As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Curse you P-Bandai that kit looks rad.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Legit wasn't feeling great at work, so I headed home. And used the time to start.

The first step in the journey is knowing what's ahead of you. In this case, for me, it was organizing the pieces. With so many runners, I needed to make sure I knew where to put them back when I wasn't using them. So I emptied each box, counted the runners in it, and marked on the box the contents.

It reminded me that I suck at writing Katakana, because I'm left handed.

PnIwSmYh.jpg

bCkhvB3h.jpg

Of note, the left side of that picture are all polycaps.

qCJMFHsh.jpg

a2TdL5nh.jpg

My plan is to try and take a picture at each step in the manual. Given that I panel line as I go, this is already going to be a slow process, so why not really draw it out?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

I’d genuinely love to see a line of construction/utility mecha model kits.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'd be down for that. I'm actually a fan of the industrialmech designs from Mechwarrior: Dark Age, and things like the loaders from Aliens and Half-Life.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'd be down for that. I'm actually a fan of the industrialmech designs from Mechwarrior: Dark Age, and things like the loaders from Aliens and Half-Life.

I said earlier I do find the lack of BattleTech models kind of sad as I would pay money for a cauldron born or a timber wolf or elementals in something like 1/28 or so
    as the resin kind of are lacking in that you have to do a lot of pinning and work on them to get the look you want

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »

I said earlier I do find the lack of BattleTech models kind of sad as I would pay money for a cauldron born or a timber wolf or elementals in something like 1/28 or so
    as the resin kind of are lacking in that you have to do a lot of pinning and work on them to get the look you want

I live my life by the saying, "Fuck Harmony Gold." This falls under that category. But yeah... Catalyst should license the designs they own.

Athenor on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

not a kit, actually, but the zaku worker is a good and helpful friend

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    *Deep Breath*

Okay...

Page 1's runners (page 2 only added a couple):

ppR3SFvl.jpg

Step 1 - cockpit and upper teeth.

cItagHpl.jpg

And the inner detail of the mouth.

5EaRRW5l.jpg

Here's how it is going to compare to Gojulas Giga.

SNtk9Yql.jpg

Step 2: Adding the eyes and a bit more control panels:

tA4Xja5l.jpg

Step 3 - right side of the snout.

Rd7JouEl.jpg

40GuVrdl.jpg

Step 4 - and the left.

bL8Tqy7l.jpg

Combined...

omvQ0GWl.jpg

HwmQiT7l.jpg

One of the things that was special about the Gojulas Gunner Limited was that it came with clear parts. I couldn't not use that. If I wanted it to look truly traditional, I'd use the orange, but I am liking how this turned out.

lgQ6FYUl.jpg

vH17A5cl.jpg

EyuVnQnl.jpg

Next step... The neck and rest of the head.

f3vaLJnl.jpg

Lower Jaw, still the same step...

CbwRLPPl.jpg

qxsfeOhl.jpg

ngnSWqyl.jpg

... And that's where I am stopping for the night. Whew.

I did want to see roughly how big the head would be, so I put the parts on top of each other but not connected.

FSg3Y6pl.jpg

• Options
    By the by, a friend asked me to count individual runners. There are duplicates, but if my math is right, there are 95 runners in this set.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/fZRWoFXlZ5Y

Preview of some Gundam G40 (Industrial Design Ver.) stuff that got showed during the GWBC. They remade the first 2 battles between Amuro and Char using the Industrial Design version.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Is it fair to say Zoids kits have more runners than gunpla tends to have?

• Options
    Is it fair to say Zoids kits have more runners than gunpla tends to have?

HMMs, yes.

HMM is somewhere between Master Grade and Perfect Grade in complexity.

The original Tomy zoids, though, came on much fewer runners.

https://zoids.fandom.com/wiki/Gojulas

The original Gojulas from 1983, for comparison, came on 5 runners (with one of those being the standard weapon runner of the time).

ZOIDZILLA-GOJULAS-04.jpg

Compare that to the HMM I'm building...

71qN9zLRNPL._SY450_.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Finished the head, moved onto the next page... and ran out of steam due to how detailed the neck is.

It's really interesting how this one came together. A bit of a floating joint for neck tilt, until you lock it in with the silver parts.

I also snapped my first piece here. It's nearly impossible to tell, but as I was assembling it I had a feeling it would snap. It's glued now, better than before.

I'm covered in pour marker ink due to how I'm doing this....

Also I missed a runner for the third page, so that's why there is a runner set by itself.

qtIeABzl.jpg

j0SEAmPl.jpg

wnY3xWGl.jpg

ap660Eql.jpg

5wd5YJIl.jpg

vsqLmSVl.jpg

Obligatory size comparisons. Note that Gundam is 1/144, Zoids are 1/72. So the Gundam should be twice as big in this pic.

vtGgxfMl.jpg

Z7LXVoFl.jpg

DpCUj18l.jpg

One major difference between HMM Zoids and, say, Real Grade, is that the inner structure is really blocky. You won't get a proper "Skeleton" here. The frames are big due to the batteries and motors in the originals, and so the HMMs maintain that... and bury a ton of posability in there.

IVdXNvxl.jpg

K7TFQk1l.jpg

hSnpssrl.jpg

POAVM9Ml.jpg

Because I ran out of steam, I decided to put the head on the neck temporarily.

6jGS5xRl.jpg

DlZiUDLl.jpg

Edit: I feel like I'm going all out on this guy, in a way I haven't since my Death Stinger. Every part is getting some panel lining, to the point where I feel like I should just be doing a black wash (damn enamel based washes!).

There are tons of details that would never be seen and still have that dirty look. I'm loving it.

Athenor on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Holy SHIT.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    so greebly!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    so greebly!

It's fun comparing it to the original model I posted earlier on the page.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/hOeZqug14QI

gahdamn this looks great

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Yup, I always wash [plastic model kit runners] in lukewarm washing-up-liquid-soapy water.
    It makes them "feel better" in my opinion
    How do you wash them? Do you rub them with your fingers, or just let them soak in soapy water, or something else?
    I throw a bunch in soapy water, then I take one of then and rub them with my fingers softly, and then rinse them with clean water. I shake it a few times over the sink, put it on a towel, fold the towel so that the runner is sandwiched between it, give it a soft pat, and then take the towel on both sides and shake it up and down. After that, I blow in the crevasses and pits to get most of the water out, dry it with a soft towel, and then put the runner on a towel in the living room (the warmest room of the house).

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! IT'S REAL! I OWN IT! HOLLLYYYY FUCK IS IT BIG AND HEAVY!!!!

< many amazing pics>

FIFTY EIGHT FUCKING PAGES OF INSTRUCTIONS!!!
    Looking into my backlog:
    - PG Char’s Zaku II: 16 pages, 23 runners, 551 pieces
    - PG Gundam Mk.II: 26 pages, 32 runners, 739 pieces

The PG Gundam’s lightsaber is 27.5 cm, which is tiny compared to your 36 cm guns :eek:

• Options
    https://youtu.be/hOeZqug14QI

gahdamn this looks great
    Wow, the amount of pistons sold this set to me :eek: :biggrin:

• Options
    Agreed. I have a massive soft spot for pistons.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Agreed. I have a massive soft spot for pistons.

Phrasing.

For real though that kit looks amazing. The ridiculous detail in the shoulder hinges alone is impressive.

• Options
    Interesting...

I went to hobby lobby to pick up a restock of tamaya cotton swabs, and they don't sell them anymore. Instead they have a store brand. I can't tell if they are as well made, but they were just as expensive for more swabs. They did have a small variety that were in between the tamaya small and medium.

I don't like shopping at Hobby Lobby anyways for a variety of reasons. If these swabs suck, that will likely be it for me, as I buy a new set yearly.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I wish the Barbatos Rex was getting a MG but that's probably not in the cards. Still, not gonna say no to that Barbatos kit.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wonder if there's much chance of more IBO MGs? Far as I know, the show was not at all popular in Japan, but it's gunpla is wildly popular in the west. I wonder if that makes it worth it to Bandai.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I wonder if there's much chance of more IBO MGs? Far as I know, the show was not at all popular in Japan, but it's gunpla is wildly popular in the west. I wonder if that makes it worth it to Bandai.

P-bandai. Japan only. Really stick it to 'em.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Man, IBO got me into Gundam. It has issues, sure, but to be "not at all popular in Japan" sucks. And the suits are great!

• Options
    The thing is, idk if any gundam series has been particularly successful lately.

Or mecha show period. The genre in general is pretty dead. Gunpla really is keeping the ship afloat.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    IBO is far and away my favorite too. First time I saw a Graze, fell in love. Perfect grunt design.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    turtleant wrote: »

Or mecha show period. The genre in general is pretty dead. Gunpla really is keeping the ship afloat.

The last set of mecha shows I recall having a lot of buzz was when Code Geass, Gundam 00, and Macross Frontier were all running. Admittedly it doesn't count so much since it's a super robot show, but Gurren Lagann was around the same time too IIRC.

Although, aren't the Build Divers shows pretty popular?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    still I wanted one of the awacs Valkyrie from macross frontier

• Options
    The paint job I thought up for Barbatos would work better on Lupus Rex so they better keep making IBO MGs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Probably not news to all of you, but I was at my local Barnes and Nobels for the first time in like 3 years today. They ripped out the old DVD and music section and now have toys and collectables and they had a pretty descent Gunpla section. Bunch of Gundam and anime character models. Back in my day you could one buy them at Suncoast Video in the mall.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

The last set of mecha shows I recall having a lot of buzz was when Code Geass, Gundam 00, and Macross Frontier were all running. Admittedly it doesn't count so much since it's a super robot show, but Gurren Lagann was around the same time too IIRC.

My understanding is that Build Divers was insanely unpopular while being broadcast. Like, lowest ratings of shows that season. And I know it gets a ton of shit from the loud parts of the fan base. (I liked it fine, btw. And Re:Rise has been pretty good)

IDK how Build Fighters did.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I would assume the Gundam Build series does good enough cause they keep making them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought today would be more productive than it was... another 3-4 hours or so?

Anyways.

Thought it might be useful to show what the inside of one of the polycaps looks like on this guy.

nXQB2bsl.jpg

It goes in like this.

p4e2rvUl.jpg

Here's another one. Yay for small steps without any panel lining! WOOO!

lk4vjVLl.jpg

Beginning the assembly of the upper torso.

fLEIXWgl.jpg

A few big panels later...

975Khirl.jpg

The neck fits on here pretty well! Though I will admit, I'm surprised there doesn't appear to be much, if any, neck articulation. I could've sworn...

byN1jEwl.jpg

And imposing front. It feels like an old nuclear reactor.

cX4DFCGl.jpg

While Tomy calls this a "T-Rex type," everyone knows it is basically Mecha Godzilla inspired.

Here's the evidence: The spinal plates.

5cWd14Sl.jpg

You really can't deny that!

Fb8Schcl.jpg

Attached the head for another scale pic. Again: Gundam is 1/144, Zoids is 1/72, so make the Gundam about twice as tall. Man, I need to learn how to pull off some perspective shots.

ZdFJ39Ul.jpg

Shoulders!

BmMfpPUl.jpg

Yay! New page, new runners! How many could there be?

YlgPp4Vl.jpg

Shoulders gotta peg on somewhere to stay in place, right?

Rc1yofWl.jpg

Still feel like I'm slathering this guy in oil, but that's okay. Even tiny details are getting pulled out by this process.

h7qcGBll.jpg

JWOv080l.jpg

Remember those connectors at the beginning of today? Side to side and tilt? Yeah, here's where they are now.

S4yg0Opl.jpg

Time to attach another layer of outer armor! This with some vents as well. Locks in the shoulders. And yet there are still some conspicuous peg holes....

2nAckfkl.jpg

NAB4Rbyl.jpg

Again, head attached temporarily for scale.

xaHlOWbl.jpg

A new piece! At first I thought this would be the core of the main torso. But no.. turns out it's part of the back spine!

AylR6Dkl.jpg

Here it is from the next step. You can see the polycaps where the spine plugs in. I love that they are articulated.

66KuBJtl.jpg

Here is the other side, with a large piece and a smaller moving vent.

EkRsxP2l.jpg

The inside. What blows my mind is that you will likely never see this unless you are REALLY looking for it.

GwMcCXdl.jpg

And done with this page!

XQDXeRyl.jpg

Here's the articulation on that joint.

FUclOI6l.jpg

And here's the day's work, all assembled to roughly where it will go. I am wondering if I have too big a spine in there or something, because it seems extremely tight. I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Obviously I'm not done with the back / spine piece and I'm gonna disassemble this,but it gives an idea of where everything will roughly go.

PGqeIT4l.jpg

This sucker's upper torso has more plastic than many of the models and toys I've assembled. Jeez. No wonder the box had him fighting Iron Kong.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

My understanding is that Build Divers was insanely unpopular while being broadcast. Like, lowest ratings of shows that season. And I know it gets a ton of shit from the loud parts of the fan base. (I liked it fine, btw. And Re:Rise has been pretty good)

Ah. Here's where I admit that I don't know the difference between the Build series. I just had the vague impression the Build stuff did well because I see it talked about a lot, but that might be more for the merchandise than the shows now that I think of it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Bandai held a poll and the Flouros came in first place for second MG IBO kit, followed by the Lupus Rex.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I would assume the Gundam Build series does good enough cause they keep making them.

I was thinking Bandai is bankrolling them as toy commercials essentially

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Ah. Here's where I admit that I don't know the difference between the Build series. I just had the vague impression the Build stuff did well because I see it talked about a lot, but that might be more for the merchandise than the shows now that I think of it.

Build Fighters did really well in Japan and did ok globally. Unfortunately, the main appeal of the show was for young builders, and in later series they have mostly quit making master grades and stuck to high grades. Build Fighters: Try did ok, but nothing special. Build Divers has been universally panned as a roaming meandering show that desperately needed a focal point.