As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Victorians do not like the Victorian Liberal's.

No one even knows who the Liberal leader is.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Feels weird to watch footage of a protest and be rooting for the police for a change.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Victorians do not like the Victorian Liberal's.

No one even knows who the Liberal leader is.

For the longest time I was just like the guy in opposition, whatever his name is.

His name was Guy.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    After NSW demonstrated pure incompetence I think Dans actions might be viewed much more favourably.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Speaking of NSW, beaches were packed today while Western Sydney still has Army deployed.

Gladys is doing the best she can to make everyone but the Eastern suburbs and Northern Beaches hate her.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Ugh. As someone who's health is generally not great, it's real fucking stressful seeing all the supermarket delivery options be booked solid. I cant even do pickup options, which is equally "oh what the fuck"

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Ugh. As someone who's health is generally not great, it's real fucking stressful seeing all the supermarket delivery options be booked solid. I cant even do pickup options, which is equally "oh what the fuck"

The prevalence of "deliver your food services" has made this inability to scale extremely baffling.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

The prevalence of "deliver your food services" has made this inability to scale extremely baffling.

It's really annoying because outside of fucking lockdown, it's really easy to get deliveries done. Which you know, no car etc, is pretty great. Lockdown? Nope.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The federal government has been forced into reversing their position after being shamed into taking some Afghans who were aiding Australia.

We should be taking more.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Yesterday morrison said we should open up even if cases are high when we hit 70% and today states are saying "uh no, we wont".

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I hear it as....
    some-of-you-may-die-but-thats-a-sacrifice-i-am-willing-to-make.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    He also said they need to stop reporting on cases and only report hospitalisations.

Because making sure people don't know where hotspots are is a sure fire way to combat the spread.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Talking about cases is inconvenient and hospitalizations is a smaller number.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    How is it not blatantly obvious to everyone involved that treating a pandemic as a political problem is dumb as shit, because the outcomes are not going to be abstract. It's not going to be 'oh, my taxes are harder to file, or 2% higher', it's going to be <family member/friend / coworker > died.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    ScoMo just now: 'We must not fear the virus, we must embrace it'.

You fucking first.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Just reading the Doherty report, and found this chart:
    gds6yfuptosq.png

Basically saying that looser restrictions (not hard lockdowns) at 70% is only possible if there are small caseloads.
    Otherwise 20% of the time you should be in hard lockdowns (like Vic, ACT) to reduce the transmission for delta.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    At least Trump caught the virus.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    discrider wrote: »
    gds6yfuptosq.png

Basically saying that looser restrictions (not hard lockdowns) at 70% is only possible if there are small caseloads.
    Otherwise 20% of the time you should be in hard lockdowns (like Vic, ACT) to reduce the transmission for delta.

Yes they're ignoring this and lying as usual. You don't give liberals facts, they only latch onto the things they like and ignore the inconvenient stuff. And there's only two things they like: being in power and muh economy.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    gds6yfuptosq.png

Yes they're ignoring this and lying as usual. You don't give liberals facts, they only latch onto the things they like and ignore the inconvenient stuff. And there's only two things they like: being in power and muh economy.

They don't really like the economy. That implies money not going to them and their mates.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    NZ

over 300 Locations of Interest
    over 13000 close contacts

Auckland is to remain at Level 4 until Tuesday 31 August, the rest of the country is on Level 4 until this upcoming Friday.

These will be reviewed on the days before and decisions made based on data given.

• Options
    So Westmead hospital is now in emergency operations procedures due to COVID cases in Sydney.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So Westmead hospital is now in emergency operations procedures due to COVID cases in Sydney.

But yeah, let's go hog wild at 70% vaccination. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Except the thing that anyone who has paid ANY attention to how this thing goes, and pretty much every expert in the field, from the scientist who study vaccines, to hospital administrators to staff on the ground, who almost universally say "Opening up at 70% is a bad fucking idea!".

It's just crazy that we've spent 18 months not doing what the US conservative states have done, and now our leadership is just wanting to throw all that out the window. Just fucking crazy.

• Options
    Someone gave him some facts he can throw out what he doesnt like and twist to his narrative.

If we ever get a vax resistant strain we are probably doomed.

The LNP patience for supporting the "plebs" has run out.

• Options
    The missus and I talked it over, and even though we are due to be fully vaccinated by the time they decide to open up, we're staying in self imposed lockdown for a few weeks.

The first few weeks are going to be a mad dash to get out of the house and do anything, so cinemas, shopping malls, restaurants, cafes, everything wiull be jam packed with people not wearing masks or social distancing (because everything is open so the crisis is obviously over) and any spike in cases will happen then.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The missus and I talked it over, and even though we are due to be fully vaccinated by the time they decide to open up, we're staying in self imposed lockdown for a few weeks.

The first few weeks are going to be a mad dash to get out of the house and do anything, so cinemas, shopping malls, restaurants, cafes, everything wiull be jam packed with people not wearing masks or social distancing (because everything is open so the crisis is obviously over) and any spike in cases will happen then.

That sounds like a plan. Due for second vaccination last week of September, so mid October would be my opening date, but until I see how bad it gets, I'm not going to do much.

With the exception of visiting a very few number of friends and family (I live alone, and I'm not anyone's "bubble buddy"), I still intend to keep a relatively low "active profile" until it's shown to be safe. I'm already exposed to enough dickheads in my work life, I don't need to go out for a coffee in a crowded cafe and have to deal with them in my off time.

• Options
    So, Covid cases in NSW are still rising.

Something not much notice was made about - ICU admissions in the last week have doubled.

The outbreak is very much still getting worse, not better.

We've only hit 30% fully vaccinated in NSW.

Word is Gladys is going to be loosening restrictions tomorrow.

We're fucked.

• Options
    I mean, she promised she'd lift a restriction.
    It sounded like she didn't want to reneg on the 6 million vaccinated promise, last I heard her a couple of days ago, by doing as little as she could get away with.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Also two hospitals in Sydney are so stretched they are no longer admitting new Covid patients, including one of the biggest.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I mean, she promised she'd lift a restriction.
    It sounded like she didn't want to reneg on the 6 million vaccinated promise, last I heard her a couple of days ago, by doing as little as she could get away with.

"Sorry, I know I promised, but this is getting worse not better, so unfortunately I have to break a promise for the safety of all."

Something a responsible leader would say. It's a fucking emergency. This is not the time to be a politician. It's the time to be a leader.

That's why she wont say it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    It'd help if the opposition came out and spoke in a way that absolved the decision.

Sometimes politicians stick to their guns because they're afraid that their opponents will use it against them.

When it comes to public health, the opposition essentially giving the part in power cover to do what needs to be done, is the right thing to do.

• Options
    From what I’ve heard, apparently she’s going to let hair salons/barbers open?

That’s so dumb. That’s one of the worst places to be with an infected person, especially if it’s the stylist/barber. Someone standing over you, touching your head/face for 20+ minutes, maybe hours.

Some of the biggest venues for close contacts at the start of this were barbers and salons.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    There was a hair salon in Bondi with infected hairdressers that famously had 900 close contacts. Soon after it all exploded.

But yes go open those hairdressers.

I wonder if she even knows that infected vaccinated people are still capable of passing Delta on. It might be a smaller amount of time but they still can.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Now word is Gladys is going to lift the state-wide lockdown today or tomorrow, despite regional NSW cases still quickly rising.

I just don’t see what she’s trying to accomplish other than killing people.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Now word is Gladys is going to lift the state-wide lockdown today or tomorrow, despite regional NSW cases still quickly rising.

If you try to stage a full reopening with Delta and nearly no previous infections and 30% vaccinated every Australian will be infected within ~4 weeks.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

https://youtu.be/nyepdtx_UI4

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

If you try to stage a full reopening with Delta and nearly no previous infections and 30% vaccinated every Australian will be infected within ~4 weeks.

Not full reopening, state wide. That was separate to the Greater Sydney lockdown, which will remain.

So basically just reopening regional NSW.

• Options
    Well shit. 1029 cases, a jump of about +50% from yesterday IIRC. Sanity prevailed and the state-wide lockdown was extended to 10 September.

Easing restrictions mentioned were around funerals, singles bubbles and real estate.

Singles bubbles I understand, for mental health reasons. Funerals? We've already seen weddings and engagement parties flagrantly defy limitations and rules, now they're inviting people holding funerals to do the same. this won't end well.

Real estate is extra hilarious because they just had headline news of a guy that brought Covid to Byron Bay was under a real estate exemption.

• Options
    Well shit. 1029 cases, a jump of about +50% from yesterday IIRC. Sanity prevailed and the state-wide lockdown was extended to 10 September.

Easing restrictions mentioned were around funerals, singles bubbles and real estate.

Singles bubbles I understand, for mental health reasons. Funerals? We've already seen weddings and engagement parties flagrantly defy limitations and rules, now they're inviting people holding funerals to do the same. this won't end well.

Real estate is extra hilarious because they just had headline news of a guy that brought Covid to Byron Bay was under a real estate exemption.

I just wish they didn't make singles bubbles exclusive. I can understand them not wanting to allow people to chain it, but everyone I'm close enough that I'd want to bubble with, already has someone else that's more important on a regular basis. I'm mostly fine on a day to day basis being alone, and work gives me some in-person interaction, but it's been 18 months of this shit, and since the start of this year, it's literally in the single digits the number of social interactions with people that I've wanted.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I can't even begin to explain what I would give to be allowed to have another family in our bubble. Like I know the reasons for it but.

Ugh I just want to send my kid to someone else for like two hours.

• Options
    Could try the morning/evening shifts my wife and I have. Then you have time by yourself at the beginning/end of the day.
    Not sure how possible that is for you though, especially in NZ in winter for Fridays.

We're a bit fortunate in that childcare has remained open for essential workers during our lockdown.
    But it's a big debate whether we take the risk, although the lockdown seems to be working, so fingers crossed.

This discussion has been closed.