As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I can't wait for t-mobile to start secretly hiring Russian anti-satellite weapons to take out Verizon satellites.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Seems bad

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh it's fine

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    No, events that bring us closer to Kessler syndrome is definitely not at all fine.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    It’ll buff out

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I was wondering last night about solving the space trash problem, and I had a hypotheses on how to fix it but some obvious problems with it. So the assumption is that a lot of the space debris is really small, like old tools or wreckage from old spacecraft, and they're in all sorts of eccentric orbits that are decaying very very slowly, like, thousands of years slowly. So what if we made a huge fabric sheet made out of something tough like kevlar that wouldn't be used to actually catch the debris, but just used to slow it down so it can fall back to earth faster? The problems I could think of with this plan are:
    1. It would have to be huge, like 10+ miles wide. How to manufactures something like that and unfold it would be impractical.
    2. The earth's exosphere is huge, even if we manage to manufacture something that's huuge, like 100 square miles, it still would only be able to sweep a tiny fraction of the space that is filled with junk.
    3. 4. Kevlar, while tough would probably still get torn to shreds which means that this solution would probably create even more space junk than the junk removed and even if a 1x1 cm patch of kevlar might not have much mass, if it crashes into the ISS at 100kph it could still cause as much damage as an old bolt.

So, likely impractical. Has anyone else ever had any solutions?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Could move the planet instead of the trash

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Problem? It's fine really. We won't be around much longer and most the debris will be gone in a thousand years, long before the next intelligent species emerges.

TheStig on
  • Options
    The more trash in orbit the better chance that Elon Musk gets his brains vaporised by a hypervelocity screw the second he hits space

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I liked the idea of using earth-based lasers to slow stuff down, seemed like the amount of energy required was low enough that the diffusion of shooting from the ground to the atmosphere wouldn't be too much of a hindrance. Probably be a big energy drain though.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I believe most of the trash in low earth orbit is still subject to atmospheric drag and will deorbit. See how the ISS needs to be reboosted periodically.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    if we would just hurry up and develop personal spacecraft I'd definitely go out and scavenge up old space trash with a magnet harpoon or something

that sounds like a cool job.

like Space Sweepers!

• Options
    It pays minimum wage and loses its charm in about a week.

• Options
    Also it is a trick they weld you into the space sweeper it never comes back down

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah probably.

god, what a bummer our hypothetical future is.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    so the big issues with collecting space garbage are
    -matching orbit with it to do anything to it directly takes a ton of energy because it's still got all the velocity it had that put it into orbit in the first place
    -most of it is not really tracked and is hard or impossible to find, it doesn't have transponders to tell people where it is like working satellites do, events that create it tend to spew out clouds of very small pieces of debris in random vectors which makes it impossible to predict, etc.

and a fun fact about orbital mechanics: if a bit of debris intercepts and strikes you in low earth orbit from a perpendicular or opposite orbit from your own, the relative velocity is going to be approximately 17,000-34,000 MPH, because 17,000 MPH is roughly the velocity needed to maintain low earth orbit. Micrometeors also pose risks like this but we're making it more likely for such intersections to happen.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    just detonate a bunch of nukes to vaporize all the objects

easy

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I think I saw one proposal that had a satellite that would just dangle a large web of conductive tethers that would generate a magnetic field to sap energy from magnetic debris and cause their orbit to degrade faster.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    A giant space death laser that cuts dangerous large debris into even more dangerous bits of small debris, but we also do nothing to secure the space laser, it's actually running on an extremely powerful wifi signal that literally every device on the planet can detect and connect to. Nobody botherered to set a wifi password for it so anyone can login and point the death ray at any target they like on the Earth's surface.

Also the laser is shaped like a dick.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    A giant space death laser that cuts dangerous large debris into even more dangerous bits of small debris, but we also do nothing to secure the space laser, it's actually running on an extremely powerful wifi signal that literally every device on the planet can detect and connect to. Nobody botherered to set a wifi password for it so anyone can login and point the death ray at any target they like on the Earth's surface.

that's just that one episode of cowboy bebop

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I mean, I don't know, how do we deal with trash on Earth? Does space have like a creek behind a Walmart we can pitch it all in?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    We could probably just toss trash into a star.

• Options

And when we learn that obviously we don’t have the means to get it all the way there and the giant trash bomb threatens to crash into Earth, we’ll just assemble a larger trash ball to fire at the original, knocking it back into orbit for another generation to deal with

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

And when we learn that obviously we don’t have the means to get it all the way there and the giant trash bomb threatens to crash into Earth, we’ll just assemble a larger trash ball to fire at the original, knocking it back into orbit for another generation to deal with

How hard is it to route gravitty slingshots into a mercury collision?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lr9VuGZgmw

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The easiest thing is actually to just yeet it out of the system.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It would be more cost effective to crash it into Jupiter than the sun. It takes a lot of Delta V to get an inner system intercept.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

Tricky part is expensing energy to leave the Earth orbit. Probably less energy just to shove it somewhere behind or in front of the Earth with the Trojans. That's kind of the equivalent of the creek behind the Dollar Store.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    The easiest thing is actually to just yeet it out of the system.

Delta-v budgets are funny. It’s almost twice as large of a change in velocity to hit the sun as it is to just leave the solar system. (30 km/s or 70,000 miles/hour to reach the sun vs 17-18 km/s to escape the solar system)

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=43694&t=launching-a-rocket-to-the-sun

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Speaking of escape velocity, how's old V'ger doing?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

It would be more cost effective to crash it into Jupiter than the sun. It takes a lot of Delta V to get an inner system intercept.

Just smother it in protomolecule

• Options
    Just condense it all into a ball and make us a 2nd moon.

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Just condense it all into a ball and make us a 2nd moon.

3rd*

• Options
    Fold it into 4th 5th and 6th dimensions.

• Options
    Send the trash ball into the wormhole, through the chaos dimension to gain sentience, and then back to us.

• Options
    Speaking of sentience, how's old V'ger doing?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    TheStig wrote: »
    Send the trash ball into the wormhole, through the chaos dimension to gain sentience, and then back to us.

We already did, just ask [UNPOPULAR CELEBRITY REFERENCE NOT FOUND ABORT/RETRY/FAIL].

Ah hah hah hah, got 'em.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Do we even need a giant space death laser?
    Can't we just induce a charge on the debris with a not-death laser and then let the Earth's magnetic field deorbit the garbage?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Tricky part is expensing energy to leave the Earth orbit. Probably less energy just to shove it somewhere behind or in front of the Earth with the Trojans. That's kind of the equivalent of the creek behind the Dollar Store.

the problem with the trojan points for this is they're like the tops of hills, gravitationally, rather than the bottom of holes. Planets and stars are the valleys in the curvature of spacetime, trojan points are just the most level peaks of the hills between those depressions, so they're ok for setting up actively maintained orbital structures, but still kind of bad for leaving loose garbage in because it will eventually start sliding down the hillside.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Tbh the real challenge is going to lie in keeping private spaceflight companies from adding more and more trash

This discussion has been closed.