As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I've had a PC Engine GT, a standard PC Engine, a TurboExpress and a Turbo Duo. For unfortunate reasons, I no longer have them and I have long missed them; but they're just not economically sane to replace given the only occasional use they'd realistically get, however much I loved them. This thing was basically made for me (although I fully expect some favourite games to not make the cut, but of course, as with other Classic Mini consoles, that may well only be a temporary issue...)

That said, the variants at the end showing the original PC Engine, the Core Grafx, and the TurboGrafx 16 also kind of imply that the machine may not come out in the UK, as none of the NEC consoles ever did the first time around and they were the domain of importers only, of which I was one.

But if I have to import one, I damn well will. (Edit: apparently the Core Grafx Mini is the European version. Sweet! NA gets the TG16 Mini, Japan gets the PCE Mini. NA/Euro line-ups will be the same, Japan's will be different, so following precedent of other Minis.)

The Turbo/PCE may have flopped in the West in comparison to the likes of Sega and Nintendo (although they did alright in Japan), and the nostalgia base will naturally be smaller, but there are a good number of extremely good games on them. Certainly enough to have a Classic Mini console overflowing with them. Ys I & II in particular is a noteworthy inclusion in that video, as that shows that CD-ROM games will be included in the line-up as well as cart-based titles. And yeah, the number of great shmups on the system is borderline ridiculous.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've said it on here before, but Ys blew me away in 1991. I'd never seen a home console game with that much voice acting. And the music was amazing (turns out there were arranged versions of some Yuzo Koshiro compositions on the soundtrack).

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I've said it on here before, but Ys blew me away in 1991. I'd never seen a home console game with that much voice acting. And the music was amazing (turns out there were arranged versions of some Yuzo Koshiro compositions on the soundtrack).

Yeah, Ys I & II was in its own realm when it came to audio for its era. One of the best early demonstrations of what CD-ROM was able to do, years before competitors got in on the action.

• Options
    Oh well, guess I need to get the Japanese one as well: Super Star Soldier is confirmed for that one, and that is one of my favourite PCE games.

And it'll have Rondo of Blood because of course it will.

https://twinfinite.net/2019/06/turbografx-16-mini-konami/

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Ok so I thought you all were joking till I watched the video (I thought that it was a fan video). Didn't realize that Konami got the rights to the NEC console. I looooved my TurboGrafx-16 since it was my only console (after the Atari 2600) that we ever owned as a kid. I still have it and it still rules compared to the Genesis (bought a friend's when I was in college) and N64 (my wife's) I now have. MotoRoader, Splatterhouse, Bonks (all of them), Parasol Stars, Neutopia, Legendary Axe, Battle Royale, Aero Blasters, Vigilante, Sidearms, Ordyne, Ninja Spirit, R-Type and Veigues Tactical Gladiator. I wished I could afford a Turbo Duo and TurboExpress (with TV tuner). A friend of ours had the TurboExpress with the TV tuner and that thing was too awesome.

I can't wait for this to be released since I'm so going to buy one... Heck, might even get the PC Engine just because.

Edit: Crap, how could I have forgotten Military Madness!!! Also Final Lap Twin. But Military Madness!!!! Yeah they better have that game on it.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Official site is up for the Turbografx-16/PC-Engine Mini: https://www.konami.com/games/pcemini/gate

For some reason this site, along with the sites for Konami's Arcade Classics collection and Castlevania collection, don't load correctly for me in Chrome and Firefox. I can't get past the age gate, but it works fine in *sigh* Internet Explorer.

• Options
    Official site is up for the Turbografx-16/PC-Engine Mini: https://www.konami.com/games/pcemini/gate

For some reason this site, along with the sites for Konami's Arcade Classics collection and Castlevania collection, don't load correctly for me in Chrome and Firefox. I can't get past the age gate, but it works fine in *sigh* Internet Explorer.

It works in Edge too.

• Options

Weird. It works on my Android Chrome.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I had to disable adblock

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So, I am kind of loving this mini console craze. I never owned a TG-16 so I might pick this up.

I wonder how many games they'll add.

It'll be worth it if they add the complete collection of Bonk games. I bought them all on the Wii VC back in the day.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I tried a Bonk game once on an Emulator and found it to be very crappy. It might not have been a TG-16 one though.

• Options
    Bonk Adventure worked much better with the TG-16 controller and its "turbo" button modes. At least that's how I feel when I play it now on an emulator versus the original controller. Especially the spinning "flying" ability and "climbing".

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Jazz wrote: »

I don't see any faux CD drives there.

They might have to actually spend a tiny bit on storage for such things.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I sold my TurboDuo years ago because the audio capacitors died and I didn’t have any confidence in my ability to replace them. I will likely pick up the PC Engine mini if I can import one.

Wonder if they will be able to get Magical Chase on the thing for any region.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Oh well, guess I need to get the Japanese one as well: Super Star Soldier is confirmed for that one, and that is one of my favourite PCE games.

https://twinfinite.net/2019/06/turbografx-16-mini-konami/

To be fair isn't this version considered the best? Well, besides any recent remakes.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »

The announced US lineup already includes a CD-based game (Ys), and the Japanese lineup includes Rondo of Blood. I'll be curious if it includes any other cd games.

• Options
    I had Gradius II on CD-ROM, so it'd be nice if that showed up. It's even a Konami game!

• Options
    Other Turbografx CD games probably worth releasing:

Beyond Shadowgate
    Double Dragon II, which is a weird version of that game
    Dungeon Explorer II
    The Dynastic Hero (literally a Wonder Boy in Monster World reskin)
    Gate of Thunder
    Last Alert for the hilariously bad voice acting
    Lords of Thunder (Sega CD version is better, though)
    Super Air Zonk
    A fully translated version of Ys IV. That'll never happen, though.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I wonder how long until 1Up Arcade starts releasing light gun games. There is a pretty decent market for games like Operation Wolf, Lethal Enforcers, Space Gunner, and others like them.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I wonder how long until 1Up Arcade starts releasing light gun games. There is a pretty decent market for games like Operation Wolf, Lethal Enforcers, Space Gunner, and others like them.

Oh man, if they did that... I might not be able to stop myself if they released Area 51.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I'd gladly buy Silent Scope for $300.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Hey, I didn't say that.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Sorry, fixed that.

Also I thought there was a cartridge version of Ys, guess not.

• Options

Hey, I didn't say that.

Heh, no, I did! :lol:

It had to be on there; and when the PS1 Classic had like 16GB of storage (and even the SNES had 8GB) I'm not too concerned that lack of storage will be a problem :)

They should totally do faux CD drives, though. And a Turbo Duo Mini model as well!

• Options
    Sorry, fixed that.

Also I thought there was a cartridge version of Ys, guess not.

Maybe you're thinking of the Master System release of Ys 1.

Plus there were SNES and Genesis versions of Ys III. And a Famicom version too.

...I know too much about the Ys series.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular

Hey, I didn't say that.

Heh, no, I did! :lol:

It had to be on there; and when the PS1 Classic had like 16GB of storage (and even the SNES had 8GB) I'm not too concerned that lack of storage will be a problem :)

They should totally do faux CD drives, though. And a Turbo Duo Mini model as well!

All games will be released on mini-disc!

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Ninja Turtles AND Star Wars? My two favorite arcade games? Fuck I'm in trouble.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    If I ever got one I'm torn. Do I hust go with street fighter because the Control scheme is most optimal for other games and I'm sure you can pUT a mini pc in there to emulate other arcade games making it in all in one. On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for getting something that has a unique control scheme and can't be emulated properly.

Are those star wars games good? I don't remember playing them and I'm 38.

• Options
    OK you guys dropped the ball. There are other tables coming and more games announced for the turtles one. Turtles in time!
    In addition to the new Star Wars cabinet, Arcade1up also revealed two cocktail cabinets: a "Capcom Head-to-Head Cocktail Table" with 12 Capcom arcade classics, including Street Fighter II, Final Fight, and DarkStalkers, as well as a "Namco Head-to-Head Cocktail Table" with 8 games. The Namco games revealed for the cocktail cabinet so far are Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug. Both cocktail tables are coming "later this year" for $499.
    Arcade1up already showed off two more cabinets earlier in the week, including the 4-player classic TMNT Arcade Game and its follow-up, Turtles in Time

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I do like that these appear to be bigger

But whoosh 500 smackers

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Fuuuuck I've always wanted a cocktail table.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    If I ever got one I'm torn. Do I hust go with street fighter because the Control scheme is most optimal for other games and I'm sure you can pUT a mini pc in there to emulate other arcade games making it in all in one. On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for getting something that has a unique control scheme and can't be emulated properly.

I dont know how rose tinted my feelings on the Star Wars arcade games are, but imho they are freaking awesome.

Dont know if they are $500 awesome though.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Has anyone done a mod on these 1Up machines?

I REALLY want the Capcom Fighters Cocktail tables

But I'd settle for the Marvel one (Marvel Heroes, Children of the Atom, Punisher) - since it will have a typical fighting game layout.

If someone has looked at the guts of these things and I could ultimately have like, MvC2 on there someday...hooo boy.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Just a quick Google seems to imply you can hook it to a Raspberry Pi for Homebrew stuff

Not sure how easy but the reddit for 1up shows some people succeeded doing it

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

I... I... I... For the first time in my life I HAVE to have something.

The Star Wars one is probably the most awesome for a kid wanting to fly a X-Wing prior to the PC games. Today though, might be filled with Rose colored glasses since it is somewhat simple to beat as an adult. But as a kid it was tough as nails. RotJ was a pain with the Speeder Bike level. I never got past that as a kid...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Just a quick Google seems to imply you can hook it to a Raspberry Pi for Homebrew stuff

Not sure how easy but the reddit for 1up shows some people succeeded doing it

Ya I was just coming her to post that. Hooking up a pi doesn't seem too bad as there's lots of tutorials. Adding games to it like a snes classic doesn't seem possible. From a quick research it sounded like soldering may be required.

https://youtu.be/09DQCOr6zQM

RickRude on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I've also always wanted a cocktail cabinet. I need to log off the internet before it gets worse. You're killing me, Arcade 1UP.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

I... I... I... For the first time in my life I HAVE to have something.

The Star Wars one is probably the most awesome for a kid wanting to fly a X-Wing prior to the PC games. Today though, might be filled with Rose colored glasses since it is somewhat simple to beat as an adult. But as a kid it was tough as nails. RotJ was a pain with the Speeder Bike level. I never got past that as a kid...

I only ever played the Star Wars one, but it reminds me specifically of the Death Star run in Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader for the GameCube -- first you shoot a bunch of TIE fighters out in space, then blow up some surface turrets on the Death Star, then the trench run proper; just in vector graphics. The biggest similarity is that in later levels in the arcade game, they start putting catwalks across the trench that you have to fly above or below, which I also remember from the GameCube game.

• Options
    It also was an Easter Egg in the GameCube version of one of those Star Wars Rogue Games. Whish is what I played non stop once I unlocked it. But it isn't the same without the yoke like controller.

oosik_betsuni.png