Options

[Michael Cohen] Cohen cooperating conditionally, could connect POTUS

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    IANAL so I can't comment on the specific legality of openly paying somebody off before an election with your own money vs. telling somebody else to use theirs (we know from the Cohen recordings that the latter is what ended up happening) or at least to make it appear that it didn't come from you by using a shell corporation, but IMO using money to affect an election should always be reported. I see no value in allowing people to keep dirty little secrets when running for the highest office in the land.

"But Josh! Then hush money won't be hush money!" Yep.

And, again IMO, the penalty for intentionally failing to report hush money -- intentionally hiding facts from the American public with the intent of misleading them -- should be very severe. We're not talking about holding up a liquor store, we're talking about defrauding the nation. Americans deserve to know the truth about the people they elect to represent them, and any attempt to keep the public from being able to make a decision based on the facts should be met with harsh penalties.

I guess I don't see how Trump can wriggle out of this. In the end, there are three possibilities:

1) Trump paid hush money all on his own to influence the election, and didn't report it. This is a crime.

2) Trump told Cohen to take his money, launder it through a shell corporation to avoid reporting it as a campaign expenditure (and thus open to scrutiny), and pay hush money to influence the election. This is a really criminal crime.

3) Trump is a super dumb-dumb who didn't know what the hell Cohen was talking about when they met to discuss hush money and just said yes to everything by accident and was surprised later on when he heard that Cohen did it, so he paid Cohen back from his own funds, and then lied to the American people when he said he didn't know about it. This is technically not a crime, but would make Trump not just the most incompetent human being to ever hold an office in this country, but perhaps the dumbest human being in history. Also -- lol he knew what he was doing.

everyone knows trump is a criminal, but the side that counts (currently) doesn't care

he doesn't need to wriggle out of this because thanks to a corrupt gop being in charge of everything, he will face no consequences

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »

"I didn't know about the payments until long after they happened."

"The payments came directly from me, not the campaign."

Cohen had access to his money though. I thought that was pretty standard? Saves you needing to authorize all the transactions involved in your law things.

Cohen specifically plead guilty to getting a fraudulent loan to pay off one of the women (I think daniels) so no it wasn't trump's money.

Ah ok so he loaned the money and then made a fake invoice for Trump to get his money back? Still sounds like actually Trumps money, but makes it murkier.

No. Because a loan is a campaign contribution and Trump knowing about it means that he solicited and directed an illegal campaign contribution. And Trump knew about it because we have him on tape talking about the payment before it happened

edit: And we know about the tape because Rudi Guiliani released it...

I know it's said a lot, but he's really got the worst fucking lawyers. He clearly doesn't even understand what part the crime is.

*accused of robbing a bank*

*argues he had an account at that bank*

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Trump tried to use plausible deniability to have his cake and eat it too. Give his lawyer access to his funds, and then when it comes out that Cohen was using those funds for shady/illegal things (for Trumps benefit, not Cohen's) he can act all, "i had no idea what Cohen was doing with my money! I'm the real victim here."

Trump loses that deniability when Giuliani specifically mentions that this strategy was intentional on TV (with the cover of, "Everybody does it!", leading to Giuliani being fired from his law firm) and also Cohen recorded the conversations with Trump telling him to do those things.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I’m reminded of when Comey testified a year ago, and Trump completely changed his story six or seven times, but every media outlet was bending over backwards and squinting to make the argument that technically Comey may have omitted something tiny and specific that wasn’t relevant and thus the two stories should be granted equal weight.

Trump can change his story as much as he wants, which is incredibly frustrating. It will be interesting to see how that plays out if he ever winds up under oath.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Associated Press reports Cohen has been subpoenaed in the investigation into the Trump Foundation.

"You want to cooperate and tell the truth? Here's a chance to do just that!"

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    mmmmmm unpardonable

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »

"I didn't know about the payments until long after they happened."

"The payments came directly from me, not the campaign."

Cohen had access to his money though. I thought that was pretty standard? Saves you needing to authorize all the transactions involved in your law things.

Cohen specifically plead guilty to getting a fraudulent loan to pay off one of the women (I think daniels) so no it wasn't trump's money.

Ah ok so he loaned the money and then made a fake invoice for Trump to get his money back? Still sounds like actually Trumps money, but makes it murkier.

No. Because a loan is a campaign contribution and Trump knowing about it means that he solicited and directed an illegal campaign contribution. And Trump knew about it because we have him on tape talking about the payment before it happened

edit: And we know about the tape because Rudi Guiliani released it...

I know it's said a lot, but he's really got the worst fucking lawyers. He clearly doesn't even understand what part the crime is.

*accused of robbing a bank*

*argues he had an account at that bank*

"He thought he was making a withdrawal."
    "You just handed me a copy of his demand note."

Never forget that Guiliani had exit chances at almost every step (they got worse and less convincing each time, but they were there, he could have attempted some kind of damage control), and he kept going left, like somebody stubbornly trying to pick the "No" option in a Zelda game no matter how many times Sahasrahla repeats himself. This isn't just a self inflicted wound. This is a self inflicted scrape that he damn near opened up into a full amputation.

Hevach on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    mmmmmm unpardonable

Trump wouldn't give Cohen a pardon anymore anyway

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Trump can change his story as much as he wants, which is incredibly frustrating. It will be interesting to see how that plays out if he ever winds up under oath.

I expect zero things to change if he ever winds up under oath.

He will just adlib and lie as he goes along. It's what he does all the time. It's why Guliani considers him being brought to testify as a "perjury trap" because the dude can't help but fucking lie about everything.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    The "perjury trap" concept is so infuriating.

"You can't ask him to tell the truth! He'd obviously lie, and that's on YOU for trying to force him to not lie!"

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

He will just adlib and lie as he goes along. It's what he does all the time. It's why Guliani considers him being brought to testify as a "perjury trap" because the dude can't help but fucking lie about everything.

under oath is what matters, though. It's why Clinton had actual problems... not because he lied to the public or because he coerced a woman into sex acts, but because he lied about it under oath. Luckily for him, the Senate was partisan enough to view a little light perjury as not meeting the Constitutional standard for removal...

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »

"You can't ask him to tell the truth! He'd obviously lie, and that's on YOU for trying to force him to not lie!"

I mean, it shouldn't be lost in here that police love to get people to accidently talk themselves into trouble and a lot of innocent people get fucked over by this.

I just don't care in this case

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

under oath is what matters, though. It's why Clinton had actual problems... not because he lied to the public or because he coerced a woman into sex acts, but because he lied about it under oath. Luckily for him, the Senate was partisan enough to view a little light perjury as not meeting the Constitutional standard for removal...

Not really. Nixon's articles of impeachment included a section on misleading the public.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There is a vast gulf of difference between a normal police interview and someone lying there, and the president of the united states unable to talk to his special prosecutor because he'll lie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

As part of a clear fishing expedition? Yeah, no, probably not.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Can we not get into Clinton? Because I really don’t want to explain how it was neither perjury and also very different circumstances

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »

Yeah but truth isn't truth!

If we tell you the truth you'll just claim it isn't, and sadly there's no objective way to know what the real truth is!

The funniest thing about all this, to me, is how readily Republicans accept moral relativism when it's one of their own.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Not really. Nixon's articles of impeachment included a section on misleading the public.

Specifically:
    making or causing to be made false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States into believing that a thorough and complete investigation had been conducted with respect to allegations of misconduct on the part of personnel of the executive branch of the United States and personnel of the Committee for the Re-election of the President, and that there was no involvement of such personnel in such misconduct: or

This was within the context of obstruction of justice in the Watergate break in.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    If the worst thing Trump has to worry about is perjury he should count himself lucky. If they didn't hatchet Bill Clinton for it's not like I'd suspect it to go differently a second time.

Someone might try, but while impeaching and removing a president over perjury is technically possible it ain't, like, likely even with an opposition held Congress. Now the implied complicity in a felony? You bet your ass if comes out there's smoking guns in congress and the house ever flips democrat.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    mmmmmm unpardonable

Trump wouldn't give Cohen a pardon anymore anyway

It's more about the other people implicated in a Trump Foundation investigation, including the Donald Trump, his three oldest children, and his son in law, not being pardonable in New York state matters.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    MSNBC producer:

Isn't it being paid by Trump despite being campaign expenses precisely what makes it an illegal campaign expense?

Couscous on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    MSNBC producer:

Isn't it being paid by Trump despite being campaign expenses precisely what makes it an illegal campaign expense?

No. It's Trump's campaign and candidates can contribute as much of their own money as they wish.

Not documenting it is a crime but a lesser and far more common one.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MSNBC producer:

Yes. The only way any of this is legal (for Trump, anyway) is if (a) Trump did not order it, (b) did not know about it, and (c) did not use his own money for it, because we know the expenditure was not reported as it should have been.

And if he conspired with somebody else to break the law, that's a whole other crime in and of itself.

Of course, we have all literally heard an audio recording of Trump (a) ordering it, (b) knowing about it, (c) offering to pay it in cash before hastily being told NO by Cohen and (d) conspiring with his "lawyer" to break the law.

I feel like it's insane that he isn't wearing an orange jumpsuit right now, even knowing the political reality.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Associated Press reports Cohen has been subpoenaed in the investigation into the Trump Foundation.

NY state gets the Trump kids
    SDNY gets Trump
    Mueller left with just Jared, Manafort and Rohrabacher

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It would be legal if it were a personal expenditure instead of being a campaign expenditure paid for by Trump.

Given Cohen's guilty plea, the government presumably has evidence showing that isn't the case

It would also be legal if it were documented as a campaign expenditure.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    MSNBC producer:

Isn't it being paid by Trump despite being campaign expenses precisely what makes it a violation of campaign finance law an illegal campaign expense?

Yes. It makes it an illegal donation from Essential Consulting LLC.

[That he solicited and hid]

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MSNBC producer:

No. It's Trump's campaign and candidates can contribute as much of their own money as they wish.

Even if all they did was fail to document the donation, it's still a crime to intentionally conspire to commit offense or defraud the United States!
    If two or more persons conspire either to commit any offense against the United States, or to defraud the United States, or any agency thereof in any manner or for any purpose, and one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, each shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

It's literally a crime with a potential 5-year prison sentence, and that doesn't even take into account any of the other shit he's pulled.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    PantsB wrote: »

NY state gets the Trump kids
    SDNY gets Trump
    Mueller left with just Jared, Manafort and Rohrabacher

It'd be amusing if once Mueller finishes, nobody is left. So, while the Right has been trying to disparage his investigation this whole time, he has just been a smokescreen for all these other cases to railroad the felons.

And he rides out to the sunset saying, "That's how you play 25d chess, mf'ers!" and opens his investigation folder and it reads: "Couldn't find anything".

Rhah on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    MSNBC producer:

Even if all they did was fail to document the donation, it's still a crime to intentionally conspire to commit offense or defraud the United States!
    If two or more persons conspire either to commit any offense against the United States, or to defraud the United States, or any agency thereof in any manner or for any purpose, and one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, each shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

It's literally a crime with a potential 5-year prison sentence, and that doesn't even take into account any of the other shit he's pulled.

Indeed, the whole 'its not a crime' defence is for when you give $10000 of your own money to your campaign to help with paying for some TV commercials and forget to declare it. If you talk to someone and they say, "We've got to make this payoff ASAP or the public will find out about your affairs and you'll never win the election!" and you pay with your own money then the defence doesn't work.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I mean we've got the whole Russia conspiracy, we've got obstruction of justice, we've got conspiracy to defraud the US/commit offense, abuse of power (all his hotels and using Mar a Lago for access)...

If Trump wasn't being protected by his own party, there are a shitload of crimes he's dead to rights on.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I mean we've got the whole Russia conspiracy, we've got obstruction of justice, we've got conspiracy to defraud the US/commit offense, abuse of power (all his hotels and using Mar a Lago for access)...

If Trump wasn't being protected by his own party, there are a shitload of crimes he's dead to rights on.

And we must remember this moment. In reality, we wont impeach Trump, and the best we will ever do is regain control of the government. The instant we do, Trump goes on trial. We CANNOT afford to 'let it slip for national unity' again. He must be punished, and he must go to jail. I don't care if its 20 years from now and the man is 99. I want him, and his whole family, in federal prison.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

This needs to break the republican party, the mistake in 1974 was to let the same people stay in charge when they were complicit of the crimes.

Maybe it will happen anyway since it seems like a lot of young leadership is retiring this year, but I want organizational blood in the streets.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Cohen getting guilty verdicts is good, great even, but it's possible because he isn't protected by politics. It's not nothing, but it isn't going to save the Republic.

The only thing that will do that is if enough people agree that what Trump and Cohen did was so wrong that they will vote for people who will void that political armor.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Cohen getting guilty verdicts is good, great even, but it's possible because he isn't protected by politics. It's not nothing, but it isn't going to save the Republic.

The only thing that will do that is if enough people agree that what Trump and Cohen did was so wrong that they will vote for people who will void that political armor.

It might discourage other white wealthy non-political untouchables from wanting to get anywhere near him going forward. That's not a bad thing.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Trump's Yelp review style tweet today about how bad of a lawyer Cohen is was the most unintentional piece of comedy I've seen come out of this. I laughed for a few minutes straight. I'd stop then just start laughing again.

I really needed it. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The idea of oh I’m not gonna talk because it’s a perjury trap is so offensive

You’re our fucking President

You answer to us

There is significant evidence you’ve committed crimes and you’re going to submit to questioning about those crimes like any other citizen in this circumstance

This isn’t about trapping Trump in some kind of technicality leading to impeachment—as if we didn’t have about 35 separate grounds for that anyway—it’s about how Trump is a public servant and therefore accountable to the people.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Where the hell were these assholes two fucking years ago?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Who? New York State or the AP? Because I'm pretty sure the answer to both is 'White collar crime is not a crime!'

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Schneiderman was apparently being blackmailed over the shit that got him fired.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

And we must remember this moment. In reality, we wont impeach Trump, and the best we will ever do is regain control of the government. The instant we do, Trump goes on trial. We CANNOT afford to 'let it slip for national unity' again. He must be punished, and he must go to jail. I don't care if its 20 years from now and the man is 99. I want him, and his whole family, in federal prison.

Except for Barron and Tiffany. They don’t seem to be mixed up in any of this. The rest of them seem to be a pack of criminals, just like dear old Dad.

This discussion has been closed.