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Ah ok so he loaned the money and then made a fake invoice for Trump to get his money back? Still sounds like actually Trumps money, but makes it murkier.

He borrowed money to make the pay offs and then submitted fake invoices to Trump to get paid back to hide that he made the pay off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2018

They almost certainly have documentation of the first part being a lie, but my favorite part is that he doesn't realize that the second part is exactly the problem.

If the campaign paid for it they could argue this was just a case of failing to document a PR expense. Instead, he's insisting that it wasn't.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

No. Because a loan is a campaign contribution and Trump knowing about it means that he solicited and directed an illegal campaign contribution. And Trump knew about it because we have him on tape talking about the payment before it happened

edit: And we know about the tape because Rudi Guiliani released it...

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

The fact that the process by which they hid the hush money to mistresses is not immediately apparent is, itself, a huge red flag

• Options

The fact that the process by which they hid the hush money to mistresses is not immediately apparent is, itself, a huge red flag

Yeah it sounds like exactly the way you'd do it if you wanted to hide what you were doing.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Well.... until we get a press conference in a day or two where he says "I think there's a misunderstanding. Where I said 'did' make pay off, I meant 'didn't'."

Hey, it worked for him with the Helsinki conference.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Sanders was asked about that interview vs the fact that we have heard him on a phone call with Cohen talking about arranging the payments. So absolutely knew ahead of time and instructed Cohen to make the payments. Her response each time was "The President did nothing wrong" or "The President has been clear on this."

The Cherry on top is that to pay Cohen back for making these payments, Cohen submitted fake invoices to the Trump Organization to receive reimbursement through a cover up.

I was watching too, it would have been nice if someone had followed up with “of course Mr. Trump says he’s done nothing wrong, but aren’t the actions being described crimes?”

She really stuck to the line that clearly Trump is clean because he hasn’t been charged with anything.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

Associated Press reports Cohen has been subpoenaed in the investigation into the Trump Foundation.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Pretty sure we've reached the "I did it and it was awesome" step.

Will we reach the "Doesn't matter, had sex." defense level though?

I... can't rule it out.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Well.... until we get a press conference in a day or two where he says "I think there's a misunderstanding. Where I said 'did' make pay off, I meant 'didn't'."

Hey, it worked for him with the Helsinki conference.

The President has clarified that he meamt to say "psych!"

• Options
    IANAL so I can't comment on the specific legality of openly paying somebody off before an election with your own money vs. telling somebody else to use theirs (we know from the Cohen recordings that the latter is what ended up happening) or at least to make it appear that it didn't come from you by using a shell corporation, but IMO using money to affect an election should always be reported. I see no value in allowing people to keep dirty little secrets when running for the highest office in the land.

"But Josh! Then hush money won't be hush money!" Yep.

And, again IMO, the penalty for intentionally failing to report hush money -- intentionally hiding facts from the American public with the intent of misleading them -- should be very severe. We're not talking about holding up a liquor store, we're talking about defrauding the nation. Americans deserve to know the truth about the people they elect to represent them, and any attempt to keep the public from being able to make a decision based on the facts should be met with harsh penalties.

I guess I don't see how Trump can wriggle out of this. In the end, there are three possibilities:

1) Trump paid hush money all on his own to influence the election, and didn't report it. This is a crime.

2) Trump told Cohen to take his money, launder it through a shell corporation to avoid reporting it as a campaign expenditure (and thus open to scrutiny), and pay hush money to influence the election. This is a really criminal crime.

3) Trump is a super dumb-dumb who didn't know what the hell Cohen was talking about when they met to discuss hush money and just said yes to everything by accident and was surprised later on when he heard that Cohen did it, so he paid Cohen back from his own funds, and then lied to the American people when he said he didn't know about it. This is technically not a crime, but would make Trump not just the most incompetent human being to ever hold an office in this country, but perhaps the dumbest human being in history. Also -- lol he knew what he was doing.

This discussion has been closed.