As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    PLA wrote: »
    I like the weapons and monsters in Double Cross. I hate the armours in Double Cross. There are seven billion sets, so a human can't know which skills go where.

Did gaijinhunter ever do a summary for Brave and Alchemy like for the others?

First page I posted a link to the playlist for the updated weapon tutorials.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Is there a list somewhere of all DLC in MHGU? Like this.

I know in various releases and past years there have been Zelda and Metroid and Palico Chun-Li and Ryu and Animal Crossing and Solid Snake. Is all that in MHGU?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Is there a list somewhere of all DLC in MHGU? Like this.

I know in various releases and past years there have been Zelda and Metroid and Palico Chun-Li and Ryu and Animal Crossing and Solid Snake. Is all that in MHGU?

In Gen we had Fire Emblem, Zelda, Mega Man, Strider, the usual assortment of anime, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Okami, Animal Crossing, Mario, YuGiOh, Metroid, Star Fox, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, and probably a bunch of other ones I can't identify from my list.

It would be reasonable to assume that all of this will be available in GU, plus more (they've already announced BotW stuff). In fact, I guess there's a chance that all of the Gen DLC will be available at launch? They haven't said anything about it AFAIK.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    My body is ready for tomorrow. Trying to make time to play World on PC has made me so damn anxious to have a switch version to play intermittently.

I just wish it was World. Or Monster Hunter Galaxy. Land on thousands of procedurally generated worlds and hunt whatever the fuck is on there. Water Anjanaths! Frosty Rathalos! Fire Legiana!

• Options
    I wish it had Moga Village. But at least all the villages will be new to me. Cool that it has the village from the very first game in it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I’m so stoked for switch launch. I’ll be on a redeye hunting monsters as long as the battery holds

I’m mojojoeo on switch btw. Add me for hunts!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    So I did the quest for two tempered bagels, but they drop the same stuff? I was expecting a delta armour tier or something, is this it for equipment now?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I think you unlock a mantle after that quest...? Not sure. You will definitely start unlocking some new mantles, the next sets of armor you will get is from Kulve, special events, Lunastra and Arch tempered monsters.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    So I did the quest for two tempered bagels, but they drop the same stuff? I was expecting a delta armour tier or something, is this it for equipment now?

If there's tiers above alpha/beta, I haven't seen them, but those streamstones that drop from tempered hunts can be used to increase the upgrade cap on armor once you hit the trigger condition for unlocking augmentations.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    There are also streamstones for weapon and armor augmenting.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Lord help me, I'm actually feeling a bit of an urge to play Generations Ultimate. World keeps making me crave a wider variety of weapons and armor to obsess over. No matter how unhealthy it is.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    @The Zombie Penguin What's the armor set you build for charge blade, out of interest?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    @The Zombie Penguin What's the armor set you build for charge blade, out of interest?

@Kay

My most of high rank set was Diablos Nero Head/Chest/Arms, Dodogoma Waist, and Diablos Booties. Charm was Artillery +1. But the main goals were making sure i had Focus +3 and Artillery +3, as those are big ticket skills for CB. (Or, at least for a fighting style that emphasises dumping SAEDs into your target as regularly as possible). It also gave Bludgoneer and Non-elemental from having the 4 piece diablos set bonus, which in conjunction with the Diablos CB is a big damage boost.

Right now i'm wearing a mix of more endgame armor that gives me Focus + 3, Weakness Exploit +3, Artillery +3, Capacity Boost +1. I've got Non-Elemental as well thanks to a lucky early gem find. All taken from here: https://mhwbuilds.wordpress.com/charge-blade/

This seems to be a pretty damn good resource for CB builds - I agree with a lot of the logic, and stuff like Focus +3 makes a small but noticeably difference to the usability of Condensed Elemental Slash/Charged Slash. Side note that Condensed Elemental Slash hits surprisingly hard - it's no SAED, but it's not far off either.

Fair warning that getting all that Diablos armor takes way, way too many horns. It may well be advisable to break horns asap, then return to base so you get the wound rewards, rather than try and farm out the entire fight (Assuming you dont need the other parts, of course). Gold Investigation rewards can also help here

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    In this release did they add any extra special features to Switch axe for obvious reasons?!

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Kay wrote: »
    "The Zombie Penguin" What's the armor set you build for charge blade, out of interest?

Very likely an Artillery Charm with Diablos Nero, and possibly Dodogama Legs for Capacity Boost.

Here is a very thorough guide for end game Charge Blade builds, that includes many alternatives for the PC where some monsters are not yet available: https://mhwbuilds.wordpress.com/charge-blade/

E: Hah, beaten.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    I decided to load up 4U again just for kicks.

I used Greatswords for my most recent playthrough, and my solo playstyle consisted most of luring monsters towards ledges and then repeatedly jump attacking them. It seems like it worked fine, I just managed to take down a Berserk Tetsucabra by myself with G1 equipment in something like 15-20 minutes.

It's weird thinking about how much Generations must have changed the effectiveness of that playstyle. I think mounting thresholds go up way faster?

Well for starters you no longer need ledges if you use Aerial Style.

Aerial Style cripples the mounting damage that you deal, though. At least if you do if through aerial style attacks, does anyone know if ledge and trampoline attacks are as powerful as any other style?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    In this release did they add any extra special features to Switch axe for obvious reasons?!
    If you haven't played Generations yet (I don't remember if you have), Aerial Style Switch Axe is the way and the truth and the light.

I am missing the Zero Sum Discharge attack from MHW, though.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Thanks, @The Zombie Penguin and @Shen!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    If you haven't played Generations yet (I don't remember if you have), Aerial Style Switch Axe is the way and the truth and the light.

I'm kidding because it is Nintendo Switch

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I'm kidding because it is Nintendo Switch

See, the obvious reason in my mind is because SWITCH AXE IS AWESOME!!!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Out of the noob zone now and enjoying getting my ass handed to me by high level monsters. Me and a friend ended up taking down the Pink Rathian last night, my current armor set is a mix of lower end High level gear, sporting the first Zorah heavy bowgun and a few other tier 5 heavy bowguns.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Aerial switch axe was the weapon I used during my limited amount of play in MHG but aerial style was a blast, even if I really didn't know what I was doing in the game overall yet.

I'm very much looking forward to some badass arts for SNS come tomorrow.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    I am watching a video on it...what the heck, no discharge? Except from the air or something? I don't know if I would like that.

• Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Aerial switch axe was the weapon I used during my limited amount of play in MHG but aerial style was a blast, even if I really didn't know what I was doing in the game overall yet.

I'm very much looking forward to some badass arts for SNS come tomorrow.

Chaos Oil.

!!!

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Whats the best way of getting a lot of good investigations on Kirin and Nergigante right now?

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    For Chargeblade you want to also slot in Capacity boost, it's a one point skill that adds an additional phial to your CB.

The biggest diference I found with Switch Axe in MHW is that you can now chain into any part of the axe mode combo anytime, so you can go into infinite swing from any axe attack, and not only from the upswing.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Whats the best way of getting a lot of good investigations on Kirin and Nergigante right now?

run their optionals and pick up tracks

if you're talking about tempereds, then try and find somebody doing an SOS and again, get tracks. if you have one of them let them run around for as long as you can before you have to kill them before the mission ends, periodically using ghille mantle to get tracks from them

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Chaos Oil looks so anime.

• Options
    Kushala Daora is the most garbage unfun fight I've ever seen in a video game.

Not particularly dangerous, but 80% of the time you can't hit him because as soon as you reach melee range you get knocked back automatically. It's the only quest I've ever failed due to hitting a 50 minute time limit and then walking away with nothing. Even if I bring a sealing weapon I can't apply it because I can't hit him with it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Not particularly dangerous, but 80% of the time you can't hit him because as soon as you reach melee range you get knocked back automatically. It's the only quest I've ever failed due to hitting a 50 minute time limit and then walking away with nothing. Even if I bring a sealing weapon I can't apply it because I can't hit him with it.

Flash pods. 3 of them and 10 flashbugs to make more. He can't repel you when he's writhing on the ground helpless.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So I played the hell outta XX when it came out in Japan. Still gonna pick up MHGU when it comes out to play more with friends.

My friend code is: 0715-8838-4585

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

In Generations, you can use Aerial Style to vault off its feet or tail, flip it off to its face in the air, followed by smashing a charged greatsword into its skull on the way down. It is the sweetest revenge.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Kushala Daora wasn't too bad for me (as insect glaive) the first time around. I managed to get him without any deaths, and have still been too lazy to use a single flashpod in my game. I wasn't a huge fan of fighting Vaal Hazak though, as it was always hard to tell when his vapor was going to effluvium me. It seemed like he was oozing it pretty often and it had no effect with me wailing on him, then suddenly I had half health and was bleeding additional health like crazy due to the effect. I wound up carting 2 times so didn't have to restart, but it was harder to read than I would have liked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018

headsniping is key

also greatsword

i can post a vid of a super solid GS run if you want to see how to abuse tackles to get thru wind

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The trick to fighting Kushala Daora is to use an Insect Glaive. And also to be playing a game other than World. The IG's vault seems to ignore the wind barrier entirely.

• Options
    I do use IG, and it is World.

Vaulting attacks definitely didn't work any better, I'd just get flinched out of the attack animation about 1cm away from making contact.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Weirdly, I have found Kushala way more approachable in World than in previous games. I just run in and half the time I can get most of a combo off before getting bounced back. I don't think I've used more than 3 or 4 flashbombs at the absolute most in a fight with it.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm interested in alchemy-sns, but I want to hit things with shield.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Isn't it the Wind pressure skill that lets you ignore a lot of Kushala's silliness?

I found her to be pretty straightforward to take down with LS and a few flash bombs.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Data transferred. My body is ready. Hurry up 4pm.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills