Options

A [Dragon Quest] Thread Is Too Busy Dancing!

JansonJanson Registered User regular
edited September 2018 in Social Entropy++
Dragon Quest is a 32 year old series (originally released as Dragon Warrior in the U.S.) that is incredibly popular in Japan, but not so much outside it.

This is a shame! Many of the Dragon Quest games are very wonderful! It’s the only game series to have made me cry, and not just tears of frustration!

Each game works as a stand-alone game, although there are similarities between each entry in the series (I hear Dragon Quest I-III are connected, story-wise, but honestly, those are the three I haven’t played. And 4-6 are linked, but only loosely). For example, the protagonist is always silent. The monsters you encounter are more or less the same. The combat is turn-based and the same composer has composed music for all the games.

Anyway, my reason for making this thread NOW is that Dragon Quest XI is out! And reviews, especially this Kotaku review, have been extremely favorable, suggesting that this may be the best entry into the series yet! I played two hours of it last night and I can tell you that it is indeed so far wonderful.

If you’ve never played a Dragon Quest game before, XI may also be the game for you!

(Also my personal favorites are VIII, V and VII in that order! We can discuss the older games, too!).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTbUGItU0s

Janson on

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I only got to play an hour or so last night, but... game seems real good.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I’m gonna pick this up on Friday I think!

I don’t think I’ve ever actually finished a DQ game (they’re so long!) but I always enjoy the parts I play of them.

• Options
    They’re definitely long, and there’s usually a spot when the difficulty jumps and you either have to grind, or you accept the challenge and adapt tactically (which I am very bad at doing). That’s usually a point when I’ve left the game for a bit, and it’s where I stopped with VI, and in my last replay of V!

• Options
    I remember being really surprised by how short IV was. I finished it in just under 30 hours or so, which for Dragon Quest seems lightning quick.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    wanted to play at PAX

dont have a playstation yet but im planning on one soon and this is on my short list

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    This seems to be almost everything I want from a modern JRPG.

Will it dethrone P5? Stay tuned to find out!

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my history with dragon quest is: i was duped into buying DQ:Warriors thinking it was a proper RPG

but this game looks really cool and there's a good chance this one's getting played and beaten

I've eaten through a lot of JRPGs and not really found one that I loved... Star Ocean, Xenoblade, Persona, Sword Art etc... all played but not beat, but this one seems to be the right mix for my tastes

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I hope it is!!!

I tried to play Dragon Quest I but it was a bit too old at that point. I know a lot of people love III, but I think I’d only play the first three games now if they saw an upgrade and re-release on the DS or Switch.

Edit: I also haven’t touched Warriors for the same reason I haven’t yet touched Fire Emblem Warriors. It’s not my style of game at all and I fear it may drag the series down for me... I’ll try FE Warriors soon, though!

Janson on
  • Options
    I still wanna play Warriors, if just because it's fun to bash around tons of enemies. Plus it's got a lot of the companions from the previous games!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I want a new dragon quest monsters game so bad

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I’m still annoyed they never localized the 3ds one.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

There's a fan translation at least.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I was around back when Dragon Warrior was given away for free by Nintendo Power.

Had Final Fantasy 1 too.

It is amazing to see how much it has grown.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

What?? Oh god dammit you're right there is a third one that was japanese exclusive, dragon quest whyyyyy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

What?? Oh god dammit you're right there is a third one that was japanese exclusive, dragon quest whyyyyy

Oh, right, the Jokers. I was thinking of the 3DS remake of the original, which we also never got.

• Options
    Also I was thinking of Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime! Which they made a sequel (technically a third entry) to but never localized.

GIVE ME MY DUMB PUNS, SQUEENIX

• Options
    Not to be confused with Dragon Quest Heroes, which is the game people have been calling Dragon Quest Warriors.

• Options
    Rocket Slime was soooo good!

• Options
    Good lord, come up with some more distinct game names, Squeenix.

• Options

Do you want to get Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue? Because that's how you get Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

• Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

Do you want to get Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue? Because that's how you get Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

Do you mean Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, Or Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue DX: 1/8th Of 2/25ths: Re:Coded?

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I've been side-eyeing this for a while, but I'm probably going to wait for maybe Christmas time for when I have more time to play it.

Also because I got burned hard by DQVII on 3DS, which is a game I had been wanting to play since it hit on PSX ages ago. 40 hours in and I have yet to find the fun.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Boy if you didn't like DQVII on the 3DS you would have absolutely hated the PSX version, which in my understanding was like... 150+ hours minimum to beat.

They shortened the FUCK out of that game, and it's still a longass game.

• Options
    Aww, I really like VII, I’m sorry you didn’t!

I didn’t find the enjoyment in VI or IX myself, but I do think there’s one for everyone!

• Options
    IX is weird because a lot of the appeal of DQ to me is the characters, and with a fully player-created party I feel like it lost something there. Still some S-Class puns in the game, though.

• Options
    @Moriveth come up with a new thread title, this is too similar to G&T’s ;)

• Options
    You’re too similar to G&T’s!

• Options
    Boy if you didn't like DQVII on the 3DS you would have absolutely hated the PSX version, which in my understanding was like... 150+ hours minimum to beat.

Oh. I didn't know they shortened it.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

Oh. I didn't know they shortened it.

Yeah, I never played original VII but my understanding is that the intro (before you get into any time travel shenanigans) is significantly longer, as well as the various requirements for job class levels were way more severe.

• Options
    Just got my DQXI. It has a reversible cover.

• Options
    I immediately swapped it out because I gotta have that sweet sweet Toriyama art.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I very much want to play this game but Spider-Man and Destiny are here so it will probably be late this month/early October before I get to it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    What the fuck is Erik's accent?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    got a couple of hours in. seems cool so far. wondering if this is the ratio of cutscene to play time typical inside of dungeons... i don't mind too much, because its still better than Sword Art's nonstop gag inducing dialog, and it's really well directed, but I think in 2 hours i was only at the wheel for about 30 minutes

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    What the fuck is Erik's accent?

It’s British when you first encounter him, and his VA is British... I shall have to listen more tonight!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've played DQ7 on the Playstation many years ago and ended up putting it down because I got stuck on a robot island and everything could ultramurder me so I couldn't go back or forward.

I also played DQ8 on the 3DS about a year ago and got through the first dungeon but eventually drifted away from it because of combat? I don't really remember, the game didn't make much of an impact on me with the story at that point.

Seeing DQ11 hyped so much has me interested, but also wary. I'd want to know more about if the story is decent and also how characterization is for party members.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I never finished Dragon Warrior 2. Always got to the final boss and found it to difficult and I was sick of grinding.

The last game in the series I played was Dragon Warrior 4 which was the most impressive 8 bit game I have ever played.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I’d say 11 so far does a decent job of throwing you into the story/action.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like Dargen Kvast.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I don't know if any other DQs before XI did this but
    you get more party members than slots and can swap 'em in and out mid battle and they all get normal exp. So that's neat

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius