Options

[WoW] The war fronts moves on Stromgarde!

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm thinking that if you are willing to go to such lengths to avoid playing with other people turn maybe you are playing the wrong game.

Honestly it sounds like some of you would be happy if they developed 4 bots that you could queue dungeons with and the rest of your time would just be soloing.

I am quite happy to play with other people, and like having them around in the game and grouping with them. I dont see the group finder as "playing with other people", to me its just a barrier to doing that very thing. That is exactly why people want content in the queueing system, so they can play with others while playing the game.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    hippofant wrote: »
    I've still yet to hear any decent reason why a dungeon should be mythic-only.

Because Blizzard has decided that having a substantial amount of content require groups is part of their design philosophy and that preferring to only solo should restrict you heavily. This has been a pretty constant theme since at least the launch of Warlords, it's not a new trend.

They've drawn the line between soloing and grouping at Mythic dungeons, and lock some interesting stuff behind some of them to encourage players to try them.

Finding ways to encourage players to group up is naturally going to be part of the design philosophy of an MMO, there doesn't really need to be a better reason than that.

I believe you are using "soloing" and "grouping" in 1984-esque doublespeak. You still have to group for heroic dungeons.

Also, LFR.

And also the complaint is, specifically, locking a major part of the main storyline behind a mythic dungeon. They have not been doing that since WoD as far as I know. Neither Court of Stars nor The Arcway had "main storyline" in them.

Also, good job Blizzard, "encouraging" players to unsub. You know what'd be a good part of implementing your design philosophy of encouraging people to group up? Make the playerbase not as godawful toxic.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Like, by your language, Overwatch and League of Legends are "solo" games, because most people just queue up and get put onto teams with strangers, rather than hanging out in chat lobbies trying to arrange teams with... strangers.

The difference is literally whether a computer is doing the social organization work or people. It's a "group" project if you arrange your own team; it's a "solo" project if we randomly assign you a partner.

:eh:

hippofant on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Have you played league or overwatch? Soloqueue is basically playing solo because there sure as fuck isnt any teamwork going on.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Have you played league or overwatch? Soloqueue is basically playing solo because there sure as fuck isnt any teamwork going on.

As opposed to what would happen if you sat in a chat lobby and got 5 random players instead?

Is your implication then that dungeon finder queues are "solo play" because there's no teamwork going on? The question at hand here is why Siege of Boralus is mythic-only, not why it's mythic +10 only, requiring an organized, experienced team with voice chat and special addons, and why players have to hit the Group Finder to do it on M0 instead of H. Hell, on the last page, Dhalphir literally suggested to just do it M2, it's easy enough anyways.

So what the hell are we talking about here? How many different definitions are we twisting two words into here? It's sooo easy that anybody can do it on M2 with a random group of people you just put together in the group-finder, so therefore that makes it "group" play, and that's why you can't have it in the H queue so that you can do it with a random group of people that Blizzard puts together in the dungeon-finder, because that'd be "solo" play.

(Also, no, I don't play those games. I have watched people play those games, and you are either plain incorrect or are being hyperbolic.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think I’d be okay with it if they ever added a Dungeon Finder queue for Mythic 0.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    They've drawn the line between soloing and grouping at Mythic dungeons, and lock some interesting stuff behind some of them to encourage players to try them.
    Dhal, I know you're aware LFD and LFR arent done solo so I'm not sure what you are saying here.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Eh, Blizzard tried mythic only dungeons in Legion.

They weren't mythic-only for the entire expansion, IIRC, they had heroic versions made available to queue in LFD relatively quickly.

I'm surprised they ignored that lesson for BFA (well, given the rest of BFA, I can't really say that).

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I love the corgi goggles for the anniversary. so cute.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

They weren't mythic-only for the entire expansion, IIRC, they had heroic versions made available to queue in LFD relatively quickly.

I'm surprised they ignored that lesson for BFA (well, given the rest of BFA, I can't really say that).

Wowpedia says Court of Stars and Arcway both started mythic-only, and only got changed to heroic in 7.2. That's a long time in.

Nothing major plot-relevant happened in them though. Ellisande showed up at the end of Court of Stars, but that was it.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Dhal, I know you're aware LFD and LFR arent done solo so I'm not sure what you are saying here.

They are solo as far as I'm concerned.

Blizzard could come out and say that LFG has been filled entirely with bots for years and no one has ever actually been placed with any other real people and nobody could disprove it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Evermourn wrote: »

They are solo as far as I'm concerned.

Blizzard could come out and say that for the last two expansions, LFG has been filled entirely with bots and no player has ever actually been placed with any other real people and nobody could disprove it.

So, you're saying that some people are NPCs.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm saying that if your tolerance for interacting with players is so low that you don't even want to form a group with the Finder then you probably never say anything in LFD/LFR anyway so you may as well be grouped with bots.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Ah, yes, not wanting to interact with people must be the problem.
    Enc wrote: »
    I cant express how bullshit gating Siege of Boralus behind mythic is. As a casual player, who plays a dps, there is no effective way to even try and run it. I'd have to troll the chat logs for dozens of hours (or at least more than the four so far) to try and form a group. The group finder system has nothing.
    Have you posted your own group in the Group Finder?
    Yeah. Spent four hours with one up, plus advertising in trade. Nothing but get guds, lols, and other garbage taunts to a simple "LFM Siege of Boralus Mythic - Story Completion"

OH WAIT NO IT ISN'T

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Spent four hours with one up, plus advertising in trade. Nothing but get guds, lols, and other garbage taunts to a simple "LFM Siege of Boralus Mythic - Story Completion"

The mechanics of LFD and the group finder aside, that is bizarre. I've seen plenty of mythic 0 groups being advertised in the group finder, and I joined a number of them back when my hunter first capped a couple of weeks ago. Were you advertising during peak play time? Maybe you have to be a tank or healer to get things off the ground for 0 these days. :/

Also, out of curiosity, what was your gear ilvl at the time? I'm not going to be an ilvl snob about it, but perhaps everybody else (with certain addons and brief mouse-overs of your name) was.

338, It was peak time here late afternoon on a sunday.

• Options
    I'm saying that if your tolerance for interacting with players is so low that you don't even want to form a group with the Finder then you probably never say anything in LFD/LFR anyway so you may as well be grouped with bots.

For real, fuck off with this "you dont want to be social" garbage. I group up and talk with people all the time for all sorts of content. What I can't do is devote hours and hours of time actively trying to get content when I usually only have 30 minute to an hour chunks to play each day.

You may have a life that accommodates such a waste of time, and I certainly did when both WoW and I were young (hell, when I was in Beta and Classic my dorm would play for days straight doing world events, with Mrs. Enc joining in for that time). But now that I have a job and family and commitments beyond sitting on WoW, that isn't a luxury I can afford.

• Options
    Also the "IF YOU DON'T MYTHIC PLAY ANOTHER GAME LULZ" is probably both the most patronizing and pathetic things I have read in this forum. That reaction is part of what made me unsub, at least as much as the gating content. Folks like you are the most toxic element of the community.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

A random LFG group is still a group with real people, no less than assembling a group via creating a group in the group finder or spamming trade chat.

It feels to me like a form of gatekeeping to say otherwise.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

Wowpedia says Court of Stars and Arcway both started mythic-only, and only got changed to heroic in 7.2. That's a long time in.

Nothing major plot-relevant happened in them though. Ellisande showed up at the end of Court of Stars, but that was it.

Honestly it felt like it was quicker.

Both tied into some of the side plots in Suramar IIRC.

The point was that Blizzard tried this before and realized it didn’t work. Why they thought it’d be a good idea in the next expansion I have no idea.

• Options

The point was that Blizzard tried this before and realized it didn’t work. Why they thought it’d be a good idea in the next expansion I have no idea.

Because BFA is a bad idea checklist.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Because BFA is a bad idea checklist.

This. So much this.

Also,

Guys I haven’t raided since bc , am a pug bg hero and just do battlegrounds all day. I have done every mythic in the last two expansions ( least the ones available when I was subbed) they are not nearly hard enough to excluded M0 . But people will quit ! People already fucking quit all content from rated pvp to raiding I don’t see how this is a line too far.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hahahaha holy shit the BC timewalking dungeons are NOT tuned properly.

We got arcatraz. The first hallway that you need to speedwalk through has so many guys spawning and the damage was higher than most healers could put up with until we finally got a holy priest. The druid and shaman we had at first just peaced out after the first half second.

After that nightmare we got to the blueberry room and I just could not see the buff they cast to basically heal themselves back up to full on the ground. I forgot that they even did it at first but then I remembered it, but I couldn't see it in the environment nor did it have the buff it's supposed to show me. I basically had to rely on watching its HP closely to see if we were outpacing it. It wasn't even emoting that it had cast it.

Then there was that slow-cast room, which the groupfinder matched us with 3 casters and the druid was no longer with us so that one took a wipe to get through even though I kited them out that debuff kept following us.

There were some other bad parts in the other 4 dungeons we did but that one was by far the worst tuned of the 5 we got thrown into.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

We got arcatraz. The first hallway that you need to speedwalk through has so many guys spawning and the damage was higher than most healers could put up with until we finally got a holy priest. The druid and shaman we had at first just peaced out after the first half second.

After that nightmare we got to the blueberry room and I just could not see the buff they cast to basically heal themselves back up to full on the ground. I forgot that they even did it at first but then I remembered it, but I couldn't see it in the environment nor did it have the buff it's supposed to show me. I basically had to rely on watching its HP closely to see if we were outpacing it. It wasn't even emoting that it had cast it.

Then there was that slow-cast room, which the groupfinder matched us with 3 casters and the druid was no longer with us so that one took a wipe to get through even though I kited them out that debuff kept following us.

There were some other bad parts in the other 4 dungeons we did but that one was by far the worst tuned of the 5 we got thrown into.

I’m glad I got all of the TW mounts and pets so I can ignore this garbage now

• Options
    I mostly did it for the quest item... which gave me AP instead of a weapon I desperately needed.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular

I’m glad I got all of the TW mounts and pets so I can ignore this garbage now

There's going to be a new mount (two of them, rumor has it) when Draenor timewalking comes out.

And yeah, BC timewalking is a nightmare now. If their goal was to recreate the feeling of starting to do BC heroics back in the day, they succeeded! I did them with a group of reasonably competent guildies and it still took forever to finish the weekly. Mechanics that stun the tank or silence the healer are the pinnacle of bullshit when the mobs themselves are horribly overtuned.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Only one I had trouble with was Alcatraz and only because the tank insisted in charging everything gogogo style , I left shortly after. That said I remember trying to heal shattered halls on bc... I have never played a healing class again.

• Options
    Only one I had trouble with was Alcatraz and only because the tank insisted in charging everything gogogo style , I left shortly after. That said I remember trying to heal shattered halls on bc... I have never played a healing class again.

Yeah I got to the room with the beholders and holy shit every time I pulled one of the DPS would pull the other one somehow (???) and we wiped because of that.

You might have been in my group because that first room is a fucking NIGHTMARE to get through without GOGOGOGOGing through it.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I only get frustrated with the m+ system when none of my friends are online and I have to resort to using the LFD system to get a team going. It takes fucking forever. I am objectively one of the best geared warriors on my server, in the top 5 in terms of raider.io score, and most nights I literally can't get into a group. It's maddening. And then when I do finally get an invite, the group is always full of the most grossly incompetent and venomous assholes imaginable.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    When I queue using LFR, random dungeons, or any other public matchmaking system, I do treat the other players as bots who are there for my personal enjoyment.

Likewise, when I queue for Quick Play in Overwatch, everyone else on my team might as well be an NPC. They don't matter, and I don't care that they are human beings. Except when they camp Ashe. Then I cuss them fierce.

I'd play 99% of every video game solo if I could.

I've said this on these forums before, but I'll say it again. WoW is literally the only avenue for Warcraft story, so that's what I play. I don't like the fact that it's an MMO and I wish it had an offline mode with bots. But since that doesn't exist, I just treat the entire playerbase as bots anyway, except when I'm running activities with friends and guildies, and then I do socially interact with them. But when I'm playing with the general populace, they are nothing but randos, and for all I care they are just bots. I don't talk to randos. My goal is not to add a bunch of randos to my friends list because I had a pleasant random experience with them. At the end of the day they're still just random spots being filled for my own personal enjoyment in the matchmaker tool.

I had the same problem with both Destiny games. Other people are there, and all they do is get in my way, kill my mobs, and cause me annoyance by their very existence in my game world. But more and more, the Games Industry is pushing every game towards social gaming and shared spaces, and I don't like that. But I have to put up with it because those are the way games are being made.

Oh for the days of offline gaming and getting to pick and choose who shares my game world with me.

• Options

Yeah I got to the room with the beholders and holy shit every time I pulled one of the DPS would pull the other one somehow (???) and we wiped because of that.

You might have been in my group because that first room is a fucking NIGHTMARE to get through without GOGOGOGOGing through it.

We bloodlusted the trash in that first room, the one with the shadow guy as the boss, because yeah, they kept coming. Not only bloodlust, but many cooldowns were blown there.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

We bloodlusted the trash in that first room, the one with the shadow guy as the boss, because yeah, they kept coming. Not only bloodlust, but many cooldowns were blown there.

That dungeon required me to keep ALL my stuff on cooldown because the damage was just way too high.

I felt like I was in fucking cataclysm again.

Even original BC didn't really require that much cooldown management (cooldowns had like a 30 minute timer).

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I cant express how bullshit gating Siege of Boralus behind mythic is. As a casual player, who plays a dps, there is no effective way to even try and run it. I'd have to troll the chat logs for dozens of hours (or at least more than the four so far) to try and form a group. The group finder system has nothing.

What fucking bullshit. Mythic is for guild content and for pushing the upper envelope of content, not gating the goddamn main story quest behind.

Pretty much have to wait for dungeons week and then go in mythic 0 version of it which is basically what I did.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

That dungeon required me to keep ALL my stuff on cooldown because the damage was just way too high.

I felt like I was in fucking cataclysm again.

Even original BC didn't really require that much cooldown management (cooldowns had like a 30 minute timer).

The original shattered halls was brutal. You had to cc a lot of stuff or you would get massive pulls that would just blow your tank up.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    It may be weird, but after oddly tolerating them in Legion when I was fully immersed in my guild and had a clique....Mythics have basically turned me off of WoW completely. Something about such high end gear being available in 5-mans really rubs me the wrong way.

I would even say my position is indefensible. I know I'm (probably) in the wrong here. I just hate it. Part of me wants it to be grinding 5 mans for rep / coins / materials and keep the high end gear for PvP or raids. The middle road of Mythics....

I dunno. Old man yelling at clouds, I guess. Part of me thinks that the hardcore side of me views it as something else I "need" to be doing and I was already maxed out at PvP and raids.

Mythic 0's should be LFG'able, though.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    I wish they would have curated the drops on the 14th anniversary dragons a bit. Like, thanks to the existence of Azerite gear, getting a normal breastplate seems kind of lame. Or hats and shoulders. I guess the same goes for Timewalking too. I got a 335 chest from one of the time walking dungeons I did, but since it isn't Azerite, I felt like it was a bad gear option, even though it was a 10 ilevel upgrade.

• Options

I did a bunch of Timewalking dungeons on the weekend, as DPS and as a tank. I had a much easier go of it as a tank.

As DPS, every instance sucked. In BM, I came to the conclusion that Feral tanks have lost the ability to charge or taunt. In Shattered Halls, DPS kept pulling side-packs in the hallway just before the second boss (their Azerite gear's random attacks might have been the culprit). In Arc, tanks had no idea that they needed to pull the Void dudes out of their healing stuff, DPS kept running up ahead of the tank and pulling random adds, no one seemed to understand void zones on the first boss, etc.

As a tank, BM was a breeze. MT had one tough pack. Arc was also super-easy. A little slow, maybe - one DPS complained about the pace - but there were no deaths. Mobs were pulled one at a time when possible, and they were all pulled back so that those that had fears didn't aggro other mobs. The DPS who complained about the pace got a "Please let me pull everything. If you continue trying to pull for the group, I will vote to kick you. If the group doesn't kick you, I'll leave, and you can find a new tank" warning, and they stopped.

• Options
    I tanked/healed a buncha TBC TWs for the mount. So lemme say, right off the bat, for Arcatraz, kill the mobs in the starting room. Killing the blood elves there stops the constant spawning of proteans. The ones that are there still hit like a truck, but they won't keep spawning, so you won't have to run it gauntlet-style.

As for my general experience, the fact of the matter is that a lot of DPS players are assholes, and I was regularly just dropping groups as soon as I saw misbehaviour. The melee mobs in these dungeons are completely overtuned right now. Shattered Halls is brutal, because the orcs are doing a ton of damage, but that's always been the case. Mana-Tomb meleers are also hitting for a ton. In the Slave Pens, 3 crabs are putting me into red stagger (on BRM), whereas the 6-crab pull put me up to like 200% stagger. I don't know what the hell's going on with the stat squish - maybe it's coming from physical DoTs that didn't get squished properly - but it was very obvious that melee mobs were just beating the shit out of me. Even the first corridor in Shattered Halls is rough - I died on my 370-geared Brewmaster from having 3 of those starter mobs enraged at the same time.

So some asshole DPS in Arcatraz pulling two of the shadow guys at once, then yelling at me to get them out of the dark stuff, when I'm 1) getting feared because you pulled two like an asshole, and 2) am trying not to die -> instant drop. The healer who decided to run forward to aggro a bunch of the Shattered Hall trash at once -> instant drop. I was running them as tank/healer so I could get the Call to Arms bonus, but even if I were dps, I'd be dropping, cuz those groups were doomed.

And a lot of DPS players just did not get what was going on. Had one say that I should be pulling more, cuz this is just LFG we ain't gonna die, and I'm like... you're not looking at my health numbers at all, you're not seeing my blow 50% of my mana healing a trash pull.

And actually, if any dungeon gave me problems, it was Magister's Terrace. A lot of people don't know how to skip the packs safely, and they're engaging while I'm trying to LoS pull, and grabbing AoE aggro on a buncha casters is a paaain. So above and beyond the stat squish being wonky, and people forgetting the dungeon, people are also not respecting the new aggro changes.

Easiest dungeon? Black Morass. Mini-bosses were not creaming me. And the lack of pull shenanigans meant that DPS players couldn't fuck it up.

• Options
    We killed the belves in the starting room but we still had to do the shit gauntlet.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    We killed the belves in the starting room but we still had to do the shit gauntlet.

As I understand it, the shit hallway still exists, but you no longer have to treat it like a gauntlet and run it all at once. Whatever you kill stays dead, so you can use smaller pulls, which is important, because all the mobs are melee so they're hitting for a ton right now.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/2211922052

hippofant on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It can be a bit of a hassle to find a mythic 0 group but like, not thaat much of a hassle. Standards for mythic 0s are pretty low at this point and the idea that you’re getting taunted for forming one is frankly not very believable

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.