As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    That RetroUSB AVS is actually pretty neat. It is hardware emulation at a decent price.
    https://youtu.be/ocOjD15PziA
    It's weird that they dubbed in attachment/detachment "kachunk" sounds.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    That RetroUSB AVS is actually pretty neat. It is hardware emulation at a decent price.
    snip

I bought it last year, works very well. Beat Ninja Gaiden 3 on it.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    OK, here's what they've announced so far in the stream for Japan:
    Columns
    Monster World IV
    Dynamite Headdy
    Assault Suits Leynos
    (aka Target: Earth in the US)
    Langrisser 2 (probably not getting this one over here, never localized. First one was brought over here as Warsong, though)
    Alisia Dragoon
    Road Rash II
    Slap Fight
    Snow Bros.
    Lord Monarch

Then they started announcing bonus games:

Darius, which doesn't appear to have ever had a release on the MD/Genesis
    Tetris, which was announced via a pre-recorded statement from Henk Rogers and Alexey Pajitnov.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Things got a little crazy at the end there. One guy had a red chest and started taking out....accessories? The Sega/Mega-CD, S&K cartridge, even the 32X. I think they're purely cosmetic, but it was pretty funny:
    t6vn3rhmvahu.jpg
    y5w174dycrex.png

I was hoping for some actual games from those add-ons, but no, doesn't look like it!

SteevL on
  • Options
    Sega USA twitter announcements:

Not thrilled about every game on that list, but oh well.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Columns is a no brainer. Strider makes me happy. The rest, eh

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dynamite Headdy and Light Crusader are solid games by Treasure.

Monster World IV didn't originally get a US release, and that series seems to be getting a lot of interest again with that remake of Wonder Boy in Monster World.

Kid Chameleon sucks. I know a lot of people like it. I thought it was neat at first when I rented it, but it got old quickly.

They should have given us Warsong instead of Virtua Fighter 2 or Eternal Champions.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm pretty happy that they have Tetris and Wily Wars on there, those are two of the rarer Genesis games. It's a pretty great collection to be honest.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There is too much Strider.

• Options
    I'm pretty happy that they have Tetris and Wily Wars on there, those are two of the rarer Genesis games. It's a pretty great collection to be honest.

It seems like authentic Tetris too.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

It seems like authentic Tetris too.

It is.
    Complications regarding dealings with the then-communist regime of the former Soviet Union meant that during the mid-to-late 1980s, a number of companies from all over the world claimed to have the rights to Tetris. Tetris had been a puzzle game created by Alexey Pajitnov and subsequently sold to the Soviet government for a planned ten yearsin around 1986.

The Soviets marketed Tetris to export markets via an organisation called "Elektronorgtechnica", typically shortened to Elorg, and from 1988 onwards began to take an interest in contracting licenses for the game for non-Soviet markets. Prior to this, numerous versions of Tetris had been "unofficially" licensed and sub-licensed by British software house Andromeda, who had in turn bought the rights to a version of the game found in Hungary. Mirrorsoft and Spectrum HoloByte had published versions of Tetris in 1987 and 1988 respectively (under license from Andromeda), and there had been many unofficial knock-offs and clones for a variety of systems prior to these dates.

Elorg signed three deals, one allowing Atari Games to make arcade versions of Tetris, another allowing Bullet-Proof Software (BPS) to create home versions in Japan, and a final deal with Nintendo, which covered home console and handheld versions in the West. Most famously, a deal between BPS and Nintendo resulted in the iconic Game Boy version of Tetris being released in 1989.

In other cases, the relationship was not as clear cut - Atari Games' attempt to port its arcade version of Tetris to the Nintendo Entertainment System (via its home console division, Tengen) resulted in a legal battle which Atari Games would lose. Since 1996 onwards the license has been held by the aptly named The Tetris Company, which has handed licenses to numerous publishers over the years.

While Atari Games held the rights for arcade versions of Tetris, their business was based primarily in the United States. Sega of America re-resentitive Steve Hanawa "discovered" the game on behalf of the company and a deal was made for Sega to produce and market their own versions of Tetris for the Japanese arcade market. This led initially to a Sega System 16 version, also in 1988, with other variants of Tetris to follow.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Because I'm bored, here's the full list of games on the thing and what I think of each one:

(spoilered for wall of text)
    Sonic the Hedgehog - Seemed really cool at the time. Very colorful and the Green Hill Zone music was fantastic.

Ecco the Dolphin - Certainly a unique game. You're a dolphin, you can do flips and stuff, and you're trying to rescue other sea creatures from aliens. I never beat this one. I made it to the final level, but it was auto-scrolling and you'd get trapped behind a wall and die if you weren't quick enough.

Castlevania: Bloodlines - The first truly gory Castlevania game. Also one of the few in the series I never completed because it's hard as hell. But it's a genuinely good game.

Space Harrier 2 - I never really got into the Space Harrier games. They looked really neat at the arcade.

Shining Force - Fantastic RPG tactics game. Sort of Fire Emblem Lite. A shame the second one wasn't also included.

Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine - Do you like Puyo Puyo? Because this is Puyo Puyo.

ToeJam & Earl - Basically an early roguelite. I always loved the style of it. And you can choose to play either a completely randomized game or one where the levels are the same all the time.

Comix Zone - I always thought this game seemed neat, but didn't play it much. Seems like a lot of people dislike it?

Altered Beast - Not a good game, but I get why it's on here. Many people with fond memories will realize they were wrong.

Gunstar Heroes - Contra on steroids, plus melee moves and even the ability to block if you time it right. One of the best in this list.

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
    World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck - I only really played the first one. It's an OK platformer.

Thunder Force 3 - A solid horizontal shooter. Great effects for the time.

Super Fantasy Zone - Cute 'em up!

Shinobi 3 I've only played this a little bit. It's an action platformer, just like the original Shinobi and Revenge of Shinobi.

Streets of Rage 2 - Top-tier beat 'em up. Probably one of my favorites, and a great soundtrack.

Earthworm Jim - Action platformer with really good animation and a zany sense of humor. I'm not sure if it holds up. I do remember it getting very difficult and I never completed it during a rental.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - More Sonic, but the addition of being able to play 2-player co-op was cool.

Contra: Hard Corps - Arguably the best Contra game. At the end of several stages you can make a decision which determines what level you'll see next. Some paths are harder than others, and there are at least 4 different endings.

Landstalker - I always wanted to play this one. I think it's an action RPG?

Mega Man: The Wily Wars - Mega Man 1-3. Never properly released in the USA except on the Sega Channel. Hopefully it's in NTSC mode!

Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition - On a 3 button controller? Heh.

Ghouls ’n Ghosts - I've always had a soft spot for this series, but it's hard as shit. Gotta play through it twice to get the actual ending.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle - Action platformer, it kinda sucks.

Beyond Oasis - I've played a little bit of this one and enjoyed it. I've seen others praise it as a very solid Zelda-like.

Golden Axe - A classic fantasy beat 'em up, but I think Streets of Rage does it better.

Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millennium - Never played it! Phantasy Star 2 was neat, although there was a nasty dungeon full of branching stairways that I hated. I always intended to play through the third and fourth games.

Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball - Pinball.

Vectorman - Never played it.

Wonder Boy in Monster World - Open world action platformer. I've never beaten it. I last tried playing through it last year on my Wii VC, specifically the Turbografx CD version which is called The Dynastic Hero.

Tetris - It's Tetris.

Darius - Horizontal ocean-themed shooter. This particular game never came out on the Genesis/Mega Drive before.

Road Rash 2 - I always liked Road Rash back then, but I'm not sure if this one holds up.

Strider - I always thought this looked better in screenshots than in motion. I never got into it.

Virtua Fighter 2 - Meh.

Alisia Dragoon - I dabbled with this one a few weeks ago. You spend a lot of time walking and shooting a constant stream of homing lighting at enemies. You also have companion familiars who have their own attacks.

Kid Chameleon - Action platformer with a gimmick that allows the kid to pick up 9 different types of masks which give you different abilities. A lot of people love this game, but it never clicked for me.

Monster World 4 - This one first got a US localization on the Wii Virtual Console and XBLA in a Monster World collection. The first game in the series where your character is a lady instead of Wonder Boy.

Eternal Champions - A fighting game. I never thought it was too bad, but I haven't played it in years. It has a lot of finishing moves like Mortal Kombat. It was also one of the few games that utilized the 6-button controller, so....you might want one of those if you want to enjoy this one properly.

Columns - Sega needed their own take on Tetris, so they put out Columns. I usually get bored playing this one.

Dynamite Headdy
    Light Crusader
    - Two more games by Treasure. I've only played a little bit of each, but Treasure games are always unique. Dynamite Headdy is an action platformer. You have a springy head which you use to attack enemies. Light Crusader is an action RPG. I remember being able to combine two base magic spells to create a more powerful spell, but that's about it.

It's a pretty solid lineup. Some good stuff missing, but there's more good than bad on this thing. I'm definitely leaning towards buying one.

• Options
    Is Alisia Dragoon a rare one to find? Seems like it.

• Options
    Capcom Collection on the PS2 has all of the Ghost and Goblins games. Of course, that is excluding the PSP one.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Not really upset about the lack of Sonic 3/Knuckles. No offense to fans, but I don't think the classic Sonic games are very good. I'm bummed there aren't more Streets of Rage games. I'm a big fan of old school beat em ups. At least the best one in the trilogy made it in. Overall that's an amazing collection of games. Makes Nintendo's paltry game collection in the SNES Classic look positively stingy. It was bullshit back in the day, but this time Genesis really does what Nintendon't.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Kid Chameleon sucks. I know a lot of people like it. I thought it was neat at first when I rented it, but it got old quickly.
    thank_you_dreamforce_18_thumb.png

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    No Decap-Attack?

Boo

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    No Decap-Attack?

Boo

The Sega Genesis Flashback HD has it.

• Options
    No Decap-Attack?

Boo

never

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    No Hellfire. Boo.

Still tempted. It's a solid lineup with a good mix of crowd pleasers, rarities and even some obscurities. Daresay it won't take long before the lineup can be expanded to fill in those little gaps like with the SNES.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Allot of Genesis collections repeat the same games over and over.

• Options
    edited June 2019

This avoided that trap while still keeping enough big names in there. It's a good balance. Even if it is missing some I'd liked to have seen.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I don't think the first Sonic has aged well at all, especially compared to its sequels. No Spin Dash, much more repetitive (3 acts, ugh) and not as well designed levels, less compelling bonus stages, a really dull final boss. Other than just feeling compelled to "see where it all began," it's very hard to argue that the game is worth playing today. Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles are strictly better offerings.

• Options
    Kid Chameleon called to me as a kid because getting sucked into video games sounded awesome.

The gameplay wasn't good, but it had style?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Kid Chameleon called to me as a kid because getting sucked into video games sounded awesome.

Also sort of true of Altered Beast. Not a good game, but it did have some style.

• Options
    Altered Beast's only style was at the very beginning: Rise from your grave!

Even Kid Chameleon played better than Altered Beast.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

This avoided that trap while still keeping enough big names in there. It's a good balance. Even if it is missing some I'd liked to have seen.

It’ll probably be a week, tops, before folks break it open and we can load all the games from the Steam Genesis collection on this thing.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

It’ll probably be a week, tops, before folks break it open and we can load all the games from the Steam Genesis collection on this thing.

Yeah. The SNES Classic lineup was great, but did have some obvious omissions. Filling in those gaps only made it even better. It'll be the same here. And yeah, a week, tops. Probably less.

• Options

Genesis was the console for games with style and/or interesting gimmicks but crummy gameplay.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I just don't know what Eternal Champions or VF2 are doing here at all. There's a ton that would've been better.

Not to mention still no 6-button for all these fighting games.

• Options
    VF2 sticks out like a sore thumb, doesn't it - I recall it being dogshit on the MD/G.

• Options
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I don't think the first Sonic has aged well at all, especially compared to its sequels. No Spin Dash, much more repetitive (3 acts, ugh) and not as well designed levels, less compelling bonus stages, a really dull final boss. Other than just feeling compelled to "see where it all began," it's very hard to argue that the game is worth playing today. Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles are strictly better offerings.

I'd agree with this and even add super Mario brothers, which I loved as a kid. To this list. 2, 3, and world are right there. The original is pretty rough and was perfected in 3.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

I'd agree with this and even add super Mario brothers, which I loved as a kid. To this list. 2, 3, and world are right there. The original is pretty rough and was perfected in 3.

The gap between Sonic 1 and the rest of the series is more like original mario bros. to super.

There are some people who actually prefer Sonic 1 to the rest of the series. This is because Sonic 1 is barely a Sonic game. Its GHZ and then your typical slow linear repetitive platformer mostly.

• Options

Well, SMB2 is such a different kind of "Mario" game that it would never supercede or be replaced by the others, but the original is pretty hard to go back to after SMB 3 and offers very little outside of its crazy speedrun potential.

• Options
    It now seems very odd in hindsight how many 80s/90s fighting games and brawlers bothered to list blood type in character bios. Like... why?

• Options
    It now seems very odd in hindsight how many 80s/90s fighting games and brawlers bothered to list blood type in character bios. Like... why?

Blood type is something like a modernish Japanese horoscope. Its supposed to suggest things about your personality.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

The gap between Sonic 1 and the rest of the series is more like original mario bros. to super.

There are some people who actually prefer Sonic 1 to the rest of the series. This is because Sonic 1 is barely a Sonic game. Its GHZ and then your typical slow linear repetitive platformer mostly.

It's half and half. I think they weren't sure what kind of level design would appeal more, so they split it down the middle and alternated the types. You got your fast levels (Green Hill, Spring Yard, Starlight), and your slow ones that needed precision platforming (Marble, Labyrinth Zone, Scrap Brain).
    Then they listened to feedback and the sequels all went mostly fast levels, with the occasional platforming bit mixed in.

I loved Road Rash 2 at the time, but I'm pretty sure that's through a heavy nostalgia filter (though I recall that getting to the point where you could hit a bump and jump clear off the screen was very satisfying). I keep seeing a sequel/spiritual sequel/whatever on steam. Road Redemption, or something? Is that any good?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Capcom Collection on the PS2 has all of the Ghost and Goblins games. Of course, that is excluding the PSP one.

I believe this version was programmed by Yuji Naka and is a bit different from the others.
    No Decap-Attack?

Boo

giphy.gif

I really like the first Sonic. Well, parts of it. Like, every other Zone.

But oh, how I do love those Zones: Green Hill, Spring Yard, and Star Light, while Scrap Brain puts a decent cap on things.

As such, I'd find the Mega Play version perfect, except you can't get 1ups or continues, making the last level a bit tougher.

---

As for the selection, it seems really good to me, despite some unfortunate omissions. Maybe with any luck, SEGA will fix that by being the first one of these first-party Mini makers to do a second version.

Well, not counting the Shounen Jump Famicom Classic. Or I think NeoGeo.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!