As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    MHGU: Anyone hunting this weekend?

Probably tomorrow!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      IceBurner wrote: »
      MHGU: Anyone hunting this weekend?

Probably tomorrow!

Yeah I have like zero plans for tomorrow so I should be available.

• Options
      SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      I will be down for tomorrow.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • Options
      MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
      Regarding the first two storyline times you fight Zora, is there any way to purchase/craft cool drinks. The only time I can find materials for it is in the zone after you’ve fought him. Those magma cores hurt like heck, just by being near to them.

• Options
      SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
      edited October 2018
      How do I join a PA room on the Switch?

Edit: Discord it seems!

Satsumomo on
    • Options
    • Options
      SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
      Elendil wrote: »

I mentally inserted the Tootsie Roll Owl counting in the background

5gsowHm.png
    • Options
      ElendilElendil Registered User regular
      edited October 2018
      tested a zorah sleep lance set vs nerg

got six sleeps to proc

that's a lotta sleeps

kinda tempted to make a sleep hammer build, since that thing has some wake up heft to it

edit: three procs, four sleeps total. on the other hand he died after the last one sooooooo

Elendil on
    • Options
      NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      Muzzmuzz wrote: »
      Regarding the first two storyline times you fight Zora, is there any way to purchase/craft cool drinks. The only time I can find materials for it is in the zone after you’ve fought him. Those magma cores hurt like heck, just by being near to them.

The regular vendors should have them? But maybe it's locked behind HR/Elder's Recess.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • Options
      NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      Pretty sure the provisions vendor starts selling them, not sure at what stage though.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
      Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    • Options
      GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
      Rank 15 MHW
      Is this Kerafyrm the Sleeper looking energy dragon thing the last thing to kill before the "real" game starts or is there some other greater menace afterwards?

Black lives matter.
      Law and Order ≠ Justice
      ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
      Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
      xu257gunns6e.png
    • Options
      NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      GONG-00 wrote: »
      Rank 15 MHW
      Is this Kerafyrm the Sleeper looking energy dragon thing the last thing to kill before the "real" game starts or is there some other greater menace afterwards?
      Seath the Scaleless is the end of the story yeah. There'll be a few 'Assignment' hunts after, but they're just 'we capped your hunter rank so we could make you do this thing to uncap it again'

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    • Options
      LD50LD50 Registered User regular
      I started playing this again on PC last night. Now I'm at work after having slept for 30 minutes. I might have a problem.

• Options
      Quit your job, problem solved!

• Options
      NEO|Phyte wrote: »

While I agree, I feel this would be trading one set of problems for another.

As an asside, am I just better at monster hunter, or are dual blades just ez-mode? I killed the rathian that shows up during... the Pukei-Pukei intro way in the beginning of the game. I tracked another down and killed it during one of the 'gather 20 cactus' quests out in the wastes (and that time I was using jyura dual blades with water element damage, which is real bad for rathian). I don't think I could have done that when I played this game the first time.

• Options
      LD50 wrote: »

As an asside, am I just better at monster hunter, or are dual blades just ez-mode? I killed the rathian that shows up during... the Pukei-Pukei intro way in the beginning of the game. I tracked another down and killed it during one of the 'gather 20 cactus' quests out in the wastes (and that time I was using jyura dual blades with water element damage, which is real bad for rathian). I don't think I could have done that when I played this game the first time.

Try using them to fight Diablos or any other monster that likes to constantly charge (or fly...) back and forth. I can't speak for her behavior in MHW, but Rathian is a relatively stationary, grounded target IME.

• Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Vyolynce wrote: »

Try using them to fight Diablos or any other monster that likes to constantly charge (or fly...) back and forth. I can't speak for her behavior in MHW, but Rathian is a relatively stationary, grounded target IME.

She can spam charges, but she's just as happy to keep going for spins flips and fireballs.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      Even when she wanted to charge around, it was pretty easy to knock her down and cut off her tail. It's just a nice change, being so mobile all the time after switching from switch-axe. I'm not sure if this is going to be a weapon I stick with long term, but it's fun for now.

• Options
      Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Dual Blades are my preferred weapon against Diablos in MHW. Especially since he spawns in a zone that's near a slope (either the den or the big sandy underground cave). The circle attack is great for chasing and dealing damage, and his face is right there after most attacks to do some horn hits with Demon Dance. Learning how to do the wall-run or sliding attack and accurately hitting moving targets really helps against flyers, too (I love fighting Rathlos/ian in the Arena with DB).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • Options
      MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
      I didn’t expect that playing hunting horn would feel so good, considering I’m a fast weapon person.

The few times I mount a monster, the satisfying off key sound of a bagpipe while I bash some dragon’s head in is so satisfying.

Only issue is now I finally got to elder reach, and everything is kicking my ass.

• Options
      Muzzmuzz wrote: »
      I didn’t expect that playing hunting horn would feel so good, considering I’m a fast weapon person.

The few times I mount a monster, the satisfying off key sound of a bagpipe while I bash some dragon’s head in is so satisfying.

Only issue is now I finally got to elder reach, and everything is kicking my ass.

I feel like fragpipe really needs a team to shine. Maybe it's time for some jolly cooperation?

• Options
      Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Dual Blades are my preferred weapon against Diablos in MHW. Especially since he spawns in a zone that's near a slope (either the den or the big sandy underground cave). The circle attack is great for chasing and dealing damage, and his face is right there after most attacks to do some horn hits with Demon Dance. Learning how to do the wall-run or sliding attack and accurately hitting moving targets really helps against flyers, too (I love fighting Rathlos/ian in the Arena with DB).

Oh I'm not saying it's impossible. I've cleared every village quest in 3U, 4U, and Gen* with Duals (other than the gathering/transport missions in Gen where Prowler was an option). Diablos used to be a nightmare before 4U gave me the spin-dash and let me not rely on the Demon Dance too much, and Aerial Style has only added mobility. Even then, anything charge-happy like Tigrex or Diablos is still a giant nuisance.

*Two left to go in GenU, but they are super hard...

• Options
      Hurray HR 29!

Just about all done with a heavy bowgun ...
      39efv25a79vw.jpg

Black lives matter.
      Law and Order ≠ Justice
      xu257gunns6e.png
    • Options
      SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
      Thanks for the help with the hyper Lagi and the triple Rajang quest last night! Got to max the longsword with the Dengeki tickets and that Rajang quest sat there ever since mhgen on the 3ds for me.

• Options
      Satsumomo wrote: »
      Thanks for the help with the hyper Lagi and the triple Rajang quest last night! Got to max the longsword with the Dengeki tickets and that Rajang quest sat there ever since mhgen on the 3ds for me.

The third Goku in that quest was my 30th goddamned Rajang in Gen/U. I ran that quest a lot for the armor I was using in Gen's endgame.

I hated every run then and yesterday was no different. Screw that stupid monkey.

But happy to help. :)

• Options
      I'm still having a pretty easy time with the dual blade, although I think I might make the rathian charge blade for more variety. So far, the most challenging thing about the dual blades is managing the camera when the lunging attack takes you all the way up the anjanath's butthole.

• Options
      I'm still having a pretty easy time with the dual blade, although I think I might make the rathian charge blade for more variety. So far, the most challenging thing about the dual blades is managing the camera when the lunging attack takes you all the way up the anjanath's butthole.

Yeah... I keep hearing people talk about tells and signals but I rarely ever notice them since I'm maybe 5cm away from the monster at any given time.

• Options
      Man, the charge blade is so op.

• Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Hah, you should have seen it originally.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      Polaritie wrote: »

Hah, you should have seen it originally.

In 4U? I think I have, but I don't remember 4U well. I did use the charge blade in it for a little while.

I was able to stunlock Great Girros from pretty much full health to dead. I knocked him down with the element discharge combo, recharged the phials against the downed Great Girros, rinse-repeat. I would have killed him in one go I think, except my sharpness declined far enough my attacks were bouncing and I had to pull back to sharpen. I'm not even good with this weapon yet either.

• Options
      Some stills from the Monster Hunter movie have leaked out, and they feature- guess what- US Marines standing around with modern weapons. :rotate:

5gsowHm.png
    • Options
      navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
      Syngyne wrote: »
      Some stills from the Monster Hunter movie have leaked out, and they feature- guess what- US Marines standing around with modern weapons. :rotate:

Dennis Hopper as "Carlos Nergigante" drug lord and human trafficker, AKA the "Monster"

• Options
      edited October 2018
      I mean, did we really expect anything else?

Edit: I can't wait for the movie spinoff game.

LD50 on
    • Options
      3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
      I can't wait for the board game version of the video game.

• Options
      3clipse wrote: »
      I can't wait for the board game version of the video game.

Isn't that basically Kingdom Death Monster?

• Options
      navgoose wrote: »

Dennis Hopper as "Carlos Nergigante" drug lord and human trafficker, AKA the "Monster"

Do the Marines craft the bones of Eugene Stoner into AR15s?

Black lives matter.
      Law and Order ≠ Justice
      xu257gunns6e.png
    • Options

Do they spend the majority of the movie grinding for freedom decorations?

5gsowHm.png
    • Options
      Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Do they spend the majority of the movie grinding for freedom decorations?

"What're those shinies on your vest there, corporal?"

"This one keeps me from getting knocked on my ass, and this one helps me eat faster."

• Options
      mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
      clearly, their guns will be ineffective and they will be saved by Mila wielding some crazy great sword who then shows them the power of monster parts

camo_sig.png