As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    What is considered to be the strongest style for hammer in mhgu?
    Most of the speedrun times I see are Adept, Guild, or Striker. I'm not sure if Valor (or whatever the new non-Alchemy one is called) or Alchemy is stronger than any of those. Aerial is weaker, definitely (but so much fun). Adept will depend on you being good at reading monsters and dodging (with the fairly generous Adept dodge window), whereas Guild or Striker is more "vanilla" in terms of typical hammer play.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i honestly wish the anjanath chest had better stats

that cape is fuckin sick and female characters get no capes, ever

I genuinely just posted a video of the easiest way to secure a victory earlier in the thread. Hbg glutton tanking is the most effective way to control and win the fight. I had never really played hbg before extremoth, but I still figured it out pretty quickly.

If you want to do it with pa people, I can tank for you, in which case I’d recommend either cluster bombing or some sort of support playstyle. You totally don’t have to hbg cluster bomb to do effective dps though. It just makes it a little more braindead.

*edit* Haha, I’m not sure why I chose to quote that post.
    yeah i'll probably be on tonight to play it

gotta try theorycrafting some setz

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    What is considered to be the strongest style for hammer in mhgu?
    Most of the speedrun times I see are Adept, Guild, or Striker. I'm not sure if Valor (or whatever the new non-Alchemy one is called) or Alchemy is stronger than any of those. Aerial is weaker, definitely (but so much fun). Adept will depend on you being good at reading monsters and dodging (with the fairly generous Adept dodge window), whereas Guild or Striker is more "vanilla" in terms of typical hammer play.

Valor hammer is bonkers.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Valor hammer is mini big bang with a parry

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Is Striker Lance still hella OP compared to basically every other weapon?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Valor except for maybe Lance is pretty insane. If you can get used to it you'll be doing crazy stuff.

• Options

Yes.

They lowered the movement value of the charge finisher by 3.

Lol

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Yes.

They lowered the movement value of the charge finisher by 3.

Lol
    BALANCED!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Valor LS is auto parries on R

Valor GS is parry into unsheath strong charge (and it looks dope)

MHGU is good

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Hbg Valor makes siege mode become a ramp up machine gun.

Lbg Valor causes the side step to get a free normal 2 level bullet.

Cb gets a charged shield while in valor.

It is insane.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    c2g4h76thdt3.jpg

Arby's posted a promo for Monster Hunter on their Twitter. What? Uh.

EDIT: Image too large

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    arby's does that for everything

going in on the hip nerd social media train

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I'm HR 2 in GU, lol. Hopefully people will feel up for grinding through content they probably finished years ago.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    I am down to get u thru stuff asap

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    It was so long ago I bearly remember it.

I do remember that I have one very nice LR set though.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I love gu so much already.

Killing that Diablos with my trusty SnS and Dreadqueen set was more fun than I had in the entirety of the endgame in MHW.

And god there are so many monsters. So many.

And did I mention how amazing the dreadqueen set is?? How did a monster hunter game come out after mhg and not have the dreadqueen armor.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I just did Tempered Jho in 13:20. Feels good!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I uh...almost got a full Great Maccao set. Just need some more shiny beetles. Playing Adept CB.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    In MH:W are there any weapons that allow me to actually parry/deflect an enemy attack?

Is there any merit when using Sword/board to blocking vs dodging?

I took down my first Rathalos last night with my insect glaive at HR4 prior to the quest to try to capture the elder dragon (so pretty early on), and that was an intense fight where I almost fainted like 5 times (but did not :) )

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Does GU not have the equivalent of that random map forest with its own reward mechanics from 4U?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    In MH:W are there any weapons that allow me to actually parry/deflect an enemy attack?

I took down my first Rathalos last night with my insect glaive at HR4 prior to the quest to try to capture the elder dragon (so pretty early on), and that was an intense fight where I almost fainted like 5 times (but did not :) )

Longsword has a parry+counter move.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Longsword has a parry+counter move.

As does lance. Charge blade has something of the sort with guard points as well.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

MHW Parries

Charge Blade (has auto guard on moves)
    Long Sword parry
    Lance counter and super counter
    Great Sword tackle (psuedo parry with armor frames)
    Sword and Board back hop has some invincibility if i remember right

Blocking is very underrated, people think you have to dodge roll everything. Blocking provides a ton of mitigation for free. Until you get used to MH hitboxes feel free to block alot, very few moves in early game are unblockable

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    While on the subject of blocking, what are the mechanics of it when shieldstacking a heavy bowgun? Chucked together a blocky armor set to give it a whirl, and while some things were certainly tinking off of me for barely any effect, a fair amount of the time it seemed to just let whatever right on through to break my face, even with the one set bonus to increase what you are allowed to block.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Does GU not have the equivalent of that random map forest with its own reward mechanics from 4U?

It does not.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    While on the subject of blocking, what are the mechanics of it when shieldstacking a heavy bowgun? Chucked together a blocky armor set to give it a whirl, and while some things were certainly tinking off of me for barely any effect, a fair amount of the time it seemed to just let whatever right on through to break my face, even with the one set bonus to increase what you are allowed to block.

You auto-block all frontal attacks unless you are otherwise engaged, such as after shooting, while reloading, or rolling

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Multiple shields simply increase the amount of guard that you have when you block. You still get owned if you are firing your gun or reloading. I think the shield is only up while you are holding the LT/L2 as well, but I can't confirm. It only blocks attacks coming at you from the front arc, like other shields.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Multiple shields simply increase the amount of guard that you have when you block. You still get owned if you are firing your gun or reloading. I think the shield is only up while you are holding the LT/L2 as well, but I can't confirm. It only blocks attacks coming at you from the front arc, like other shields.

You don't need to be holding anything, holding aim's just convenient for keeping your front towards the monster while moving backwards or sideways.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

You don't need to be holding anything, holding aim's just convenient for keeping your front towards the monster while moving backwards or sideways.

It's like a claymore mine. Front Toward Enemy.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
  • Options
    its true kicks are good

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    c2g4h76thdt3.jpg

Arby's posted a promo for Monster Hunter on their Twitter. What? Uh.

EDIT: Image too large

Arby’s and monster hunter are a perfect fit imo. Shitty roast beef sandwiches and goofy Japanese monster genocide games are two things that my brain naturally associates together.

• Options
    It's great to see a Monster Hunter game finally getting to join classics such as Mischief Makers and Wario Land: Shake It! in the illustrious ranks of Games That Have You Shake Things.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    This Diablos horn situation is bullshit

4 out of 5 breaks on HR Diablos/Black Diablos still only rewarded LR twisted horns. I need like, 7 of the HR versions and at this rate I'm going to be doing it all week.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    You can farm horns super fast by loading up an optional quest with a part-breaker set, focus only on smashing the horns, then return to base. You don't need to complete the quest, just leave early and you'll get the rewards from any parts you broke.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yeah, the HR horns are a pain to get.

• Options
    Ugh. Box space is extremely limited, especially if you did a save transfer in MHGU.

I highly suggest, after doing the Congalala urgent in the Soaratorium, following up with:
    Investment Flanking (Giadrome)
    Bug Appetit Encore (Seltas)

This will then unlock Barroth in:
    A Friend in Need (Barroth).

That will subsequently unlock some gathering quest Burned Husks, which leads to the first box expansion.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Box space never felt like an issue in Generations, did GU reduce it?

• Options
    No

but until you unlock more, youre stuck with Generations box with a whole new rank of items (ore, bugs, monsters etc)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    No

but until you unlock more, youre stuck with Generations box with a whole new rank of items (ore, bugs, monsters etc)

Not to mention added monsters (and all of their parts). My main problem is that I have a TON of Deviant farmed up tickets that I didn't want to destroy, and there are 10 of each of those.

8i1dt37buh2m.png