As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Oh no, I found a website where you can order those while living in not japan. I wonder how bad the shipping is gonna be, they don't give estimates on preorders.
    @NEO|Phyte You wouldn't care to share that link, would you? Asking for reasons of assembling a Dodogama army.
    https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=GOODS-00255449

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Been dipping my toes back in since I dont have Spider-man to distract me, compared to last weeks attempt that took me 3 tries and 45 minutes to actually kill her, this one went much better.

One faint only due to a mistimed dodge after a nova but otherwise a smooth (albeit if slow, my Anti AT Luna lance is specced for resist+defense) hunt.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Playing through the campaign for MH:W for the first time. I currently am on the stage where you kill Rathalos and Diablos. Rathalos was actually easy, once I figured out that he made his nest near a water dam.

Diablos.... well he’s a bit harder. I’ve failed numerous attempts, but this game is so good, instead of throwing the mouse in disgust and walking away, I spent a few more hours harvesting/killing stuff and improving my armour.

Ah. Yes. This is when one joins the lance bros.

I dunno, I had an easier time with Diablos then rathalos solo. That is with me being a dirty bow user. I would recomend trying to jump on the event arena quest he is in to get his moves down.I think he is fairly predictable

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Is the HR8 Diablos urgent quest a G-Rank Diablos? That was one hell of a fight.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Playing through the campaign for MH:W for the first time. I currently am on the stage where you kill Rathalos and Diablos. Rathalos was actually easy, once I figured out that he made his nest near a water dam.

Diablos.... well he’s a bit harder. I’ve failed numerous attempts, but this game is so good, instead of throwing the mouse in disgust and walking away, I spent a few more hours harvesting/killing stuff and improving my armour.

Ah. Yes. This is when one joins the lance bros.

I dunno, I had an easier time with Diablos then rathalos solo. That is with me being a dirty bow user. I would recomend trying to jump on the event arena quest he is in to get his moves down.I think he is fairly predictable

Diablos doesn't have a ton of attacks. They just hit hard and hit a wide area due to how big they are. A lot of them come in pairs too so if you get stunned and then hit there's a good chance you're being hit again. Once you know to wait out that second swing of a head or tail, he's a lot easier to read. He'll still be really annoying when he enrages and does nothing but burrow and charge for two minutes straight though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, managed to down Diablos!!!

.... by joining a group with a OP guy who was tanking the damn thing, while I ran around screaming. I did contribute by screamer podding him when he burrowed, and actually managed to mount him.

Well, a kill is a kill, and just like Aganath, I should be able to kill him easier as I gain more experience.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    MHGU:

So, I am wrapping up the Advanced Quests in the Village. There are the usual rotating Elder Dragons (Kushala Daora, Teostra, Chameleos). They give G-rank parts, so I'm assuming they are G-rank with reduced health. They are pretty much the same fights from the previous games, although I swear they use a different VFX for Daora's and Teostra's breath weapons. They look more... solid. Kushala is a pushover with Wind Res (Hi) and Flash Bombs. Teostra, not so much, but with the Soaratorium armor skill (which gives Biology, which makes you immune to Blast), it's a bit easier. I should have slotted in Fire Res.

That left Gold and Silver. I steeled myself for a gritty arena battle fighting both simultaneously (like previous Monster Hunter games). To my surprise, it was the Ruined Pinnacle area, which meant you can fight them separately. Dung Bombs easily separate them, and they both can be captured, so it was significantly easier than I expected.

auuz26mnab76.jpg

w0gpm1u9p73o.jpg

Aaaaand, that's all the Village Quests! Now to move on to the Hub quests and the Deviants.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Is the HR8 Diablos urgent quest a G-Rank Diablos? That was one hell of a fight.

Not exactly, but not far off either. G-Rank Diablos is going to hit harder and have more health, but your weapons/armor are going to be upgraded so it won't feel that different. He doesn't gain any more speed (that I noticed), but does have a slightly different move coming out of the ground and has the double head swing instead of the single.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about Chameleos, Daora, and (I assume) Teostra in GU is the fact that their respective GR armors have multi-skills that call out how they hose each other. Chameleos literally has an "AntiDaora" skill (presumably windproof/status?), and Daora has "AntiTeostra". I have fought Teostra yet but I'd be surprised if it didn't offer anti-Chameleos tech...

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I only need like 4 super rare rustrazor parts to unlock the X skill which gives all of my Lances the seregios weapon skill.

I need to play some MHGU this weekend.

I am also finding it super hard to get excited enough about AT to log into world.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    I only need like 4 super rare rustrazor parts to unlock the X skill which gives all of my Lances the seregios weapon skill.

I am also finding it super hard to get excited enough about AT to log into world.

I'm up for helping if my power company will let me. Turns out a lot of trees in my area weren't ready for Michael's winds yesterday.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

I'm up for helping if my power company will let me. Turns out a lot of trees in my area weren't ready for Michael's winds yesterday.

I can prob do a little Saturday but definitely Sunday so hit me up.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      man , pink rathian was a huge step up in difficulty . managed to get it playing fairly conservatively. still carted twice when he chained me, but pulled it off.

camo_sig.png
    • Options
      KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
      Pink Rathian's double-somersault catches people out if they don't know about it! She's a very tough cookie to the uninitiated.

The thing I like most about MonHun is how monsters that seemed RIDICULOUSLY HARD when you first fight them become so much easier once you learn how to fight them, it's great.

YOU level up, not your character.

ew9y0DD.png
      3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    • Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Kay wrote: »
      Pink Rathian's double-somersault catches people out if they don't know about it! She's a very tough cookie to the uninitiated.

The thing I like most about MonHun is how monsters that seemed RIDICULOUSLY HARD when you first fight them become so much easier once you learn how to fight them, it's great.

YOU level up, not your character.

Double saults are a normal Rathia thing, not added to pink.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      Standard Rathian does it so rarely, though, and only when enraged, I thought? Pink seems to do it every three steps.

ew9y0DD.png
    • Options
      Kay wrote: »
      Standard Rathian does it so rarely, though, and only when enraged, I thought? Pink seems to do it every three steps.

Pretty sure pink is still only while enraged.

How consistently normal rathian does it varies game to ge I feel, and with rank?

• Options
      It wasn't the Sault that got me it was some sort of shoulder tackle that she kept doing after it knocked me down so I would start getting up then get knocked down until I fainted

camo_sig.png
    • Options
      NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      It wasn't the Sault that got me it was some sort of shoulder tackle that she kept doing after it knocked me down so I would start getting up then get knocked down until I fainted
      My friend calls that the pacer test, it's part of the Rath Tax. If it's the one I'm thinking it is, it's two short little charges, then a third that ends with a lunging bite. All impeccably timed to catch you multiple times if it catches you at all.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
      Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    • Options

If you don't hammer buttons to get up, you'll stay down and her second charge will wiff (assuming you end up knocked down). It's been so long since I fought Rathian for the first time most of my actions are kinda ingrained muscle memory now. I'll try and pay more attention next time.

ew9y0DD.png
    • Options
      DacDac Registered User regular
      Steam: catseye543
      PSN: ShogunGunshow
      Origin: ShogunGunshow
    • Options
      Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
      I need to relearn the old SWAGAXE controls. Back to tutorial videos for move sets. Ughhh.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    • Options
      darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
      On vacation and sad that I am missing the fall fest events on PC, though I understand that as more events come out previous ones end up available during that event too?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    • Options
      NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      darkmayo wrote: »
      On vacation and sad that I am missing the fall fest events on PC, though I understand that as more events come out previous ones end up available during that event too?

yup, the only thing you'll miss out on is the event specific tickets for the seasonal armor/layered version & palico gear from dailies/login bonuses. but you'll get another shot for those specifically next year

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • Options
      speeaking of event stuff. does the palico armor really make a difference other than with aesthetics? i have noticed differences with the weapons, but armor not so much. I just have mine in old school legiana armor since it looks cool.

this is relevant since megaman starts friday

camo_sig.png
    • Options
      TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
      speeaking of event stuff. does the palico armor really make a difference other than with aesthetics? i have noticed differences with the weapons, but armor not so much. I just have mine in old school legiana armor since it looks cool.

this is relevant since megaman starts friday

It's not a big difference, no. A level 30 palicoe in the weakest high rank armour has 331 defence. A level 30 palicoe in the strongest high rank armour has 395 defence. Always spec your cats for fashion.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    • Options
      ElendilElendil Registered User regular
      did they announce a new console patch? just got one. not major, just 5.11 but no idea what it does.

• Options
      "Kushala Daora's wind armor normally repels arrows and bowgun shots, but arch-tempered Kushala Daora's wind armor unintentionally did not repel these attacks. This issue has been fixed so that tempered and arch-tempered Kushala Daora will now repel those attacks when its wind armor is active."

"You're welcome." - Capcom

• Options
      Elendil wrote: »
      "Kushala Daora's wind armor normally repels arrows and bowgun shots, but arch-tempered Kushala Daora's wind armor unintentionally did not repel these attacks. This issue has been fixed so that tempered and arch-tempered Kushala Daora will now repel those attacks when its wind armor is active."

"You're welcome." - Capcom

It's so dumb for Kushala to be basically projectile-immune when every way of getting rid of the wind requires hitting it.

• Options
      i take it flashing him only works if it drops him? does wearing his set bonus prevent it?

because yeah that sounds like hot garbage

• Options
      Elendil wrote: »
      i take it flashing him only works if it drops him? does wearing his set bonus prevent it?

because yeah that sounds like hot garbage

Pretty sure set bonus only stops you from being blown around. So, you know, it lets melee get in to hit him. But not gunners, of course. And flashes have limited effectiveness on tempered or worse, so... yeah.

Capcom went up their own ass with MHW's endgame. They have a habit of doing it I guess, but hypers were just super-damaging and could be tanked with Moxie/Guts to survive hits. Apex yeah, just as bullshit.

• Options
      huh apparently i never had a sprinter jewel. got one and an artillery jewel from a two box tempered nerg

• Options
      SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
      Started doing some tempered elder dragon hunts.

Oof. Back to feeling useless at this game.

5gsowHm.png
    • Options
      Anyone hunting GU tonight? I had a last-minute cancellation for game night and need to kill things.

• Options
      Anyone hunting GU tonight? I had a last-minute cancellation for game night and need to kill things.

I might be able to! I think Ogretz was free after 7.

• Options
        I am game for 7-7:30

• Options
        Open now. Drop by when convenient.

• Options

Did I upset you? Is that why you put the Hyper Yian up?!

• Options
          TimFiji wrote: »

Did I upset you? Is that why you put the Hyper Yian up?!

I needed four of the stupid thing's scales.

It only gave me two. :(

• Options
          I missed it. . .