As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] Talk About Your Heavy Weather Here

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Lake Norman is in fucking Charlotte, you orange tool. On the other side of the state.

This fucking guy.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I mean, you can’t really say you weren’t warned about this storm. They did a pretty damn good job predicting this thing IMO

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump thinks finders keepers might apply to yachts that washed up in the hurricane.

NYT reporter:

My brain.

I'm pretty sure the 100% real person who told him their insurance company might not pay for the damage could have also provided the name; if he was actually worried about it and not distracted by the novelty of a boat on the land.

(And it wasn't even his boat! Who knew Hurricanes were so wild?)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Trump thinks finders keepers might apply to yachts that washed up in the hurricane.

NYT reporter:

My brain.

Also, it turns out that the law does not recognize "dibs":

18 USC §1658(a) makes it a federal crime to plunder a lost, wrecked, stranded, cast away, or distressed vessel.
    A Crime A day is a Twitter account that is listing the criminal statute, one crime a day.

So no, that yacht in your yard is not yours.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

NYT reporter:

My brain.

18 USC §1658(a) makes it a federal crime to plunder a lost, wrecked, stranded, cast away, or distressed vessel.
    A Crime A day is a Twitter account that is listing the criminal statute, one crime a day.

Yeah, but that's just a law. Like this President has any familiarity with laws or the consequences thereof of not following them.

Yet.

But yeah, "Grab everything you can that isn't nailed down, and pry it up if it is" is definitely this President's motto.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

NYT reporter:

My brain.

You just have to say "legitimate salvage" then its ok.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I mean, you can’t really say you weren’t warned about this storm. They did a pretty damn good job predicting this thing IMO

Bullshit they can't control the weather, we know the truth.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

NYT reporter:

My brain.

Nah just charge the owner for boat parking.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    The Carolinas: North America's Australia.

Florida's right here y'all.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The sea levels have risen. By about 6 inches. Higher seas mean higher coastal flooding from the same storm surge strength, and higher coastal flooding means longer lasting and higher inland flooding. So hurricanes could remain the exact same strength, and simply higher sea levels would mean more damage to low lying coastal states like the ones I describe.

How much of the sea level rise is attributable to which sources? Glaciers have obviously retreated significantly (I've visited a few and the pictures from, say, 1910 vs. the terrain you say today is unbelievable). Is the bulk of it from Greenland or Antarctic melting or what?

Absurdly the breakdown goes like this...

2 inches of sea level rise is due to glaciers melting
    2 inches of sea level rise is due to Antarctic and Greenland melting
    4 inches is (and I had a hard time believing this until I did the calculations) THE THERMAL EXPANSION OF THE OCEAN.

Oh yes, if it gets 3 C warmer, even if we can somehow contain all the extra water in a giant bath, the ocean will still get a foot deeper just due to thermal expansion. Thats how deep the damn ocean is. It's nutty. Even if you don't think glaciers melt, or if you think that the Antarctic floats, then if it gets warmer, the sea still gets deeper just because the water gets bigger.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

C'mon now, it's not the wildlife that'll kill people in Florida.

It's the Floridians.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Sorce wrote: »

It's the Floridians.

In addition to their own crop of snakes, spiders, alligators, and crocodiles, Florida has invasive piranhas, northern snakeheads, various large constrictors, large lizards, a couple troops of monkies known for messing with people, and armored catfish that while harmless to humans have learned to love the taste of manatee skin.

It isn't quite Australia in terms of terror beasts, but they're clearly working on getting there.

Hevach on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The sea levels have risen. By about 6 inches. Higher seas mean higher coastal flooding from the same storm surge strength, and higher coastal flooding means longer lasting and higher inland flooding. So hurricanes could remain the exact same strength, and simply higher sea levels would mean more damage to low lying coastal states like the ones I describe.

How much of the sea level rise is attributable to which sources? Glaciers have obviously retreated significantly (I've visited a few and the pictures from, say, 1910 vs. the terrain you say today is unbelievable). Is the bulk of it from Greenland or Antarctic melting or what?

4 inches is (and I had a hard time believing this until I did the calculations) THE THERMAL EXPANSION OF THE OCEAN.

Oh yes, if it gets 3 C warmer, even if we can somehow contain all the extra water in a giant bath, the ocean will still get a foot deeper just due to thermal expansion. Thats how deep the damn ocean is. It's nutty. Even if you don't think glaciers melt, or if you think that the Antarctic floats, then if it gets warmer, the sea still gets deeper just because the water gets bigger.

Holy shit. And it's only been a few degrees so far. Yiiikes.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

0.8 degree C so far.

It's sometimes easier to think in terms of percentage: the average Earth tempature now is 5% hotter than 1880.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

It's the Floridians.

This almost never happens repeatedly. Everyone here gets one.
    Hevach wrote: »

It's the Floridians.

In addition to their own crop of snakes, spiders, alligators, and crocodiles, Florida has invasive piranhas, northern snakeheads, various large constrictors, large lizards, a couple troops of monkies known for messing with people, and armored catfish that while harmless to humans have learned to love the taste of manatee skin.

It isn't quite Australia in terms of terror beasts, but they're clearly working on getting there.

You forgot our impressive cornucopia of poisonous plants and algae.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

0.8 degree C so far.

It's sometimes easier to think in terms of percentage: the average Earth tempature now is 5% hotter than 1880.

Well this is just a bad way of thinking about it because it depends on where the zero point of your scale is, F gives a different answer than C and obviously K is wildly different

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Oh, screw you! We have our problems, sure. But that's an insulting comparison, and you know it.

:)

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

NYT reporter:

My brain.

Nah just charge the owner for boat parking.

Eh, Trump isn't too far off, in fairness. In NC an owner of a derilect vehicle is required to promply remove it, if the owner cannot be found the property either becomes property of the land owner if they want it or state if they do not. If the owner can be found, but does not promptly remove it, they can be liable for storage fees and damages against the property (lost use, clean up for any oil/fuel spillage, etc), and if they do not remove it after a certain point the land owner could claim it as abandoned (which requires a determination by the state agency responsible for fish and wildlife in the case of boats) and the owner of the vehicle could even be subject to criminal penalties for illegal disposal of a vehicle (which is a felony).

Unlike some states, where you have situations where a possessor of a title can make claims up to 30 years after abandoning a vehicle, the law in NC is not friendly towards possessors of abandoned or derelict property.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Fucking lack of elite accountability. Hey Dave, who can we get to write an op-ed defending the response to Hurricane Maria? How about Michael Brown, the horse show guy who fucked up Katrina. Great!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

It's the Floridians.
    In addition to their own crop of snakes [...] Florida has invasive [...] large constrictors [...].

HEY! I haven't been there since Hurricane Irma! D:

Chimera on
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular

Sure looks like we will have a medicane sooner than later! Just in time for my boss to take a two week long trip to Italy! :P

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Fucking lack of elite accountability. Hey Dave, who can we get to write an op-ed defending the response to Hurricane Maria? How about Michael Brown, the horse show guy who fucked up Katrina. Great!

Is that even an article you want written?

Michael Brown defending your management of a natural disaster is like Mike Tyson defending your sound judgement and eating habits.

• Options
    edited September 2018

Even if his point is correct (which it is not, FEMA and POTUS failed in their response) his article is still not one that has a glowing endorsement for the Federal Government.
    As Hurricane Maria bore down on the financially, socially and politically crippled island, the Federal Emergency Management Agency was doing precisely what needed to be done when faced with almost third-world circumstances. FEMA was coordinating closely with the Department of Defense to provide the logistical support that FEMA simply does not have for such a situation.

So what this tells me is that a US Territory filled with US Citizens was allowed to devolve into conditions you would expect of a third-world nation, and not of a place that is part of the US and the Federal Government in the lead up to this storm did nothing to try and fix this knowing the threat of a disaster of this scale and scope was not just likely but inevitable. That may even be a worse point to promote than that the response to Maria was slow and ineffective.

Chimera on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/19/us/women-drown-van-south-carolina-floods.html

This seems like a pretty awful story, like some assumptions being made, but I think they are safe assumptions.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    yl74ea4d3c5d.jpg

This just goes to show that no matter what the Saffir-Simpson Scale rating is, you should always look at the big picture of threats a storm is forecast to bring and act accordingly.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

0.8 degree C so far.

Temperature doesn't work that way, absolute temperature (which you can muktiply) starts at 0 Kelvin. You can multiply Celsius or Farenheit like that, it doesn't mean anything.

0.8 C warmer is the right way to put it. Or, for relative comparisons, it means that your popsicle will melt 5% quicker on the average day today compared to 1880 ;)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Honestly the more I see and learn about hurricanes, the more I think the Saffir-Simpson Scale is too simple. Wasn't there some other rating system that worked off of total energy output of the storm or something? Anyway, just wind alone isn't sufficiently descriptive, I feel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Honestly the more I see and learn about hurricanes, the more I think the Saffir-Simpson Scale is too simple. Wasn't there some other rating system that worked off of total energy output of the storm or something? Anyway, just wind alone isn't sufficiently descriptive, I feel.

The problem is that one threat can really skew a single scale that is built to encompass all threats combined. The SS scale is designed only to warn on the highest sustained winds in a storm, which is a small area near the edge of the eye. Every hurricane is unique in its size and threats. Using one scale to try and encompass all of that would be impossible. The size of a storm, the speed of a storm, the diameter of a storm, the type of hurricane it is (annular or asymmetric), does the landfall timing match high-tide, what angle is it hitting the coast at, what is the topography of the cost, what environmental factors are in play like topography, etc. The best way to warn for a storm like this is to warn on each individual threat separately instead of focusing solely on the Saffir-Simpson rating. One thing about this storm that I found from interacting with the people there is that this time they were well warned and knew the timing and severity of the threats from the storm. Anyone that was there and was caught off guard by the flooding of other hazards of the storm simply was not listening to the warnings.

Chimera on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »

The problem is that one threat can really skew a single scale that is built to encompass all threats combined. The SS scale is designed only to warn on the highest sustained winds in a storm, which is a small area near the edge of the eye. Every hurricane is unique in its size and threats. Using one scale to try and encompass all of that would be impossible. The size of a storm, the speed of a storm, the diameter of a storm, the type of hurricane it is (annular or asymmetric), does the landfall timing match high-tide, what angle is it hitting the coast at, what is the topography of the cost, what environmental factors are in play like topography, etc. The best way to warn for a storm like this is to warn on each individual threat separately instead of focusing solely on the Saffir-Simpson rating. One thing about this storm that I found from interacting with the people there is that this time they were well warned and knew the timing and severity of the threats from the storm. Anyone that was there and was caught off guard by the flooding of other hazards of the storm simply was not listening to the warnings.

It sounds like NOAA needs to adopt something similar to their space weather warning system. It has separate warnings for possible radio blackouts, radiation threat, and the geomagnetic threats.

My vote would be a scale for expected rainfall, windspeed, and overall size of the storm. I'd also recommend purposefully making it so these scales can't be combined to form an overall rating for the storm, or we will eventually be right where we are now.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Veevee wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »

It sounds like NOAA needs to adopt something similar to their space weather warning system. It has separate warnings for possible radio blackouts, radiation threat, and the geomagnetic threats.

My vote would be a scale for expected rainfall, windspeed, and overall size of the storm. I'd also recommend purposefully making it so these scales can't be combined to form an overall rating for the storm, or we will eventually be right where we are now.

We already have that! The NHC is just responsible for the forecasted track of the storm and what name and rating it is getting and the surge threat. The local NWS offices and the Weather Prediction Center are responsible for the rain and flood forecasts, and the local NWS offices and Storm Prediction Center are responsible for the tornadic threats the landfalling storm can cause. Sure they don't put a numerical rating on the threat but they do issue warnings and watches ahead of time. I would say that most headed the warnings, even inland, and the system worked this time. If you start giving numerical ratings to hurricanes for each impact you lessen the effectiveness of the current warning systems for flood threats generated from non-tropical cyclone storms which do not get names or ratings. At the end of the day, the only improvements that need to be made are by the local and national media. They should focus less on the Saffir-Simpson category and more on the actual threats of the storm. That said the media did a very good job ahead of this storm explaining how big it was and that it would be devastating despite no-longer being a major hurricane before landfall.

The one time the system really broke down and failed was Sandy since it had lost its warm core and was no longer a hurricane at the time of landfall it did not get a hurricane warning and many took the fact that there were not and hurricane warnings as meaning there would not be any surge. Since then the NWS and NHC have created a storm surge warning and watch which has largely solved this issue.

Chimera on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

It's the Floridians.

Don't forget about the giant rats from Africa.

https://www.browardpalmbeach.com/news/giant-rats-wont-die-and-keep-invading-florida-6441028

And also the giant lizard that's a threat to the alligators.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/giant-invasive-lizard-threatens-florida/jPxBBvzbYcr2kQYrTtGtmL/

Also it's worth noting that unlike the venomous snake back home in California, that were mostly very courteous and just wished not to be stepped on, the ones out here are aggressive territorial assholes.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

It's the Floridians.

And yet....

Bath salts.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Bad news, the Cape Fear River is where the surrounding communities get their drinking water.

Good news, the river and municipal water is already so polluted from other sources that most locals and businesses use filtered water anyway.

Status quo news, the poor are pretty fucked in both scenarios.

• Options
    One thing I love about Oklahoma is we don't need a hurricane to have insane rains.

a1o0ki5cwohw.png

Most of that 10inches has fallen since after 12am!

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Well Texoma is like 25 feet low, so that’s good at least

• Options
    At 1239 PM CDT, emergency management reported many of the county
    roads near and south of Ada were impassable. Over nine inches of
    rain have fallen in Fittstown, and rainfall rates over three
    inches per hour are still being observed from Pontotoc to
    Stonewall. Dangerous flash flooding is already occurring.

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for Ada, Pontotoc, Fittstown, and
    Stonewall. This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER
    GROUND NOW!

That's not bad data from the mesonet site, they really have had over 10 inches of rain today!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Well Texoma is like 25 feet low, so that’s good at least

Less than you'd think. Really heavy fast rain after a drought tends to just wash soil away. The water all runs off before soaking in like you need it to.

• Options
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Going through the basement flooding cleanup of a freak 7ish inches of rain in a couple hours in green bay my heart goes out to all those affected. And call the clean up people asap they are going to get super busy so the earlier you get your requests in the better.

This discussion has been closed.