As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I just

How did this even happen

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    clearly, their guns will be ineffective and they will be saved by Mila wielding some crazy great sword who then shows them the power of monster parts

One can hope. But still afraid they just power bullets with unobtainum from the monster world.

• Options
    The movie I want to see requires scenes like shoving bugs or plants into bullet casings tho.

Also a rough looking cat chef feeding Mila 20 lbs of steak.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    a second giant monster approaches.
    Mila gives soldier a giant handful of poop
    "Use this"

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Apparently the director is taking inspiration from the sand ships and the giant desert sea. The soldiers will end up in monster hunter world via a portal, and they will be taking the fight back through the portal to LA or something.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    Like, obviously I'm an idiot or whatever, but I really don't understand why they couldn't just start in a world with monsters that needed to be hunted and go from that point. Having this portal to another world horseshit is a dumb cliche, second only to "it was all a dreaaaaaaam" (which I guess this movie could also potentially do).

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ugh. Just... ugh. Go with generic fantasy tropes and you're 90% there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So I've only played Tri and World. Both stories involve a seasoned vet travelling to a remote area as Monster Hunting backup while an ecological mystery unfolds in the plot.

Could they not just do that? Cut out most middle monsters as side characters but feature Zorah appearance, Zorah repel, Nergi, then Xeno.

Ore from Zorah upgrade, then Nergi spike upgrade, then Xeno. Roll credits.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    navgoose wrote: »
    So I've only played Tri and World. Both stories involve a seasoned vet travelling to a remote area as Monster Hunting backup while an ecological mystery unfolds in the plot.

Could they not just do that? Cut out most middle monsters as side characters but feature Zorah appearance, Zorah repel, Nergi, then Xeno.

Ore from Zorah upgrade, then Nergi spike upgrade, then Xeno. Roll credits.

The thing that we don't need certainly is a bunch of marines with assault rifles.

Maybe a single covert supersoldier and his talking cat friend, though...
    image_thumb124.png

wl79faiez664.jpg

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    They should have just given the license to the team that did Batman Ninja. MonHun is practically vanilla compared to that.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Apparently the director is taking inspiration from the sand ships and the giant desert sea.

So he played the first five minutes of 4U and figured that was enough research?

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    its going to be an action packed gun-cada thingy like the resident evil moves have turned into

thats not a bad thing

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    its going to be an action packed gun-cada thingy like the resident evil moves have turned into

thats not a bad thing

Maybe. But I ain't spending money in a theatre unless there's 1) cats and 2) somebody eats a fireball while trying to sharpen and gives goodbye speech between whetstone stroke 3 and 4.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I feel like I'm going to have to come down on the side of the director here. If you played monster hunter straight it would only really work as an anime or an animated cg film. You can't do a live action monster hunter and not basically make it a weird kids film.

I don't really see the problem with making it a portal. Or just having a slightly different take on the idea.

I'm not saying it will be good, it just doesn't really bother me that they're turning it into a more general "people hunt monsters in a crazy setting" concept, than going line by line and adhering strictly to the games universe

I can also understand why they're hesitant to go full fantasy with it. Firstly, that's more expensive in terms of costuming and sets, you have to create an entirely new world for every scene of your film, not just the money shots when they go through the portal. That's a lot of cg and a lot of production costs

Also monster hunter just isn't a big enough series to have a movie with that kind of budget. Secondly, full fantasy films are super risky, even with massive brand recognition. And as big as monster hunter is in Japan and how successful the most recent one has been, it's still a massive risk to go full fantasy world.

It would be interesting if they took that risk, but I personally think hedging their bets here is the right call from their perspective. If it were my money I'd be very worried about going full fantasy world, even though as a fan I'd be more interested in seeing the full fantasy version

I mean Warcraft failed spectacularly. Warcraft. With all that brand recognition behind it. Full cg and costume fantasy world Monster Hunter would be a massive risk. Ballsy, but a massive risk

Prohass on
  • Options
    Oh I am fully aware they looked at the estimated CGI cost of playing the franchise straight and compared that to their actual budget.

• Options

thats not a bad thing

I mean honestly the source material kind of demands a lot of over the top action. People use arm slings to climb on and fight giant monsters. I think slow mo shots and cool landing poses won't be out of place here

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Prohass wrote: »

thats not a bad thing

I mean honestly the source material kind of demands a lot of over the top action. People use arm slings to climb on and fight giant monsters. I think slow mo shots and cool landing poses won't be out of place here

People don't even use that, they just jump (aerial style) or pole vault (IG) and start hacking away.

I'll reserve judgement until I see a trailer, but I just worry about modern guns. Because honestly, those actually would be effective against a Rathian or such. It wouldn't be any different from a LBG with rapid normal basically?

But... desert means the likely endgame is Mohran. Granted, it's well suited to playing the kaiju role.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    I dunno, every monster being able to withstand bullets isn't a stretch, most movies with monsters have that trope

• Options
    I dunno, every monster being able to withstand bullets isn't a stretch, most movies with monsters have that trope

I mean that we won't get to see MH weapons because it's not really a stretch for .50 cal ammo to be hitting as hard or harder than normal shots. There's not a whole lot of disbelief to suspend there.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    When they first announced it, I remember they said it took place in NYC of all places, and that portals were involved.

The last RE movie had action sure, but it was just bad. Not even funny bad.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm going to have to come down on the side of the director here. If you played monster hunter straight it would only really work as an anime or an animated cg film. You can't do a live action monster hunter and not basically make it a weird kids film.

Why not? If you want to make a relatively low budget Monster Hunter movie that isn't a kids thing, look at what Reign of Fire did and riff on that. Compensate for a low budget with good writing! If you can't afford to have many fights, make a movie about the characters instead of the monsters.

Not that Reign of Fire had a particularly great plot, but I'd love to see what the team that made that could do with Monster Hunter.

• Options
    I have to wonder how much "you can't do X, the audience won't accept it!" logic is just Hollywood going "we've not tried it yet, so it doesn't work / the last time we tried it it didn't work so it's the fault of the concept, not that one movie". And then someone tries it with a good movie and it's super successful because it's not The Same Movie We've Seen A Million Times and now it's fine of course everyone always knew Guardians of the Galaxy was a safe bet.

Just make a good damned movie, that's what audiences want, fuck this "X genre would never work" bullshit.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I don't think that's the sole reason, I think it's literally that if you set it in our world cg and costume and general production costs go way down. If you have like even 40% of the movie in our world that's a huge cost saving. Guardians of the galaxy has marvel money behind it, this doesnt

Also im not sure what you mean with reign of fire? I mean that wasn't a different world either, it was generic our world apocalypse with dragons. This is generic our world with another dimension. Which works because a big part of the monster hunter world thing is the environment, so if you want the cost saving of setting it in our world, but also the exotic locales kind of idea, a portal makes sense

Having the portal to another world may work as a way of having the characters be audience surrogates. It may genuinely be that the director and co think this is the best way to have a monster hunter story.

Prohass on
  • Options
    It may genuinely be that the director&co are hacks.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Glal wrote: »
    It may genuinely be that the director&co are hacks.

Except historically he's tried his best to treat the source material with respect while also sticking to a budget, he did this with mortal kombat and resident evil (and hell even aliens v predator) in my opinion, there's no real reason to think he is intentionally being a hack. Most of the silliness of his resident evil films are almost shot for shot silliness from the games

Prohass on
  • Options
    If he Mortal Kombats it cool. If it gets AvP I'll be grumpy. If Resident Eviled I'll wait for it to hit basic cable.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited about this news. I love Milla so very much.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    [edit] Point.

Glal on
  • Options
    hey how about we keep goosey opinions about what types of movies people like out of this thread, yeah?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Good hunts yesterday, @IceBurner. My wife enjoyed hers as well!

• Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    High rank, I’m in you. Just need Bazel to quit eating my odogarons. ~.~

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Good hunts yesterday, @IceBurner. My wife enjoyed hers as well!
    A good time was had by all!
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Maybe a single covert supersoldier and his talking cat friend, though...
    Fun trivia:
    - Kojima's team created the Peace Walker models of Tigrex and Rathalos, and used them to great effect when making the pitch for the crossover.
    - Naked Snake is able to BBQ rations on Isla del Monstruo.
    - The reciprocal crossover meant MHP3rd got Naked Snake and The Boss armors, as well as a sneaking suit for your Palicos (became a cardboard box while crouched).
    - There's a monster unique to Peace Walker, Gear REX, the "Nuclear Dragon":
    rphjlmrmlc4f.png

I was having trouble deciding on ice dual blades. Found a MHGU damage calculator application. Tested all the ice DB's with many combinations of boosts on various ice-weak monsters and hit locations. Results were surprising:

Differences between DB's flattens when not hitting weak spots; while the weakest remain so, the average meets the top.
    Snow Sabers and Hi Twin Blades are easy to make, have adequate sharpness, 1 or 3 slots, and are always top damage output in every situation involving an ice-vunlerable monster
    Cool Cleavers are above-average.
    Twin Nails may be above-average with enough Blast procs.
    The below-average Giaprey Claws jump to near-top damage output with Sharpness+2 (and white sharpness makes them usable outside low rank).
    Gelid Mind jumps near the top with Element Atk Up and Ice Atk+2, or with Repeat Offender; that said it needs Sharpness+2 or Fencing to not bounce.
    Giant's Daggers are always on the border between top and average.
    Blackhare DB's are firmly average.
    Snow Venom is below average. Ice + poison might be good on Diablos.
    Elderfrost and Ukanlos DB's hang out at the bottom with Pokke Mittens.
    Everything else ends up in a close middle range.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    TIL that putting the Bladescale ability (your weapons sharpen after N evades like they were Seregios weapons) on an Aerial build feels great. It's not EASY (decent 3-slot pieces of equipment are hard to find), but I found a way to make it work and am now rocking a set with that, Razor Sharp, Stamina Recovery Up, and Negate Stun and I think I love it. Fought two Kirin with PUGs using a maxed-out Akhtl-Ka weapon and never fell below white sharpness. <3

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Advent wrote: »
    High rank, I’m in you. Just need Bazel to quit eating my odogarons. ~.~

Two words: Dung Pods.

I hope you've been grabbing all that poop.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Given the somewhat poor sharpness values on most weapons, Seregios weapons or Bladescale feel almost essential in Gen and GU.

Then again I've only been satisfied with sharpness values in MH1 and 3, and 3U. They've felt deliberately poor in every other classic MH.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    MH1 only had green yellow and red tho?

and tri had the dumb only ala and jho weps get purple making them by far the best weps in game?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    MH1 only had green yellow and red tho?

and tri had the dumb only ala and jho weps get purple making them by far the best weps in game?

Thought that some Narga weapons naturally had purple too? Or was that just TriU?

EDIT: Checked Ping's dex (since I still have it on my desktop...). As far as duals go, only maxed-out Lucent Narga, Miralis, and the Bushido DLC weapon that I don't think the west ever got had natural purple. Looks like Lucent weapons always get it and most Miralis ones, and maybe one or two other weapons in an entire class does, but it's kind of random which? Like... for Long Sword it's the Rathian line for some reason?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Narga and Tiggy werent in vanilla Tri, only 3U added em

J3qcnBP.png