As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] Talk About Your Heavy Weather Here

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    That is a very poor and rural part of Oklahoma. One thing though is basements are not common in that part of the state so its likely just those that live in the bottom of the valleys that are getting the brunt of this flash flooding. Rain ends tomorrow for the most part and should drain off very fast.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Update on everyone's favorite googly eyed American flag.
    ast week, as Hurricane Florence tore through the Carolinas, the American flag stationed at the Frying Pan Tower stood defiant, left there due to emergency evacuations. Thousands of viewers wondered of its fate as the Frying Pan live cam lost its signal. After the storm, Old Glory, nicknamed Kevin by some of our fans, was left in tatters by the wind and rain.
    Richard Neal, owner of the tower, will return tomorrow to honor the flag in a ceremony that you can watch live on explore. On Saturday at 11am ET / 8am PT, Richard will respectfully retire the flag. Before a new one is raised, he'll have to make some repairs on the flagpole. You can tune back in at 2pm ET / 11am PT to watch as he raises a new flag. We're honored to be part of this history.

Emphasis mine. Go Kevin!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Free Kevin!

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Well Texoma is like 25 feet low, so that’s good at least

Less than you'd think. Really heavy fast rain after a drought tends to just wash soil away. The water all runs off before soaking in like you need it to.

Texoma is the major reservoir in that watershed, so yes.

VishNub on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    North Texas has a lot of reservoirs left from the depression that have been waiting to be filled in this time of near constant drought.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I hope they frame kevin. I have a couple flags from hurricane Irma and Matthew. I wish I had gotten one from Harvey and Florence.

• Options
    So it looks like it may be possible that a tropical depression or storm may hit thr same area florence did next week. Needles to say this is not good news for areas still flooded.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Or areas not yet flooded but are flooding-adjacent.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

Trami has140 knot (161 mph) winds, near-perfect annular structure, a large wind field, and is the equivalent of a moderate category 5 hurricane in strength.

Trami is on the verge of an eyewall replacement cycle and will weaken some before becoming a strong cat 5 storm once again, maybe even a little stronger than it is now! You can see the double eyewall structure (bullseye like rigs that form around the eye in the gif) on the latest scan of the Morphed Integrated Microwave Imagery (MIMIC).

mF7eib9.gif

Now with such a well-formed and dangerous storm, you would think we would think the computer models have a good grasp on where this storm is going, well.....

0hpvvqx0abwh.png
    h6rbmkltw92n.png

...you thought wrong. Basically anywhere from Japan to Taiwan needs to watch out for this monster.

Chimera on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Oof. That first map would have Taiwan get hammered.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Basically do not be in in the Asian Pacific area right now.

Japan was already rebuilding from some nasty natural disasters this year. :(

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The floodwaters of Florence are starting to recede in some areas (some coastal rivers are still peaking though - it takes a long time for all that water to pass through). But in those areas where waters are receding, among other problems is the unholy stench of dead fish.

4315422_fishI40.jpg?w=630

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2sFecpWJIM

Firefighters are traveling along I-40 (which you might remember had long stretches deep underwater) hosing the fish off to the side so when the road is reopened drivers won't be making the stench worse by running over the fish and spreading that rotting fish smell everywhere. Still going to stink a lot.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Don't rotting fish have agricultural value?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Don't rotting fish have agricultural value?

Probably less than the expense of collecting them

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I can tell you that the smell of dead fish is CLEARLY in the air. Me and the missus noticed it when we went out this morning. We've been burning candles and running air freshners non-stop for a few days now.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised gulls haven't absolutely mobbed those freeways.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm surprised gulls haven't absolutely mobbed those freeways.

Probably too many fish

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

Trami has140 knot (161 mph) winds, near-perfect annular structure, a large wind field, and is the equivalent of a moderate category 5 hurricane in strength.

I shouldn't stare at that image too long... i swear it's looking back... I'm even getting a weird optical illusion where it looks like the clouds are moving...

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

I shouldn't stare at that image too long... i swear it's looking back... I'm even getting a weird optical illusion where it looks like the clouds are moving...

You are his now

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

The only way to defeat it and save your soul from its grasp is to travel to its eye and make your stand in the center. If you survive you are granted your freedom. Trust me, I'm an expert.

Chimera on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

The only way to defeat it and save your soul from its grasp is to travel to its eye and make your stand in the center. If you survive you are granted your freedom. Trust me, I'm an expert.

I think you are biased.

And at least a little insane.

But a lottle awesome.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

............................ I hate you, I'm seeing the illusion now too. ;_; .

sig.gif
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

If you survive the storm in the center while holding a lightning rod I hear you gain its power as your own.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

If you survive the storm in the center while holding a lightning rod I hear you gain its power as your own.

Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

https://youtu.be/mkCMVMQriGY

Pretend I'm good enough to replace the flag with Mjolnir.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

the same thing that happens to everything else

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

the same thing that happens to everything else

BOOOO! Screw you for making me remember that!

• Options
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

Hurricanes vary rarely have any lightning in them and if they do its confined to the far outer bands (more common when weak or transitioning to extratropical) and inside the eyewall (but only then if it is super intense) and its almost all exclusively intracloud lightning. All the flashes you see in hurricane video isn't lightning. It is powerlines and transformers arcing in the high winds.

(...and yes I am great at parties!)

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

That guy was back for Florence! :D

I did this in the eyewall of Irma but it barely went viral. :C

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

Hurricanes vary rarely have any lightning in them and if they do its confined to the far outer bands (more common when weak or transitioning to extratropical) and inside the eyewall (but only then if it is super intense) and its almost all exclusively intracloud lightning. All the flashes you see in hurricane video isn't lightning. It is powerlines and transformers arcing in the high winds.

(...and yes I am great at parties!)

That’s actually something I was aware of lol. It’s one of those great little factoids to add in while still saying “I dare you to do it”. 😛

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

Link? :biggrin:

• Options
    Georgetown, SC is about to become the Vence of the southeast... a town without streets, totally reliant on boats for travel, and with water so nasty you risk your life to get in it.

rzg10xfb79ln.png

Georgetown lies just shy of the ocean and at the confluence of several rivers that then flow straight into the Winyah Bay and Estuary. Several of these rivers, namely the Black, Waccamaw, and Great Pee Dee River, flow into town from the north (as seen as the pink arrows in the image above). Each of these mentioned rivers sources their water in where the most rain from Florence fell. The Pee Dee and Waccamaw river are currently at historic flood stages to the north of town and all that water is on its way into Georgetown. By the end of today, the flooding will start and it is forecast to continue on until after the weekend. During this time parts of town will see AT LEAST 10 feet of flooding. Not up to, or right at, but AT LEAST 10 feet of flooding. To further complicate matters the Winyah Bay and the waters of the rivers feeding into it are also affected by the tides and so with each high tide, the flooding will get worse.

To give you an idea of how bad the flooding will be, below is the current flood gage just shy of the crest of the flood of just ONE of these rivers.

1vf6st8ddoj9.png

This is just one of the multiple rivers draining into Georgetown and each will bring the crest of their floods into town at about the same time, making for a dire situation. This will likely end up being the worst flooding yet of Florence and just goes to show how long the direct impacts of even a category 1 hurricane can linger if the conditions are right.

From here the water will flow straight out to sea so that we can close at least this chapter of a still ongoing disaster for the Carolinas.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

NOPE! :D

Sorry I don't share shots on here that have me in it but just picture me in category 2 hurricane winds with a big American flag and "rock you like a hurricane" blaring. I was wearing a coat though so maybe its because I wasn't topless like Florida Man was.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Georgetown, SC is about to become the Vence of the southeast... a town without streets, totally reliant on boats for travel, and with water so nasty you risk your life to get in it.

rzg10xfb79ln.png

Georgetown lies just shy of the ocean and at the confluence of several rivers that then flow straight into the Winyah Bay and Estuary. Several of these rivers, namely the Black, Waccamaw, and Great Pee Dee River, flow into town from the north (as seen as the pink arrows in the image above). Each of these mentioned rivers sources their water in where the most rain from Florence fell. The Pee Dee and Waccamaw river are currently at historic flood stages to the north of town and all that water is on its way into Georgetown. By the end of today, the flooding will start and it is forecast to continue on until after the weekend. During this time parts of town will see AT LEAST 10 feet of flooding. Not up to, or right at, but AT LEAST 10 feet of flooding. To further complicate matters the Winyah Bay and the waters of the rivers feeding into it are also affected by the tides and so with each high tide, the flooding will get worse.

To give you an idea of how bad the flooding will be, below is the current flood gage just shy of the crest of the flood of just ONE of these rivers.

1vf6st8ddoj9.png

This is just one of the multiple rivers draining into Georgetown and each will bring the crest of their floods into town at about the same time, making for a dire situation. This will likely end up being the worst flooding yet of Florence and just goes to show how long the direct impacts of even a category 1 hurricane can linger if the conditions are right.

From here the water will flow straight out to sea so that we can close at least this chapter of a still ongoing disaster for the Carolinas.

Just for the fun of it, I pulled up a gage for both branches of the Pee Dee to see what the crest of that flood was like and this is what it is showing is current. Keep in mind that the river is considered to be experiencing flooding when it reaches 19ft (first gage pictured), and 9ft deep (second gage pictured). Also, you will notice that I am posting two separate gages. These are for different branches of the river that are at peak flooding right now. These two arms of the river have yet to meet at the gages I selected so just look at them as two separate rivers that come together before making it to Georgetown, where they then merge with the Waccamaw.

le961bewz1kl.png
    wwdcpmvxfekc.png

The crest of this water should arrive at nearly the same time the crest of the Waccamaw arrives in Georgetown.

Chimera on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's looking really bad and with the rain coming through later this week all the worse :/

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Meet Super Typhoon Trami

zuokqm912oql.png

You are his now

NOPE! :D

Sorry I don't share shots on here that have me in it but just picture me in category 2 hurricane winds with a big American flag and "rock you like a hurricane" blaring. I was wearing a coat though so maybe its because I wasn't topless like Florida Man was.

No problem, I figured that was probably the case :)

Also, awesome :+1:

• Options
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Here's a link to the USGS station on the Pee Dee River immediately before it joins with the Waccamaw Rivier. The station is just a gage height station, but it also shows the oscillations between the tides

v1vewctixbjs.png

I hope everyone in Georgetown SC has moved their stuff to the third floor, if they can, because I don't think the second floor of most buildings is going to stay dry.

Edit: Here's the USGS station on the Waccamaw about 7.75 miles before it converges with the Pee Dee

Veevee on
  • Options
    @VishNub you wont have any rain this weekend in Broken Bow but it will be up in the 80s with lows in the 60s and scattered clouds in the afternoon which should be perfect for fishing.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Try again, please. Temps have to drop below 60 or I'm never going to get any sleep.

This discussion has been closed.