Options

[Michael Cohen] Cohen cooperating conditionally, could connect POTUS

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Maybe they'll refer any charges against Kushner to the NJ Attorney General for old times sake.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

Associated Press reports Cohen has been subpoenaed in the investigation into the Trump Foundation.

Where the hell were these assholes two fucking years ago?

Schneiderman was apparently being blackmailed over the shit that got him fired.

Speaking of: would such a subpoena allow the NYAG to ask Cohen about that? Or do questions have to be within some narrowly defined scope?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Associated Press reports Cohen has been subpoenaed in the investigation into the Trump Foundation.

Who? New York State or the AP? Because I'm pretty sure the answer to both is 'White collar crime is not a crime!'

New York State. The Washington Post chronicled their investigations of the Trump Foundation and it was clear from the beginning it's a sham charity.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I mean we've got the whole Russia conspiracy, we've got obstruction of justice, we've got conspiracy to defraud the US/commit offense, abuse of power (all his hotels and using Mar a Lago for access)...

If Trump wasn't being protected by his own party, there are a shitload of crimes he's dead to rights on.

And we must remember this moment. In reality, we wont impeach Trump, and the best we will ever do is regain control of the government. The instant we do, Trump goes on trial. We CANNOT afford to 'let it slip for national unity' again. He must be punished, and he must go to jail. I don't care if its 20 years from now and the man is 99. I want him, and his whole family, in federal prison.

Except for Barron and Tiffany. They don’t seem to be mixed up in any of this. The rest of them seem to be a pack of criminals, just like dear old Dad.

Well yes, clearly only those who are old enough to be legally responsible for crimes or those who have spoken to Trump in the last 2 years.

Although, now Melania is off the hook! Marital strife burn!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Who? New York State or the AP? Because I'm pretty sure the answer to both is 'White collar crime is not a crime!'

New York State. The Washington Post chronicled their investigations of the Trump Foundation and it was clear from the beginning it's a sham charity.

So, yeah. The unremarked truth is that they just don't pursue white collar crimes because it doesn't play as well toward the electorate that sees themselves as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

All this Manafort/Cohen/Trump stuff won't sustain itself. So enjoy it while it lasts.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So Lanny Davis says Cohen was witness to a discussion wherein Trump knew about the emails before they were publicly released.

The problem here is that it's Lanny Davis and Michael Cohen.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So Lanny Davis says Cohen was witness to a discussion wherein Trump knew about the emails before they were publicly released.

And cohen. Like if there was any proof to that effect, we would be golden. But yeah these two? not trusting a thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

And cohen. Like if there was any proof to that effect, we would be golden. But yeah these two? not trusting a thing.

It's Cohen so I 100% believe he recorded the conversation on video with the camera pointed directly at Trump's face.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I absolutely believe Trump knew about the emails and that Cohen can prove it. Just because he might have something to gain doesn’t mean it is immediately untrustworthy, particularly when he’s biting the hand that used to feed.

I’m not saying we should be credulous of every claim, just the credible ones. It’s probably that Mueller already has the proof though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah this is a bridge too far. Too high up on the chain for Cohen to have knowledge let alone a recording of it. If such a thing existed we'd have known about it before now. This is just Cohen and Davis getting their names on tv.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Nah this is a bridge too far. Too high up on the chain for Cohen to have knowledge let alone a recording of it. If such a thing existed we'd have known about it before now. This is just Cohen and Davis getting their names on tv.

If it was going to be anyone, it would have been Cohen, or Vlad himself.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's Cohen so I 100% believe he recorded the conversation on video with the camera pointed directly at Trump's face.

With this yahoo I feel like it would actually be a shaky video of the ground and then finally Cohen’s face as he realizes he was accidentally filing and quickly shuts it off, followed by a cut to a previously recorded video of Cohen playing “Star Wars” in his garage with a golf club as a pretend light saber.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

If Cohen has proof then it was probably already grabbed in the raid of his office.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Cohen cooperating is valuable even if he doesn’t bring new information. All the tapes are not slam dunks until one of the people on the tapes says “this was made on this date; I made it; the other voice is X, whom I had called. We discussed y and my understanding of the conversation having known x for a long time was z”. It makes the tapes unimpeachable

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »

If Cohen has proof then it was probably already grabbed in the raid of his office.

I forgot about this! So much to keep track of!

Yeah, Mueller likely has everything.

I still think corroborating testimony from Cohen is beneficial, however, "Yes, that's me on the tape speaking to the president."

e- Damn it, hedge!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Politico has a piece up that references how Trump treats his employees when he thinks they’re no longer loyal to him.
    Res, meanwhile, was the Trump Tower construction manager. A few years after that, working to refurbish the Plaza Hotel after Trump paid far too much for it, she up and quit—unwilling any longer to take Trump’s explosive moods and turbulent treatment. In her 2013 book, All Alone on the 68th Floor, she recounted an especially unnerving experience as she installed some cut-rate marble. “Donald took one look at this marble and started screaming at me,” she wrote. “He was shaking. ‘You did this,’ he said. ‘You bought this cheap shit and now you are making me look like a jerk. You’re no fucking good.’ I said, ‘Look, Donald, this is the marble you approved. It was cheap, you wanted to save money. Don’t blame me.’ It was like pouring gasoline on a fire. His face was red. His mouth was all twisted and I thought to myself, if he hits you, just take a fall. I did think he was going to hit me.” Res has been a steady Trump critic since he announced his presidential candidacy. Trump once responded by calling her “nasty.”

So basically the worst manager you ever had? He’s the President now.

But the point is that he does not feel like he has to be silent if someone does not display unwavering, unquestioning loyalty to him (and the loyalty is rarely, if ever, reciprocated). Au contraire, lashing out at perceived traitors is second nature to him.

Which makes his (relative) silence on Cohen’s public betrayal... deafening.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Stuff like the contruction of Trump Tower and Cohen's dealings with the cab medallion racket makes me wonder how much of the NYC real estate market and other hotbeds of corruption could be torn down by leads from this SDNY case

I'm not holding my breath but I bet at least a few more cases come out of this

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Cohen cooperating is valuable even if he doesn’t bring new information. All the tapes are not slam dunks until one of the people on the tapes says “this was made on this date; I made it; the other voice is X, whom I had called. We discussed y and my understanding of the conversation having known x for a long time was z”. It makes the tapes unimpeachable

This is a good point, and probably why he was still able to cut a deal.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Stuff like the contruction of Trump Tower and Cohen's dealings with the cab medallion racket makes me wonder how much of the NYC real estate market and other hotbeds of corruption could be torn down by leads from this SDNY case

All of it. The NY real estate industry, from what has been said, is basically built on money laundering.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

It's a problem of scale. Just as they talk of banks being "too big to fail", you reach a point where, practically speaking, there's neither the resources nor the will to conduct a thorough, no-tolerance purge of [X], where [X] is an industry literally built on corruption, illegal labor practices, etc etc. Where do you even start?... and if you did, somehow, manage to actually do it, the whole thing would just collapse without all the crime propping it up. (see also, agriculture in this most countries.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

It's a problem of scale. Just as they talk of banks being "too big to fail", you reach a point where, practically speaking, there's neither the resources nor the will to conduct a thorough, no-tolerance purge of [X], where [X] is an industry literally built on corruption, illegal labor practices, etc etc. Where do you even start?... and if you did, somehow, manage to actually do it, the whole thing would just collapse without all the crime propping it up. (see also, agriculture in this most countries.)

Also it might literally destroy the New York economy, if I correctly recall an interview from Pod Save America.

That's right, real estate crime in NYC is 'too big to fail'.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Also it might literally destroy the New York economy, if I correctly recall an interview from Pod Save America.

Eh, you just do it one step at a time, focusing on the most recent crimes and forgiving past criminals who cooperate. Too big to fail just means too big to burn down, not too big to control.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

That's what I was trying to get at, yes. Thank you.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Eh, you just do it one step at a time, focusing on the most recent crimes and forgiving past criminals who cooperate. Too big to fail just means too big to burn down, not too big to control.

That assumes that the market isn't heavily dependent on crime in order to exist at all in its current form.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Again, see all of the businesses that literally depend on illegal workers paid below-minimum-wage, under the table, for jobs that Americans don't actually want to do.

It might be possible to construct some version of the NYC real estate market that isn't based around crime, but I'm not sure what it would look like, and you'd pretty much have to tear it all down to the foundation and start over. And then zealously weed, or you'll just wind up with the same thing in ten or twenty or fifty years.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Again, see all of the businesses that literally depend on illegal workers paid below-minimum-wage, under the table, for jobs that Americans don't actually want to do.

It might be possible to construct some version of the NYC real estate market that isn't based around crime, but I'm not sure what it would look like, and you'd pretty much have to tear it all down to the foundation and start over. And then zealously weed, or you'll just wind up with the same thing in ten or twenty or fifty years.

Not just New York, but London, Vancouver, San Fran, and so on.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Recent events have made it hard to ignore just how incredibly corrupt the Western culture is.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    jothki wrote: »

That assumes that the market isn't heavily dependent on crime in order to exist at all in its current form.

Yes. The whole point of saying NYC real estate is dependant on crime is that the industry depends on people pouring money into it to launder said money in order to keep going. Trump is deeply entrenched in the seediest end of this because no one else would give him money.

This is not really unique to NYC either and manifests itself in a bunch of cities around the western world.

shryke on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Recent events have made it hard to ignore just how incredibly corrupt the Western culture is.

I hate to break it to you, but Eastern Culture(whatever that is) also isn't doing too great.

The human condition is kind of a bag of dicks right now.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Trump on F&F saying that what Cohen is doing (i.e. flipping) should be illegal because it's just not fair.

I'm paraphrasing but not really.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Odds on Trump trying to pass a 'Snitches get Stitches' law?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Trump on F&F saying that what Cohen is doing (i.e. flipping) should be illegal because it's just not fair.

Right now? Guy was tweeting at 1 AM. That is not enough sleep.

Quid on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Right now? Guy was tweeting at 1 AM. That is not enough sleep.

They taped the interview earlier Wednesday.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    He said what Cohen is doing is called flipping and “flipping” “almost ought to be illegal”.

Viskod on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    He said what Cohen is doing is called flipping and “flipping” “almost ought to be illegal”.

"Who will rid me of this turbulent lawyer?"

• Options
    Yes, let us prohibit criminals from speaking out against their crime bosses.

That would surely lead to a more robust system of justice. Obviously, we do not need testimony from people who know about crimes for the justice system to work.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Goumindong wrote: »

It also helps in the national zeitgeist. I'm seeing headlines all over the national media saying "Cohen implicates Trump" or something along those lines. And for people who aren't either Fox News viewers or spend every waking moment watching this stuff like we do, they just see headlines saying Trump's personal attorney is out there saying "yes Trump knew all this stuff and he's a big super criminal", it does a lot for those middle of the road voters who don't pay attention constantly to every little thing.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

He also said he knows all about it and has had many friends involved in this sort of stuff. (?!)

Here’s the video because honestly the quotes just do not do this mess justice.

Josh is with TPM, but the clip is Fox News.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Trump wrote:
    I know all about flipping. For 30, 40 years I have been watching flippers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azEOeTX1LqM

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

I give them the omerosa treatment. They are human garbage but if they have tapes or hard evidence then I am willing to listen.

This discussion has been closed.