As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The need a weird Genesis mini with all the weird games.

JVC X'eye Mini?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    x16l7otpvqf11.png

Beyond Oasis is the best not-Zelda game ever made and its always been one of the best looking games for the system.

I'm glad it's included.

The art and animation are really well done.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    x16l7otpvqf11.png

Beyond Oasis is the best not-Zelda game ever made and its always been one of the best looking games for the system.

I'm glad it's included.

Even better than Alundra?! :O

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Zython wrote: »
    x16l7otpvqf11.png

I'm glad it's included.

Even better than Alundra?! :O
    I think Alundra is great, but while Beyond Oasis loses to Alundra in terms of story, BO is prettier and has better game play, imo.

The music is more memorable for me, but I'm willing to believe that aspect might be nostalgia more than anything.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Beyond Oasis is awesome, but fuck that spider boss specifically.

• Options
    I remember having an issue with the bird(?) boss at the mountain top because it's a pain to reach and I ran out of food.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    SteevL wrote: »
    [*] Street Fighter II
    Bahahaha! I knew they were going to pull this shit despite having the 3-button controller.

Edit:
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So we are getting Street Fighter II, but they're still giving us the shit 3-button controller.

Come on...
    They also announced you can buy a 6-button controller for $20 separately.
    Sounds to me like a $20 middle finger.

forty on
  • Options
    I guess I'm just not a huge fighting game fan and had no issues with the 3-button controller when I was a kid since it was (I think) the standard in the US.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Also, I'm assuming that's supposed to be Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition? Because technically (vanilla) Street Fighter II was never released on Genesis.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Also, I'm assuming that's supposed to be Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition? Because technically (vanilla) Street Fighter II was never released on Genesis.
    It is SCE.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    No Ristar and no Dynamite Headdy means no sale

• Options
    The Mickey games and Contra Hard Corps. makes me interested, but I already have too many Genesis consoles.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    No Ristar and no Dynamite Headdy means no sale

They still have 10 games left to reveal.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The Mickey games and Contra Hard Corps. makes me interested, but I already have too many Genesis consoles.

I feel the same way in sorts, realistically I can also put them on my snes mini. If they manage to not fuck it up though, I think it may be a buy for me. Definately waiting for reviews on it, because they always fuck it up somehow, but I think they might not this time. ALthough the lack of 6 button controllers bundled is a little concerning. SF 2 sucks on a 3 button, I remember it as a kid. Part of ther eawson I prefered MK.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I remember having a discussion once about slowdown with a friend & former co-worker who was a huge retro gamer (bear in mind this was the mid-2000s). In fact he was the guy who alerted me to the existence of Gradius V when he bought a Japanese import copy.

His take on it - and one I agreed with - was that while slowdown could simply be due to technical limitations, a good developer could actually use it to their advantage, strategically effectively forcing it in places where it could add to the experience. Gradius V was a good example, albeit one where it occurred in non-gameplay-critical moments; when you have a climactic moment such as defeating an end-of-level boss, the resulting explosions involved so much going on that even a machine like the PS2 ended up displaying significant slowdown. But because of where it was, it was pretty obviously deliberate, and actually serves to increase the drama of the moment.

//https://youtu.be/thgyDuh8mA0

3:50 in that video. Wait for the final big explosion.

While looking for that, I found another video of a guy playing it on an emulator on PC:

//https://youtu.be/7entKfMiHRI

There's no visible slowdown there at all, lending credence to Treasure deliberately pushing the PS2 too hard to achieve a little slowdown for dramatic effect.

Thankfully that slowdown is present and correct in the PS3 PSN release, which is one of those games that appears to be emulating the PS2 in software (my PS3 is not a backwards compatible model), and very accurately too - I played a lot of that game on my old PS2, not that I was ever particularly good at it, so I got very familiar with that level 1 boss :lol:

Anyway, yeah. Obviously not all devs are Treasure level and of course it wasn't always an artistic choice in every game. But it could be, and when used carefully it could be a pretty cool effect.

When Star Fox 64 first showed up on the Wii VC, it ran a locked fps. Bombs and boss explosions caused no slowdown. Within a month it was the first VC game patched, bringing the dramatic slowdown back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPx5dbu1ZME

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    What Sega is doing correct for me is getting some of the more out there and oddball games you wouldn't expect. It has all of the Sega mainstays that you would expect, but then added the two Mickey games, Earthworm Jim, Wily Wars, and Contra.

It is those weird unexpected games that sold me on the Genesis Mini.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    I remember having a discussion once about slowdown with a friend & former co-worker who was a huge retro gamer (bear in mind this was the mid-2000s). In fact he was the guy who alerted me to the existence of Gradius V when he bought a Japanese import copy.

His take on it - and one I agreed with - was that while slowdown could simply be due to technical limitations, a good developer could actually use it to their advantage, strategically effectively forcing it in places where it could add to the experience. Gradius V was a good example, albeit one where it occurred in non-gameplay-critical moments; when you have a climactic moment such as defeating an end-of-level boss, the resulting explosions involved so much going on that even a machine like the PS2 ended up displaying significant slowdown. But because of where it was, it was pretty obviously deliberate, and actually serves to increase the drama of the moment.

//https://youtu.be/thgyDuh8mA0

3:50 in that video. Wait for the final big explosion.

While looking for that, I found another video of a guy playing it on an emulator on PC:

//https://youtu.be/7entKfMiHRI

There's no visible slowdown there at all, lending credence to Treasure deliberately pushing the PS2 too hard to achieve a little slowdown for dramatic effect.

Thankfully that slowdown is present and correct in the PS3 PSN release, which is one of those games that appears to be emulating the PS2 in software (my PS3 is not a backwards compatible model), and very accurately too - I played a lot of that game on my old PS2, not that I was ever particularly good at it, so I got very familiar with that level 1 boss :lol:

Anyway, yeah. Obviously not all devs are Treasure level and of course it wasn't always an artistic choice in every game. But it could be, and when used carefully it could be a pretty cool effect.

When Star Fox 64 first showed up on the Wii VC, it ran a locked fps. Bombs and boss explosions caused no slowdown. Within a month it was the first VC game patched, bringing the dramatic slowdown back.
    *snip*

I think it was also during an Iwata Asks going over the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time. The devs had a perfect framerate all throughout. But when they got to the final Ganon fight, it just looked wrong, and they went back and lowered the framerate for that section. Because the low framerate made Ganon's move look properly weighty and powerful, and that just wasn't there at a smooth 30fps.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    It is amazing what they changed on th 3DS.https://youtu.be/sk6c43tSsRo

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    OoT 3DS is how people remember the game to have been
    it's a 100% positive replacement of the older version, IMO.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    They did some gameplay changes to Majora's Mask 3DS, but they seemed fine.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really hope they port both of those to Switch. They look great, and deserve to be on the big screen too.

• Options
    I only ever played the N64 version.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    It is kinda weird because Sonic 3 was on the Sonic Collection back on the PS2 and Gamecube.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Mega_Collection

Also, Jackson was booted from the project and was uncredited.

I think Jackson's estate started gold digging on Sonic 3 after he died.

Everybody forgets Awesome Possum.

I've heard tell that it might not be Jackson's estate, but someone else who collaborated on it.

Aside from S3&K, I think my biggest hopes left are Quackshot and Ristar.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    OK, now this is approaching my "why the hell not?" price:

• Options
    Play some jumping flash and notice how silly Syphon Filter is.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    buy a printer, they'll give you a PS mini for free

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I still wish the didn't put messed up Persona on the classic.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    buy a printer, they'll give you a PS mini for free

It's cheaper than a new ink cartridge, at least.

• Options

I waited too long and both nearby Targets were out of stock of PS Classics when I dropped by today.

They still had plenty of NES Classics, though!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I waited too long and both nearby Targets were out of stock of PS Classics when I dropped by today.

They still had plenty of NES Classics, though!

Such a turnaround would have been unthinkable not that long ago!

• Options
    Went a little further away to a Target that had plenty of Playstation Classics. Presumably they weren't sold out because the price listed at the store was still $59.99, but I asked the guy to take one out and when he scanned it, it came up as $39.99 as I expected. Then I scanned my cartwheel app barcode and handed him a $5 gift card:
    inhl3ieiumnq.jpg

No idea when I'll make use of it, but nice to finally have one at a significantly discounted price.

• Options
    Presumably they weren't sold out because the price listed at the store was still $59.99, but I asked the guy to take one out and when he scanned it, it came up as $39.99 as I expected.

Target has been really bad about sending video game sale signs lately (at least at my store). If I didn't print them all manually, no one would know what was on sale.

Speaking of PS Classics, how's the emulation on it? And does it work with other USB controllers?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Presumably they weren't sold out because the price listed at the store was still $59.99, but I asked the guy to take one out and when he scanned it, it came up as $39.99 as I expected.

Target has been really bad about sending video game sale signs lately (at least at my store). If I didn't print them all manually, no one would know what was on sale.

Speaking of PS Classics, how's the emulation on it? And does it work with other USB controllers?

The Target app has helped me get game prices corrected on more than one occasion.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Ultimately, I decided not to get one, even though i could've combined the sale and cartwheel with my employee discount. I think just about everything I would use it for would be covered by either my hacked PSTV or my hacked SNESc.

• Options
    New Egg is selling Super Famicom Classics for $74. I went ahead and ordered one.

• Options
    New Egg is selling Super Famicom Classics for $74. I went ahead and ordered one.

I don't know. The Japanese exclusive games do not seem that amazing. Might have pulled the trigger too early.

• Options
    I do like seeing Japanese title screens. Especially the Ghost and Goblins series ones.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Went a little further away to a Target that had plenty of Playstation Classics. Presumably they weren't sold out because the price listed at the store was still $59.99, but I asked the guy to take one out and when he scanned it, it came up as $39.99 as I expected. Then I scanned my cartwheel app barcode and handed him a $5 gift card:
    inhl3ieiumnq.jpg

No idea when I'll make use of it, but nice to finally have one at a significantly discounted price.

More importantly, I believe I see a Tortie, yes?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    inhl3ieiumnq.jpg

More importantly, I believe I see a Tortie, yes?

Yes, she loves it when I play retro games because she gets to sit on my lap.

• Options
    That RetroUSB AVS is actually pretty neat. It is hardware emulation at a decent price.
    https://youtu.be/ocOjD15PziA