As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I feel like most people go solo about it, but I played as much multi as possible myself. Doing SOSs is fun, at least until the higher end stuff.

• Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    actually started using bow and surprised to see clear times as fast as using long swords

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Can someone explain the insect glaive? What exactly do the extracts enable me to do?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Can someone explain the insect glaive? What exactly do the extracts enable me to do?

red improves your attack, white improves your jump, orange improves your defense (and maybe gives small earplugs?), and green is a heal

you want red at the bare minimum, as without it you're the worst weapon in the history of the universe. i usually grab white and red immediately and then hit orange after a while to extend the timer

not actually sure if there's a particular bonus for having all three. feel like i should know that.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

red improves your attack, white improves your jump, orange improves your defense (and maybe gives small earplugs?), and green is a heal

you want red at the bare minimum, as without it you're the worst weapon in the history of the universe. i usually grab white and red immediately and then hit orange after a while to extend the timer

not actually sure if there's a particular bonus for having all three. feel like i should know that.

There is. Basically if you have all 3 each buff gets better by a few percentage points and it resets the buff timer to 90s.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »

There is. Basically if you have all 3 each buff gets better by a few percentage points and it resets the buff timer to 90s.

How do you get different colors? My understanding is you press R. Trigger to shoot out the kinsect at the enemy. Does he then bring back one randomly or?

• Options
    Spicy Like FlourSpicy Like Flour Registered User regular

How do you get different colors? My understanding is you press R. Trigger to shoot out the kinsect at the enemy. Does he then bring back one randomly or?

It's based on where you hit the monster. I don't know what part corresponds to what color, but I'm sure it's in the hunter's notes

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

If you hit the attacky parts (claws, head usually) you'll get red. If you hit the moving parts (wings, legs usually) you'll get white. If you hit the body in general you'll get orange. Tails are usually green (healing). So it mostly syncs with what you get. Also white is also a general movement buff in addition to jump height.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Also remember to recall the bug to actually get the buff. Otherwise it stays out till its meter is out and who knows what color it could bring back by then.

• Options
    Also remember to recall the bug to actually get the buff. Otherwise it stays out till its meter is out and who knows what color it could bring back by then.

Send out->hit them->pull back->now I have buff woo->send out-pull back->now I have another buff etc.? Keep the buffs on and whack it with the pointy end?

Sound like the basics?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Send out->hit them->pull back->now I have buff woo->send out-pull back->now I have another buff etc.? Keep the buffs on and whack it with the pointy end?

Sound like the basics?

Yep. Aim the bug since the extract depends on what part you hit. Usually, legs/wings are white, head is red, body orange, tails green.

Red changes your animations in addition to the attack buff, which is why it's so important.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Uh. Wait. Doesn't right trigger shoot the pheromone blast? That IS one way of shooting out the kinsect, but that makes the Kinsect repeatedly attack the segment that was hit by the pheromones until it's recalled. Unless the mechanics have changed on the PC. Just pressing Right Trigger alone swings the weapon and marks the segment in front of you for your kinsect to attack. Holding Left Trigger aims, and then you can press Right Trigger to pheromone blast.

I'm pretty sure that holding Left Trigger (to aim) + Y/Triangle shoots the kinsect and holding Left Trigger (to aim) + B/Circle recalls the Kinsect manually. You can also sheathe your weapon (X) to recall the kinsect.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Uh. Wait. Doesn't right trigger shoot the pheromone blast? That IS one way of shooting out the kinsect, but that makes the Kinsect repeatedly attack the segment that was hit by the pheromones until it's recalled. Unless the mechanics have changed on the PC. Just pressing Right Trigger alone swings the weapon and marks the segment in front of you for your kinsect to attack. Holding Left Trigger aims, and then you can press Right Trigger to pheromone blast.

I'm pretty sure that holding Left Trigger (to aim) + Y/Triangle shoots the kinsect and holding Left Trigger (to aim) + B/Circle recalls the Kinsect manually. You can also sheathe your weapon (X) to recall the kinsect.

Yeah, that's the gist of it. Manual launch/recall is fastest for gathering extract usually.

However, when you have pheromone marking out (either by shooting or whacking), the bug will leave behind clouds of stuff each time it hits. Hitting those will cause an explosion that either deals damage and status or heals allies depending on the bug's effect. Using that and the constant dps of the bug flying around on autopilot is how you hit maximum IG output.

Also note that the pheromone swing has mind's eye, and you can combo into it from anything.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    True. I think it also helped i had a very good set for the point i'm at in the game (Artillery 3, Focus 3, Non-elemental, Bludgeonneer & Resentment 2 being the highlights, coupled with the fully upgraded Diablos CB). So surprisingly nasty damage output!

I just crafted that CB and I need to tell you this: You're basically cheating.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I have joined the club of those who have beaten the main story/80 hour tutorial. I went from HR 15 to 28 which is pretty nifty. My weapon spread was about 70% insect glaive, 25% bow, and 5% messing around with other stuff. Both of the former two are pretty amazing, and I'm excited to try out some new stuff now. I definitely prefer the bow to the light bowgun after spending some more time with it -- it's mostly a feel thing, as having cool combos and charge attacks just feels cooler to me than plunking away with the light bowgun. The mines are cool, but the ammo management is a bit of a pain compared to casings. I'll probably give it another spin someday though, at it was still pretty fun overall. The insect glaive always wound up being my "alright let's stop screwing around" weapon for the progression towards the end, but I'm definitely getting comfortable with the bow and can finally spend some time upgrading it again with the story being over.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    @Tcheldor

I don't know what controller you're using so I won't give buttons, but there are two ways to send out the kinsect. One is a melee swing that applies the target marker if it connects, and the other is to aim it and fire a target marker pellet.

If you have the weapon sheathed and press the button for the melee marker it will actually launch the kinsect out in front of you at speed, which is a useful way to get red buff quickly if you're running head first at a large monster to initiate combat.

You should have red + white at all times, red is required as it buffs damage and changes attack animations to hit multiple times. White buffs movement but combos with red to increase the damage buff.

If you get all 3 buffs you can't refresh them, so they will drop off and you must reacquire them. For this reason it can be better to not get orange buff, since you can refresh the red+white timers without them dropping and maintain your attack buff 100% of the fight.

The yellow bar is your kinsect's stamina, note that manually recalling your kinsect gives it a quick stamina boost. If it's stamina is low fire it and immediately recall a few times and you can boost it back to full much quicker than the gradual refill when it isn't active.

The kinsect produces dust clouds when it attacks, when you hit these with your weapon they will trigger. The best dust clouds are blast or healing. If you let a few blast clouds generate in one area then detonate them when the monster is near you can stagger it or knock it down. Healing is useful for small top-offs during a fight.

You can also fire your kinsect target marker to detonate a cloud at range.

When upgrading your kinsect, many consider speed the most important stat as it allows you to generate buffs faster. The pseudocath line is poplar as it causes sever damage, has blast dust and maximizes speed first and then power.

Vaulting is unique to IG and can be very useful, allowing you to attack safely in circumstances where approaching a monster on the ground is very risky. It also allows you to mount monsters much easier. You can air dodge and have two attacks. One sends you moving forward and attacking, the other sends you spinning straight down. The forward attack will launch you back up in the air if the last hit connects, so you can chain these together up to 4 times. After the 4th hit use the other move to smash straight down onto them. You can air dodge inbetween attacks to re-position.

The aerial attacks build up the hidden mounting gauge, when it's high enough your aerial attacks will cause you to mount the monster so you can stab it a bunch and knock it over.

A really important combo to learn: (360 controller) Y + Y + B
    This is an infinite combo you should use whenever a monster is stationary. It's two sets of vertical double hits and then a double horizontal slash (with red buff). As it is infinite you can attack with zero downtime so it's essential for getting the most of a knockdown or trapping a monster.

General speaking you need to hit the head for red buff, legs/wings for white, and body or 'armoured' sections for orange. Tail will usually heal, though some monsters (like Bagel) have red buff tails.

Don't forget to target your kinsect to head/wings/tail to help you break whatever body part you are going for. The damage may seem small but the kinsect really does contribute a decent amount so when it has stamina don't forget to put it in the fight.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I just finished the story too. 120+ hours, hr 15 to 29. Insect glaive 4eva.

Hit the elder dragon wall months ago and got distracted; picked it up today, killed them all and finished it.

• Options
    @rami

thanks. I'll see how it goes :)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Gammoth

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Has anyone read any tips for the Switch game yet? Considering it's been out in Japan.

"Do this particular quest right away because it unlocks some really necessary mechanics," that sort of thing.

Some massive google spreadsheet with all kinds of info?

I don't really know what to expect since the last one I put time into was 4. Does Generations build off a lot of the stuff in that game, like having multiple towns you travel to, recruiting lots of palicos and sending them on quests, etc.? Or did they go back to the drawing board and take a step backward like so many series seem to do.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    True. I think it also helped i had a very good set for the point i'm at in the game (Artillery 3, Focus 3, Non-elemental, Bludgeonneer & Resentment 2 being the highlights, coupled with the fully upgraded Diablos CB). So surprisingly nasty damage output!

Oh, i know. It's great, isn't it?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Has anyone read any tips for the Switch game yet? Considering it's been out in Japan.

"Do this particular quest right away because it unlocks some really necessary mechanics," that sort of thing.

I don't really know what to expect since the last one I put time into was 4. Does Generations build off a lot of the stuff in that game, like having multiple towns you travel to, recruiting lots of palicos and sending them on quests, etc.? Or did they go back to the drawing board and take a step backward like so many series seem to do.

1. not really, you want to unlock farms and the like asap to get healing mats etc but otherwise just play. at HR and G rank in GU you can find valstrax fragments which are used alot (including expanding box inventory space)

2. not sure if theres a spreadsheet, but if its just base generations theres a ton of info out there

3. yes, yes, Gen is an "expansion" of 4U, while world is 5 the sequel. so expect almost all of 4 with added stuff

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I thought Generations was sort of its own thing, if not new then a remix of the rest of the series. Is it just 4U again with more stuff, or did you just mean in terms of mechanics?

I know that in the past MH games have had the basic version and then the ultimate version with more content. Is this one like there was 4, then 4 ultimate, then 4 ultimate with more stuff, then 4 ultimate with more stuff ultimate...?!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I thought Generations was sort of its own thing, if not new then a remix of the rest of the series. Is it just 4U again with more stuff, or did you just mean in terms of mechanics?

I know that in the past MH games have had the basic version and then the ultimate version with more content. Is this one like there was 4, then 4 ultimate, then 4 ultimate with more stuff, then 4 ultimate with more stuff ultimate...?!

sorry, i misspoke, think of it like 4.5. a spinoff game based on same engine

or like, monster hunter 4 "other game". it uses the same engine and everything "feels the same", but it has all diff content

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Ah ok, gotcha.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Wonderful useful thing: Rath-of-Meow (meowltov cocktail gadget related thing) inflicts status damage.

Given your Feylen a Baan Hammer, and watch it lull monsters to sleep with rockets to the face.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Generations builds on palicos even further. Not only are they heavily customizable, you can even play as one. A lot of the palico-related stuff is gated behind prowler quests, so be sure to do those.

Generations does have multiple towns, but there's unfortunately no real plot behind them. You just have a new town and three ones from previous games that you can move between freely, and you do quests to unlock harder quests until the game ends.

• Options
    I believe gaijinhunter has a bunch of tutorial videos about the game and weapons on youtube. If you didn't play generations on the 3ds, it might be worth it as there have been some changes with the addition of different fighting styles that change up the fighting a little bit

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I decided to load up 4U again just for kicks.

I used Greatswords for my most recent playthrough, and my solo playstyle consisted most of luring monsters towards ledges and then repeatedly jump attacking them. It seems like it worked fine, I just managed to take down a Berserk Tetsucabra by myself with G1 equipment in something like 15-20 minutes.

It's weird thinking about how much Generations must have changed the effectiveness of that playstyle. I think mounting thresholds go up way faster?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Prowler is the best and as good as World is I remain disappointed that you can't do it.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I’ve been so close to beating extremoth so many times. I put together a defensive glutton set, and I’ve gotten sort of kind competent at tanking. I can pretty much jump the em 100 percent of the time, too. And I work really hard at positioning behemoth so that everyone else can make it to comets safely!

But it doesn’t matter.

I keep hoping that I’ll luck my way into an hr999 clustergod group, but all of those people have already beat the fight lol.

biscuitbutt81 on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Oh, i know. It's great, isn't it?

What's the armour set made of, out if interest? I was working towards a mix of Nerg/Rathalos to max attack up and get lifedrain (Nerg Hunger) but those skills sound neat.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    I feel like if there was a giant moth monster in Monster Hunter, it'd be called Extremoth

• Options
    I believe gaijinhunter has a bunch of tutorial videos about the game and weapons on youtube. If you didn't play generations on the 3ds, it might be worth it as there have been some changes with the addition of different fighting styles that change up the fighting a little bit

Every time I'm like "this time I'm going 100% hunting horn, gonna be the valued buff guy of the group" and then I just go 100% switch axe instead.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I decided to load up 4U again just for kicks.

I used Greatswords for my most recent playthrough, and my solo playstyle consisted most of luring monsters towards ledges and then repeatedly jump attacking them. It seems like it worked fine, I just managed to take down a Berserk Tetsucabra by myself with G1 equipment in something like 15-20 minutes.

It's weird thinking about how much Generations must have changed the effectiveness of that playstyle. I think mounting thresholds go up way faster?

Well for starters you no longer need ledges if you use Aerial Style.

• Options
    Is playing as cat exactly as effective as any other weapon type? Do 4 players as cats wreck face?

Sorry I have really noob questions now since being gone from MH for a long time.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I have been playing through the story with the bow so far and the other day saw a guy going all Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on a Legianos.

It looked cool as hell, so I looked it up and started messing around with it and now I too am the Hidden Dragon.
    I thought you only upgraded the bug, not the glaive and spent a lot of time with yellow only sharpness until I figured out that no dummy, you upgrade both.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Is playing as cat exactly as effective as any other weapon type? Do 4 players as cats wreck face?

Sorry I have really noob questions now since being gone from MH for a long time.

It requires a little more knowing what you're doing in terms of equipment choices, but yes, cats can very much hold their own. They aren't going to be king dick of damage mountain (that would be Greatsword, generally) without some specific cheese, but even played normally they have a very respectable damage output with a lot of utility.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I like the weapons and monsters in Double Cross. I hate the armours in Double Cross. There are seven billion sets, so a human can't know which skills go where.

Did gaijinhunter ever do a summary for Brave and Alchemy like for the others?

PLA on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    All the Generations talk made me finally go back and archive all my 3ds era outfits.
    6Lc9q32.jpg
    https://imgur.com/a/4Glf8Lu

RIP golden age of fashion.

World needs Shagaru Magala to save it