As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] Kavanaugh hearings etc - time to get even madder

1656667686971»

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    This outcome, I think, isn't a ton different for SCOTUS than had they gotten a less rapey Trump toadie up there, at least insofar as it impacts the decisions said toadie will make. It does, however, delegitimize SCOTUS in the eyes of a great many Americans and creates a TON of ammunition democrats can use against these republicans that fought tooth and nail to put a scumbag on the supreme court. This might end up being a major miscalculation on the part of the GOP. Time will tell.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

This is just some guy, but “legitimacy crisis” is underselling it

We literally live under minority rule

I don’t think it’s doomsaying to ask at what point we are literally no longer a functioning democracy

they won the House by 2 million votes, not sure how they lost the senate by 10 million at the same time

California, with no Republican in the race.

Ah, good point. That undercuts the legitimacy crisis angle a little bit.

The better point is that the confirming Senators tomorrow represent something like 42% of the population.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    This outcome, I think, isn't a ton different for SCOTUS than had they gotten a less rapey Trump toadie up there, at least insofar as it impacts the decisions said toadie will make. It does, however, delegitimize SCOTUS in the eyes of a great many Americans and creates a TON of ammunition democrats can use against these republicans that fought tooth and nail to put a scumbag on the supreme court. This might end up being a major miscalculation on the part of the GOP. Time will tell.

Right now I need to figure out a way to deal with the schadenfreude all my coworkers will be feeling at my expense tomorrow.

Is there a German word for that?

Republicans seemed to revel while twisting the knife at every turn in the whole Kavanaugh arc.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    it does seem like the GOP is playing chicken with how hard they can alienate half the US population

they could have picked a waaaaaaaaaaay safer candidate and not have got anywhere close to the amount of outrage already going on

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Kind of weird that Collins feels "bullied" over hearing from her constituents

They're always the victim

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Right now I need to figure out a way to deal with the schadenfreude all my coworkers will be feeling at my expense tomorrow.

Is there a German word for that?

Republicans seemed to revel while twisting the knife at every turn in the whole Kavanaugh arc.

As Adam Serwer wrote recently "The cruelty is the point".

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Hard disagree. They needed this particular rapist-dick-pusher because he's the one that's going to save Trump's equally shitty ass.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Doobh wrote: »
    it does seem like the GOP is playing chicken with how hard they can alienate half the US population

they could have picked a waaaaaaaaaaay safer candidate and not have got anywhere close to the amount of outrage already going on

At this point, I have to wonder if I live in a bubble. Is it even half the population of the US?

Was there legitimately that much outrage? Was the outrage I thought was prevalent just amplified by the internet and social media?

Is it that a vast majority of people are just fine with this? Fine with everything about this? And I'm the one who's crazy?

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options

At this point, I have to wonder if I live in a bubble. Is it even half the population of the US?

Was there legitimately that much outrage? Was the outrage I thought was prevalent just amplified by the internet and social media?

Is it that a vast majority of people are just fine with this? Fine with everything about this? And I'm the one who's crazy?

He's the least popular nominee ever.

• Options
    If Kavanaugh had gone down the next nominee would have almost certainly have been some equally bad flavor, sure, but that's no the sum total of the calculus in opposing him.

There's an election coming up with decent odds the Democrats take both the Senate and the House. If they had stalled long enough there was a very real chance of getting to call the shots on this.

The main reason to stop him regardless of who was next though is he's a god damn sex criminal what the fuck.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

I'm in Oregon and nobody seems to care much.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Among everybody, or among people who care in the least bit about government?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

Among everybody, or among people who care in the least bit about government?

Those polls are usually registered voters.

• Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The largest "party" consists of those who don't care about politics. In this context, "half the country" really refers to the half of the half that bothers to pay any attention.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

I'm in Oregon and nobody seems to care much.

There's a rally in downtown PDX tonight

I went to one in my town this week

We're trying to eject or shame a city councilor off our city council here cause he groped a woman (among other things)

So nah

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I don't recall anybody taking to the streets in Seattle. We definitely live in a bubble, and we're definitely soaking in a concentrated outrage that, for the most part, the average American simply doesn't feel. Among people who, like, follow politics and give a shit about things the prevailing view was pretty clear. And among people who you stop at some point during their busy day making money and raising kids and generally living life, the prevailing view was also fairly clear. But most of the latter will cease giving a shit about any of this in about a week, which means the general mainstream media narrative will move on in about a week, and that will be that.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Thread is now on a break

Take care of yourselves, and don't give up

Geth, close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative So It Goes. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.