As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I got really confused for a bit because my eyes are insisting that hole is actually a raised circular disc

i literally cannot see it as anything else but this, even knowing for a fact that it's not

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I got really confused for a bit because my eyes are insisting that hole is actually a raised circular disc

i literally cannot see it as anything else but this, even knowing for a fact that it's not

I could only see it as a raised disc until I saw the posts of people also seeing it as a raised disc, after which I scrolled back and could only see it as a hole

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I could only see it as a raised disc until I saw the posts of people also seeing it as a raised disc, after which I scrolled back and could only see it as a hole

That's what happened to me with the blueblack/whitegold dress

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I think it's the angle of the shadows. I'm guessing the sun shifted a ton between photos. If I rotate the image 180 degrees it looks like a hole.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_illusion

It's how the brain expects the sun to come from above

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

That's what happened to me with the blueblack/whitegold dress

I still can't see that picture as anything but white and gold.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I correlate the outcrop at the lip with its shadow in the hole, and have a large amount of trouble trying to see it and keep it as a raised cylinder.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I just see a place to rest my beer can

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Boris Johnson is to make good on a pledge to vindicate the cause of the “metric martyr” by announcing the return of imperial weights and measures.

Under plans unveiled by ministers today it will once again become legal for market stalls, shops and supermarkets to sell their goods using only Britain’s traditional weighing system.

??????

??

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The days when I see a headline I'm certain is satire which turns out to be real are becoming alarmingly more regular

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Did you know that American and British units differ significantly

i975f45bmocl.jpg

40 imp fl oz which is 1 imp qt is 32 US fl oz is US 2 pt for example

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh, so that's why there's a 20 oz pint and a 16 oz pint!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Looking for 1 imp gal

my dms are open.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Oh, so that's why there's a 20 oz pint and a 16 oz pint!

Don't forget about the US pub pint, which is a 14oz glass!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone in the UK use quarts.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    well by god boris johnson's going to make you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Finally, the Metric Martyrs will be vindicated!

(I refuse to explain this because the background is exactly as dumb as you might expect)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

(I refuse to explain this because the background is exactly as dumb as you might expect)

I googled it

I need more whiskey

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

I googled it

I need more whiskey

Would you like a metric or imperial shot?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Did the British Government murder them for their beliefs, as is good and proper?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    No, they just refused to understand the dosing instructions on all their medicine.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I too want to go back to the days of merchants using shitty broken scales

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I too want to go back to the days of merchants using shitty broken scales

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Looking for 1 imp gal

my dms are open.

Who doesn't want an imp qt in their life.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

BY HERMES TRISMEGISTUS I BIND THEE DEMON!

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »

BY HERMES TRISMEGISTUS I BIND THEE DEMON!

your human "traffic lines" mean *nothing* to a tesla

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If I had to guess, the crosswalk pattern got read as lane markers and it tried to correct?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    well the weird thing is that the programmed route doesn't even direct the car to make a turn there

• Options
    car was hungry

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It wasnt goin that fast probably just would have like mangled people rather than sure death

• Options
    there was also this recent, very disturbing video
    content warning: car crash fatality, fire
    https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/09/14/2-killed-after-tesla-crashes-into-tree-in-coral-gables/

there are more videos of this that were posted yesterday, the person who took them originally has taken them down

they showed the car failing to slow at an intersection, going over the curb, and striking a tree at about 30MPH - the car then instantly catches fire, spraying the flaming internal battery cells everywhere

the fire killed the two people in the car before anyone could get close enough to help

it's really disturbing seeing just how quickly that car went up in flames at relatively low speeds, I didn't realize just how dangerous that kind of collision could be for an EV

• Options
    What I'm getting from recent news is that Teslas are neither safe to be inside or be around.

Every other day there's a story about one exploding or changing lanes on a whim.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    From what I hear they still have lower accident rates than human drivers, so it might just be a matter of there being enough of them that you can always find at least one that's had an accident today.

• Options
    Oh I mean Teslas going in random directions happens under human control, too, and the explosions are mostly what they seem to do whenever they're in any kind of accident. They're just very poorly made vehicles.

There are other autonomous cars in use with far, far lower incident rates. I'm not opposed to autonomous cars at all but I fundamentally do not trust Tesla to do a good job.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    yo what if the cosmological principle isn't true

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    yo what if the cosmological principle isn't true

g2cw0n8i3r4d.jpg

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    very glad we did a coup for all that lithium to build murder batteries

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I like that there’s one who grabbed the first thing that came to hand, gave it a squeeze and was all “nah, there’s gotta be better than this” and tried two more before remembering he had two hands and left with both full…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
This discussion has been closed.