As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm sadly not surprised but it's insane that there has been zero media backlash after NSW stopped reporting Exposure sites and now have stopped reporting daily case isolation and tracing status at all.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Guardian was not happy but what can they do?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Getting really tired of international reporting implying that NZs lockdown is somehow a disaster or not working. This what haha, they're going into lockdown over 1 case

Like grief, we're up to 84 cases.

... That's it. That's amazing for a Delta outbreak. Not only that but it's contained to Auckland in effect, all the Wellington cases are household contacts.

This has been a crazy successful lockdown

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah it’s been hugely successful. Like, I feel bad for folks who are trying to manager supply chains of perishable goods, particularly restaurants. I am lucky enough to be able to order out again as soon as things open back up, which I’ll be doing with all my local favourite places. Also, that period until that point is measured in weeks, not months (or even years tbh) because we so effectively locked down!
    I mean, my business suffered a significant (95%+) loss of income during the lockdowns. We prepared for it, we had money set aside for it, and at the very least, I’ve got $600/week which covers my personal outlays

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Both of us just got our negative results from our day 12 exposure tests.

Which means we can go to the dairy for milk and bread and not have to ask friends not in quarantine to deliver.

I'm expecting at least another 2 weeks at level 4 and then a month at level 3

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm sadly not surprised but it's insane that there has been zero media backlash after NSW stopped reporting Exposure sites and now have stopped reporting daily case isolation and tracing status at all.

Andrew Barr talked to this in the ACT press conference today, in his first response to questions.
    Basically, when you get to 1K cases a day, you can't expect contact tracing to be as effective anymore.
    And that it was the majority opinion in national cabinet that you then have to rely on other methods of controlling the outbreak like masks and social distancing (and I assume strong lockdowns on the entire community).

So I'm not surprised that they've stopped reporting the info, especially if it might lead to a false sense of security in people who have not been to identified hotspots, but who may have visited unidentified hotspots instead.

discrider on
  • Options
    Also should say, having optimal response to contact tracing and other less onerous health measures is a key assumption in the Doherty report for being able to avoid hard lockdowns at 70% vaccination.
    If tracing is no longer working, NSW needs a higher vaccination rate.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Meanwhile, in NZ, lockdown continues, with Radio NZ's Morning Report performing stellar work for today, interviewing their staff dogs.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Also should say, having optimal response to contact tracing and other less onerous health measures is a key assumption in the Doherty report for being able to avoid hard lockdowns at 70% vaccination.

We’re getting there. We’re at something like 30% fully vaccinated, 70% single dose vaccinated. Given the huge surge we had a few weeks ago, we should be seeing the fully vaccinated numbers jump up mid-late September.

Probably not enough to get to 70% by Early October, but hopefully mid-late October.

And then, hopefully, Gladys doesn’t decide to throw open the doors and let it rip but slowly opens the state back up. Otherwise those vaccination rates aren’t going to mean as much as people think they do.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I saw some math that suggested we needed 90% vaccination, including under 12s, to keep infection rates 'manageable' within our current health system capacities.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

We’re getting there. We’re at something like 30% fully vaccinated, 70% single dose vaccinated. Given the huge surge we had a few weeks ago, we should be seeing the fully vaccinated numbers jump up mid-late September.

Probably not enough to get to 70% by Early October, but hopefully mid-late October.

And then, hopefully, Gladys doesn’t decide to throw open the doors and let it rip but slowly opens the state back up. Otherwise those vaccination rates aren’t going to mean as much as people think they do.

She said today that at 80% there wont be anymore lockdowns.

She'll throw it wide open and those who will die, well that's a sacrifice she's willing to make.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Hahaha, funny joke.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    And again, why the missus and I are going to stay home as much as possible (work permitting) when they do. Gladys might say there will be no more lockdowns, but if the hospitals end up full and turning away people she will likely backflip, and I don't want to be in that group, vaccinated or not.

• Options
    Barilaro confirmed on Sunrise that Gladys is looking at opening outside dining, pubs, clubs, cafes and retail at 70% vaccination.

Gladys separately confirmed she'd be easing restrictions regardless of case numbers.

Be safe, fellow peoples.

• Options
    Well, that seems like it's going to go great. Good luck to you all, if they're stupid enough togo through with it.

As a separate (and probably not entirely unrelated) question, has anything happened with the corruption allegations / lawsuits with Barilaro?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    "The more important number right now to case numbers is hospitalizations."

Wow Gladys. At least try to hide the marketing puppet masters influence over you.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Well, that seems like it's going to go great. Good luck to you all, if they're stupid enough togo through with it.

As a separate (and probably not entirely unrelated) question, has anything happened with the corruption allegations / lawsuits with Barilaro?

Last I heard, the court was shown evidence of Barilaro perjuring himself in parliament, and the judge said "well he said that under parliamentary privilege so it doesn't count".

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    53 new cases today in New Zealand, all in auckland. That's a 30 case drop from yesterday, which is pretty signifcant!

https://old.reddit.com/r/newzealand/comments/pe84iu/53_new_community_cases_all_in_auckland_press/

More deets here if you care for a detailed summary. Either way, good news - our lockdown works.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I will still remain an anxious mess.

But yay.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Great! I was worried the weekend drop was just a weekend drop.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    53 new cases today in New Zealand, all in auckland. That's a 30 case drop from yesterday, which is pretty signifcant!

https://old.reddit.com/r/newzealand/comments/pe84iu/53_new_community_cases_all_in_auckland_press/

More deets here if you care for a detailed summary. Either way, good news - our lockdown works.

Lower numbers tested though. Possibly shifting in the right direction but it's early days. Stolen from that reddit thread:
    23/8 - 35 positive of 35,766 (0.10%)
    24/8 - 41 positive of 35,376 (0.11%)
    25/8 - 62 positive of 49,745 (0.12%)
    26/8 - 68 positive of 41,739 (0.16%)
    27/8 - 70 positive of 37,020 (0.19%)
    28/8 - 82 positive of 36,418 (0.22%)
    29/8 - 85 positive of 23,139 (0.37%)
    30/8 - 53 positive of 16,370 (0.32%)

Also as you mentioned upthread, a hearty "bugger off, you muppets" to the various talking heads deriding the government's call to go into a snap lockdown over a single case. This is exactly why that was the right call. Also sadly a pretty rough indicator for coming days for folks in Aus :(

• Options
    exis wrote: »

Lower numbers tested though. Possibly shifting in the right direction but it's early days. Stolen from that reddit thread:

Also as you mentioned upthread, a hearty "bugger off, you muppets" to the various talking heads deriding the government's call to go into a snap lockdown over a single case. This is exactly why that was the right call. Also sadly a pretty rough indicator for coming days for folks in Aus :(

As well, it only takes one person to decide to go into work, because it's definitely not that to throw all the work back out the window, and prompt a new outbreak somewhere else, so assorted business leaders / media talking heads calling for the 'Conomy to be put first really need to be shut down hard.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options

As well, it only takes one person to decide to go into work, because it's definitely not that to throw all the work back out the window, and prompt a new outbreak somewhere else, so assorted business leaders / media talking heads calling for the 'Conomy to be put first really need to be shut down hard.

The economy, no matter the blood required attidue is just... Whooof.

Fucking terrifying, and really, really sad.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

The economy, no matter the blood required attidue is just... Whooof.

Fucking terrifying, and really, really sad.

It also doesn't even work! You can't fix the economy without controlling COVID. Something these geese have had their heads in the sand about for over a year.

• Options
    Omfg
    George Christensen and Craig Kelly spruiking ivermectin in the house of reps

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    But the people taking the vaccine are the sheep, really....

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Omfg
    George Christensen and Craig Kelly spruiking ivermectin in the house of reps

I get that some third world countries are desperate, because they lack vaccines and similar so they try any random garbage they can (such as hydroxyquinolone), but using horse anti-helmithics (kills worms) takes the cake here. Not only is this deeply stupid, it's actually causing supply problems with ivermectin that affects people who actually own horses.

Really can't understand these idiots.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Context was a motion to say that the government was missing the opportunity to invest in manufacturing and innovation, especially as it relates to Covid.
    Presumably, to slam them for the lack of MRNA vaccine facilities.
    But these jokers are like, no what about ivermectin research

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Just got my UAP text message.

As the unofficial motto of this thread goes: "Fuck off, Clive"

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    In non-Clive news

NZ at 49 cases today, so it's still looking good.

Similarly ACT keeping a hat on it at 13, but a 2 week Locky D extension

And of course, as a South Australian, I'm quietly shitting myself because three truckies from NSW that stopped at multiple servos across SA tested positive. Hopefully no transmission, but too early to say.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Bill to ban conversion therapy is in front of parliament right now, and they're seeking public submission in favour and opposed.

Apparently known bigot Brian T from Destiny Church is organising a mass write in to oppose the bill, essentially allowing conversion therapy to continue.

Calling it the greatest attack on religion since March 15.

If anybody here has not yet put in a submission supporting the bill, we have until 8 September.

Send me a PM, and I'll get you a link with and template and instructions on how to submit to the committee.

This is important. I'm not broken. I don't need to be fixed.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

This line of argument needs to fucking die.

Your right to religion ends when it harms people. And the evidence against conversion therapy is staggering.

The inability of some people not to interject their own harmful beliefs on others is just the fucking worst.

Best of luck, Hava. Hope this measure passes.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The Bill to ban conversion therapy is in front of parliament right now, and they're seeking public submission in favour and opposed.

Apparently known bigot Brian T from Destiny Church is organising a mass write in to oppose the bill, essentially allowing conversion therapy to continue.

If anybody here has not yet put in a submission supporting the bill, we have until 8 September.

Send me a PM, and I'll get you a link with and template and instructions on how to submit to the committee.

The thing is, no matter how many idiots write in favor of it, will the Government actually care what they have to say over the thousands of reputable papers, psychological associations and others that say it is a dumb and completely wrong thing to do?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

The thing is, no matter how many idiots write in favor of it, will the Government actually care what they have to say over the thousands of reputable papers, psychological associations and others that say it is a dumb and completely wrong thing to do?

While I have significant hope that New Zealand are much smarter than to just take the feelings of a the fucknut demographic and make a massively wrong decision that'll be felt for years, if not decades, I thought the same about the US and the UK five years ago.

Feel like there's less chance in NZ, but no longer feel like there's no chance.

• Options
    While true, we're not as dominated by religious thought as either of those two countries. Gay Marriage, for example, had a similar write in campaign from churches and they had a shit show chance of doing anything about it. We're not particularly big on listening to bigots here in NZ.

• Options
    True

But I also think that it might just be important for the community to see numbers for folks that actually don't want to torture us.

Even if public submission doesn't change anything, of the numbers for/against are made public and you can see that more of the country thinks I have the right to not be put through hell, but actually supports me living who I am, I imagine that would be good for mental health of LGBTQ youth.

Thank God I have faith that Ardern won't listen to the likes of Tamaki. But scared kids around the country just might.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Oh for fucks sake.

Gladys today just said at 70% full vaccination, everything will be open, and 80% will reopen international travel.

She's committed to killing people, then.

edit - she's using the qualifier that this is only for vaccinated people. As if every shopping center, small town store and park will have security guards around them checking your vaccination certificate.

As if children are still not affected by this.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    What the fucking hell. That's fucking insane.

Oh, and there's this nonsense:

Are any of those companies going to pitch in for the new hospitals we'll need?

Of course not, most don't pay any tax at all

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NSW hospitals have just been given triage instructions, prioritizing those most likely to survive first.

I know that's logical, but the fact that we've gotten to that point is terrifying.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Frydenberg is telling the states they have to open by Christmas when we reach 80% national vaccinations.

I'm fairly sure most states will see what happens in NSW when we open at 70% and say 'fuck you'.

Also I'm continually amused at our inept Federal government trying to tell states what to do, and everyone but Gladys tells them to go pound sand.

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.