Options

[WoW] The war fronts moves on Stromgarde!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    hippofant wrote: »
    I tanked/healed a buncha TBC TWs for the mount. So lemme say, right off the bat, for Arcatraz, kill the mobs in the starting room. Killing the blood elves there stops the constant spawning of proteans. The ones that are there still hit like a truck, but they won't keep spawning, so you won't have to run it gauntlet-style.

As for my general experience, the fact of the matter is that a lot of DPS players are assholes, and I was regularly just dropping groups as soon as I saw misbehaviour. The melee mobs in these dungeons are completely overtuned right now. Shattered Halls is brutal, because the orcs are doing a ton of damage, but that's always been the case. Mana-Tomb meleers are also hitting for a ton. In the Slave Pens, 3 crabs are putting me into red stagger (on BRM), whereas the 6-crab pull put me up to like 200% stagger. I don't know what the hell's going on with the stat squish - maybe it's coming from physical DoTs that didn't get squished properly - but it was very obvious that melee mobs were just beating the shit out of me. Even the first corridor in Shattered Halls is rough - I died on my 370-geared Brewmaster from having 3 of those starter mobs enraged at the same time.

So some asshole DPS in Arcatraz pulling two of the shadow guys at once, then yelling at me to get them out of the dark stuff, when I'm 1) getting feared because you pulled two like an asshole, and 2) am trying not to die -> instant drop. The healer who decided to run forward to aggro a bunch of the Shattered Hall trash at once -> instant drop. I was running them as tank/healer so I could get the Call to Arms bonus, but even if I were dps, I'd be dropping, cuz those groups were doomed.

And a lot of DPS players just did not get what was going on. Had one say that I should be pulling more, cuz this is just LFG we ain't gonna die, and I'm like... you're not looking at my health numbers at all, you're not seeing my blow 50% of my mana healing a trash pull.

And actually, if any dungeon gave me problems, it was Magister's Terrace. A lot of people don't know how to skip the packs safely, and they're engaging while I'm trying to LoS pull, and grabbing AoE aggro on a buncha casters is a paaain. So above and beyond the stat squish being wonky, and people forgetting the dungeon, people are also not respecting the new aggro changes.

Easiest dungeon? Black Morass. Mini-bosses were not creaming me. And the lack of pull shenanigans meant that DPS players couldn't fuck it up.
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    That problem is 100% caused by multiple difficulty levels. That was not ever a thing in vanilla or TBC. Sure there were heroic dungeons in TBC but they didn't give anywhere close to the best gear and were obsolete like halfway through the expansion. Wrath is when they started throwing out heroic raids and it's just been a shitshow ever since. They stopped individually itemizing gear and now it all just comes off a formula and you just plug numbers into a simulator. Hiding ilvl would do nothing because people would just require some outside thing like raider.io or an addon like gearscore. They would need to fundamentally change how gear and difficulties are even done in the game but they arent going to do that. They would have to completely get rid of different difficulty settings to so people couldnt require gear from X+1 difficulty to do X.

Just on the subject of getting into a m0 though. It takes like 15 minutes to queue for a heroic as dps, and it has never taken me 15 minutes to get into a m0 on any character as dps. There has to be a fundamentally wrong way someone would go about it to not be able to put a group together. Finding people for a group has been a core part of the game since literally day 1, and that is the only difference between a heroic and a M0. The only thing that may slim down available players is that some of the dungeons in bfa require rep/quests to unlock. Having even a couple people on your friends list almost completely eliminates any problems with groups simply because chances are one of them has a tank or a healer they can hop on if you arent playing one yourself. It's really just that wow is a pretty crap solo player game these days.
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Just on the subject of getting into a m0 though. It takes like 15 minutes to queue for a heroic as dps, and it has never taken me 15 minutes to get into a m0 on any character as dps. There has to be a fundamentally wrong way someone would go about it to not be able to put a group together. Finding people for a group has been a core part of the game since literally day 1, and that is the only difference between a heroic and a M0. The only thing that may slim down available players is that some of the dungeons in bfa require rep/quests to unlock. Having even a couple people on your friends list almost completely eliminates any problems with groups simply because chances are one of them has a tank or a healer they can hop on if you arent playing one yourself. It's really just that wow is a pretty crap solo player game these days.

Your post has two statements in it that I think are revealing.
    • It takes like 15 minutes to queue for a heroic as dps
    • It has never taken me 15 minutes to get into a m0 on any character as dps
    I added emphasis onto one important word.

When you queue for a dungeon, the limiting factor is almost always tanks and healers, in some order. When a DPS wants to create a new Mythic 0 group, the result is often that you see three DPS in a group, hoping that a healer or tank will magically decide to grace them with their presence. I suspect, and unfortunately have only anecdotal knowledge of the issue and no real data, that the population ratios of DPS/healers/tanks in Mythic isn't much difference than the ratio in lesser dungeons.

If you're getting a group in short order, that implies that other people are probably taking significantly longer to get a group. Maybe you know the magic words to attract tanks ("Huge Wang Deeps LFM!"?). Maybe you're clever enough to wait until you see a tank or healer making a group and pounce on it as soon as it appears. Maybe you're gifted by the Titans, blessed with quick groups. Maybe you just have a good Raider.io score. Or whatever the case may be. An alternative is that other DPS have simply stopped trying to find Mythic groups; the surplus of groups with three DPS, no tank and no healer in the group finder indicates to me that that is unlikely as a majority of the reason for your success in finding quick groups.
    Bros and sises and others, that was not my post.

Yeah, how on earth did shadowhope's post end up misattributing a quote of Enigmedic's that came after the post by hippofant it's linking to? I've seen erroneous quotes before when person A cuts down a quote of a post by person B to respond to something B quoted from person C, but this sequence doesn't make sense.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I dunno. The best I can figure is that I had a draft post at some point responding to hippofant or had randomly accidentally hit quote on a hippofant post at some point, and then quoted Enigmedic's post, and then removed everything up to the first quote.

On a different note: those daily Anniversary quests are a nice little gold boost. I've got my characters stationed next to the guy, and it ends up being close to 1,000 gold a day for basically just logging in and logging out.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I almost feel guilty not taking advantage of the 14% exp boost. I should be levelling my alts these 2 weeks but then ill feel obligated to get them geared up and getting the 7th legion/honorbound rep for the war campaign, and all that stuff is kind of abusive to do over and over. Ive also been forgetting to use the boost before doing world quests and emissaries or checking my followers.

Just an aside about rep. The proudmoore admiralty seems so much slower to gain than any other rep. There arent many follower missions for it, there arent a lot of good wqs in the zone, and the emmisary seems to come up less often than other ones. Its horde counterpart the zandalari empire is the fastest to get on my horde character. Just seems like a weird situation because the admiralty is required to unlock the allied race and its a bitch to get rep for.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I thought "Well I have some down time, and don't want to level any alts in WoW right now. Maybe I'll pick up FF14 with my buddies again."

FF14 is a beautiful game with some great systems, like the job system, but the quests are so awful.

Talk to this guy, now go meet him on the other side of this map. Then go back to where you talked to him, then back, ok kill 3 things, ok run around and talk to the guy in three positions again. Now your done.

I think if FF14 and WoW had a baby it would be the best MMO ever

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Relevant comic:
    i-5SpGRMQ-2100x20000.jpg

For me it'd be WoW's world, City of Heroes' character customization and general player community, and Wild Star's gameplay. Yeah... haven't had much luck with MMO's.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Do stacks of Reorigination Array that you earn in LFR carry up to Normal or Heroic? Or do stacks have to be earned in each difficulty?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Reorigination Array is difficulty-agnostic.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    If you've got the time, it's not a bad idea to blitz the first part of Uldir on LFR to get your next stack. Groups can usually survive MOTHER at this point.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    More nerfs coming to Uldir - specifically mythic - targeting the more annoying bosses.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288790/upcoming-changes-to-uldir-for-november-27th-nerfs-to-fetid-devourer-mythrax-and-
    We're going to make some changes to Uldir that will go live with scheduled weekly maintenance next week. Here's what we're currently working on:

Mythrax
    Visions of Madness no longer strictly prefer to target ranged players with Mind Flay.
    N'raqi Destroyer health reduced by 10%.

Fetid Devourer
    Shockwave Stomp damage reduced by 20% on Mythic difficulty.
    Putrid Paroxysm damage reduced by 20% on Mythic difficulty.
    Mutated Mass and Corruption Corpuscle health reduced by 10% on Mythic difficulty.

G'huun
    Gibbering Horrors health reduced by 10% on Mythic Difficulty.
    The number of Bursting Boils per cast reduced by 1 on Mythic Difficulty.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I thought "Well I have some down time, and don't want to level any alts in WoW right now. Maybe I'll pick up FF14 with my buddies again."

FF14 is a beautiful game with some great systems, like the job system, but the quests are so awful.

Talk to this guy, now go meet him on the other side of this map. Then go back to where you talked to him, then back, ok kill 3 things, ok run around and talk to the guy in three positions again. Now your done.

That was my biggest problem with ff14. Everything else about it was really cool, but the barrage of loading screens just to click through dialogue and then go back was stupid. At least the travel all over the world quests in vanilla wow gave cool weapons or were for class spells. My computer would probably catch on fire trying to play ff14 now though after all the expansions. I cant wait for the multicore usage for wow, hopefully i can get some better performance.

• Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    If you've got the time, it's not a bad idea to blitz the first part of Uldir on LFR to get your next stack. Groups can usually survive MOTHER at this point.

I think that I've only ever been in one wipe on MOTHER in LFR. I've had a couple where there were fewer than 10 people alive at the end, but the fight is very forgiving on LFR. G'Huun and Zul's trash are the PUG killers.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Relevant comic:

<snip>

For me it'd be WoW's world, City of Heroes' character customization and general player community, and Wild Star's gameplay. Yeah... haven't had much luck with MMO's.

I think you need to include games like Monster Hunter, Warframe and Destiny in the mix as well, that's basically what the MMO genre has evolved into. I'd take the gameplay of any of those games with the world of WoW, the flat level cap of GW2, and the multiclassing of FF14.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    mother on LFR is pretty easy you can mostly kill her without even needing to go into the third room these days. When it first came out there were some wipes as people had no gear.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Gimme Dark Souls: The MMO

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Bucketman wrote: »

I'm getting back into FF14 again with some of the announcements, but yeah I agree. I think the MSQ have some great cut scenes and decent writing, but far too much back and forth with the questing in that game. I'm generally glad to leave it behind once I've done it and level alt jobs doing anything else. Although I think they did a good job with the beast tribe daily quests.

But I have that same thought about wishing they would at least steal from each other more all the time.

soylenth on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I think a lot of the problem with the MSQ (especially the post-launch stuff) was that it was released in chunks spread out across content patches.

Granted, there's important story stuff that comes up, but there's a *lot* if you're playing it straight through nowadays. It'd be nice if Shadowbringers came with one of the MSQ boosts that they have on the shop that lets you skip ahead.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I've played most of the story as it came out, I agree it's quite a lot to just plow straight through at this point. Easy to burn out.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I will say I'm glad I only ever have to play through it once, since you're allowed to switch jobs freely instead of having to make a alt and level up again and go through all the content you already saw again to play a different class.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Got my first 340 today after dinging 120. It was a chest piece that requires a minimum of heart of azeroth level 14 to unlock the first ring. I'm at level 13.

/rage

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Got my first 340 today after dinging 120. It was a chest piece that requires a minimum of heart of azeroth level 14 to unlock the first ring. I'm at level 13.

/rage

Don't worry, that'll fly up through doing stuff, and it'll only get faster each week.

• Options
    How do I get world quests to show up on the map in Legion? As a 120?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Lucascraft wrote: »

You need to have a friendly reputation with the three zone specific factions (and maybe the war campaign faction, I forget).

edit; The war campaign part is that you need to have unlocked all three main bases on the opposing island.

edit2; Alts don't need the rep, but they do need to do the war campaign quests.

edit3; Oh, Legion. Friendly with the five Broken Isles factions (not Legionfall or the two Argus ones) and then Khadgar gives you a quest.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Do you mean the L110 Legion quests or the L120 BFA quests?

Shadowhope on
  • Options

The 110 Legion world quests. My map doesn't have them. It might be a rep problem as reVerse suggested. I might not be friendly with everyone. I've never even stepped foot in Stormheim on the character in question.

• Options

The 110 Legion world quests. My map doesn't have them. It might be a rep problem as reVerse suggested. I might not be friendly with everyone. I've never even stepped foot in Stormheim on the character in question.

If you had Legion World Quests enabled on another character, IIRC you can go to Khadgar to get them unlocked on the new character.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    . I've never even stepped foot in Stormheim on the character in question.
    Found your issue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Found your issue.

You can unlock world quests without having been to whatever zone, as long as you've fulfilled the requirements and unlocked world quests on another character.

• Options
    Found your issue.

You can unlock world quests without having been to whatever zone, as long as you've fulfilled the requirements and unlocked world quests on another character.

Yes, but given what else he said i think he skipped Legion when it was current.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No, I didn't skip legion. I've got WQs on other characters. I guess I need to talk to Khadgar and see if he will unlock them for me.

I'm just playing an alt right now and need to get some Blood of Sargeras. The easiest way to do this is through WQs but I was surprised that none were on my world map.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    No, I didn't skip legion. I've got WQs on other characters. I guess I need to talk to Khadgar and see if he will unlock them for me.

I'm just playing an alt right now and need to get some Blood of Sargeras. The easiest way to do this is through WQs but I was surprised that none were on my world map.

There's a lot of weird stuff with Legion alts getting to skip content, but only if you talk to the right NPC in Dalaran... somewhere. I think some of those used to pop up automatically upon zoning in, but now you have to go find Khadgar.

• Options
    In the past day I've gone from 280 ilvl to 326. It's making a big difference playing the game.

I also did lfr Uldir. I hate the G'huun fight.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    In the past day I've gone from 280 ilvl to 326. It's making a big difference playing the game.

Go do the Warfront scenario if you're Horde! Then you'll be 340!

hippofant on
  • Options

Alliance, Super Glowy Space Goat

oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Alliance, Super Glowy Space Goat

THEN DIAF :mad:
    J/k

hippofant on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    because this is how fish work

ucgxd6vdj1el.png

• Options
    You're right. Saw sharks should be deep in the ocean.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Not sure who all saw this posted on MMO-Champion. Granted, while this should be taken with a grain of salt, this part did catch my eye would explain some really sub-par, or down-right shitty, decisions on Blizz's part with BfA.
    This year, however, Blizzard employees say that one of the biggest ongoing conversations has been cutting costs. To fans, and even to some people who work or have worked at Blizzard, there’s a concern that something deep within the company’s culture may be changing.

This would explain why BfA was released roughly two months early in August, rather than around November. Probably also explains why the did the absolutely dumbass thing of not really testing low end content or some of the event account, given it costs money to do proper quality control on that content, but if you're an asshole that just cares about cutting costs, why bother making sure a stat squish and some class and spec overhauls, don't have major problems for gameplay enjoyment. Hell, probably why time-walking stuff has been a shit show in some WotLK dungeons, an absolute shit show with TBC stuff and why the worlds bosses for the 14th anniversary should just fuck off (not sure if they were that awful in Vanilla, but got are they awful). I'd also say that's why Islands are probably so half baked (I'm still on the fence if this is content that survived because of sunk cost fallacy or if it just wasn't given enough development time before being released.

• Options
    Vanilla world bosses were that awful back then. Raiding was considered an elite activity back then and the world bosses spawned once per week meaning only a single raid group would get the kill. Usually the best or second best guild on server.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Vanilla world bosses were that awful back then. Raiding was considered an elite activity back then and the world bosses spawned once per week meaning only a single raid group would get the kill. Usually the best or second best guild on server.

I do hope in vanilla revisited they learned how certain guild kept those bosses on lockdown to prevent others from seeing it

This discussion has been closed.