As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    In the name of all that is good and pure and holy, why haven't those GameCube Star Wars Rogue games ever been ported to literally anything else?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    It also was an Easter Egg in the GameCube version of one of those Star Wars Rogue Games. Whish is what I played non stop once I unlocked it. But it isn't the same without the yoke like controller.

It also came on it's own disc if you preordered it through Gamestop.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    It also was an Easter Egg in the GameCube version of one of those Star Wars Rogue Games. Whish is what I played non stop once I unlocked it. But it isn't the same without the yoke like controller.

It also came on it's own disc if you preordered it through Gamestop.

Oh crap, was that what I was thinking about? That probably was it now that I think about it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Now I'm waiting for the Tron Arcade game mini to come out.
    I need to decompile that MCP and run light bikes.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    How does street fighter on a cocktail table even work?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

With spilled drinks.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've always wanted one of those top-down Pac-Man/Galaga tables as a coffee table.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

It displays the image twice - back to back.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Now I'm waiting for the Tron Arcade game mini to come out.
    I need to decompile that MCP and run light bikes.

Give me a giant glowing blue joystick or give me derezzing.

• Options
    A giant glowing blue joystick? Isn't that more Dr Manhattan?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    A giant glowing blue joystick? Isn't that more Dr Manhattan?

Only when there are three or more.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I am really glad these things exist for those that want them, but for my sensibilities, $300-$500 for 2-3 arcade games (which generally don't have a lot of lasting appeal/replay value to me) is just not a good deal.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I am really glad these things exist for those that want them, but for my sensibilities, $300-$500 for 2-3 arcade games (which generally don't have a lot of lasting appeal/replay value to me) is just not a good deal.

You’re right, it’s not a good deal. But people also spend tens of thousands of dollars on fancy cars because they want a fancy car. I’ve wanted an at home arcade since I was a kid. I deserve to have this. I work hard for my money. So hard for it, honey.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'd totally be on-board if there were more game options per machine. But I get it, since they are paying for legit artwork and rights, that isn't cheap.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2019

At least it is 2-3 games since I think the original arcades go for much more (or at least the same price) for one game. Out of all the games released so far, Star Wars is the only one I could play endlessly.

Edit: Yep, at least the Star Wars ones go for insane prices... Sheesh!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I played the hell out of Star Wars in the arcades as a child. While the digitized voices sound awful these days, it was magical at the time. Especially if you had the sit-down version of the game. As close as you could get to being in an X-Wing cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOTExRQJSE

THE FEELS!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Well the new ones appear to be coming with more games, although at a larger price. If I was getting one I'd just add $200 to the price tag for the price of retropie modding it myself. No way I wouldn't do that if I owned one. I was looking at one kit on etsy and the guy will even drill the new holes for free if you send the board in.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Yeah, as neat an experience as that was in 1983, I would get bored of playing that in about 5 minutes today.

• Options
    One of the challenges of putting more games into a single cabinet (aside from the licensing, etc.) is that they'd all have to share the same control scheme -- if you have that giant Atari Star Wars yoke on the front of the thing, you're not going to be able to play Street Fighter with it.

I suppose I can imagine a set-up where the panel with the controls is removable & swappable, but I'm sure that wouldn't be cheap to implement.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    They’re getting better about adding more games.

The cocktail tables will go for $500 but I think the Pac-Man one has 12 Namco games (dig dug!) and the Capcom Stret Fighter one has 8 (Final fight, darkstalkers)

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    One of the challenges of putting more games into a single cabinet (aside from the licensing, etc.) is that they'd all have to share the same control scheme -- if you have that giant Atari Star Wars yoke on the front of the thing, you're not going to be able to play Street Fighter with it.

I suppose I can imagine a set-up where the panel with the controls is removable & swappable, but I'm sure that wouldn't be cheap to implement.

That's why you own multiple cabinets

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

That's why you own multiple cabinets

I just need to figure out how many cabinets I'd need to put together in a bank large enough that I could fit a twin mattress on top of them, and then all of my living space issues would be resolved.

• Options
    Yeah, as neat an experience as that was in 1983, I would get bored of playing that in about 5 minutes today.

I'm not attacking you or insulting you, but I find it neat that a lot of people are this way these days. It is like those stories you hear when you are a kid from your Uncles, Parents, etc. about the "good old days" when a kid could have fun with a stick and a hoop, a few rocks and an empty field, or whatever stories you used to hear.

Now I'm that old person talking about how I find more fun playing my old Atari games and old arcade games over the newer stuff these days. Yeah, there are a bunch of newer games that I do have fun playing as well (Diablo 3, MechWarrior Online, Breath of the Wild, etc.) but I do find myself playing old Atari games a bit more these days. Even found myself playing the Arcade Star Wars game last week on my RPi since my GameCube's controller is starting to go soft.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

I'm not attacking you or insulting you, but I find it neat that a lot of people are this way these days. It is like those stories you hear when you are a kid from your Uncles, Parents, etc. about the "good old days" when a kid could have fun with a stick and a hoop, a few rocks and an empty field, or whatever stories you used to hear.

Now I'm that old person talking about how I find more fun playing my old Atari games and old arcade games over the newer stuff these days. Yeah, there are a bunch of newer games that I do have fun playing as well (Diablo 3, MechWarrior Online, Breath of the Wild, etc.) but I do find myself playing old Atari games a bit more these days. Even found myself playing the Arcade Star Wars game last week on my RPi since my GameCube's controller is starting to go soft.

I find this is true for me when it comes to new AAA games. The ones with huge story modes, massive set pieces, that sort of focus on immersion rather than raw gameplay. I don't have a problem with say the new Street Fighter, new Quake, new Doom, and stuff that sticks to gameplay. But a new FF type game, yeah count me out.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Do they have the arcade Star Wars from the 90s?

Edit: Yes.

Double Edit: Bah. Someone beat me to it.

Krathoon on
  • Options

I have very fond memories of sitting on the living room floor with my brothers, trying desperately to keep going in Atari 2600 Asteroids long enough to roll over the score counter.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I've been playing games on my SNES classic lately rather than anything new for much the same reason.

What in trying to say is pull up your rocker, we can yell at those damn kids from our porch together.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm almost the opposite. I now actively dislike many of the games I grew up playing. That's why I'm glad these arcade cabinets weren't being sold when I was in my 20s and would have bought them for blind nostalgia and the "cool" factor. Especially that Ninja Turtles one, which I pumped so many quarters into as a kid, but when I played it again 10-ish years ago, I was completely disinterested in.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It's funny how some games really stand the test of time. A lot of arcade games do almost nothing for me now, but there are a few that I can find addictive like Burgertime or Tapper. Similarly, NES games like Contra and Castlevania I could probably play forever.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    It's funny how some games really stand the test of time. A lot of arcade games do almost nothing for me now, but there are a few that I can find addictive like Burgertime or Tapper. Similarly, NES games like Contra and Castlevania I could probably play forever.

I still like shmups, fighters, and beat-em ups.

• Options
    I don't think I mentioned it before, but I recently bought a C64 Mini. Haven't hooked it up yet as it's going to be a birthday gift to my wife, who fondly remembers playing a C64 a lot as a kid. I've heard it's not bad except for the included controller.

• Options
    New Sega Genesis Mini info:

Basically, you can choose a different region/language in the console settings and get that region's versions of the games...but you won't get the games that are exclusive to a region.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm genuinely excited about this. I think it's almost inevitable that we're going to see SNK-Playmore, and a partner, do another take on a Neo Geo retro portable.

And just maybe, it won't suck the way the Neo Geo X did*.

*For those who don't remember, the Neo Geo X was small-library retro device that was expanded by buying more library cards....and could be taken out of its dock and played as a handheld device. It was very similar to the Switch, albeit 5 years earlier. The problem was, by and large, most Neo Geo fans were less interested in a handheld device than a Neo Geo retro machine for their living rooms (since SNK had its own handheld offering, the Neo Geo Pocket), and as a docked device, it kind of sucked (poor video output quality). You could buy it with or without the docking station, which was a simple if elegant device in its own right, but I didn't know anyone who was buying this just for a Neo Geo handheld.

8qi5zez6tucn.jpg

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I don't think I mentioned it before, but I recently bought a C64 Mini. Haven't hooked it up yet as it's going to be a birthday gift to my wife, who fondly remembers playing a C64 a lot as a kid. I've heard it's not bad except for the included controller.

I'd like to hear about how it is. I have to preface this by saying the C64 was The Enemy™ when I was a kid - I was a ZX Spectrum kid, the C64's biggest rival in the UK - but the C64 was a very capable piece of hardware for its time, and the C64 Mini is both relatively inexpensive and has a pretty solid and expansive line-up of games included, many of which I would imagine are still a lot of fun now.

(Truth is, when my ZX Spectrum Next finally shows up, I'm more likely to use the thing as a sort of "full-sized Spectrum not-very-Mini" than as a whole new computer. Depending on new software released for it, of which there's already quite a few titles.)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm genuinely excited about this. I think it's almost inevitable that we're going to see SNK-Playmore, and a partner, do another take on a Neo Geo retro portable.

*For those who don't remember, the Neo Geo X was small-library retro device that was expanded by buying more library cards....and could be taken out of its dock and played as a handheld device. It was very similar to the Switch, albeit 5 years earlier. The problem was, by and large, most Neo Geo fans were less interested in a handheld device than a Neo Geo retro machine for their living rooms (since SNK had its own handheld offering, the Neo Geo Pocket), and as a docked device, it kind of sucked (poor video output quality). You could buy it with or without the docking station, which was a simple if elegant device in its own right, but I didn't know anyone who was buying this just for a Neo Geo handheld.

8qi5zez6tucn.jpg

I would have bought it for the handheld part but the whole thing was a mess.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I'd like to see some Neo Geo Pocket Color games get re-released on something. There were some terrific games on that thing (I've long regretted selling mine, that was a very dumb move). It would be nice to play Biomotor Unitron, Faselei! and Card Fighters Clash again. 3DS would have been a great home for them, but that ship has long sailed... maybe phones? Hmm.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »

8qi5zez6tucn.jpg

I would have bought it for the handheld part but the whole thing was a mess.

The handheld experience...wasn't very good, but I say this as someone who has trouble getting into handheld gaming in general.

The fact that this was a Neo Geo MVS/AES machine, and not a Neo Geo Pocket machine, really didn't help it. Obviously I only speak for myself, but I can't really picture anyone that interested in Neo Geo emulation or reproducing the Neo Geo experience who wouldn't have the expectation of a certain degree of graphical fidelity. This isn't SNES or Sega Genesis, it's Neo Geo. The games look amazing and frequently have very high framerate, that's kind of the point. So don't fuck up the docked mode. The handheld experience should absolutely have been secondary, but it was marginally better than the docked experience. And Tommo, etc., seemed aware of that fact, considering the good quality of the controllers that only worked with the dock. It just didn't succeed.

At least the Neo Geo Mini was cheap and cute. You knew what you were getting into it with that.

Well, we'll see. Depending on the competency of whatever partner SNK Playmore goes with, they need to get the actual AES home experience right. Then they get futz around with handheld.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I only had some exposure to C64 through the library in elementary school.

I might snag the mini.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Unless the first attempt sold so badly SNK doesn't want to try again. (And they take away the wrong lessons from the failure of the PlayStation thing.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Another video showing off the MD/Genesis Mini, including another look at the UI:
    https://youtu.be/6oyjSwe3NJg